IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes they’re increasing the pressure for themselves, plus deflecting it towards the fans isn’t good either. 

Just a very strange interview - completely needless and made worse by essentially saying the fans are wrong.  By all means, have those thoughts in private but vocalising them is just bizzare. Indicates they’re feeling the pressure. 

The fans want nothing more than this team to win - they aren’t the enemy! 

• Like 2

The 6 group thing and best third place teams stuff is so needlessly convoluted when you can have a perfectly decent, and mathematically delightful, tournament with 4 groups of 4.

I mean this, from the BBC, is just odd.

Data Analysts Nielsen Gracenote have the likelihood of England's opponents as:

61% Netherlands

16% Slovakia

11% Ukraine

8% Romania

4% Belgium

All set up for a deserved exit in the next round though.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

That the supposedly good players can’t or haven’t performed seems to suggest it’s the set up/tactics from the coaching staff that isn’t working. I guess they really didn’t want to lose that game last night so were a bit cagey but you can’t wait so late into the game to step it up. I hope GS changes things a bit for Sunday.

We will get to find out under GS’s replacement.  But very few England managers have managed to find a formula for our wonderful players (slight tongue in cheek).  If anything Southgate has until this tournament got us pretty far.

I think this does look a tournament too far for him though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Members of the team and management responding to criticism from pundits over the past few days is a bad sign. That simply wouldn’t happen with a top manager.

They’d be told to just disarm the question by saying ‘pundits giving opinions is part of the game and we must improve’ - instead you get Kane and Rice getting into the weeds of it for some reason. Just causes needless issues.

In my opinion this is a really poor interview and demonstrates no coherent media strategy. 

Been quite surprised by Rice this tournament - has come across as rather fragile in his interviews (which i didn't expect) & seems to spend most of the games moaning and waving his arms at his own team mates. I get he has had a number of different midfield partners so it can't be easy for him, but he doesn't so far appear as the leader i would of expected......or maybe it's all ego now? Who knows, either way i'm hoping a tough last 16 game against the Dutch, who aren't exactly great themselves, will finally wake this England team up & they can put on some sort of performance.

Would much rather a tough game now instead of one of the "easier" options like the Czech's or Romania (who have actually looked pretty decent) only to then fall at the next hurdle against the Italians.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We will get to find out under GS’s replacement.  But very few England managers have managed to find a formula for our wonderful players (slight tongue in cheek).  If anything Southgate has until this tournament got us pretty far.

Yes but also some of our exits over the years were down to penalty shootouts and blatant cheating.

I think GS is too cautious

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I have to give Southgate a lot of the blame if it is indeed that, simply because we have history of playing like this, and the lack of energy and intensity is a theme of his tenure. Having said that, the balance of the team and squad just looks off. We are trying to fit some of the better players into a system they are not suited for. We are lacking someone in central midfield to build play from. Kane keeps coming deep to create an option, but until Mainoo came on, we had no-one being brave in the middle of the field. So the defence just kept passing to themselves. Some of that is due to giving the opposition all day to reset and create solid defensive banks, but some is also due to players not wanting to take some responsibility. I am not totally with Fevs saying we are not as good as we think we are, I believe we can be substantially better that what we are showing, and thus far , this is as bad as any England side I have seen at a major tournament. We are not playing like a team, the balance is wrong, and players are not confident with what they are being tasked to do. It is the job of Southgate to work out the jigsaw puzzle, but so far he looks lost. 

England don't have a history of playing like this. From Venables to Hodgson. The shape of this 4-2-3-1 was not played from Venables to Hodgson. The shape of 4-2-3-1 with two screening the CB's, and a right back inverting against a Slovenia team playing  4-4-2 / 4-5-1 has never been played by any previous England Manager. The shape of the 3-1 frequently all occupying central zones is also Southgate's alone. 

It was a tactical horrorshow. England went compact against a team that was compact. 4-2-3-1 v 4-4-2. England had an overload in midfield and added to it unnecessarily frequently playing 3-3-3-1 with no width. The midfield were getting in each others way again. The centre backs could not switch play to move the opposition quickly. Space between compressed lines was ten metres in possession. The ball frequently had five and six players in close proximity to it with few options beyond it till finally subs changed Southgates narrow shape.

