IGNORED

EURO 2024

phantom

52 minutes ago, Jose said:

It looks like it’s Trippier over Trent. And some people can’t understand why he gets stick 😂

In fairness, just because Trent is attack-minded doesn’t turn him from a RB into a RWB.  A lot of clamour for a back-3 and WBs this evening, but to me the WBs (whoever play there) are the sacrifice to get Foden and Bellingham in as a pair of 10s.  Our two WBs are gonna have to do a helluva lot of work, especially if we avoid Switzerland building out from the back, without Kane, Bellingham and Foden just being spread across the pitch doing doggies as the ball gets moved.  If Trippier and Saka push on to avoid that happening, Walker and Konsa have to be prepared to mark / close down on the flanks.  They can’t sit alongside Stones, or Saka and Trippier will get passed around, picked off.

Assuming he does go with the suggested set-up / line-up, that will be the thing that I’ll be looking out for tonight.

41 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He did it in the previous round too so not sure it’s just the one ref (and presumably VAR could intervene?) guess it’s just allowed or isn’t actually contravening the rule as has been shared

Gets stick if he doesn’t change, gets stick if he does.

Hes regularly changed to a 3 in tournaments so it’s not specifically bexuSe it’s Switzerland, it’s because he feels that’s the way to play against their setup.

Will reserve judgement TIL I see it in action, but many people are suggesting the same plan.

What is Frances plan? Bore the shit out of everyone and hope the defenders put the ball in the net for them?

No one will criticise him for changing. I think it’s clear though that he is changing to match them up rather than implement our game. 

Anyway no more negative comments from me. I’m looking forward to it and it’s a massive game. 

I’ll wait till at least ten minutes in 😇

23 minutes ago, Jose said:

No one will criticise him for changing. I think it’s clear though that he is changing to match them up rather than implement our game. 

Anyway no more negative comments from me. I’m looking forward to it and it’s a massive game. 

I’ll wait till at least ten minutes in 😇

I think what still bothers me is he tried 2-3 different styles in friendlies this year including a fairly aggressive press against Brazil and Grealish playing high and wide against Bosnia (and creating a goal from it) and has decided not to implement either style in the Euros.

Its more about how we play than shape or players for me, I’d like to see the wingbacks, probably more so Saka, play high and wide and then Foden or Bellingham can operate in that space that should be created on the left. (Where they’ve been trying to play anyway)

I can see Trippier being less aggressive/forward on the right and almost filling into a back 4 at times.

• Like 1

I honestly see us going home today, Switzerland are well organised, each player knows what to do, how they're to play and they do it well. We're disjointed at best and with Southgate trying to tinker to match them I have a feeling we're going to be massively uncoordinated. 

Southgate has done well for England imo, he's not deserving of the hate he gets but I think even his biggest fans will accept he's failing at this tournament so far. We've got a wealth on talent and he doesn't even know what his best team or formation is, it's a shame but I think they'll be our undoing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Was going to post the same but maybe thought I was misreading the game. Gave up at half time, like watching paint dry. Terrible advert for top class Euro 2024 football.

I dozed off in ET. Missed the pens

31 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yes, coming up through the youth teams.  I saw him a couple of times in underage England teams, you could tell he had great ability.

Problem with having him as a wing back is that he's one of the best players for running at the opposition and by using him as a wing back he'll be too deep to get into situations to beat the last man or push past in dangerous situations which leaves us short up top with that kind of player. TAA on the other hand can cause problems from deeper positions and would free Saka up to counter effectively. That said I can see why Southgate is happy with what he's chosen as under him what we lack this tournament is the ability to counter quickly and effectively, another reason why we struggle to create as much as we could.

2 hours ago, Super said:

It doesn't matter about formations. If we don't improve we'll be going out today.

True. They Swiss play as a team which, along with their flag, is a big plus.

(Been trying to shoehorn that gag into a post all day.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)

It’s down to our best players to show they can do it alongside slightly lesser players and aren’t just top notch system players at club level when they have players of pretty much equal ability alongside them. Thats what the very best do.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Hmm..

Not sure it was more 50/50?

Deserved by the Netherlands.

They have goals in them .

Basically kicked through the defenders legs onto the ball, seen them ruled out for much less with VAR!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Breaking news. He's been Dutch since about 1993, mate ...

