IGNORED

New kits - what on earth is going on!

1 hour ago, Spike said:

we'll look back and say "why did we go for a Croatia themed kit?". 

Probably hoping to unveil it being worn by a Croatian striker on the roof but that fell through so they had to think of some other bollocks to justify it.

Yes, sounds ridiculously far fetched but I wouldn’t put it past them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harvey86 said:

It’s a bit mad that normal fans with 5 minutes on their hands can identify and fix a design issue that must’ve been signed off by a my least a couple of people at the club! Hopefully the response to the home shirt(and the positive response to the keepers kit) will send a message

They will not care. Their actions of the last couple of years prove they do not care what us ‘customers’ think….

It’s Jon’s literal toy and as long as he is happy calling himself a maverick of shirt design then that’s that

Signed off? By a committee of one…

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It looks like I’m massively in the minority here, but I don’t think the kit is too bad. I much prefer it to the kit with white sleeves from 2 years ago, or when we have worn all red. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spike said:

GFwy4XJ.png

I think something like this would have been a good compromise of having a collar but still being "modern" and not ruining the shirt with stupid diamonds

That would have been a classic design. Looks really smart. Apart from the badge! Never been keen on the circle badge, another Jon design I assume!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spike said:

GFwy4XJ.png

I think something like this would have been a good compromise of having a collar but still being "modern" and not ruining the shirt with stupid diamonds

Again, a genuinely smart kit.

Unfortunately something like that is probably considered far too boring for the boneheads who makes these decisions at our club. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Whilst I hate the diamonds right now , I’m old enough to recall the half time launch of our very first purple and lime away kit ! It was greeted with a mix of eye rubbing incredulity , laughter and collective projectile vomiting and we now view that colour match as iconic ! 

It was greeted with chants of "what the ******* hell is that"

Only reason it's iconic is Anfield

Edited by SecretSam

I was watching a video on YouTube when I realised we are now Bristol City Surf Club and that the surf club was also established in 1894. What are the chances.

IMG_0108.thumb.jpeg.c80f1b6c1771f2be5b735d476409b3cb.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

So just got home and tried my new shirt on, the blue/green keeper shirt.

Collar is a bit better than last years, doesn’t feel like it’s too small and likely to rip

However the fit is terrible really. It bunches on the sleeve leaving some loose material and it’s quite boxy down the sides. It fits but it’s a worse fit than last years, in the same size.

Material seems the same or similar. It’s “shiny” hard to explain.

Ill try take some pictures but I need some sleep first after last night 🤣

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

The badge remains an utter embarrassment.

I like the badge, although the lack of bridge is bad. I hated the coat of arms. It said nothing about 'us'.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On another note what the hell is this on some of the coaching/training wear this season? 

I’m pretty sure Mr.B’s the brand consultants who gave City this crest would have been very clear in their instructions that a monochrome version of the crest can be reproduced in any single colour (as City have done more or less since they launched it with away kits and training wear) but as soon as it is produced in full colour, then like any logo it should always be the correct combination of colours to protect the brand identity.

This appears to be our official crest in full colour with a red robin but we’ve changed the ring from red to black - something to my knowledge we’ve never done before, and for good reason because it just cheapens and confuses the identity of our official crest. I remember seeing a clip of Mr. B’s guidelines and single colour alternatives were okay like most modern logos but tweaking the full colour identity is always a complete no. 

It’s painful to watch the club fail over and over again on such basic brand and design rules. They launched a new identity, have spent pretty much every season since then doing the opposite of trying to reinforce that brand by instead creating and promoting completely alternative motifs to indulge someone who likes playing (the word Robins, splat the Robin, City written in various styles), and now they’re just hacking the crest.

IMG_0109.thumb.jpeg.80571c9480e754b32a5dcec47773d207.jpeg 

Prediction: the crest, which since Day 1 has never enjoyed unconditional support, will become increasingly confused and devalued within the next 5-10 years the way the club is handling it, to the point people simply won’t identify with it with any great value or significance and we’ll need to refresh the club’s identity again (either back to a prior crest or onto another new one). And it will be all down to these amateurs running this stuff. 

• Like 15
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, David Brent said:

Norwich City and Joma have also gone for the chequered flag look

And that's how you do it subtly with style.

Their retro throwback keeper kits are wonderful

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Disagree. I don’t mind the badge. I’ve had a few people mention that I support Bristol City now at the gym, but I noticed people having to stare before with the old coat of arms. 

All about opinions though. 

We have got some things right, like all the Hummel gear. Some of the Bristol Sport kits were nice etc. When the keeper kit was announced, I noticed that nobody was talking about crayons (you’ve got to have the mental age of 2 to find that funny).