The way to challenge 4-4-2/4-5-1 dropping off it to move the ball quickly, move with one and two touches, shift the opposition around, switch overload and isolate players at Full back using the full width of the pitch. England did the opposite and consistently played two thirds of the width,

This was Mr Southgate's tactics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

England don't have a history of playing like this. From Venables to Hodgson. The shape of this 4-2-3-1 was not played from Venables to Hodgson. The shape of 4-2-3-1 with two screening the CB's, and a right back inverting against a Slovenia team playing  4-4-2 / 4-5-1 has never been played by any previous England Manager. The shape of the 3-1 frequently all occupying central zones is also Southgate's alone. 

It was a tactical horrorshow. England went compact against a team that was compact. 4-2-3-1 v 4-4-2. England had an overload in midfield and added to it unnecessarily frequently playing 3-3-3-1 with no width. The midfield were getting in each others way again. The centre backs could not switch play to move the opposition quickly. Space between compressed lines was ten metres in possession. The ball frequently had five and six players in close proximity to it with few options beyond it till finally subs changed Southgates narrow shape.

The way to challenge 4-4-2/4-5-1 dropping off it to move the ball quickly, move with one and two touches, shift the opposition around, switch overload and isolate players at Full back using the full width of the pitch. England did the opposite and consistently played two thirds of the width,

This was Mr Southgate's tactics.

I was referencing Southgate, sorry I was not more explicit. He has been there a long time, I was not looking into irrelevant history. 

• Like 2

This tournament feels like such an opportunity for this squad. Southgate has to take the heat as manager but like others I cannot understand the lack of energy and pace on the game. It got better as the game went on yesterday but why do we regain possession, then rather than break we slow the whole game down, play tippy tappy and allow the opposition to reset the defence.

Perhaps the performances so far are why I don't see the usual flags on buildings and cars during this tournament.

I live in hope, we know there is a good game in them somewhere.

19 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I was referencing Southgate, sorry I was not more explicit. He has been there a long time, I was not looking into irrelevant history. 

You highlighted how unbalanced this England team is. 

In Southgates recent past Southgates England have not played this way. The width and depth has been abandoned.

Look at the full backs. No longer high and wide. Foden comes off the side and Trippier? Holds. Easy to defend against and utterly predictable. Right side last night Walker inverted to CB/CDM. No width.

Bellingham, Foden, Kane all still gravitating to the ten position. The CDM's dont leave the CB's. The CB's are not splitting. Less width and depth.

Its unbalanced, and new. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s good not to take false refuge in the security of consensus Dave.

Bellingham and Kane.

Oh I thought the other poster was suggesting we have someone who's the best player across all those three leagues

Gareth Southwards speaks...................After being booed and having a small shower of cardboard cups thrown his way, after the  latest match.....''I haven't seen any other team qualify and receive a similar reaction?"   Dear GS, could it be that your team have scored 1 goal in three games against sides ranked 20th,30th and 54th,  and are in the process of squandering some of the worlds best talent,  by either leaving them on the bench or playing them out of position in a formation that does NOT work?  Just a thought Gare?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, Cowshed said:

It was a good post.

In Southgates recent past Southgates England have not played this way. The width and depth has been abandoned.

Look at the full backs. No longer high and wide. Foden comes off the side and Trippier? Holds. Easy to defend against and utterly predictable. Right side last night Walker inverted to CB/CDM. No width.

Bellingham, Foden, Kane all still gravitating to the ten position. The CDM's dont leave the CB's. The CB's are not splitting. Less width and depth.

Its unbalanced, and new. 

I see the unbalance, it just looks wrong. Walker for example (I think, as it is hard with internationals, as the gaps between games are months) used to be more progressive, as he is with Man City. He seemed constrained yesterday, apart from one or two moments. I do not have the technical/tactical knowledge to understand the details, but I could not see width, and I could not see players showing to provide options. When Kane comes deep, I expect to see others overlap him, but they stayed deep too. It looks a muddled mess to me, and the players are not sure of their roles. I still believe we can play far better with the players we have, even if the squad is not balanced. I did like Mainoo and Palmer , both seemed to have better technical skills and were looking forward , not sideways or back., Why Gallagher or Trent AA were starting in midfield is something I could not understand. I know he mentioned missing Phillips, which was strange, it looked like he should have said Henderson, but better to have the solution in the squad. Maybe Mainoo can provide that platform, but the full backs have to be more involved. I also noted that we had 4 defenders against 2 (sometimes 3) so there was the  opportunity to go higher out wide . But Walker would progress, and then hit an  imaginary line, and turn back. That has to come from the coaching instruction. It was as if we were playing for a draw and were scared to over commit. 

