IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

39 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I think if you asked each manager before a game if they wanted to use VAR and they had to be in agreement to use it or not, you'd never see it again.

Well the clubs had a vote  but presumably the managers weren’t consulted or wanted to keep it infact ?

Edited by Markthehorn

30 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Interesting game of decisions last night...

Brave (not wrong) of Oliver to disllow the Germany goal in the early mins

Offside is offside but no-one checked much to see if the ball actually came off the German.

Handball was shite , they need to sort the rules out 

It was as a result of the rules (laws) being " sorted out" that the handball was shite!.

26 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Well the clubs had a vote  but presumably the managers weren’t consulted or wanted to keep it infact ?

I'm sure they were consulted but wouldn't have the final say regardless.

The recent vote included a list of improvements the PL were going to make, they've decided to give it a go.

Maybe they look at it again in a season or two, see if the proposed changes improve things.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Moving screen - offensive foul!

Probably by the letter of the law that's a foul. And technically the offside call was correct too. I'd prefer that both goals stand but it's not my choice. The German penalty was very harsh, but probably just about a correct use of the laws. It's frustrating and the rules do need to change.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I've all but given up with the natural/unnatural position part of it , when it comes to decisions it doesn't seem to matter. 

Screenshot2024-06-30at06_54_17.png.3a5e59f5b8e12d20f561585c0a0ccc8f.png  Screenshot2024-06-30at06_54_38.png.27e89da4eec2b7a43fd8ffcfd6a39b7d.png

first two random photos of "sliding tackle " on Google . The arm is stretched out as balance and as it's a normal thing, then it's a natural position, but.... The arm is away from the body , so if a ball hits it , Pen.  

Still in a natural position , but still a Pen. 
They play with wording , they mess with rules , but it rarely gets better and never gets simpler .

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

I dont think the wording  in law 12 there for handball above is poor its EUFA have a different idea of what natural is. Those pics show players in natural positions but i think eufa see any arm being away from the body as unnatural and this is natural now as in natural for what they think should happen as natural for that situation.

Hands behind the back | Nana Attackora cleverly hides his ha… | Flickr

Try running around with your arms behind your body like that and it isnt natural. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Probably by the letter of the law that's a foul. And technically the offside call was correct too. I'd prefer that both goals stand but it's not my choice. The German penalty was very harsh, but probably just about a correct use of the laws. It's frustrating and the rules do need to change.

I'm intrigued that you think that Germany's disallowed goal should have stood, likening the German players premeditated block on the defender to a basketball move, as though that legitemizes it.

If so, then I presume you'd be happy with this scenario. A striker has beaten has beaten the full back and pulls the ball back to the penalty spot. A defender is on the floor on the edge of the box and another striker is running into the area at speed to pick up the pass. The defender realising he will not be able to catch and tackle him,  stands up and just blocks his run, allowing the keeper to collect the ball. Other than this prevented a goal, rather than enabling one to be scored, the actions are the same.

Would/should that also be allowed?

In this scenario it's highly likely, and correct, that the defender would be red carded for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Why should the same offence ( a "professional" foul on a layer who doesn't have the ball not be penalised, just because it was at the other end of the pitch and that it enabled a goal scoring opportunity?

I'd suggest that had Germany's disallowed goal been against their team, but had been allowed to stand, fans of every club, having seen the replay, would be apoplectic - as would we.

• Like 1

Why not just make handball anywhere on the pitch (including in the box) an indirect free kick or something like that?

Maybe it wouldn't work right on the goal line, but I think part of the issue is that the result of the tiniest bit of a hand accidentally touching the ball resulting in a near certain goal is way too much of a game decider. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't matter quite as much.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I'm intrigued that you think that Germany's disallowed goal should have stood, likening the German players premeditated block on the defender to a basketball move, as though that legitemizes it.

If so, then I presume you'd be happy with this scenario. A striker has beaten has beaten the full back and pulls the ball back to the penalty spot. A defender is on the floor on the edge of the box and another striker is running into the area at speed to pick up the pass. The defender realising he will not be able to catch and tackle him,  stands up and just blocks his run, allowing the keeper to collect the ball. Other than this prevented a goal, rather than enabling one to be scored, the actions are the same.

Would/should that also be allowed?

In this scenario it's highly likely, and correct, that the defender would be red carded for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. Why should the same offence ( a "professional" foul on a layer who doesn't have the ball not be penalised, just because it was at the other end of the pitch and that it enabled a goal scoring opportunity?

I'd suggest that had Germany's disallowed goal been against their team, but had been allowed to stand, fans of every club, having seen the replay, would be apoplectic - as would we.

I accepted that it's probably a foul, but yes it would be my preference for there to be more physicality in football, and a screen is fine. This was a fairly aggressive screen so I'm sure people don't like it. My preferences count for nothing.

Technically, the Swiss goal was offside. I'd prefer the benefit go to the attacker whereby they're marginal, but again, it's not in my gift.

My take but whether it is truly aligned is.. 

If your arms are widely stretched out that is blatantly trying to gain an advantage or even if fairly stretched yeah, and as the rules stand.

Arms tucked in, or behind back or whatever- ball comes at them obviously not.

Yesterday wasn't quite either but where are his arms supposed to go?? It felt a ridiculous call and arguably a gsme changer given Denmark post the first 20 or so of Germany dominance were well in the game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Personally I think we should revert to a much simpler rule - it’s only handball if it’s deliberate, and that criterion is down to the subjective judgement of the ref. That’s what the discussion really amounts to - is the player attempting to cheat, or was the contact accidental/unavoidable. All the “unnatural position” rules are really about judging the intent.

• Like 4

Having said all that about Denmark, their finishing in this game and this tournament, they probably have had one of the worst goal to shot ratios. May not have been a game changer anyway.

My rolling position was 2 Goals from 53 Shots in 4 Games. Your underlying numbers sound but your conversion and output...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

We look crap

After 20 mins it's obvious that England are too ponderous in the build up allowing the Slovaks to defend. They on the other hand make rapid stabbing attacks and have come close to scoring three times already.

Off the pitch; a wide variety of place names on the England flags including Bydgoszcz which is in Poland.

As I write, Slovaks take the lead.

31 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

We seriously look like we just haven't got a Scooby Doo

They all look scared!

What happened to getting the ball and driving at them and committing their players

Its easy to play against us because we play back & sideways too much 

get Palmer & Gordon on and tell them to get at their defence 

Foden is no use out wide, play a 3 at the back and give it go for gods sake 

37 minutes ago, INCRED said:

They all look scared!

What happened to getting the ball and driving at them and committing their players

Its easy to play against us because we play back & sideways too much 

get Palmer & Gordon on and tell them to get at their defence 

Foden is no use out wide, play a 3 at the back and give it go for gods sake 

All we're doing at the moment is coming home.

Shit or bust, as you say, bloody go for it!