IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

Just now, !james said:

I'd argue the movement of his arms was justifiable by his running motion, wasn't a deliberate move to handle the ball. 

The rules are the rules so it's an offence but as we've seen in the premier league this season it's an absolute mess

Certainly is pal, just like the daft offside 'delay'. WTF is that about?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Big win for Slovakia.

Think that handball decision was harsh though.

Lukaku was cursed today. Clear chance he fluffed, chance off the line and two tight VAR calls to disallow goals. Agree the hand ball very harsh.

3 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Big win for Slovakia.

Harsh , and worse when you think if it was the defender it wouldn't have ben given . 

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I wonder if Belgium would have taken an uninspiring 1-0 win? Not all gimme’s these games.

A few times I thought of posting similar.

It's a not perfect, but similar parallel, Slovakia weaker than Serbia and Belgium weaker than England.

Belgium and England both would have been expecting to get a win in their game.

defender didn't even appeal for a handball as far as I could see. wasn't his arm sort of pushed into the ball by the momentum of their defender? just feels wrong. 

As for the coverage - seeing the damned "snick-o-meter" and hearing that so-called VAR expert - was anybody asking for that? Awful stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, handsofclay said:

Although it looked like he didn't deliberately handball it the ball fell into his path due to it hitting his hand, therefore he gained an advantage from a handball albeit he didn't plan on that.

Does the 'advantage' bit have any bearing on the decision? I genuinely don't know.

The problem with VAR is that it's taken away the fundamental moment of joy celebrating a goal.

If the players have lined up for the restart before anyone notices something wrong, it can't have been an obvious mistake. The defender made no appeal, no shout from the crowd.

Along with someone's fingernail playing him offside, if you're taking about millimeters, I'd much rather any advantage is with the attacker and no messing around wasting time with people in a room and ref having to go to look at a screen. It's just unnecessary complications. KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I do agree with this, hence my unbalanced squad comment earlier.  We probably have a couple of players who aren’t suited to a position / role (TAA / Foden) in the system that Southgate plays.  The problem (?j is the quality of the players that might fit.

The thing I liked about Sven was he picked players he thought were best/ most effective for his system, not necessarily the best club players.  Players like Trevor Sinclair.

He dropped Mcmamaman for Trevor Sinclair because he felt threatened by him (came from the Real Madrid of Zidane, Raul, Hierro, Figo where the players more or less ran the team).

He was a dreadful England manager. Pulled the wool over people's eyes.

That collection of players didn’t even make a semi final.  Miles better than the 2018 squad for example. People said Southgate doesn’t react to things happening in games. Ericsson was different level with this

1 minute ago, fgrsimon said:

The problem with VAR is that it's taken away the fundamental moment of joy celebrating a goal.

This gets said a lot but I dont think it's actually true.

Dont get me wrong I dont like VAR and its a terrible stadium experience (especially at places with no screen / notice that VAR is looking) but from talking to mates who go regularly to Prem games, they dont think its ever stopped them celebrating a goal

If the players have lined up for the restart before anyone notices something wrong, it can't have been an obvious mistake. The defender made no appeal, no shout from the crowd.

The players not noticing it doesn't necessarily mean a mistake hasnt been made though.

Along with someone's fingernail playing him offside, if you're taking about millimeters, I'd much rather any advantage is with the attacker and no messing around wasting time with people in a room and ref having to go to look at a screen. It's just unnecessary complications. KISS principle - keep it simple, stupid.

Offside is very objective though, that's down to the rule, not VAR.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yes. Had they not scored from it, it wouldn’t have been reviewed, so the advantage had everything to do with it.

Well obviously, if there's no goal it wouldnt need to be reviewed as it wouldnt be a red card potential

2 minutes ago, cellist said:

defender didn't even appeal for a handball as far as I could see. wasn't his arm sort of pushed into the ball by the momentum of their defender? just feels wrong. 

As for the coverage - seeing the damned "snick-o-meter" and hearing that so-called VAR expert - was anybody asking for that? Awful stuff.

Sorry to sound all Joey Barton on you but she is awful. No wonder they bring her in after the decision is made so she can just support whatever they say. Awful coverage on ITV this year

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Yes. Had they not scored from it, it wouldn’t have been reviewed, so the advantage had everything to do with it.

That makes sense. The 'handball' wouldn't have even registered then. It does make the rules a bit of a mockery tbh as in 'when is a handball not a handball'?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Exactly my point. The question was does the advantage play a part in the decision. It’s the biggest part of the decision 

Is 'advantage' in the rule book out of interest? I totally agree with you BTW.

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Sorry to sound all Joey Barton on you but she is awful. No wonder they bring her in after the decision is made so she can just support whatever they say. Awful coverage on ITV this year

Being compared as better than Mike Dean or Peter Walton but that is a low bar !

Probably gives the pundits more excuses to not know the rules themselves ..

24 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Big win for Slovakia.

It was but I think wasn’t surprised honestly. Cruel rule.

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Definitely, it's one of the biggest ever at the Euros in terms of ranking

For sure but I think Belgium’s ranking is a hangover from the ‘golden generation’, I’m surprised they lost but not to the extent I would be if Germany, France or someone lost. Belgium just seem to have that in them.

24 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Any contact to the hand in an unnatural position that leads to an advantage is the rule I believe.

i think the ball bouncing at head height and hitting a hand is pretty unnatural.

I think the rule is that if the ball is in contact with an attackers hand (even if accidental) and a goal results then it's handball and the goal is ruled out.

The idiocy of making such a  prescriptive change to the laws is that exactly the same accidental handball in the penalty area by a defender is not handball!

We all know when pundits say, about a tackle in the penalty area, " anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul"? In the case of handball by an attacker in the penalty area, " anywhere else on the pitch it's not handball"

If it's handball, then surely it's handball wherever it occured and whoever committed the handball. 

• Like 1