• Like 2

My thoughts:

I gave Southgate the benefit of the doubt first game, but the last two matches are why I have been SO critical towards him for years. We got to the latter stages of 2018 and 2020 because of two things: A slice of luck of the draw, and because we actually do have a few good players to win matches. None of this is down to his tactical nous and Management imo.

We then had a Nations League campaign which saw us RELEGATED and humiliated 4-0 at home to Hungary. An embarassing display, probably the worst i've ever seen from England. 

The World Cup was so-so. Again, losing to a big nation when it mattered. This should of been the end.

The matches since the World Cup screamed issues for me. The Malta home game, the Australia friendly, followed by Belgium, Brazil, Bosnia and Iceland. All very average performances out there, yet somehow our media saw us as the favourites. Laughable, we looked undercooked and miles off it.

Now Euro 2024 - to me it's inevitable we will not be in the tournament much longer, because Southgate refuses to learn, or listen. The soundbites have been nothing but negative from him, and the squad throughout the tournament, and i'm angry this tournament is being wasted by him and his ways.

There is a problem though within English football. We just do not know how to control games when in possession of the ball compared to other Nations. We manage to make the game look so much more complicated than it actually is. Get the ball, pass the ball, move into space, lose the ball you press like mad to win it back. Very simple (and Spain have played this way) yet we do none of that. 

I think the players are confused by his instructions, they look jaded with no idea what they are being told what to do. Let them play with freedom for god sake and we might actually do something, but he wont change.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

My thoughts:

I gave Southgate the benefit of the doubt first game, but the last two matches are why I have been SO critical towards him for years. We got to the latter stages of 2018 and 2020 because of two things: A slice of luck of the draw, and because we actually do have a few good players to win matches. None of this is down to his tactical nous and Management imo.

We then had a Nations League campaign which saw us RELEGATED and humiliated 4-0 at home to Hungary. An embarassing display, probably the worst i've ever seen from England. 

The World Cup was so-so. Again, losing to a big nation when it mattered. This should of been the end.

The matches since the World Cup screamed issues for me. The Malta home game, the Australia friendly, followed by Belgium, Brazil, Bosnia and Iceland. All very average performances out there, yet somehow our media saw us as the favourites. Laughable, we looked undercooked and miles off it.

Now Euro 2024 - to me it's inevitable we will not be in the tournament much longer, because Southgate refuses to learn, or listen. The soundbites have been nothing but negative from him, and the squad throughout the tournament, and i'm angry this tournament is being wasted by him and his ways.

There is a problem though within English football. We just do not know how to control games when in possession of the ball compared to other Nations. We manage to make the game look so much more complicated than it actually is. Get the ball, pass the ball, move into space, lose the ball you press like mad to win it back. Very simple (and Spain have played this way) yet we do none of that. 

I think the players are confused by his instructions, they look jaded with no idea what they are being told what to do. Let them play with freedom for god sake and we might actually do something, but he wont change.

My view too.

We have fast players, but when we have the ball we move at a slow walking pace,  often stopping the ball dead and thereby allowing our opponents to get everyone back to defend. 

The worst Southgate trait for me though is he just selects on reputation rather than what he is seeing out there in front of him. Players are allowed to grievously underperform without fear of being dropped. An example of this was how Gallacher looked woeful when he came on against Denmark and was rewarded by a starting place last night.  No surprise he wasn't at the races once again and had to be hooked at h/t.  What game is Southgate watching if he thinks things are "coming together"?

• Like 2

So far today I’ve seen (not necessarily on here) the following:

1. Drop Kane (scored over 40 goals this season)

2. Drop Bellingham (one of our few truly world class players)

3. Southgate is clueless (his performances in tournaments overall are the best of any England manager for over 50 years)

4. Why is he picking Saka? (Probably our best attacking player in first two games)

I wonder if there is a complete meltdown in France as well right now.  We won’t win this Euros without Kane and Bellingham and they won’t find form on a bench. 

1 minute ago, Leabrook said:

So far today I’ve seen (not necessarily on here) the following:

1. Drop Kane (scored over 40 goals this season)

2. Drop Bellingham (one of our few truly world class players)

3. Southgate is clueless (his performances in tournaments overall are the best of any England manager for over 50 years)

4. Why is he picking Saka? (Probably our best attacking player in first two games)

I wonder if there is a complete meltdown in France as well right now.  We won’t win this Euros without Kane and Bellingham and they won’t find form on a bench. 

