IGNORED

New kits - what on earth is going on!

So predictable. 80% of an acceptable shirt design which gets ruined by some gimmick, dressed up as something meaningful when in reality it's completely random nonsense. Although oddly I quite like the warm up kit.

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Fair play Jon, you've outdone yourself here 🤣🤣🤣

Wouldn't wear that if I was given it for free. 

I doubt he would give you it for free.

42 minutes ago, Stortz said:

The actual state of that wretched collar is just unbelievable

image.png.4f5b2ff875ea5da43a4bfb4145a50e60.png

image.png.411f556d972e180fdef7d6f02c0cdc97.png

Who the **** thinks that's ok with functioning eyes?

Gladstone Small would struggle with that collar.

• Haha 7

Just now, Tim Monaghan said:

I actually really like the warmup shirt. I think you either have to go really bold, or just plain. 

But actually like the warm up shirt. 

I've just spotted the coaches polo being modelled by Scotty. Now that would be a great kit in the right colours.

7 minutes ago, cidercity said:

I wonder why so many people are saying it’s hideous or the worst ever, is it because it is the worst or is it because they know it’s JL’s company that designed it and that’s just another stick to beat him with, I’m sure they will get Tinnion in there somewhere as well. It is just getting boring and childish now, don’t get me wrong I don’t agree with everything they do or say and I didn’t agree with the Pearson sacking just when we seemed to be building something but that’s gone, now it’s time to move on. I would love to know if the posters that keep spelling technical incorrectly have ever made a mistake in their grammar Im dam sure I have in this post.

Anyway I really like the new shirt, I still won’t buy it though as the price is more obscene than the design.

Nothing to do with any of that, not one iota.

It's just a genuinely ******* awful design, made by an entirely useless company who have the brand cachet of herpes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Wow. Such vitriol over a…

…football shirt.

It’s not that bad.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Nobody is forcing you to?

And if you can get dye to run off a polyester shirt, that is a magnificent achievement.

Thank you for pointing out that we are not forced to buy the shirt.

Unfortunately however, that means the club loses a revenue stream, fans don’t get to purchase good quality merchandise, and the club is less represented in the region - effectively losing out on advertising that all helps put the club on the map. All of which is symptomatic of management running a poor commercial operation that is failing the club and its supporters. And we’ve been crap at this stuff for far too long.

Its a bigger issue than just the shirt.

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

1 minute ago, Stortz said:

Nothing to do with any of that, not one iota.

It's just a genuinely ******* awful design, made by an entirely useless company who have the brand cachet of herpes.

I think this reply proves my point, insults for insults sake, nothing to do with the design.

• Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, cidercity said:

I wonder why so many people are saying it’s hideous or the worst ever, is it because it is the worst or is it because they know it’s JL’s company that designed it and that’s just another stick to beat him with, I’m sure they will get Tinnion in there somewhere as well. It is just getting boring and childish now, don’t get me wrong I don’t agree with everything they do or say and I didn’t agree with the Pearson sacking just when we seemed to be building something but that’s gone, now it’s time to move on. I would love to know if the posters that keep spelling technical incorrectly have ever made a mistake in their grammar Im dam sure I have in this post.

Anyway I really like the new shirt, I still won’t buy it though as the price is more obscene than the design.

Maybe if you look at responses to the goalkeeper kit, which was generally well received, you’ll see that’s not the case at all.  It’s just most of us think the home shirt (parts of the home kit) is shit.

Generally:

The designer did well with the keeper kit, praise.

The designer did a bad job with home kit, criticism.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The chequered idea could always have been much worse of course, Mainz fans probably equally fuming

mainz-05-24-25-home-kit%20%286%29.jpg

I quite like this, have you seem Leeds new one, boring, got some red bulls on it though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

The chequered idea could always have been much worse of course, Mainz fans probably equally fuming

that does show a bit more design input. 100% better than what we have

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cidercity said:

I think this reply proves my point, insults for insults sake, nothing to do with the design.

Can you not read?

I clearly stated my issue was with the design. It's awful.

Thank you for making me reflect further though, I now realise that I was far too kind when comparing O'Neils to Herpes.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thank you for pointing out that we are not forced to buy the shirt.

