IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

After he’s been smacked in the knee from behind - I’d be livid if that wasn’t given for England

Looks like they both happened together 

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I still don't think it was a pen am I the only one?!

If it had been a City player you'd have been livid if no penalty given.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

After he’s been smacked in the knee from behind - I’d be livid if that wasn’t given for England

The 'pundits' in the studio couldn't see any reason why the ref refused the penalty but I'd question whether Armstrong had the ball under control and rather looked for the penalty. 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Make no mistake, I’m not disappointed with the result one bit. Still a pen though 😂😂

Probably one for @Davefevsskills, go to 78.03, I have a suspicion it could have been offside anyway 

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Scotch 17 is determined not to be in a position to shoot - and potentially miss their best chance - and way more interested in trying to win a pen. Verdict: ref was correct. Ref's an Argyle,  he knows what he's looking at. What's he looking at? Cheating. 

Nae pen, nae party, nae Scotch.

Exactly, when players are going full pelt towards the ball and the one in front suddenly stalls the one behind is still going full pelt there's bound to then be contact but it was initiated by Armstrong's decision to stall and put his leg backwards. They make it sound like defenders have perfected a dubious skill in bringing down attackers with a knee on the calf when backing into them.

VAR was right it was definitely not a clear and obvious error from the referee. The BBC, and the English pundits, are going overboard in their love in with the Scots. 

Just now, North London Red said:

German TV saying there was an offside in the build up, hence no review for the penalty incident. 

I did wonder that at the time. My first instinct was that he was offside.

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The 'pundits' in the studio couldn't see any reason why the ref refused the penalty but I'd question whether Armstrong had the ball under control and rather looked for the penalty. 

If only we could hear the communication to help us understand why?

Hungary deserved that in the end .

Had the better chances in a poor game .

Hope the Hungary  lad is ok.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

To me it looked very much like he was looking for the penalty. He gets in front of the defender but does his chances of getting a penalty no favours by:

a) pulling the defenders shirt.

b) slowing up and letting the ball get away from him a bit. It didn't look like he could get a dot away where it was.

c) leaning into the line of the defender, made it very much like he initiated contact

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If it had been a City player you'd have been livid if no penalty given.

Quite honestly I'd be more livid that the City player spoiled a great opportunity through on goal to stall and look for contact to claim a penalty.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Scotland gave all they could, but really a complete lack of an attacking threat until they started taking a few risks late on. A pen for me mind, so maybe a bit o& a tough one.

Scotland have had poor attacking options for years. Hence one of the reasons they have to call-up a young lad from Somerset who isn't Scottish, I guess. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 2

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Scotland have had poor attacking options for years. Hence one of the reasons they have to call-up a young lad from Sonerset who isn't Scottish, I guess. 

Shankland looked lively when he came on, offered more than Adams has across the three games at least 

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Shankland looked lively when he came on, offered more than Adams has across the three games at least 

Was thinking the same about Adams. Can't think of 1 thing he did over the 3 games. 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

😂😂 her on talkSPORT with a obvious dig. She said. Well we got the best fans , they don’t slag off the manager & players 😂😂 bitter bitter people. With their inferiority complex. Just like gasheads 

It’s like nobody’s ever travelled in numbers before to a euro competition

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Scotland have had poor attacking options for years. Hence one of the reasons they have to call-up a young lad from Sonerset who isn't Scottish, I guess. 

Yep. They had a go last ten, and as they did got caught on the break three or four times. They could themselves maybe have nicked it late on, but they are the only side to have created less than us. I do think it’s no lack of effort, they just do not have the players.

• Like 1

If the ball had still been at his feet and that had happened then that would have been a bang on penalty. 

12 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Scotch 17 is determined not to be in a position to shoot - and potentially miss their best chance - and way more interested in trying to win a pen. 

I completely agree with this. In the replay you can see he left the ball and jumps in front of the Hungarian defender, looking for the pen 

Even the Scottish commentator on the Beeb admitted the striker slowed down and initiated the contact but then said he was entitled to as he was in control of the ball. That's the point though, he steps to his left and was clearly no longer interested in the ball.

Anyway, **** 'em. I'm glad they're out. 

