IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair. I do sometimes look at International football and wonder if s lot of top and 2nd level down sides have weakened from the 2000s.

Definitely has. Maybe because there's less flair players particularly in the Brazil team. Italy always had great defenders and strikers. Holland exciting players in midfield. France has probably stayed around same. Argentina don't seem to have many players playing for the elite teams from what I can think. 

But in turn I think some of the lower down teams have got better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Definitely has. Maybe because there's less flair players particularly in the Brazil team. Italy always had great defenders and strikers. Holland exciting players in midfield. France has probably stayed around same. Argentina don't seem to have many players playing for the elite teams from what I can think. 

But in turn I think some of the lower down teams have got better.

France had a huge decline for a time, or boom and bust under Domenech but they are back up there again.

Germany are strange I look at them on paper and a lot are playing top Leagues. Yet 2 World Cups and a Euros they were very underwhelming. Good attacking and possession stats, but terrible results.

Argentina are probably on the slide now. They have Martinez and Alvarez for 2, Messi is towards the end. Yeah possibly some stars supported by hard working squad players. Well coached?

Definitely Brazil. Italy are strange, they went through a phase of some very good midfielders, the 3 I mentioned plus some others but steadily weaker in other areas.

Some have got better for sure, not least Switzerland and Belgium. Turkey, Ukraine, Romania overall all less technical maybe and Bulgaria disappeared entirely.

Serbia and before them.Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro seem to underachieve no matter the year at tournaments.  I look at their squad and who they play for at recent tournaments and their qualifiers to get there and think they're decent and yet. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

France had a huge decline for a time, or boom and bust under Domenech but they are back up there again.

Germany are strange I look at them on paper and a lot are playing top Leagues. Yet 2 World Cups and a Euros they were very underwhelming. Good attacking and possession stats, but terrible results.

Argentina are probably on the slide now. They have Martinez and Alvarez for 2, Messi is towards the end. Yeah possibly some stars supported by hard working squad players. Well coached?

Definitely Brazil. Italy are strange, they went through a phase of some very good midfielders, the 3 I mentioned plus some others but steadily weaker in other areas.

Some have got better for sure, not least Switzerland and Belgium. Turkey, Ukraine, Romania overall all less technical maybe and Bulgaria disappeared entirely.

Serbia and before them.Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro seem to underachieve no matter the year at tournaments.  I look at their squad and who they play for at recent tournaments and their qualifiers to get there and think they're decent and yet. 

Some of the Asians teams are better especially Japan. Australia used to have some household names, mainly playing here. None I can think now. 

I do think the African teams though have declined thinking about it though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Germany crumbled for a period of 2/3 tournaments, but they're in a much better place than they have been since 2016. Rebuilding nicely and some gigh quality young players in Musiala and Wirtz.

Italy are so lacking in talent. Just solid, unspectacular players with very little character.

I'm not sure about France. Better on paper than on the pitch imo. Griezmann isn't the menace he once was and beyond Mbappe they don't have many goalscorers.

Spain are interesting. Not many players that could sell a product but they're clicking again.

• Like 2

On the one hand you look at the potential route to the final of Slovakia, Switzerland and say Austria, and think that’s pretty good. On the other, Switzerland and Austria have looked really impressive and as good as anyone. So big names aside, we would definitely need to raise our game significantly to stand a chance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Germany crumbled for a period of 2/3 tournaments, but they're in a much better place than they have been since 2016. Rebuilding nicely and some gigh quality young players in Musiala and Wirtz.

Italy are so lacking in talent. Just solid, unspectacular players with very little character.

I'm not sure about France. Better on paper than on the pitch imo. Griezmann isn't the menace he once was and beyond Mbappe they don't have many goalscorers.

Spain are interesting. Not many players that could sell a product but they're clicking again.

Mostly agree, perjosd they aged together Germany.

Tend to agree on the rest although Chiesa and Insigne, Immobile was in prime years and delivered goals or could and there was a strong attacking left back who had a bad injury in 2021.

On paper vs a lot of sides we should be well placed but our balance seems suspect and I'm not so sold on some aspects. The LB problem for one.

Just now, Spike said:

Because a lot has changed since then, I'd argue that based on our performances so far that Switzerland would have sent us home too. 

Absolutely they would.

If we win tomorrow I can't say I'm looking forward to us trying to break the Swiss down. Very solid and experienced outfit.

I think their back 3 and keeper Sommer (Serie A keeper of the season) have something like 350 caps between them.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

To a degree although this is rather dismissive of the very good midfield unit we were up against.

We can be quite dismissive over here though, if they aren't shining in our top League eh well.

Fair comment Mr P - I haven’t studied any side other than England in this or any other tournament. I really have no idea how good the Italian midfield was or is now. All I do know is they failed to qualify for the last World Cup and England always seems to try and win games 1-0 and gets caught out often. 

3 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Fair comment Mr P - I haven’t studied any side other than England in this or any other tournament. I really have no idea how good the Italian midfield was or is now. All I do know is they failed to qualify for the last World Cup and England always seems to try and win games 1-0 and gets caught out often. 

Fair, I have some ties to Italy so I am little defensive if I ultimately support England.

Won't Labour the point but they missed a penalty in each of their drawn qualifiers v Switzerland, finishing 2nd however this probably peaked a little after the Euros or kn the final and were on the slide since. Very wasteful v Macedonia and Sweden in playoffs too for WC.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I feel like I’ve just watched a pre season friendly where one team really couldn’t care less ! 

I thought it was insulting to the 24 Championship clubs when one of the commentators stated !It's like watching a team from the Championship taking on one from the Premier League".

Meanwhile on the radio the other day Shearer, Linneker and other former players were discussing "Why can't England win a tournament"? They discussed it though as if they were complete outsiders and not players who've been there and failed themselves.

• Like 1