Unfortunately however, that means the club loses a revenue stream, fans don’t get to purchase good quality merchandise, and the club is less represented in the region - effectively losing out on advertising that all helps put the club on the map. All of which is symptomatic of management running a poor commercial operation that is failing the club and its supporters. And we’ve been crap at this stuff for far too long.

Its a bigger issue than just the shirt.

I agree.

And. 

This club is run in an appallingly amateur way. As I’ve mentioned many times before. The problem is the Lansdowns. 

• Like 5

Just now, Davefevs said:

Maybe if you look at responses to the goalkeeper kit, which was generally well received, you’ll see that’s not the case at all.  It’s just most of us think the home shirt (parts of the home kit) is shit.

Generally:

The designer did well with the keeper kit, praise.

The designer did a bad job with home kit, criticism.

Has it though, I’ve seen the same Tecknical people slagging that off as well. My point still stands let’s please move on, every thread is becoming a Tinnion slating (mostly) or a JL one, Christ someone in here mentioned a song about turning Japanese the other day and was called a racist but anything can be said about Tinnion or JL and nothing is said. 

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Ace shirt IMHO but... why have circles in decreasing sizes along the shoulders? 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Course not, but look at the amount of clubs, even all the way down to conference/conference south, who have better quality kits, kit brands & supply than us. 

Do you really believe someone like O’Neills was the very best commercial option for the club at the time?

Depends on where the money to be made is I suppose. Money up front for wearing the kit is scant below I’m sure the top 6 of the premier league, certainly not in the lower leagues especially now after Hummel uk shot their bolt trying to gain traction.

shirts will always sell but the template ones the majority of the 72 wear are not very inspiring so potentially the flexibility with o’Neil’s could lead to greater commercial success. Just got to get the design right (and the right people designing it - but the Gk Kit is good right?) and they have not got it right in this instance. Plain collar and they’d have been golden - will still sell loads though I’m sure 

Edited by Fjmcity

5 minutes ago, cidercity said:

but anything can be said about Tinnion or JL and nothing is said. 

I think you’ll find lots is said…to defend them.  Your post is an example isn’t it?

I think Jon’s kit designs and stuff is erratic.  I like some, dislike others.  I just don’t like the collar on this one, like I didn’t the “Arsenal” one two seasons back.

I think the hit and miss comes from the fact that he’s not a professional, trying to do a professional design job.  His video team are professionals for example, and I think we generally get good quality video content.  Employ a proper kit designer Jon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’ll find lots is said…to defend them.  Your post is an example isn’t it?

I think Jon’s kit designs and stuff is erratic.  I like some, dislike others.  I just don’t like the collar on this one, like I didn’t the “Arsenal” one two seasons back.

I think the hit and miss comes from the fact that he’s not a professional, trying to do a professional design job.  His video team are professionals for example, and I think we generally get good quality video content.  Employ a proper kit designer Jon.

The GK kit I'd buy all day long. 

Good design and the shirt looks like it is good quality. 

This however is a bad design and it looks cheap and tacky. 

56 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

…football shirt.

It’s not that bad.

And if you can get dye to run off a polyester shirt, that is a magnificent achievement.

People won’t buy it, easy. 

People have to see it every other week at a minimum for 95 mins of football for the next 9 months having paid £350+ for privilege, not quite as easy!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

Why the **** are so many negative bar stewards on this site , this is a city supporter site , support the club and get behind it or do one , it’s a football shirt mainly red with a little bit of white detail that’s all if it’s red and white strips it’s not liked if it had to much detail it’s not liked if it had collars it’s not like ffs it’s a footy shirt get over it 

To be honest, I really couldn’t give a shit what the shirt looks like, as long as it’s predominantly red with a bit of white. 

For me, the shirt isn’t the problem. 
It’s the total bollocks that surrounds it. 
I mean - inspired by the safety fence on the suspension bridge!! Really?? 

Just release the shirt and be done with it. Why announce a load of bollocks to justify a quite frankly basic design. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

To be honest, I really couldn’t give a shit what the shirt looks like, as long as it’s predominantly red with a bit of white. 

Just release the shirt and be done with it. Why announce a load of bollocks to justify a quite frankly basic design. 