They don't need to find form

They need to be replaced, as does southgate

• Confused 1

We just have to get back to basics and that means one of Foden or Bellingham on the bench, don't shoehorn players into wrong positions.

It is such a shame Southgate made only one change during the group stage. We should have seen how it works with Trent or Walker at left back, Bellingham in centre mid, Watkins and Kane on the pitch together etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

My view too.

We have fast players, but when we have the ball we move at a slow walking pace,  often stopping the ball dead and thereby allowing our opponents to get everyone back to defend. 

The worst Southgate trait for me though is he just selects on reputation rather than what he is seeing out there in front of him. Players are allowed to grievously underperform without fear of being dropped. An example of this was how Gallacher looked woeful when he came on against Denmark and was rewarded by a starting place last night.  No surprise he wasn't at the races once again and had to be hooked at h/t.  What game is Southgate watching if he thinks things are "coming together"?

He is Mr Safety First, and 'he did well for me in another game' style. We lost in 2021 to Italy simply because he refused to change tactically, same in 2018 vs Croatia, and it's the same now. He has his players he'll trust to play, and the rest just have to sit on the bench and watch.

He likes runners though doesn't he, we've seen this before with Mount, Phillips, Delph, even Bowen. And on Bowen - how the hell is he in this squad over Rashford, Grealish and Maddison it beggars belief. Don't get me wrong he's a good player for West Ham in their negative Moyes system, but really? Better than those players to be called up ahead of them. Not for me.

We miss Sterling and Rashford's raw pace in this side and my god could we do with the technical ball skill of Grealish, who he has never rated unbelievably only has 33 caps to his name. His ability to hold onto the ball is what England could do with right now.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

41 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Remember Luke Shaw, the 2021 final against Italy, scoring from full back on the break. Not much hope of that at the moment.

And we remember left backs entering the final third and joining in play. Versus Denmark the Danes could concentrate on the opposite side with the security of knowing England have no threat on the left.

50 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I see the unbalance, it just looks wrong. Walker for example (I think, as it is hard with internationals, as the gaps between games are months) used to be more progressive, as he is with Man City. He seemed constrained yesterday, apart from one or two moments. I do not have the technical/tactical knowledge to understand the details, but I could not see width, and I could not see players showing to provide options. When Kane comes deep, I expect to see others overlap him, but they stayed deep too. It looks a muddled mess to me, and the players are not sure of their roles. I still believe we can play far better with the players we have, even if the squad is not balanced. I did like Mainoo and Palmer , both seemed to have better technical skills and were looking forward , not sideways or back., Why Gallagher or Trent AA were starting in midfield is something I could not understand. I know he mentioned missing Phillips, which was strange, it looked like he should have said Henderson, but better to have the solution in the squad. Maybe Mainoo can provide that platform, but the full backs have to be more involved. I also noted that we had 4 defenders against 2 (sometimes 3) so there was the  opportunity to go higher out wide . But Walker would progress, and then hit an  imaginary line, and turn back. That has to come from the coaching instruction. It was as if we were playing for a draw and were scared to over commit. 

Who constrains Trippier, Guehi, Stones, Walker, Rice and Gallagher? You answered it. The Manager has constrained the players with his system. 

The shape of England's 4-2-3-1 changed little over seasons. If that system is suddenly altered going into a tournament, and it was by the choice of Mr Southgate, well we are seeing the consequences. 

This is that new from Mr Southgate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed, and I think GS will be happy to depart after we're knocked out of this tournament. So who next to pick up the poisoned chalice?

Potter, Poch, Carsley? I think I'd see if Poch is up for it.

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Agreed, and I think GS will be happy to depart after we're knocked out of this tournament. So who next to pick up the poisoned chalice?

Potter, Poch, Carsley? I think I'd see if Poch is up for it.

I think they should go for Klopp. We'll probably end up with Potter or Howe (assuming he'll go if Newcastle don't improve in the first 3 months of the season)

Just now, Abingdon Red said:

I think they should go for Klopp. We'll probably end up with Potter or Howe (assuming he'll go if Newcastle don't improve in the first 3 months of the season)

No chance for Klopp I feel but good  idea .

