IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

Pros: We won the group and are in the nice side of the draw. Bring on the final.

Cons: We’re really bad.

We won the group with 5 points.

City won’t sign anyone.

City won’t release a kit.

I’m really tried. 

• Robin 1

3 minutes ago, Ecko said:

I'm sorry dave, I respect you as a poster, but it's ******* Slovenia. Yes we played better, but that's because we were ******* shit against Serbia and Denmark. 

Tonight was the time to give a reaction to the public and media, but they failed. Big time. We were absolute shit.

I'd also say that certainly Denmark are (probably) a stronger opponent than Slovenia. Technically and the type of Clubs as an average that their squad play for, for sure.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Southgate is not getting anything from this squad . He’s totally lost . 

He's got a squad of very good players, but when he puts a team out on the pitch he contrives to make the whole far less than the sum of it's parts!

Not to defend GS, but it's not helped that a lot of players have performed badly with a noticeable lack of movement from forward players and far too many seemingly incapable of making a simple pass.

England usually fail as soon as they play a team with the confidence to attack us. Our defence has looked solid so far but had nothing really to test us. I still think we will find our defence lets us down once we get into a game that is more open.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

So 2/3 chance of. Netherlands and 1/3 Group E 3rd place team

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024

I have no idea if this is right but it looks like

If Czech or Georgia win then then we won't play Netherlands. If neither win, or if Czech beat Turkey by 3 then we play Netherlands

Maybe Slovakia getting thumped might affect the above

Who ******* knows 

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

He's got a squad of very good players, but when he puts a team out on the pitch he contrives to make the whole far less than the sum of it's parts!

Not to defend GS, but it's not helped that a lot of players have performed badly with a noticeable lack of movement from forward players and far too many seemingly incapable of making a simple pass.

I just wonder about the balance.

Rice-Foden-Bellingham in central areas.

Perm 3 from Saka, Kane, Watkins, Eze, Palmer across the front 3.

It would be more adventurous if nothing else.

7 minutes ago, Midred said:

Real Madrid players and Man City players. I just think that better players can get more out of them. Until recently Kane was unstoppable with Bayern Munich. 

I thought Foden played pretty well. Bellingham not so much

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Czech or Georgia win then then we won't play Netherlands. If neither win then we play Netherlands 

Rather play them but again they might sit back and we struggle 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I just wonder about the balance.

Rice-Foden-Bellingham in central areas.

Perm 3 from Saka, Kane, Watkins, Eze, Palmer across the front 3.

Apart from the first half against Serbia I think Bellingham has been poor , thought kobbie done more in the half he was on than Bellingham has done of the last 2 games , Cole palmer has to start simples 

• Like 5

Of course, tonight's results mean that Croatia are out.

Also, it seems bizarre that a team could finish in fourth place and be knocked out, yet still have more points than a team in another group who finished in third and went through

• Like 1

Just now, redkev said:

Apart from the first half against Serbia I think Bellingham has been poor , thought kobbie done more in the half he was on than Bellingham has done of the last 2 games , Cole palmer has to start simples 

Palmer did more in 20 minutes than anyone starting, looks to beat a man or play forwards every time. 

I can't see Saka being dropped though so they'll probably be one change on Sunday from tonight's game, Mainoo in for Gallagher.

• Like 1

Just now, handsofclay said:

I feel sorry for Tommy Conway. Not only did he not play a minute for Scotland in this tournament but it transpires that his other grandfather was Slovenian. 

Wouldn't have played a minute for them either 

• Haha 2

Bellingham has to be dropped for the good of the team, a fantastic option from the bench.

Mainoo and Rice at the base, Foden in front and two of Saka/Palmer/Gordon wide of Kane. That's as Southgate will never play Watkins alongside Kane.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

If Czech or Georgia win then then we won't play Netherlands. If neither win, or if Czech beat Turkey by 3 then we play Netherlands

Maybe Slovakia getting thumped might affect the above

Who ******* knows 

Oh and our next opponents mainly rest on group F scores but our opponents will be Netherlands or a Group E team. 

Totally mind-boggling 

I think it's partly to do with how we play against teams that sit and let us have the ball .
There is little room and we show little movement. 
That means the man on the ball takes more touches, slows play and they almost relax.
Then you see misplaced passes , players caught on the ball and a complete lack of pace and intensity.
The difference in Gordon and Palmer was massive. They may have ended up playing the same pass, but there was an urgency. 

The second half was better, but it was a ridiculously low bar. 
You could grasp at straws and think against the better sides that will try and attack, we will get more space to play . I'm worried we will look even more vulnerable . 

