IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

Pros: 

- 3 points, top of the group.

- Defence is the biggest question and they dealt with Serbia tonight.

Cons:

- So few chances, impressive with the quality of our forwards!

- Felt we lost the ‘fights’, especially in midfield.

- Subs… Gallagher into midfield was fine, but not sure Saka and Bellingham needed to come off, or that Bowen should have been the man to come on! Palmer, Eze?!

3 points so we take it happily. But I’d hope to see a change or two for Denmark. 

• Like 1

A win is a win, we seemed to regress as it went on though.

Bowen and Gallagher gave us a bit of extra energy. In general, we needed to pass and move better, to not take that step back.

We went too deep, Serbia improved. Their front pair are good as is Milinkovic-Savic, Tadic aging now but still has something- they are a decent mid ranking side with strong individuals but won by at least 1 less goal than I thought.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We are unlikely to win under any manager.  We ain’t as good as many think, Serbia ain’t a bad team, have threats.  So good result.  We don’t have depth of quality I’m afraid.  We can defend a game from ahead with subs, but I don’t see us chasing a game late.

I think the issue is we're uneven. With all 11 best players fit, we're pretty good. But...there's great depth in some positions, but not in others. Look at LB, I mean, Trippier FFS

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

Typical performance. More proof we won’t win a thing under him. He doesn’t learn or have the bollocks to make big calls.

The opposition take the game to England and England look very ordinary, that would be the case under any manager they are just not as good as some think. Fortunately there aren't too many teams with good strikers around these days if there were and this England came up against them they would get buried.

3 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

As good as he might be at breaking up play etc, tonight has highlighted how one sided Rice's game is. All right side, no left foot.

Saka had the full back for toast 1st half, never passed him once 2nd half.

Guehi calm and steady alongside Stones. Foden was hopeless.

I thought Rice was very good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Welcome (back) to tournament football one and all. It’s largely crap and boring at this stage. Win your games however you can, and hope your best players don’t get injured. We’ve qualified now, pretty much.  

That was almost the perfect first game. Second half they had absolutely nothing to lose with the others drawing, they could throw everything at us.  

Massively rode our luck, but I’d rather get used to digging deep with a makeshift defence now than for the first time in the knockouts. Pickford had one save to make really. We were pretty solid overall. 

Foden was ******* terrible. I’d start Gordon on Tuesday. 

You say we were solid, but I reckon we'd lose playing like that against a France, Germany or Spain

• Like 2

Just now, SecretSam said:

I think the issue is we're uneven. With all 11 best players fit, we're pretty good. But...there's great depth in some positions, but not in others. Look at LB, I mean, Trippier FFS

But he was really solid tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

But Southgate won’t take him off ! Toney or Watkins should have come on for some fresh legs and to give the Serbian defenders something different to deal with. 

absolutely the wrong game for Watkins. Toney, perhaps

• Like 2

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

You say we were solid, but I reckon we'd lose playing like that against a France, Germany or Spain

Maybe. Or maybe having shaw back, and the poor performers tonight having better games, the game being more open to start with, we’re even better. 

Last time we play Germany we beat them, and were unlucky to not take the France game further. Spain didn’t look fantastic yesterday did they. 

We may never know. That’s why football is so loved!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We are unlikely to win under any manager.  We ain’t as good as many think, Serbia ain’t a bad team, have threats.  So good result.  We don’t have depth of quality I’m afraid.  We can defend a game from ahead with subs, but I don’t see us chasing a game late.

There was a stat before the game where we had maybe 5 players in the top 15 players in Europe with the most goals and assists this season.  

We should be able to produce better than that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

But he was really solid tonight.

Seriously? He gives me the heebee-jeebies. And offers nothing in attack. Cuts inside and limits our options. 

And I know that there's plenty of right footed LBs down the years.

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Pros: 

- 3 points, top of the group.

- Defence is the biggest question and they dealt with Serbia tonight.

Cons:

- So few chances, impressive with the quality of our forwards!

- Felt we lost the ‘fights’, especially in midfield.

- Subs… Gallagher into midfield was fine, but not sure Saka and Bellingham needed to come off, or that Bowen should have been the man to come on! Palmer, Eze?!

3 points so we take it happily. But I’d hope to see a change or two for Denmark. 

No issue with what Bowen did when he came on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Let’s be honest, typical Serbian team. Hard as nails, constant fouling, physical which isn’t what the likes of Foden or Saka are best suited to

…and I think that constant fouling and physicality takes it toll, especially as we aren’t a physical team.  Kane took a lot of challenges / fouls for the team second half.  But the less physical players in our team, it eventually tires you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Let’s be honest, typical Serbian team. Hard as nails, constant fouling, physical which isn’t what the likes of Foden or Saka are best suited to

Very similar pass ratio completion to England tbh so there are different ways to measure it. Don't think they're too bad technically.

Element of dragging down to the physical level too of course. 

Would argue Tadic, Milinkovic-Savic and Vlahovic can have some technical ability.

Screenshot_20240616-220946_Chrome.thumb.jpg.af88de12a5f22024d355fa04e7c73268.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Why did Palmer not come on in the second half instead of Bowen or Gallagher. Sums up Southgate 

I thought Bowen and Gallagher both played alright. I would definitely have liked to see Palmer on for someone though