IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A penalty gives an approx. 75-80% of scoring a goal I think. 

Cannot be right that a cross deflected off a blokes fingers results in that kind of advantage. 

In theory I like the idea of free kicks in the area for unintentional handballs or obstructions, but I do wonder if, as with any rule change, it would just open the game up to new problems. It's tricky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Momentum.

Before the penalty the momentum was with Denmark and Germany was feeling the pressure. Going a goal behind would have ramped up that pressure and caused them to chase the game. The disallowed goal, quickly followed by the dubious penalty gave Germany the buffer of a one goal lead and completely changed the dynamics of the game. 

Let's not forget that Germany had already had a somewhat harsh decision disallowed a goal in the first few minutes. The better team is winning ultimately. Denmark have had chances but don't have the quality up front. 

Good game though! Much more entertaining than watching Italy or England.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Let's not forget that Germany had already had a somewhat harsh decision disallowed a goal in the first few minutes. The better team is winning ultimately. Denmark have had chances but don't have the quality up front. 

From the replays the German striker blatantly blocked the Danish defender who was tracking the "goal" scorer, so not harsh at all.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Some breaks did not go their way today for the Danish, but across the piece thought Germany did enough to win. Did not look unbeatable today, but I suppose all that matters is getting through to the next round every match now. Kasper arguably man of the match, despite being at fault for the second in my view. 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

From the replays the German striker blatantly blocked the Danish defender who was tracking the "goal" scorer, so not harsh at all.

It was like a basketball pick n roll screen, which to me isn't a bad thing, but I appreciate football is a non contact sport now.

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was like a basketball pick n roll screen, which to me isn't a bad thing, but I appreciate football is a non contact sport now.

While I agree that too much of football has taken the physical contact out of the game, i.e.almost every tackle is deemed a foul, I thank that is completely different to this incident, which was a player blatantly body checking a defender off the ball , with the express purpose of preventing that player being able to mark and legitimately challenge a teammate. 

It's the rugby equivalent of tackling a player without the ball.

The funny thing is that Oliver had a great view of the foul and blew for it immediately. It's ironic, but had he not seen it ,what are the odds that VAR would have given the goal?

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Harsh? It's a clear foul unless I watched a different game

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Was interesting hearing Ange’s thoughts on the VAR decisions tonight, given his club voted to keep VAR in place. He clearly isn’t a fan of it!

I presume he didn’t get much of a say..

Maybe none of the managers of all these clubs weren’t asked for their view when voting on VAR?

Tbh someone should question these clubs next season as to why they voted to keep VAR ..

That could be an interesting talking point

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Does anyone else get pissed off when you hear Americans talk about football? Or is it just my old age?

I do agree it's a sorry state of affairs when we need someone explaining this weeks latest rule changes after every game. It's not her opinion though, she just explained everything very well from a rules perspective. Some worrying things that I didn't realise, such as proximity no longer a consideration for penalties, which I think is madness. 

The uncomfortable truth is that human referees and ever increasing technology aren't mixing very well, and it's going to get worse. I'd hate to be a referee now. FIFA need to remember that 99.9% of football played all over the world, right down to the lowest level, has no access to or experience of this techie stuff. They really risk alienating people. 

When you hang a door, the bottom hinge is always further from the bottom edge than the top hinge is from the top edge. We do this because it looks right. Use a tape to measure to the nearest millimetre and it will look crap, much like football with too much technology. For me, lets limit it to goal line technology, a person in the middle with a whistle and 2 people running the sidelines with flags. That was more than enough to make it the most popular game in the world. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I do agree it's a sorry state of affairs when we need someone explaining this weeks latest rule changes after every game. It's not her opinion though, she just explained everything very well from a rules perspective. Some worrying things that I didn't realise, such as proximity no longer a consideration for penalties, which I think is madness. 

The uncomfortable truth is that human referees and ever increasing technology aren't mixing very well, and it's going to get worse. I'd hate to be a referee now. FIFA need to remember that 99.9% of football played all over the world, right down to the lowest level, has no access to or experience of this techie stuff. They really risk alienating people. 

Regarding the handball part of what her (name??) used was opinion. She did not explain how the Denmark players arm wasnt in a unnatural position. Heres another opinion the players arm was in natural position as the players arm was in a position justifiable by his body movement for that specific situation and there i quote the law.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Regarding the handball part of what her (name??) used was opinion. She did not explain how the Denmark players arm wasnt in a unnatural position. Heres another opinion the players arm was in natural position as the players arm was in a position justifiable by his body movement for that specific situation and there i quote the law.  

I've all but given up with the natural/unnatural position part of it , when it comes to decisions it doesn't seem to matter. 

Screenshot2024-06-30at06_54_17.png.3a5e59f5b8e12d20f561585c0a0ccc8f.png  Screenshot2024-06-30at06_54_38.png.27e89da4eec2b7a43fd8ffcfd6a39b7d.png

first two random photos of "sliding tackle " on Google . The arm is stretched out as balance and as it's a normal thing, then it's a natural position, but.... The arm is away from the body , so if a ball hits it , Pen.  

Still in a natural position , but still a Pen. 
They play with wording , they mess with rules , but it rarely gets better and never gets simpler .

• Like 1

For 100 odd years football was fine, and they seem to be now mucking about with the rules to try and accommodate VAR.  Refs and linesman especially don't even bother to make decisions anymore.  With offside everyone knew where they stood, yeh sometimes the decisions were wrong but you could always accept it if it was close I.e. I can see why he gave it.  They used to give the advantage to the attacker if it was close, but that's long gone now.  The joy of a goal is now ruined as you never know if some computer is going to rule it out.  I see zero benefit to any VAR apart from goal line tech, but I fear it's here to stay

• Like 3