Looking a great decision to take one unfit left back isn't it. 
Didn't need one tonight, should have played Saka or Gordon there , but it's Southgate so play another RB. 

I might go down the Tap to watch if it is Sunday at 5pm, but only because it will be our last game. I have never been so bored during a tournament before. 

Still , the fixtures are out tomorrow 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

After the opening 10-15 I think we’ve played alright.  Need to keep moving them about, keep tiring them.  Keep winning the loose balls.

Have to say Dave you look at football in a different light to me.

14 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

England will win the euros 

just remember Argentinas first game in the World Cup and then went on to win it 

Yeah except then they went on to comfortably beat Poland 2 - 0 (with 25 shots) and then beat a decent Mexican team 2 - 0.

We played poorly in all 3 games and have scored a total of 2 goals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I think it's partly to do with how we play against teams that sit and let us have the ball .
There is little room and we show little movement. 
That means the man on the ball takes more touches, slows play and they almost relax.
Then you see misplaced passes , players caught on the ball and a complete lack of pace and intensity.
The difference in Gordon and Palmer was massive. They may have ended up playing the same pass, but there was an urgency. 

The second half was better, but it was a ridiculously low bar. 
You could grasp at straws and think against the better sides that will try and attack, we will get more space to play . I'm worried we will look even more vulnerable . 

Looking a great decision to take one unfit left back isn't it. 
Didn't need one tonight, should have played Saka or Gordon there , but it's Southgate so play another RB. 

I might go down the Tap to watch if it is Sunday at 5pm, but only because it will be our last game. I have never been so bored during a tournament before. 

Still , the fixtures are out tomorrow 

England condensing the pitch and using five and six players to progress the ball through the first third against a team playing 1/2 players up top to secure our draw versus Slovenia was tactically masterful. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bellingham has to be dropped for the good of the team

Should have taken him off today, he was struggling to get a grip and started chasing the ball. 
I would have had Eze on for him for 20 minutes. The fact he payed 90 means he will start the next game , Southgate is not adventurous enough to drop his golden boy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

England condensing the pitch and using five and six players to progress the ball through the first third against a team playing 1/2 players up top to secure our draw versus Slovenia was tactically masterful. 

Interesting , two words I've not previously seen or heard, in connection with this game tonight :wacko:

Edited by 1960maaan

23 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Of course, tonight's results mean that Croatia are out.

Also, it seems bizarre that a team could finish in fourth place and be knocked out, yet still have more points than a team in another group who finished in third and went through

Not really bizarre is it. Teams have finished 3rd in a group and not gone through for years even if a team finished 2nd in another group with fewer points 

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Interesting , two words I've not previously seen or heard, in connection with this game tonight :wacko:

Coming into the tournament defence was the worry. Tonight England v the might of Slovenia went narrow and played regularly with three players at CDM. Three games conceded one. Dismal football. But pissed the group by two points. Masterful really.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we played alright, better than the other two group games imho.

Thought there was better movement, just didn’t quite manifest itself in chances.  We won a tonne of loose ball to keep them penned in, tiring them…just not enough.

Mainoo will be the only change I suspect.

Agreed. We are improving and will play better against teams that want to attack.  It’s was still average but better.  Mainoo will be in and maybe Palmer for Saka. Everyone seems to want to peak now 

Edited by Leabrook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

I am sure if you are Southgate it does look better than v Denmark, as there we got forced in to a low block for most of the match, and here we dominated the ball for long periods. However, tonight our limited opponents were always happy with a point and we rarely looked like we would break them down. Our shape looks condensed in the middle and far too laboured. Southgate happy to go down with the ship as other than maybe one change, do not think he will shake it up in our next match.

Dull as ditchwater when you see so many of the other matches.

5 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Not really bizarre is it. Teams have finished 3rd in a group and not gone through for years even if a team finished 2nd in another group with fewer points 

True - it just seems odd to me that there's a 'best third-place teams' table that's ranked on merit, and yet other teams in the tournament have done better but gone out

As much as I don’t like the facts, without context. However

We won the group. Thus we are in the last 16

France came second. Italy were within a knats cock of finishing in the preying area and the group stages aren’t finished. 

Luckily for me I have not had to pick up the sun or listen to an analyst. I’m not looking forward to some of the crap I’m going to read and hear from this weekend. 😂 

Has anyone ever won a tournament after ripping it up in the group stages?  Can’t remember one. The teams that win it normally improve as the tournaments go on don’t they ? Maybe that’s England 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Has anyone ever won a tournament after ripping it up in the group stages?  Can’t remember one. The teams that win it normally improve as the tournaments go on don’t they ? Maybe that’s England 

Portugal 2016. 

