IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

1 minute ago, Hxj said:

I find this style of commentary interesting.

You could equally say:

"If Southgate discovered a small fire in his kitchen, he’d sit with his hands in his pockets, staring blankly at it and thinking having analysed the risks and the pros and cons of all available actions decided that with the lack of any real threats right ‘let’s see how this pans out for another half hour before I do anything’."

As part of one job I used to run some negotiation training, sadly nothing more exciting than financial/contract stuff.  However convincing people that just because a negotiation was failing, or other side changed tactics, you didn't have to immediately react was hard work.  Leaving matters to boil away for a while isn't a problem, providing you have considered other actions, and found them unattractive. 

It is not always about what is the best option, its often about choosing one which doesn't commit you along a course of action which might create greater regrets.  Sitting on your hands and doing nothing can be incredibly powerful.

Hmm.. reads a bit like Preston away last season 🤔

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I was also there, I'm interested what bit you mean

Only because my memory is a bit foggy on what was reported and I was lucky enough to avoid everything.

I was down on the waterfront moments before the trouble happened but must have got away at the right time after collecting my ticket - and then the trouble in the ground was in the opposite corner from me. I could see it happening but wasn't involved. Afterwards was fine, we were stood outside the ground waiting for mates as all the Russians poured out and there was no trouble whatsoever.

I was mainly commenting on our press stating that the trouble was instigated by English fans when they were in fact ambushed by russians who had set up English flags in a pub, as English walked in they were being picked off.

Inside the stadium the Russians actually went into the mixed disabled section and we're randomly taking aim! Again our press said the English were to blame

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The thing I liked about Sven was he picked players he thought were best/ most effective for his system, not necessarily the best club players.  Players like Trevor Sinclair.

Sven had a great work/life balance didn't he. I don't expect he spent his nights in bed obsessing over Foden and TAA 😜

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Absolute prime Euros this. 2pm game most probably scoffed at, screamers galore, underdogs winning. The beautiful game. 

Something magical about the afternoon games isn’t there

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I was mainly commenting on our press stating that the trouble was instigated by English fans when they were in fact ambushed by russians who had set up English flags in a pub, as English walked in they were being picked off.

Inside the stadium the Russians actually went into the mixed disabled section and were randomly taking aim! Again our press said the English were to blame

It’s the gutter press at their absolute worst.

Will never forget them offering drunken England fans beer money to start a little scrap in France.

I’m sure the Scots will lap it up and use it as the differentiator between the Tartan Army and English scum. 

• Like 1

Way I see it, Serbia are a decent mid ranking side with some impressive individuals. Thought we may win by 2 instead of 1, but decent side albeit I'd argue that in WC 2018, 2022 I expected more from.

Also won their Nations League group including decisive wins in Sweden and Haaland, Odegaard Norway plus topped Portugal in WC 2022 qualification.

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, was just pointing out that the Serbs wouldn't need much more encouragement with England in town.

I've been to Belgrade and you can still see bullet holes in some buildings from the airstrikes. The US embassy was quite a sight too, a three storey building with no windows on the front, and huge fences at the front, due to security risk!

Really want to get to Belgrade next. Would also recommend Sarajevo, a beautiful city that also has the scars of mortar rounds.

• Like 2

Guehi was the biggest positive for me last night. The main question mark on him now is can he do it against a top striker (i.e. a level up from Mitrovic and Valhaovic)? We all know that Jude has top quality so no surprise to see him turn it on at times despite being clearly targeted. Rice was decent when you consider what he was playing with in there and Saka impressed for 45 minutes. Pickford, Walker and Trippier turned up and did a 7/10 job, nothing special but did it nonetheless.

Stones, Foden, Trent and Kane (for an hour) were major disappointments for me and longer into the tournament we need to play a left footed Left Back. Of the subs, the game was made for Gallagher because we turned it into a scrap ourselves!! Ratted around and won us free kicks at the end so we could see the game out - not my favourite player and not a player to bring on at 0-1 but made the latter stages more comfortable for us imo. Bowen was alright and displayed one bit of genuine quality tbf.

For me the Trent experiment failed miserably (one decent shot versus allowing Serbia far too much possession doesn't cut it imo - give France or Spain that level of possession in the hope he plays one brilliant 50 yard pass and see how it goes..........) and should be binned and I would be tempted to give Foden one more game to show his Man City form otherwise it's Eze or Gordon on the left for me (with Luke Shaw ideally). He can't deliver that game after game.

We will be better than that going forward.

• Like 3

I would drop Foden for the next game. He isnt as good as Bellingham as a 10 and as a winger Eze / Gordon are better. If England win and its a free game against Slovenia id play Foden as the 10 and either drop Bellingham back or rest him. Southgate has to be ruthless

6 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Southgate tries his best but he's a crap manager, hopefully he ends up at Man Utd or North Bristol 😆 

Whether Southgate is the man is a separate debate, I have doubts certainly in respect of winning a tournament  those key tactical battles albeit midfield was our undoing in 2018, 2021 and to a degree v Holland in 2019 Nations League and even vs the Czechs in the 2019 qualifier over there.

The control issues the midfield seen to be finally sorting themselves out, but vs the other major contenders we'll see.

Italy over there in the first qualifier was a significant improvement on the final but had they regressed too? Bit of both maybe.

After last night, we are the First Nation in Euros history to keep 5 straight clean sheets in groups games. 

If that were an Italian/German/Spanish side, we’d be praising how well structured and hard to beat they are, and probably longing for it…!!

• Like 11

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

Credit to the Slovakian player who chased a ball that many would have given up on and put the ball out for a throw in instead of a Belgian goal kick 

Yeah that's fair.

At the time I thought he perhaps could have done more to try to keep the ball in (not that it would have been easy) but they pressed the throw and forced an error from it.

Was the type of ball too many players give up on and just let it run out.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I would drop Foden for the next game. He isnt as good as Bellingham as a 10 and as a winger Eze / Gordon are better. If England win and its a free game against Slovenia id play Foden as the 10 and either drop Bellingham back or rest him. Southgate has to be ruthless

Cole Palmer is at the top of his game at the moment deserves a start imho.