I read today that the Scottish FA had been fined because some of their fans had thrown objects on to the pitch in their last game. If that had been England it would have been front page news on every tabloid with headlines such as "England fans night of shame"

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yeah but he came on when it was much more open and you had two teams desperately trying to score a goal. Very different to the circumstances Adams played in. He had very little/poor service. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

😂😂 her on talkSPORT with a obvious dig. She said. Well we got the best fans , they don’t slag off the manager & players 😂😂 bitter bitter people. With their inferiority complex. Just like gasheads 

I've seen loads of their fans being critical of the manager. 

6 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

That Angus Gunn interview was a bit weird! Was he trying to hold back tears or is he normally like that? And had no idea about that collision with the Hungary player 

It was strange wasn’t it 

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Probably one for @Davefevsskills, go to 78.03, I have a suspicion it could have been offside anyway 

First though watching live was Armstrong went too early…offside.  Thought Shankland guilty of running into offside positions too.

Just seen it on bbc news, can’t pause it in right spot, but offside.  I understand German tv said that was why there was no var check.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

If the ball had still been at his feet and that had happened then that would have been a bang on penalty. 

I completely agree with this. In the replay you can see he left the ball and jumps in front of the Hungarian defender, looking for the pen 

Even the Scottish commentator on the Beeb admitted the striker slowed down and initiated the contact but then said he was entitled to as he was in control of the ball. That's the point though, he steps to his left and was clearly no longer interested in the ball.

I read today that the Scottish FA had been fined because some of their fans had thrown objects on to the pitch in their last game. If that had been England it would have been front page news on every tabloid with headlines such as "England fans night of shame"

Things were thrown at the German penalty taker (Havertz) in the first game as well, nothing in the media. I just caught it in a replay during the highlights.

couldn't see a mention in the national media of the three Scottish “fans” that beat up a German woman either 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

They really are the Bristol Rovers of international football. 

All tournament all i've heard is they have the best fans there etc etc just like the Gas them lot. They're desperate for some attention and they use their hate for England to get some.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

20 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

That Angus Gunn interview was a bit weird! Was he trying to hold back tears or is he normally like that? And had no idea about that collision with the Hungary player 

Probably emotion from being out of the euros but also concern for the guy.

But Angus did absolutey nothing wrong.

In fact the only time I saw it, it looked like he only collided with his own team mate.

Strange. Are we even sure that this was a collision or did he just collapse?

Edited by AppyDAZE

17 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

In all honesty there’s been a lot of things thrown onto the pitch during this tournament so far and by multiple countries fans

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Probably emotion from being out of the euros but also concern for the guy.

But Angus did absolutey nothing wrong.

In fact the only time I saw it, it looked like he only collided with his own team mate.

Strange. Are we even sure that this was a collision or did he just collapse?

I've watched it a few times and it looked like there was minimal contact if any so maybe he did collapse 

Actually just seen a pic. He catches Gunns elbow to the side of his face 

Edited by Fpcity
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

I've watched it a few times and it looked like there was minimal contact if any so maybe he did collapse 

Actually just seen a pic. He catches Gunns elbow to the side of his face 

Cheers. It does sound like there is a good outcome to this in any case. Apparently he was talking to staff on the way to hospital.

All the best to the young man. Imagine your son being at the euros and this happens. Thoughts with all his family and friends.

Edit: I've now seen the photo.

Yes, Gunn's elbow/shoulder catches Varga straight in the face.

All accidental and one of those things in football.

I have a feeling he'll be fine, although concerning at the time.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Scotland have had poor attacking options for years. Hence one of the reasons they have to call-up a young lad from Somerset who isn't Scottish, I guess. 

Indeed. In reality, like the republic of Ireland they are a fairly poor footballing nation.

For as much as Souness has been trying to peddle the narrative that Scotland are a small nation in terms of population the fact is smaller nations (Croatia namely) continually keep outperforming them on the international stage.

Happy to see them out to be honest, i still stand by the fact that Wales particularly in the modern era produce better players than than the sweaties.. Giggs, Bale and Ramsey are the evidence for that..!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. In reality, like the republic of Ireland they are a fairly poor footballing nation.