And to add to the nonsense we’re now celebrating something (the bridge) that used to be, but no longer is, part of our badge - as redesigned by the bloke who designed this monstrosity. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

That’s a lot better than our new shite show tbf. And that’s saying something! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why have you only quoted half of my post ?

why is someone called racist for quoting a song but it’s ok to lay into JL and Tinnion. Double standards going on in this forum. Anyway I digress, I’m just getting fed up with every post turning into a stick to beat the 2 at the top with,I don’t agree with a lot they say but the name calling is just getting boring, it used to be a good read not anymore.

• Facepalm 1

Any other club I’d be wondering how the **** this god awful design got past an initial sketch…but with us this is the pinnacle of mavericks crayola skills.

Laughable, up there with the childlike / comic sans training gear from a few years ago. 

Another #makingbristolproud moment

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Meanwhile up north, a decent collar and kit can be done stylishly

2879_blackburn_rovers_24_25_macron_home_kit_d1.jpg

Whilst it’s nice, it’s made by macron - they do actually make Sunday league kits like O’Niells is being accused of. There would be the same uproar by many if we went with macron.

This is not the first time that a new design has been badly received. I recall the campaign for the London 2012 Olympic logo to be withdrawn. They stuck with the logo and looking back it was acclaimed as a design classic. This may have been influenced by the fact that the games went well. In the same way if City have a successful season this kit could be remembered fondly. Time will tell but the reaction so far is clear. If they had asked me I would have said that I love Bristol City, I admire the suspension bridge but that collar falls a long way short of the standards we should be setting. The shorts look better than the shirt. 

Starting to feel like we are with O'Neills because any other kit supplier would be putting their foot down and saying 'no we arent being associated with making that'. Why, just why can't we have a nice clean simple non retro, non stupid patterned, well made football shirt with our correct badge (at least that's not been repeated) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cidercity said:

Because it’s honestly the worst shirt I’ve seen from us since the TFG days

• Like 8

2 hours ago, cidercity said:

Why have you only quoted half of my post ?

why is someone called racist for quoting a song but it’s ok to lay into JL and Tinnion. Double standards going on in this forum. Anyway I digress, I’m just getting fed up with every post turning into a stick to beat the 2 at the top with,I don’t agree with a lot they say but the name calling is just getting boring, it used to be a good read not anymore.

Sorry mate but despite attempts by many, this isn't North Korea FC. 

This shirt is hideous. Its embarrassing that a Championship club who aspires to be a premier league club has come out with this horrendous design. 

Brian Tinnion and Jon Lansdown have high profile jobs. Against my better judgement I've spent over 500 quid on season tickets during a cost of living crisis. We have Tinnion with his haphazard recruitment plan and we have JL producing a kit that fans of other clubs are laughing at. 

If you're fed up of all the criticism then you need to start asking why fans are constantly criticising these people. If they were doing just a decent job, people wouldn't be criticising them!!!

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)

An absolutely terrible kit. I’m no fan of O’Neills, but they have been releasing some very nice kits for other clubs this coming season, so it has to be us.

Not much to contribute that hadn’t already been said.

When I think of our iconic bridge, I don’t think of the fence.

The training kit is so close to Croatia it overpowers our identity.

We’ve created a design rule, then don’t even stick to it. “It’s the diamonds on the bridge”… okay, but diamonds won’t work too well on the collar and cuffs… “Just squash them a bit”… okay, but they don’t really work on the shorts either… “Just turn them sideways”… okay, but then they’re squares, which is Croatia, and the training top doesn’t work… “Just turn them to an angle somewhere between what they look like on the bridge and a square”.

I hope to dear god that we don’t play in a diamond formation this season. We’ll be all over the place!

Edited by SydneyCity
  • Like 5

On the plus side, it has reminded me of one of my all-time favourite advertising ideas…

Shreddies weren’t selling too well over in Canada, so they released “NEW Diamond Shreddies”.

Many people loved them, many people complained. To keep everyone happy, they released a “Combo pack”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Harry said:

When, or if you played and you put on a fresh smart kit how did it make you feel? If you wore a dodgy looking dirty kit did it make you feel different? 

Virtually every person cares about how they look and feel, it’s a basic hierarchical need. And virtually everybodies mindset can be altered by what they are wearing.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Stortz said:

The actual state of that wretched collar is just unbelievable

image.png.4f5b2ff875ea5da43a4bfb4145a50e60.png

image.png.411f556d972e180fdef7d6f02c0cdc97.png

Who the **** thinks that's ok with functioning eyes?