That was terrible whichever way you want to spin it. So uninspiring and that is down to the librarian coach we have in charge.

I just can't get my head around starting with the same players bar one in every match. Little wonder we looked lethargic. What is the point in having a squad?

Oh well, look on the bright side,even the sweaties would've qualified from that group.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, redkev said:

There must be something lacking in the setup, Bellingham certainly has had a meteoric rise.

Palmer deserves a shot now agreed.

13 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

What about them?  Assume you don’t mean they ripped it up in group stage 

They were not very good but they very much created more than us even in the Group Stage!

They scored 4 goals but they had 69 shots in 3 Games!! How many games would it take us to have 69 shots.

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

They’re off looking for clues

At the scene of the crime, but unfortunately, up to now, life has not been good (if you get this pat yourself on the back for being officially old :laugh:).

I don't watch much premier league football, let alone foreign football - bit with all the hype, I was excited to see what Bellingham would be all about..the first 30 mins of the first game looked encouraging, but since then he has shown nothing that any other member of the squad wouldn't be expected to produce.

Certainly not taking hold of games or influencing, like great players do. Certainly nothing Rooney, Gazza, Owen like about his influence so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Did we keep them penned in? Or were they more than happy to just play for the 0-0? 

We looked better with the changes. Fodens best game so far and looked better when he was in the centre. 

Massive improvement needed tho. 

Yes, they couldn’t get out, stray passes under pressure…just like us against Denmark!

1 hour ago, Ecko said:

I'm sorry dave, I respect you as a poster, but it's ******* Slovenia. Yes we played better, but that's because we were ******* shit against Serbia and Denmark. 

Tonight was the time to give a reaction to the public and media, but they failed. Big time. We were absolute shit.

It doesn’t matter that it’s Slovenia…I keep saying “we ain’t as good as you lot think”.  At what point after 3 games in this tournament (and plenty before it) are you lot gonna recognise that! 🤣🤣🤣

Ok, a jest a bit, you can blame it all on Southgate (some of that fair too) but I honestly don’t think we are that good, so a hardworking Slovenia side will make it difficult for us.

God knows how the bookies had us favourites?

Someone posted the other day that we’ve barely beaten a top 10 team in recent years….if true….why does anyone think we are so good?

I don’t go by individual reputations at club level, I evaluate how they play for England under Southgate recently.  And we are average.

Maybe a new manager is the change needed.  Maybe the players will come to life.

But what is it about the current bunch under this set-up that makes everyone so optimistic it’s just gonna click with a player tweak here or there.  Forget how Foden plays for Man City or Bellingham for Real Madrid, or Kane for Bayern…do they look top players for England at the mo’?  No.  And that’s where my opinion comes from.

I hope that explains where I’m coming from?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 6

Have seen a few worse group stages from England so not too worked up but feels like an opportunity missed by Southgate tonight not rotating more for the final group game when already qualified. Mainoo and Palmer should have done enough to start the next game at least, can't see any other changes than that from him bit we will see. 3 best sides so far plus the French all on the other side which is a massive reason to remain positive.

Also fair play to Slovenia they have done very well to go through the group unbeaten thought they would be easy pickings for everyone else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, they couldn’t get out, stray passes under pressure…just like us against Denmark!

It doesn’t matter that it’s Slovenia…I keep saying “we ain’t as good as you lot think”.  At what point after 3 games in this tournament (and plenty before it) are you lot gonna recognise that! 🤣🤣🤣

Ok, a jest a bit, you can blame it all on Southgate (some of that fair too) but I honestly don’t think we are that good, so a hardworking Slovenia side will make it difficult for us.

God knows how the bookies had us favourites?

Someone posted the other day that we’ve barely beaten a top 10 team in recent years….if true….why does anyone think we are so good?

I don’t go by individual reputations at club level, I evaluate how they play for England under Southgate recently.  And we are average.

Maybe a new manager is the change needed.  Maybe the players will come to life.

But what is it about the current bunch under this set-up that makes everyone so optimistic it’s just gonna click with a player tweak here or there.  Forget how Foden plays for Man City or Bellingham for Real Madrid, or Kane for Bayern…do they look top players for England at the mo’?  No.  And that’s where my opinion comes from.

I hope that explains where I’m coming from?

Say what you want about how over hyped we are but we’ve got  ( one of) if not the best played in England, Germany and Spain in our squad. Southgate is so ******* negative. Even on our bench we have players that are in the top few players in Europe. Statically that is a fact. Any other manager and we would be scoring goals for fun. 