Just now, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Probably sounds like hindsight, but Southgate should have gone after Euro 2021 - he peaked then it was only going downhill from there 

Disagree.  You can’t sack a bloke after reaching a final of the euros, off the back of a World Cup semi. 

Perhaps this is a tournament too far for his approach.  Hes lost a good part of the spine of his squad and I don’t think it’s working for him with this group - that’s just how it goes. 

It would be nice if he could bow out of this tourney on a high. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, The Coach said:

Glad I missed tonight. Said it after the first game. Saying it again. Sack him now.

Euro final or not (which we should have won.) He’s quite possibly one of the worse English managers of all time.

He just doesn’t get it nor has the tactical understanding of football.

Can't understand this. 

4th highest win percentage of any England manager (excluding Big Sam and his one game), 3rd most wins of any England manager. His major tournament record is second only to Sir Alf, easily better than that of Sir Bobby. 

This tournament has thus far been crap, but his overall tenure has been better than pretty much any England manager before him

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

He is Mr Safety First, and 'he did well for me in another game' style. We lost in 2021 to Italy simply because he refused to change tactically, same in 2018 vs Croatia, and it's the same now. He has his players he'll trust to play, and the rest just have to sit on the bench and watch.

He likes runners though doesn't he, we've seen this before with Mount, Phillips, Delph, even Bowen. And on Bowen - how the hell is he in this squad over Rashford, Grealish and Maddison it beggars belief. Don't get me wrong he's a good player for West Ham in their negative Moyes system, but really? Better than those players to be called up ahead of them. Not for me.

We miss Sterling and Rashford's raw pace in this side and my god could we do with the technical ball skill of Grealish, who he has never rated unbelievably only has 33 caps to his name. His ability to hold onto the ball is what England could do with right now.

Possibly a tad dismissive of the opposition albeit I'm choosing my words more carefully than my Denmark post.

Croatia up to and including 2018 had a very strong midfield and players such as prime yearsish Perisic and Mandzukic, Italy a better case not least as home soil but 30 odd unbeaten coming in and rather attack minded in much of the tournament and the years leading to the tournament itself.

We did lose in the midfield and the back 3 probably didn't help with this. You can overload 2 v 1 in wingbacks too causing defensive and offensive problems- some of that is on Southgate, some of that IMO is credit to the opposition..The wingback point is a downside of a 3-5-2 v 4-3-3 I'd say.

Vs a strong midfield which Croatia and to a degree Italy had, it can leave a side vulnerable.

We have often lost the midfield in my time vs some tournament opponents or even occasionally in qualifying, it's nothing that new.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 hours ago, Jose said:

@Dan Robin come on then? Defend him? 

England's results and many performances in major tournaments after his appointment say enough about his value, so labelling him as a bad manager sounds strange.

Saying that in recent times something in the team isn't working anymore (not only tactically, also about the mood of players) and he has probably done some errors, it's a different matter. Obviously being knocked out before the semifinals (a high probability, I fear) could led to some understandable criticism.

That Croatia game, I know which Starting XI has better balance...and it wasn't us. Which side looks better setup and more natural? I'd say Croatia in respect of starting XI.

Fluid v lopsided, it can be a fine line.

Vrsaljko was also an impressive player until injury really did for him. The level of sides wasn't exactly a huge gap in some ways.

Screenshot_20240626-135432_Chrome.thumb.jpg.23e731bcb6e2637d6ff5c684af32c191.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What is the temperature like this Summer in Germany? Won't be as hot as Qatar obvs but a lot of our best football has been in the past during the winter.

Serbia (not this time) and one or two others in the past have been sides who are good or even excellent between tournaments and flopped while there. Nations with variable climates like Poland, Serbia, 2022 you could argue Denmark. Qualifying in style, good friendly or Nations League results that kinda thing.

I think it is less prevalent now not least as we are better in possession but "Lions in the Winter, Lambs in the Spring".

A foreign pundit or former player said that about England years ago.

I don’t want to give them an excuse, but it’s been bizarre. First game was cold, it’s been pouring down for a few days, second game dried up and was reasonable if not a tad warm and then yesterday was 30ish and felt bloody hot. 

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Members of the team and management responding to criticism from pundits over the past few days is a bad sign. That simply wouldn’t happen with a top manager.

They’d be told to just disarm the question by saying ‘pundits giving opinions is part of the game and we must improve’ - instead you get Kane and Rice getting into the weeds of it for some reason. Just causes needless issues.

