IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

All this Southgate hate is rather bizarre.

I feel fans are going to be in for a big shock when the next manager comes in replace him and we suddenly don't start playing like 1970s Brazil and win every tournament going. Very short memories of just how awful we were previously...

Edited by !james
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

First 20 mins we were amazing, unplayable

Next 70 very normal from England sadly

We still had the three chances in the game though as the defence was solid

Bowen was great, fair play to him

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 1

Safe. Southgate safe.

Foden has become ‘Mr Safe’, an embodiment of Southgate.

Will progress, but until we actually gamble like playing quick balls into attacking space, having the awareness of opposition player positions when receiving the ball and turning with it, to aggressively attack space with/without the ball, one touch passing - accurate, no-look  - we will yet again fail to win the tournament. 

Take the choke off. The best teams have already.

• Like 1

Just now, Midlands Robin said:

Tip of a hat to the Ref who had a great game tonight. 

Good to start with a win but standard Southgate m.o. with a bright and strong start slowly winding down in the later stages 

We will get better. 

I think the refs have been pretty good throughout the tournament and VAR hasn’t been as painful as normal.

the automated offsides are much better

• Like 2

Good first 30 minutes and a really good goal. After then we hung on with a workmanlike display. I didn't mind Bowen and Gallagher coming on. My worry is our left hand side. Tripper is not a left back and coming back on to his right blocks the avenue for Foden who we couldn't get into any threatening positions all night. We need Shaw fit. 

3 minutes ago, !james said:

I feel fans are going to be in for a big shock when the next manager comes in replace him and we suddenly don't start playing like 1970s Brazil and win every tournament going. Very short memories of just how awful we were previously...

I don't think it's hate by any stretch. I think it's more frustration around the fact that his style is very conservative. He's done some good things as manager for example, many managers previously have talked about a "club England" attitude but Southgate has well and truly created it. Every player belted out the National Anthem.

He just needs to take the brakes off a little and trust his players to be a bit more creative.

His tournament record speaks for itself but we can do more. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Who were both very good when they came on?

Bowen put in one good cross, put us more under danger with a dodgy clearance or two.

Gallagher done nothing other than one burst forward.

This is the point. Why aren’t England going for a second with 20 mins left rather than seeing a game out? Vs France or Germany I get it, not bloody Serbia! You bring on Palmer or Eze and you might get another goal or two. 

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Palmer and Gallagher are very different players.

Yep, Palmer brings excitement and a chance of scoring goals.

Makes me laugh some of the comments . Seems some want 10/10 performances all over the pitch . It’s the first game. They were the better side second half but created nothing . Only thing I’d say is we need to control the game a bit better , but Serbia are a tough side . 3 points that’ll do 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Bowen put in one good cross, put us more under danger with a dodgy clearance or two.

This is the point. Why aren’t England going for a second with 20 mins left rather than seeing a game out? Vs France or Germany I get it, not bloody Serbia! You bring on Palmer or Eze and you might get another goal or two. 

Bowen did come on, and we did ‘might’ get enough goal because of him?

Holding a 1-0 win = we’ve basically qualified. Opening up and conceding for a 1-1 draw = it’s wide open. Winning 2-0 vs 1-0 makes no difference at this stage. Thats the difference to tournament football, you’re judged on how many of your 6/7 games every 2 years you win vs 50 games a year at club level. We could’ve been 3-0 up at HT. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Don’t think I agree with your assessment of both of their performances when they came on but that’s the joy of football as we all have our opinions.

Palmer is the more exciting and creative player of the two but we were totally under the cosh when Gallagher came on and Serbia were outmuscling us so Gallagher was brought on to provide more legs and physicality.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Bowen did come on, and we did ‘might’ get enough goal because of him?

Holding a 1-0 win = we’ve basically qualified. Opening up and conceding for a 1-1 draw = it’s wide open. Winning 2-0 vs 1-0 makes no difference at this stage. Thats the difference to tournament football, you’re judged on how many of your 6/7 games every 2 years you win vs 50 games a year at club level. We could’ve been 3-0 up at HT. 