I don’t know why we didn’t just go for a single line of ‘diamonds’- still naff, but much more palatable:

You_Doodle_2024-07-06T08_20_41Z.jpegI like the ‘shirt’ part of it with the subtle design in the red, but that collar is abysmal

Edited by Harvey86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harvey86 said:

I don’t know why we didn’t just go for a single line of ‘diamonds’- still naff, but much more palatable:

You_Doodle_2024-07-06T08_20_41Z.jpegI like the ‘shirt’ part of it with the subtle design in the red, but that collar is abysmal

Aye, I actually like the shirt.  The collar (and to a lesser extent the cuffs) is so garish it immediately draws the eye. 

The edits people have made for a plain white colour make it look really good. 

3 minutes ago, Harvey86 said:

You_Doodle_2024-07-06T08_20_41Z.jpeg

This does look a bit better.

As has often been the case with O'Neills, the fit and the quality is much of the issue. They really seem to struggle to make a collar!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Aye, I actually like the shirt.  The collar (and to a lesser extent the cuffs) is so garish it immediately draws the eye. 

The edits people have made for a plain white colour make it look really good. 

It’s a bit mad that normal fans with 5 minutes on their hands can identify and fix a design issue that must’ve been signed off by a my least a couple of people at the club! Hopefully the response to the home shirt(and the positive response to the keepers kit) will send a message

No designer in their right mind would design a shirt with diamonds on the collar and put squares on the shorts. 

Any opposition fan will be laughing and saying ' wtf is that? '...let alone our own fans. 

Feel sorry for the players having to wear it. You'd want to feel proud wearing it...not a clown. 

• Like 1

Couple of things.

Wonder what the new Zak Vyner range will offer, that was something everyone was unaware we needed.

Secondly, for those who have comment on the diamond collar, congratulations for getting this number of posts made without mentioning a pearl necklace.

• Haha 3

With the shirt so awful I thought I might buy me and my son a training top each instead, which I actually think are OK. And then I saw the prices.

Seriously, what the HELL are they thinking? Apart from the morals of charging that sort of money for a polyester t-shirt from an unknown brand, I refuse to believe this is the most profitable price point for the club. It’s disgusting.

BB11509D-D4B3-472F-9C6E-369B282E5581.png

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

With the shirt so awful I thought I might buy me and my son a training top each instead, which I actually think are OK. And then I saw the prices.

Seriously, what the HELL are they thinking? Apart from the morals of charging that sort of money for a polyester t-shirt from an unknown brand, I refuse to believe this is the most profitable price point for the club. It’s disgusting.

BB11509D-D4B3-472F-9C6E-369B282E5581.png

I bought me and the boy one each. The quality was good.

I’m close to xl but bought 2xl. Not even close to fitting. Very narrow and fitted like a large, miles off. My normal 2xl t - shirts are very loose fitting. 

I have bought training tops in the past and they fitted normally. Not these

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

…football shirt.

It’s not that bad.

It's not just a question of wanting to buy it or not.

Even if we've no interest in buying a football shirt our players will be wearing it representing the club we support.

It's actually very important to choose something the fans can happily identify with and be proud of, let alone the obvious financial hit for the club of choosing something which isn't popular.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

This does look a bit better.

As has often been the case with O'Neills, the fit and the quality is much of the issue. They really seem to struggle to make a collar!

For balance, I had last years goalkeeper shirt and the quality and fit is pretty good (some of the Bristol sport ones were far worse for fit). The collar is very small though, I always worry about ripping it when I take it off or hang it up.

ive bought the new blue one, it hadn’t arrived by the time I left for germany so can’t comment on it yet

13 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Whilst I don't like this one, I can accept that it's been well designed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Funny how we all see things differently

When I first saw the collar and cuffs, I immediately thought it was a homage to the 70's Umbro kit as we've been doing quite a bit retro bits n pieces recently

Might O’Neils be a bit unhappy creating a kit paying homage to another kit manufacturer??? 😀😀😀

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Is there anything the maverick Jon Lansdown can do?

I think the past year he's been learning about shapes. Hence the diamonds and squares and circles on the GK kit. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

1 hour ago, spudski said:

No designer in their right mind would design a shirt with diamonds on the collar and put squares on the shorts. 