The apostrophe preservation society would have something to say about that, mate…

Edited by glynriley
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Question… is this the worse Euros in living memory?

Has to be up there. 

If anything this proves there’s just too much football in the schedule and not enough time for players to recover from fatigue.

In space of 3 years we’ve had x2 European tournaments and a WC. International footballers must be shattered.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Has to be up there. 

If anything this proves there’s just too much football in the schedule and not enough time for players to recover from fatigue.

In space of 3 years we’ve had x2 European tournaments and a WC. International footballers must be shattered.

Obviously the pandemic had a knock on effect. Don’t think that should have an impact though. If it does that is what a squad is for. Kane looks shattered so give him a rest. Anyone coming in should be capable 

27 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Has to be up there. 

The staggered nature of it doesn't help...usually one every 2 years but Covid and a Winter World Cup played havoc.

Then there is the Nations League. It has its uses especially to help emerging or lesser Nations to progress but it it also takes time.

Clubs have to share some of the blame too or rather Governing bodies.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Over the past few weeks I've fallen down Youtube rabbit holes, watching games from 90's and 00's euros and world cups. It showed risk taking, pressing forward, direct, free passing & attacking teams. Great to watch.

In this Euros though, apart from Spain I've yet to watch anything I've really thought was 'exciting'. I don't mean in the last 15mins of a game when it's on the line, I mean from a whole 90 mins of Football.

Perhaps modern international football is now just more boring to watch over 90mins?!?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

Over the past few weeks I've fallen down Youtube rabbit holes, watching games from 90's and 00's euros and world cups. It showed risk taking, pressing forward, direct, free passing & attacking teams. Great to watch.

In this Euros though, apart from Spain I've yet to watch anything I've really thought was 'exciting'. I don't mean in the last 15mins of a game when it's on the line, I mean from a whole 90 mins of Football.

Perhaps modern international football is now just more boring to watch over 90mins?!?

The reason I asked was because I saw an image of France and England’s runs to the semi finals. It is truly shocking.

I don’t think anyone will be diving through the archives in years to come with any great fondness of these euros, unless it’s the final of course 😉

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Let’s test yours then… can you think of a worse one? 😂

All the ones we didn’t qualify for, the one Greece won! 😉

FWIW I’ve enjoyed this Euros from the attacking, fast-paced football played by some of the so-called lesser nations

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I’ve enjoyed this Euros from the attacking, fast-paced football played by some of the so-called lesser nations

Agreed. A number of the outright smaller or newer nations then some of the middle to lesser have been very enjoyable.

Austria the pick of these, Turkey at times, less so at others The two middling.

Georgia and Albania seemed quite fun, plus Slovakia and Romania- the latter historically a solid middle nation, they showed some signs in the Group Stage.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Me too Dave.

Their fast paced attacking football was able to turn defence into attack by moving the ball upfield very quickly, but without hitting it long. It was noticeable how often this disrupted the more established teams , who seem to be conditioned to playing against slow build up play that allows defences to get behind the ball and into shape ( very much like City's approach play does!).

The more established teams tend to play a style that minimises risks ( England typifies that) whereas the so called lesser teams played a more risk and reward style.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I was off for the start of the tournament and I really enjoyed a lot of the early games. For all the criticism of the expansion some of the other nations have been fun to watch. That being said it definitely seems like it has regressed as it's gone on. 

There is a good article here with some good comments from Bielsa on how football has given its soul to profit and managers aren't able to spend the time they need with players. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5623250/2024/07/09/idealism-is-dead-welcome-to-footballs-era-of-apple-fication?source=user-shared-article

Archive and non pawalled version - https://archive.ph/BP2wA

Edited by Rebounder
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, Rebounder said:

I was off for the start of the tournament and I really enjoyed a lot of the early games. For all the criticism of the expansion some of the other nations have been fun to watch. That being said it definitely seems like it has regressed as it's gone on. 

Me too, I enjoyed the games with the “lesser” nations, and as they’ve each got knocked out it’s got a bit less exciting.

• Like 3

Just now, RedEyez said:

Anyone know why there isn’t a 3rd/4th place play off game or is that just World Cup shenanigans? 

I checked this earlier. Hasn't been one since 1980! 

• Thanks 1