In my opinion this is a really poor interview and demonstrates no coherent media strategy. 

Have to agree it’s been very strange, something isn’t right in the camp. A lot of fragility and as I said before players seem to be scared - something Southgate did well to eradicate in his first few years.

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

This is spot on. It’s been bad but it’s not 2010/2014 levels of bad and yet the fans can’t help but swing from highs to lows. There’s no reasoned debate to be had, I can’t talk to a single person back home about the performances because everyone is just whinging how shit we are. Even had one idiot trying to get a reaction out of a couple of us in the ground last night, moaning all game, calling us shit etc but I’d say generally most people you spoke to outside of the ground could discuss the situation with some sense.

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Gareth Southwards speaks...................After being booed and having a small shower of cardboard cups thrown his way, after the  latest match.....''I haven't seen any other team qualify and receive a similar reaction?"   Dear GS, could it be that your team have scored 1 goal in three games against sides ranked 20th,30th and 54th,  and are in the process of squandering some of the worlds best talent,  by either leaving them on the bench or playing them out of position in a formation that does NOT work?  Just a thought Gare?

He doesn’t deserve things thrown at him, anyone who did that is a manual manipulator. There was also some confrontation towards stones and a few others. It looked like the players families were in the stand to the left of the goal and they went towards them after the game but some fans got confrontational.

We’ve scored 2 for starters, same as France. 

4 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Remember Luke Shaw, the 2021 final against Italy, scoring from full back on the break. Not much hope of that at the moment.

Our goal against Denmark came from Kyle Walker pressing very high and winning the ball back?

Last night wasn’t the major improvement many wanted - but it was an improvement. The defence is still solid and Southgate’s subs did make a difference.

On another night we could have scored 3 or 4. The offside goal was a very good move and the one that set Palmer up near the end was also great play. We need more of that. I think Southgate may have stumbled across a solution with Mainoo? But I don’t expect any other changes than that for Sunday.

Anyway, that’s me home for a couple of days before heading back Saturday.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RedEd73 said:

Screenshot_20240626_154624_Sky News.jpg

It’s for the birth of his THIRD child apparently ! 3 kids by the age of 24 ! No wonder he’s looked knackered 😂 On a serious note if that’s been playing on his mind it probably hasn’t helped his form ? 

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

It’s for the birth of his THIRD child apparently ! 3 kids by the age of 24 ! No wonder he’s looked knackered 😂 On a serious note if that’s been playing on his mind it probably hasn’t helped his form ? 

Thought he was very good yesterday.  Assume Gordon starts Sunday now.  Unless he crowbars Palmer in

11 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

At least he can afford it! Understandable he'd want to be there for the birth. Congratulations to him. 

• Thanks 1

This afternoon's games;

a fine headed goal giving the Slovaks the lead.

In both games the Refs are allowing players to manhandle opponents far more than I'd expect in the EFL.

Romania had a penalty and like last night, the player taking it, jumped around, but the Slovak keeper learnt from last night's match and stayed on his line.

Deep in the Belgian half is a Hungarian flag.

6 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Surely Belgium won’t settle for 2nd and face France?

Real jeopardy in this group. A late Ukraine goal and Belgium going home! 

Got to feel for Ukraine , made some good chances but never had the quality or composure to finish.
Belgium are like us, bags of individual talent, but not much as a team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 22A said:

This afternoon's games;

Deep in the Belgian half is a Hungarian flag.

Towards the end, a Greek flag appeared alongside it.

On the pitch the Ukranians appeared to be scared of shooting at goal.

8 minutes ago, !james said:

Love an unbalanced draw!

One of these will be in the final:

Romania, Slovenia, Netherlands, Austria, Turkey, Czech Republic, Georgia, England, Slovakia, Switzerland, Italy.

Was just looking at that. Might put a few quid on Austria and Switzerland 

1 minute ago, luke_bristol said:

It almost certainly won’t stay this way but this would be incredible 

Czechs down to 10 doesn't help as I doubt Georgia will hold on

Depends whether it's better to play more open Netherlands or Serbia/Slovenia type team like Slovakia

Wow! Georgia v Portugal. A cracking goal after 90 seconds.

Looking at the side of the pitch; There is a Canada flag in the Portuguese half, near the half way line Costa Rica, Argentina & Puerto Rico. In the Georgian half a Turkish flag (even though the Turks are playing elsewhere tonight) plus Lithuania and Greece.