Any opposition fan will be laughing and saying ' wtf is that? '...let alone our own fans. 

Feel sorry for the players having to wear it. You'd want to feel proud wearing it...not a clown. 

Have you heard about link between the use of a 70's red lino tile pattern and improved physical performance? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

I bought me and the boy one each. The quality was good.

I’m close to xl but bought 2xl. Not even close to fitting. Very narrow and fitted like a large, miles off. My normal 2xl t - shirts are very loose fitting. 

I have bought training tops in the past and they fitted normally. Not these

Any chance you've put on 2 stone?? 😀

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, sugarwray said:

This is not the first time that a new design has been badly received. I recall the campaign for the London 2012 Olympic logo to be withdrawn. They stuck with the logo and looking back it was acclaimed as a design classic. This may have been influenced by the fact that the games went well. In the same way if City have a successful season this kit could be remembered fondly. Time will tell but the reaction so far is clear. If they had asked me I would have said that I love Bristol City, I admire the suspension bridge but that collar falls a long way short of the standards we should be setting. The shorts look better than the shirt. 

Whilst I hate the diamonds right now , I’m old enough to recall the half time launch of our very first purple and lime away kit ! It was greeted with a mix of eye rubbing incredulity , laughter and collective projectile vomiting and we now view that colour match as iconic ! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Whilst I hate the diamonds right now , I’m old enough to recall the half time launch of our very first purple and lime away kit ! It was greeted with a mix of eye rubbing incredulity , laughter and collective projectile vomiting and we now view that colour match as iconic ! 

Purple and green is a mix that has been used for longer than some of us have been alive, as a comic book fan just look at the Joker, Hulk, Green Goblin, Mysterio and loads more. 

I get that a lot of our fans didn't like it because it was not traditional but it was a good combination from a design point of view as they are contrasting colours, meaning they work together very well when used in combination. 

For me that purple and lime kit was bold but the most important factor was the pattern used on it, that was a repeat pattern that is very difficult to break down and see so it was both complex, messy, yet structured which from a design point of view is very difficult to achieve successfully as every aspect of that shirt was conflicting and yet worked together. 

Our new shirt from a designers aspect is lazy, unstructured and has no direction. The main feature of the shirt are the collars and the cuffs which are largely associated with another team (Croatia) which instantly takes the identity away from what it should be creating, much as the Hummel kit with the white arms was associated with Arsenal. The worst issue is that they're not using the diamonds in any aspect other than to make it different to previous kits, you remove them and leave the collars and cuffs plain white and you have the most traditional City kit you can have. So as a designer the change implimented has successfully made it "different" but more importantly failed to keep the identity. 

I am highly confident in saying that we will not look back in 30 years and think 'yeah, diamonds are associated with Bristol City", they also won't be looked back on lovingly either, we'll look back and say "why did we go for a Croatia themed kit?". 

Look at it however you choose it is a bad design choice because it creates disassociation from the very thing it is supposed to represent. As a business decision it is a poor choice because the club should be looking to maximise sales and so the home kit should be a safe design as it's the bread and butter of the Merch and should looking to appeal to all the fans. The away kit should be a balance of tradition and taking a risk and the goalkeeper kits should be where you let you imagination run wild. 

I have a strong feeling that this is a decision made by someone who is still learning design and is trying to put their footprint on the kit without fully understanding that designing something isn't about your own personal taste/preference, it's about finding a balance that keeps tradition but also creates something fresh whilst maintaining the identity of the club. 

This kit is another failure and whilst Hummel made a similar mistake with the "Arsenal kit" I'm pretty confident that they gave the club options and the club chooses which option to run with, meaning there was probably a design that didn't have all white arms. For me, the real issue is who is signing off on these designs as I don't feel they know the fanbase, haven't done enough research or they simply don't care because they think they'll get enough sales regardless. 

I personally haven't bought anything O'Neills yet, I bought an average of two kits per season under Hummel, similar when we were having Bristol Sports kits as they were a lot better design but since switching to O'Neills I think we've had the worst selection per season in the last 10-20 years. 

• Like 16

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Have you heard about link between the use of a 70's red lino tile pattern and improved physical performance? 

a bit like go faster stripes on a Ford Cortina?

Edited by exAtyeoMax