Our performances are dog shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose said:

Say what you want about how over hyped we are but we’ve got  ( one of) if not the best played in England, Germany and Spain in our squad. Southgate is so ******* negative. Even on our bench we have players that are in the top few players in Europe. Statically that is a fact. Any other manager and we would be scoring goals for fun. 

I guess the big unknown is whether it’s down to Southgate or not.  Maybe I just have low / lower expectations and evaluations from years of watching us do poorly in summer tournaments and that tars my view.  I think we’ve had better squads and struggled as much.

We will get to find out once the summer is over, as I’m sure Southgate will be replaced.

+++++

Sometimes I just have a different opinion to the majority. 😉😉😉

• Like 1

What is the temperature like this Summer in Germany? Won't be as hot as Qatar obvs but a lot of our best football has been in the past during the winter.

Serbia (not this time) and one or two others in the past have been sides who are good or even excellent between tournaments and flopped while there. Nations with variable climates like Poland, Serbia, 2022 you could argue Denmark. Qualifying in style, good friendly or Nations League results that kinda thing.

I think it is less prevalent now not least as we are better in possession but "Lions in the Winter, Lambs in the Spring".

A foreign pundit or former player said that about England years ago.

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Jose said:

We have?

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What is the temperature like this Summer in Germany? Won't be as hot as Qatar obvs but a lot of our best football has been in the past during the winter.

Serbia (not this time) and one or two others in the past have been sides who are good or even excellent between tournaments and flopped while there. Nations with variable climates like Poland, Serbia, 2022 you could argue Denmark. Qualifying in style, good friendly or Nations League results that kinda thing.

I think it is less prevalent now not least as we are better in possession but "Lions in the Winter, Lambs in the Spring".

A foreign pundit or former player said that about England years ago.

It was Michel Platini.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I guess the big unknown is whether it’s down to Southgate or not.  Maybe I just have low / lower expectations and evaluations from years of watching us do poorly in summer tournaments and that tars my view.  I think we’ve had better squads and struggled as much.

Sometimes I just have a different opinion to the majority.

It’s good not to take false refuge in the security of consensus Dave.

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

We have?

Bellingham and Kane.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enoch said:

Palmer did more in 20 minutes than anyone starting, looks to beat a man or play forwards every time. 

I can't see Saka being dropped though so they'll probably be one change on Sunday from tonight's game, Mainoo in for Gallagher.

I don’t ‘get’ Saka - in terms of the praise he receives. Definitely wouldn’t be starting for me.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We will get to find out once the summer is over, as I’m sure Southgate will be replaced.

+++++

Sometimes I just have a different opinion to the majority. 😉😉😉

That the supposedly good players can’t or haven’t performed seems to suggest it’s the set up/tactics from the coaching staff that isn’t working. I guess they really didn’t want to lose that game last night so were a bit cagey but you can’t wait so late into the game to step it up. I hope GS changes things a bit for Sunday.

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1

Members of the team and management responding to criticism from pundits over the past few days is a bad sign. That simply wouldn’t happen with a top manager.

They’d be told to just disarm the question by saying ‘pundits giving opinions is part of the game and we must improve’ - instead you get Kane and Rice getting into the weeds of it for some reason. Just causes needless issues.

In my opinion this is a really poor interview and demonstrates no coherent media strategy. 

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Members of the team and management responding to criticism from pundits over the past few days is a bad sign. That simply wouldn’t happen with a top manager.

They’d be told to just disarm the question by saying ‘pundits giving opinions is part of the game and we must improve’ - instead you get Kane and Rice getting into the weeds of it for some reason. Just causes needless issues.

In my opinion this is a really poor interview and demonstrates no coherent media strategy. 

Yes they’re increasing the pressure for themselves, plus deflecting it towards the fans isn’t good either. 

I have to give Southgate a lot of the blame if it is indeed that, simply because we have history of playing like this, and the lack of energy and intensity is a theme of his tenure. Having said that, the balance of the team and squad just looks off. We are trying to fit some of the better players into a system they are not suited for. We are lacking someone in central midfield to build play from. Kane keeps coming deep to create an option, but until Mainoo came on, we had no-one being brave in the middle of the field. So the defence just kept passing to themselves. Some of that is due to giving the opposition all day to reset and create solid defensive banks, but some is also due to players not wanting to take some responsibility. I am not totally with Fevs saying we are not as good as we think we are, I believe we can be substantially better that what we are showing, and thus far , this is as bad as any England side I have seen at a major tournament. We are not playing like a team, the balance is wrong, and players are not confident with what they are being tasked to do. It is the job of Southgate to work out the jigsaw puzzle, but so far he looks lost. 

• Like 3