For as much as Souness has been trying to peddle the narrative that Scotland are a small nation in terms of population the fact is smaller nations (Croatia namely) continually keep outperforming them on the international stage.

It is weird how the likes of Croatia and so forth can produce such quality with a smaller population. I guess they've a better climate, which helps, and maybe they have a different structure. I don't know if their top league is more competitive, but all their best players go abroad anyway. Maybe that's Scotland's problem, too many players at home - experience at City suggests that they are prone to homesickness.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Maybe that's Scotland's problem, too many players at home - experience at City suggests that they are prone to homesickness.

Only 8 of them play for Scottish teams. 2 of those are their 2nd and 3rd goalies.

Surely a bigger problem is that unless they're totally indoctrinated any player who is any good probably qualifies for, and therefore declares for, England (because we're all British). A fair whack of the current England team probably have a Scottish grandparent somewhere in their family tree.

If Conway had a high chance of an England shirt there's no way he'd declare for Scotland.

Until the four "nations" properly unify and we end the petty squabbles and separation of the teams none of them will achieve anything.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He reason the ref refused to award a pen was he believed he saw a player trying to win a pen, when he had his side's clearest chance to not only get a shot on target but score and likely win.

That Scotch lad lacked bravery, and his heart wasn't up to taking the responsibility of shooting when if he missed he would forever be linked to that "How did he miss from there?!" and be haunted like Southgate and Stuart Pearce and every one of our's that has been through it.

It was Scotchland's "And Smith must score ... " moment and wee Armstrong didnae fancy it, nae brave heart him (unless, of course, he was the one that would've taken the pen, in which case, ignore all this)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

They really are the Bristol Rovers of international football. 

All tournament all i've heard is they have the best fans there etc etc just like the Gas them lot. They're desperate for some attention and they use their hate for England to get some.

Couldn't agree more.

Their first overseas tournament since 1998, no wonder they took a few. Same as Rovers crowing about a couple of thousand at Derby or something for the same reason

Had the Scots a couple of good attacking players they would have qualified. Switzerland aren't great and Hungary were utter shit. Prob the poorest group.

They should see if Moyes fancies the job.

Edited by Super
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

He reason the ref refused to award a pen was he believed he saw a player trying to win a pen, when he had his side's clearest chance to not only get a shot on target but score and likely win.

That Scotch lad lacked bravery, and his heart wasn't up to taking the responsibility of shooting when if he missed he would forever be linked to that "How did he miss from there?!" and be haunted like Southgate and Stuart Pearce and every one of our's that has been through it.

It was Scotchland's "And Smith must score ... " moment and wee Armstrong didnae fancy it, nae brave heart him (unless, of course, he was the one that would've taken the pen, in which case, ignore all this)

That’s a lot of thinking in that space of time - i won’t be convinced that it’s not a penalty. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob k said:

That’s a lot of thinking in that space of time - i won’t be convinced that it’s not a penalty. 

He makes an unnatural movement to his Left to make sure the defender catches him.

Instead of trying to control the ball and shoot, he jumps across into the path of the defender - in a way that was completely unnecessary and unnatural if he was genuinely trying to control the ball and shoot.

You see players throwing their leg out to initiate contact and "draw a foul" all the time - this is the same.

Therefore no pen and the ref did brilliantly to spot it in real time. The rest of us required several slow mo replays. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

It certainly wasn't the stonewall decision that is being made out.

I've seen them given, but Armstrong is not in control of the ball, he's slowed down and the defender - whose shirt he grabs and pulls the guy onto him - runs into an already off the ball player. Lots of reasons it might be given, but ultimately if you're running then stop dead, you're inviting a collision. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He makes an unnatural movement to his Left to make sure the defender catches him.

Instead of trying to control the ball and shoot, he jumps across into the path of the defender - in a way that was completely unnecessary and unnatural if he was genuinely trying to control the ball and shoot.

You see players throwing their leg out to initiate contact and "draw a foul" all the time - this is the same.

Therefore no pen and the ref did brilliantly to spot it in real time. The rest of us required several slow mo replays. 

I know for a fact if that pen is not given to a City player that prevented us from getting promoted there would be uproar!!!