IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

10 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's more Netherlands who have benefitted from the draw, they are in a very easy quarter through to the semi final

I don’t think Romania will be a walkover. They’re very dogged and hard to beat. Wouldn’t be shocked if they pull off an upset.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Ronaldo gets taken off, face like a slapped ass and appears to boot a bottle just before he sits down, the guy is a complete bellend IMO. Sooner he retires the better for me.

Must be hard knowing no matter how hard you try and whatever you do, some little guy called Messi is rightly regarded the best ever.

• Like 3

Did anyone else feel like they were constantly watching the wrong game during the third round of group games? I was watching the France match while I should have been watching Austria; watching Belgium while I should have been watching Slovakia; watching Georgia while I should have been watching Turkey, and watching England when I should have been watching Emmerdale.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Slovakia, Italy, Netherlands as most likely seems like a decent run to the final. Its hardly a walkover even if we were on top form 

I can see Austria getting to the final. I've been impressed with them

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I can see Austria getting to the final. I've been impressed with them

Wouldn't be surprised, good side on a decent run of form, they would beat England.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Did anyone else feel like they were constantly watching the wrong game during the third round of group games? I was watching the France match while I should have been watching Austria; watching Belgium while I should have been watching Slovakia; watching Georgia while I should have been watching Turkey, and watching England when I should have been watching Emmerdale.

Southgate should have had one of the Dingles in his squad.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don’t think Romania will be a walkover. They’re very dogged and hard to beat. Wouldn’t be shocked if they pull off an upset.

Netherlands are a bit slow or were vs France, for a draw but meh. Romania on the break v Ukraine however yeah sharp- 3-0, bit more than just dogged really.

19 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's more Netherlands who have benefitted from the draw, they are in a very easy quarter through to the semi final

It's only eased based on reputation or ranking, not on how the teams are actually playing

On 26/06/2024 at 14:58, MarcusX said:

I don’t want to give them an excuse, but it’s been bizarre. First game was cold, it’s been pouring down for a few days, second game dried up and was reasonable if not a tad warm and then yesterday was 30ish and felt bloody hot. 

Have to agree it’s been very strange, something isn’t right in the camp. A lot of fragility and as I said before players seem to be scared - something Southgate did well to eradicate in his first few years.

This is spot on. It’s been bad but it’s not 2010/2014 levels of bad and yet the fans can’t help but swing from highs to lows. There’s no reasoned debate to be had, I can’t talk to a single person back home about the performances because everyone is just whinging how shit we are. Even had one idiot trying to get a reaction out of a couple of us in the ground last night, moaning all game, calling us shit etc but I’d say generally most people you spoke to outside of the ground could discuss the situation with some sense.

He doesn’t deserve things thrown at him, anyone who did that is a manual manipulator. There was also some confrontation towards stones and a few others. It looked like the players families were in the stand to the left of the goal and they went towards them after the game but some fans got confrontational.

We’ve scored 2 for starters, same as France. 

Our goal against Denmark came from Kyle Walker pressing very high and winning the ball back?

Last night wasn’t the major improvement many wanted - but it was an improvement. The defence is still solid and Southgate’s subs did make a difference.

On another night we could have scored 3 or 4. The offside goal was a very good move and the one that set Palmer up near the end was also great play. We need more of that. I think Southgate may have stumbled across a solution with Mainoo? But I don’t expect any other changes than that for Sunday.

Anyway, that’s me home for a couple of days before heading back Saturday.

Sorry about claiming that we scored just one goal.........when it was in fact two.............I can only apologise and make it clear that while watching Engerland i enter a comatose state, which means i become sucked into a void of nothingness similar to our Gare's tactics?      .

Wouldn't it be just great that if when Harry or Gareth appear on TV after the latest debacle......that they showed some honesty, and just said  " Pheck me we were shit, we can only apologise to the fans who have spent a fortune following us, and all the fans back at home.  We really are a shower of shite, and we will do or best to get better"  If only?

Edited by maxjak

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Netherlands are a bit slow or were vs France, for a draw but meh. Romania on the break v Ukraine however yeah sharp- 3-0, bit more than just dogged really.

Suppose they will point to that offside decision although I guess UEFA thought it was the right call as Atwell has got another game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Any one want to sell their ticket for the England Slovakia game?

If we make the quarters I'll have one going as I'm away that weekend, although I think the ESTC rules prohibit resale of tickets?

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

I did buy a ticket for Slovenian game,through one of the ticket master type web sites.

Although I think some one offered it to the selling site which then makes it legal,I think.

Depends where they got them from, ESTC members it explicitly says you risk being banned if caught selling or transferring tickets to non-members

Whether they will or not I dont know... 

How well does Gordon speak. Great interview today and how Southgate, Kane and Rice should be viewing things rather than getting all defensive .A complete breath of fresh air. Start him. 

• Like 2

On 27/06/2024 at 10:45, weepywall said:

Wouldn't be surprised, good side on a decent run of form, they would beat England.

Depending on which England turned up, both teams playing to their full potential I would back England, and against anyone else left in the tournament, but we know that rarely happens

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose said:

How well does Gordon speak. Great interview today and how Southgate, Kane and Rice should be viewing things rather than getting all defensive .A complete breath of fresh air. Start him. 

Was that before or after he fell off his bike?

3 hours ago, Jose said:

A few of the younger members of the squad do speak really well, Gordon, Bellingham, Mainoo, Saka etc. Very assured and comfortable.

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well if England were as bang average as this Swiss side during the tournament I think we’d be a lot happier 

Yeah, I agree. We've been below average for sure!

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

Switzerland are bang average. Italy are shockingly bad. 