That’s exactly it, we didn’t need the extra goal that Palmer might of brought, we just had to see the game out in the end because we were up against it.

Thats why Gallagher came on and not Palmer.

• Like 2

Foden is so much better than that. I can't understand why he is so often poor for England.

Let's be honest, starting like a train, fizzling out and ending up hanging on is typical England in tournaments. It happened before GS and hasn't changed. It seems to be an England mentality trait. 

Oddly I feel City are very similar. I have no answer as to why but there is probably some deep psychological reason that underlies these kind of traits. Something to do with an inferiority complex, not really believing in yourselves.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, !james said:

It’s just Southgate all over. On the one hand, any objective analysis says we were poor second half. On the other, we have only ever won two opening matches at the Euros, both of those under Southgate.

I do sometimes wonder if Southgate is getting the best out of a squad that is not nearly as good in terms of balance as many seem to think? Or he is failing to get the best out of some truly world class players?  A result and performance that just keeps the ‘Southgate’ discussion going.

Edited by cityexile

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Foden is so much better than that. I can't understand why he is so often poor for England.

Let's be honest, starting like a train, fizzling out and ending up hanging on is typical England in tournaments. It happened before GS and hasn't changed. It seems to be an England mentality trait. 

Oddly I feel City are very similar. I have no answer as to why but there is probably some deep psychological reason that underlies these kind of traits. Something to do with an inferiority complex, not really believing in yourselves.

The only way we can fit him in centrally, is dropping Bellingham back into cm.  

But if Southgate did that after how good Bellingham was in a more advanced role tonight, he’d get pelters. 

Cant really win. 

One thing I will say about us under Southgate, in tournaments the stats bear this out and in some qualifying campaigns.

We are often quite clinical. We don't need 9,10, 12 shots for a goal like some sides often, the question is how much of that is down to him and his approach, how much is down to players that we have.

I don’t think Southgate quite gets it. Inverted full backs does not mean you play your full backs in midfield. Oh and right back means right not left. Some time back he was told he had a difficult decision because he had a number of decent right backs. Does that mean he should play them all with two out of position. 

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Agree. It’s a mindset. Unfortunately, it’s been reinforced by Southgate.

Foden is a classic. For England he receives the ball, first or second touch is a simple pass backwards that my granny could ‘complete’. His role is to provide the ‘magic and sparkle’, which he does for Man City.

Too late, but a Cloughie or Warnock- type would go absolutely ballistic at such potentially game-changing players adopting a nice, comfortable safe playing style.
We need to find someone like a Cloughie to change our lazy/easy mindset and get players to fulfill their potential and become aggressive, adventurous winners. 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Agree. It’s a mindset. Unfortunately, it’s been reinforced by Southgate.

Foden is a classic. For England he receives the ball, first or second touch is a simple pass backwards that my granny could ‘complete’. His role is to provide the ‘magic and sparkle’, which he does for Man City.

Too late, but a Cloughie or Warnock- type would go absolutely ballistic at such potentially game-changing players adopting a nice, comfortable safe playing style.
We need to find someone like a Cloughie to change our lazy/easy mindset and get players to fulfill their potential and become aggressive, adventurous winners. 

Ange Posteglou maybe 🤔 

Impressed with Guehi tonight who I have criticised previously in friendlies. Thought we were sound centrally, just feel our weakness is out wide.

That was probably the worst I’ve seen Foden play. Clean sheet and a win on the board, but we obviously need to be much better!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Your right iPlayer is useless, always buffering and lagging. ITVx and Channel 4 are much better.

Bollocks, iplayer is far superior to itv when streamed on a TV. Offers HDR and 50fps whereas itv no HDR and 25fps which for the uninitiated means lag on the flight/speed of the ball/play. So much for capitalism eh!!!

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

FFS iPlayer, I might as well be in another time zone

Stop reading this forum then and focus on the game!