IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Probably, but that’s because that’s where they are now. Their golden generation 6 or 8 years ago wouldn’t have done.

It's tournament football. Italy didn't set the world alight in the last Euro's but got the job done..........has a team ever won a competition and played like world beaters for 7 games in a row? We get this in every tournament and nobody seems to remember it. Someone sets the world alight at the start, everyone says their name is on the trophy and it's pointless anyone else turning up................then two weeks later once they've played someone with both quality and resilience, the 6-0 group game win is long forgotten and all their lads are in Marbs or Ibiza while other sides are still scrapping it out.

• Like 2

MarcusX, yes good points and there are certainly arguments on both sides but it already has stopped me celebrating a goal in Euro2024 - the first Swiss goal against Hungary. Even though perversely it was actually eventually correctly given by VAR. Couldn't celebrate the goal when it went in because the linesman got a marginal offside wrong, so it was immediately disallowed. I dunno celebrating 3 mins after the goal went in just isn't the same. Whereas with 'my' rule, it was a marginal offside, advantage with the attacking player, goal given straight away.

The other thing I have against VAR is that whether it's a sunday pub league or the World Cup final, the game should be the same. Now it's already a different game in the PL v The Championship because PL has VAR and we don't.

But the whole thing is subjective, some are in favour some aren't. 

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

France’s bench…..

I fancy a bit of an upset here though. Austria are better than most people think and France quite often struggle in group games.

So far ITV have barely mentioned Austria in the build up!

30 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

I fancy a bit of an upset here though. Austria are better than most people think and France quite often struggle in group games.

So far ITV have barely mentioned Austria in the build up!

I think they have been causing France problems with their pressing. 

That really annoys me. The Austrian clearly blocked him to his body so why does Dembele go down clutching his face?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

I think it was from the possession from that goal kick that they scored.

Agree: I think they said on the TV that it was a minute or two later, but certainly the same ‘phase of play’ as they say - Austria can count themselves very unlucky I think. 

• Like 1

Was quite interesting to hear the commentator say that Deschamps "isn't universally popular at home despite his record, criticised for being too conservative, calls for him to take the handbrake off all of the attacking talent at his disposal"

If he's getting stick then what chance has Southgate got?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

God forbid we get exposed and struggle like this by a side like Austria 

I didn't think France were especially impressive in the 2022 world cup despite reaching the final, including the game against us. Neither England nor France played to their potential imo. We'll see if they do in this tournament. 

2 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

The French getting every refereeing decision like in the World Cup 🤦‍♂️

What constitutes a foul against a French player seems different to that against an Austrian.

Probably influenced by the degree of orgasmic reaction by the commentators to almost every touch by a French player - yes they are great players, but really? 

What a miss. Mbappe - is he really all that? :)

• Like 1