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

ha! You said crayons!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I don't buy kits, so I am not a customer (unless I get one at a charity auction) , so I am not the target client. But, when I saw the last kits created by Hummel , I thought they looked very modern, smart, and designed well. 

I am not sure what is going on with the current kit, it lacks cohesion, and following on from last seasons simply dire affair, that is hard to understand. I am not so sure JL is the kit designer as if he was, that means he managed the nice Hummel kits. Maybe it is the choices that O'Neils throw up (literally) they have to choose from? I do not know, but from a brand , design and image perspective, this will be 2 seasons in a row where it looks to me to be a substandard effort. It is hard to create something new each season, I get that, but the shirt still needs to look like someone with ability designed it.

I still hate the new badge, I much prefer our historical crests, as they said "Bristol" to me, and I am very proud of Bristol. Why don't the club poll season ticket holders on the badge? Put up a few designs, and see what season ticket holders think (season ticket because the club have contact and can control a voting process) 

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

I don't buy kits, so I am not a customer (unless I get one at a charity auction) , so I am not the target client. But, when I saw the last kits created by Hummel , I thought they looked very modern, smart, and designed well. 

I am not sure what is going on with the current kit, it lacks cohesion, and following on from last seasons simply dire affair, that is hard to understand. I am not so sure JL is the kit designer as if he was, that means he managed the nice Hummel kits. Maybe it is the choices that O'Neils throw up (literally) they have to choose from? I do not know, but from a brand , design and image perspective, this will be 2 seasons in a row where it looks to me to be a substandard effort. It is hard to create something new each season, I get that, but the shirt still needs to look like someone with ability designed it.

I still hate the new badge, I much prefer our historical crests, as they said "Bristol" to me, and I am very proud of Bristol. Why don't the club poll season ticket holders on the badge? Put up a few designs, and see what season ticket holders think (season ticket because the club have contact and can control a voting process) 

one of the main reasons quite a lot of clubs redesigned their crests was down to copyright.

many of the older badges were available to reproduce by anyone, and clubs being as usual single minded about income streams redesigned so the copyright could be closely controlled with a view to branding across all merchandise .

I presume we did the same, but since then as Ole rightly points out, the brand guidelines for the logo have been totally ignored and we have had a steam of shite design (the splat robin).

JL won't stop. he clearly thinks he is a design genius (see his web page)

i've made my views clear on this many times. just hire a proper design agency FFS! step away JL please!

looks like we are back on the treadmill of reinventing kit every season. what a shame.

Shit design, terrible neck and cuffs. And all I see is 'Hullabaloo' for the main sponsor. And as for the badge....

1 out of 10 (1 as at least the shirt's red)

And the Croatia inspired design is a definite 'nul points'.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Shit design, terrible neck and cuffs. And all I see is 'Hullabaloo' for the main sponsor. And as for the badge....

1 out of 10 (1 as at least the shirt's red)

And the Croatia inspired design is a definite 'nul points'.

Apart from that not to bad then

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Antman said:

the 'warm up' strip must be knock off Croatia stock surely?

I thought I noticed that on the Sam Bell picture, the pattern changes orientation as you go up (or down) the shirt.

Maybe my bad eyes (astigmatism), or an optical illusion, but er, no thanks.

• Like 1

I always get my, now six year old, kid a kit. He liked it because the pattern on the collar and cuffs reminded him of the fried chicken buckets in Dawn of the Nuggets.

I guess that kind of qualifies the design as being inspired by something Bristolian.

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2024 at 14:40, Spike said:

GFwy4XJ.png

Nice. Just the silly badge to sort out........

4 minutes ago, Harvey86 said:

Doesn't look like it fits him properly, but that's considerably better by my eye

That's what I thought. Doesn't hang right around the collar. Looks cheap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Two down, one to go.

And I think I'm the only person on the planet who prefers the Homer! Away kit is lovely and clean, but the Home one has more character. Admittedly that character is Luka Modric in Euro 2020, but character nonetheless! 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Haha 2

Having a sponsor free top like this as our away warmup kit, red with simple white trim …. Watch this sell out and never be restocked whilst we have the awful “home” variants there forever 

IMG_2528.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

No homage to the suspension bridge on the away kit then. Sad to see….

Ahh, but the round collar is an homage to the port holes on the SS Great Britain !!

• Haha 10

13 minutes ago, t_b said:

Having a sponsor free top like this as our away warmup kit, red with simple white trim …. Watch this sell out and never be restocked whilst we have the awful “home” variants there forever 

IMG_2528.jpeg

Stock levels always the problem