Low quality game

Agree on point 2.

Switzerland last tournament and between tournaments they're not bad..not particularly shocked.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

43 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Deserved. I hardly recognise any of these Italian players. They always had some household names 

A lot of top teams are like that now. Italy, Brazil, Holland, Argentina. Could pretty much name a 11 years ago but now lucky if you know 4-5

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

How the bloody hell did we let these win it three years ago.

Very different side and we had a less balanced side too.

35 unbeaten coming in, much weaker Italy now IMO.

Read some tactical reports of the game.

5 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

A lot of top teams are like that now. Italy, Brazil, Holland, Argentina. Could pretty much name a 11 years ago but now lucky if you know 4-5

If by well known you mean shining in our PL but the PL isn't the be all and end all. It's a very good League yes.

Although having said that I do wonder if International football as a while is weaker than 15-20 years Idk. Less top squads around.

5 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Missing 2 quality centre half’s from that side.

Verrattti also helped to control tempo, they've clearly declined sharply.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fpcity said:

Brazil starting to look strong again with Vini Jr, Rodrigo and Guimaraes, as well as the obvious.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If by well known you mean shining in our PL but the PL isn't the be all and end all. It's a very good League yes.

Verrattti also helped to control tempo, they've clearly declined sharply.

No years ago you'd know them in Italian, Spanish leagues, top teams in Holland and Germany. Infact there would be less here playing 

• Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

How the bloody hell did we let these win it three years ago.

Easy. 
Sitting on a 1 goal lead trying to defend the rest of the game out for the win - inviting them to attack - getting caught out by conceding and losing on penalties. 

Sounds familiar……?

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add word

Just now, Fpcity said:

No years ago you'd know them in Italian, Spanish leagues, top teams in Holland and Germany. Infact there would be less here playing 

Fair. I do sometimes look at International football and wonder if s lot of top and 2nd level down sides have weakened from the 2000s.

8 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Easy. 
Sitting on a 1 goal lead trying to defend the rest of the game out for the win - getting caught out by conceding and losing on penalties. 

Sounds familiar……?

To a degree although this is rather dismissive of the very good midfield unit we were up against.

We can be quite dismissive over here though, if they aren't shining in our top League eh well.

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Because we had / have a halfwit in charge 

If you're comparing Italy side as a whole of 3 years ago as a whole to now, I'd suggest with respect you don't know very much about it.

35 unbeaten, full of confidence, pride restored, dominating and outplaying most opposition as they were by July 2021.

It's a fairly ridiculous comparison, no offence and they declined thereafter by the late Autumn of 2021.

Otoh we were tactically flawed.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair. I do sometimes look at International football and wonder if s lot of top and 2nd level down sides have weakened from the 2000s.

Definitely has. Maybe because there's less flair players particularly in the Brazil team. Italy always had great defenders and strikers. Holland exciting players in midfield. France has probably stayed around same. Argentina don't seem to have many players playing for the elite teams from what I can think. 

But in turn I think some of the lower down teams have got better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Definitely has. Maybe because there's less flair players particularly in the Brazil team. Italy always had great defenders and strikers. Holland exciting players in midfield. France has probably stayed around same. Argentina don't seem to have many players playing for the elite teams from what I can think. 

But in turn I think some of the lower down teams have got better.

France had a huge decline for a time, or boom and bust under Domenech but they are back up there again.

Germany are strange I look at them on paper and a lot are playing top Leagues. Yet 2 World Cups and a Euros they were very underwhelming. Good attacking and possession stats, but terrible results.

Argentina are probably on the slide now. They have Martinez and Alvarez for 2, Messi is towards the end. Yeah possibly some stars supported by hard working squad players. Well coached?

Definitely Brazil. Italy are strange, they went through a phase of some very good midfielders, the 3 I mentioned plus some others but steadily weaker in other areas.

Some have got better for sure, not least Switzerland and Belgium. Turkey, Ukraine, Romania overall all less technical maybe and Bulgaria disappeared entirely.

Serbia and before them.Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro seem to underachieve no matter the year at tournaments.  I look at their squad and who they play for at recent tournaments and their qualifiers to get there and think they're decent and yet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

France had a huge decline for a time, or boom and bust under Domenech but they are back up there again.

Germany are strange I look at them on paper and a lot are playing top Leagues. Yet 2 World Cups and a Euros they were very underwhelming. Good attacking and possession stats, but terrible results.

Argentina are probably on the slide now. They have Martinez and Alvarez for 2, Messi is towards the end. Yeah possibly some stars supported by hard working squad players. Well coached?

Definitely Brazil. Italy are strange, they went through a phase of some very good midfielders, the 3 I mentioned plus some others but steadily weaker in other areas.

Some have got better for sure, not least Switzerland and Belgium. Turkey, Ukraine, Romania overall all less technical maybe and Bulgaria disappeared entirely.

Serbia and before them.Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro seem to underachieve no matter the year at tournaments.  I look at their squad and who they play for at recent tournaments and their qualifiers to get there and think they're decent and yet. 

Some of the Asians teams are better especially Japan. Australia used to have some household names, mainly playing here. None I can think now. 

I do think the African teams though have declined thinking about it though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Germany crumbled for a period of 2/3 tournaments, but they're in a much better place than they have been since 2016. Rebuilding nicely and some gigh quality young players in Musiala and Wirtz.

Italy are so lacking in talent. Just solid, unspectacular players with very little character.

I'm not sure about France. Better on paper than on the pitch imo. Griezmann isn't the menace he once was and beyond Mbappe they don't have many goalscorers.

Spain are interesting. Not many players that could sell a product but they're clicking again.

• Like 2