IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Not sure where people get £5m as our summer transfer budget?

Getting 4 x forward/attacking players will be £10m minimum and I don’t think that’s an unrealistic figure especially if we are seeking better value on the continent 

There's no way we're spending 10 million quid this summer without selling. In my opinion.

On all the evidence currently in the public domain, I don't see how anyone can think that's likely.

Doesn't mean we won't of course - there's lots of stuff not in the public domain and for good reason. But based on what we've been told so far, a 10 million spend this summer without selling anyone seems unlikely- to me.

If we do, I'll be very happy and very surprised.

At the end of the season we were told we wanted a 7,9&10. No talk of wanting to sell Conway at that stage. So that was the summer budget - 3 players. And yeah  if anyone left, they'd need replacing.

Today, we're told the no.7 is done and 2 other strikers have agreed to join.

So I reckon that's the budget spent.

What's changed - and what might eventually mean we spend "10M" or whatever - is the fact Conway has decided to leave.

That's changed things. Now the money we think we can get for him will pay for Twine.

In other words, we're seeing "what football earns, football can spend" in action.

The curveball today has been the news we're after 2 more - 1 of which is Twine presumably? Maybe the other is a bit of forward planning  seeing as Wells has only 1 year left?

But the only way we're spending "10M" and getting 5 players in not 3, is because players (Conway?) are leaving. Which wasn't our preferred Plan A for this summer (even though we knew it was likely).

I'll be delighted if we buy so many attacking players as that is so obviously where we're not up to scratch. Finding the right strikers and creative types might just be transformative, as there's otherwise not much wrong with our defenders and midfielders.

An interesting couple of weeks ahead 🤞

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

There's no way we're spending 10 million quid this summer without selling. In my opinion.

On all the evidence currently in the public domain, I don't see how anyone can think that's likely.

Doesn't mean we won't of course - there's lots of stuff not in the public domain and for good reason. But based on what we've been told so far, a 10 million spend this summer without selling anyone seems unlikely- to me.

If we do, I'll be very happy and very surprised.

At the end of the season we were told we want a 7,9&10. No talk of wanting to sell Conway at that stage. So that was the summer budget - 3 players. And yeah  if anyone left, they'd need replacing.

Today, we're told the no.7 is done and 2 other strikers have agreed to join.

So I reckon that's the budget spent.

What's changed - and what might eventually mean we spend "10M" or whatever - is the fact Conway has decided to leave.

That's changed things. Now the money we think we can get for him will pay for Twine.

In other words, we're seeing "what football earns, football can spend" in action.

The curveball today has been the news we're after 2 more - 1 of which is Twine presumably? Maybe the other is a bit of forward planning  seeing as Wells has only 1 year left?

But the only way we're spending "10M" and getting 5 players in not 3, is because players (Conway?) are leaving. Which wasn't our preferred Plan A for this summer but we probably knew was likely.

I'll be delighted if we buy so many attacking players as that is so obviously where we're not up to scratch. Finding the right strikers and creative types might just be transformative, as there's otherwise not much wrong with our defenders and midfielders.

An interesting couple of weeks ahead 🤞

Agree with all of this & would just add I think we are after 4 players because Conway & Cornick will both leave.

Even in this scenario I still don’t reckon we’ll spend as much as £10m, especially if we can get Twine for another year on loan.

Loan fee probably £1m, plus all his wages, other 3 signings a maximum of £6m.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with all of this & would just add I think we are after 4 players because Conway & Cornick will both leave.

Even in this scenario I still don’t reckon we’ll spend as much as £10m, especially if we can get Twine for another year on loan.

Loan fee probably £1m, plus all his wages, other 3 signings a maximum of £6m.

Yes, I keep forgetting the possibility of a season long loan for Twine.

That would make sense, and seem increasingly likely, given the number of signings we seemingly have "in the bag" already plus what has been publicly stated about our budget constraints.

They might just be bluffing, of course, but that's not the owner's style.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

There's no way we're spending 10 million quid this summer without selling. In my opinion

Tinnion implied we wouldn't spend big when he said we had to be smarter than other clubs in recruitment. I'm with him on that as I don't want us going back to the overspending days.

Whether any fee for Tommy will make a significant difference depends on whether Steve wants to use some or all of it to reduce the amount he puts in.

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Tinnion implied we wouldn't spend big when he said we had to be smarter than other clubs in recruitment. I'm with him on that as I don't want us going back to the overspending days.

Whether any fee for Tommy will make a significant difference depends on whether Steve wants to use some or all of it to reduce the amount he puts in.

Mayulu at £3m is relatively smart tbh, may need some adaption but think he'll either come good for us in 12-18 months or he hits the ground running and we profit off him.

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Mayulu at £3m is relatively smart tbh, may need some adaption but think he'll either come good for us in 12-18 months or he hits the ground running and we profit off him.

Oh great let's sell to profit.

How can we build something if if is buy to sell, not back to that shit again. Granted pre Covid was different times, then FFP we kind of had to but..

Nest egg??

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh great let's sell to profit.

How can we build something if if is buy to sell, not back to that shit again. Granted pre Covid was different times, then FFP we kind of had to but..

Nest egg??

The only way we sell quickly is if he has a very good season, kind of the reason we buy players is to play well

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The only way we sell quickly is if he has a very good season, kind of the reason we buy players is to play well

I get that but we should stand firm more readily.

Jordan James- Birmingham, remained.

Whittaker- Plymouth, remained.

Clarke and Bellingham- Sunderland, remains to be seen. £25-30m and £20m. May price them out.

Otoh Wharton, Scott, Rogers.

Once we have become financially in a better place it's up to SL but we really have to try and keep and build.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that but we should stand firm more readily.

Jordan James- Birmingham, remained. So far...

Whittaker- Plymouth, remained. So far...

Clarke and Bellingham- Sunderland, remains to be seen. £25-30m and £20m. May price them out. So far...

Otoh Wharton, Scott, Rogers.

Once we have become financially in a better place it's up to SL but we really have to try and keep and build.

Still plenty of time in the window, as for January just gone, its not a window people often want to make moves like that in as 6 months as it can be an entirely different landscape, so rejecting offers in January is very different to rejecting offers in a summer and I'm not advocating that we would sell in a January window. 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Still plenty of time in the window, as for January just gone, its not a window people often want to make moves like that in as 6 months as it can be an entirely different landscape, so rejecting offers in January is very different to rejecting offers in a summer and I'm not advocating that we would sell in a January window. 

It is a difficult one. I'm not saying never sell, Dai Yongge at Reading did this and it backfired, Chansiri to an extent.

I do think those price tags will price the Sunderland pair out of a move in the summer..and in a sense if you are a compliant club and the player has a decent contract length you hold the cards.

Plymouth and Whittaker harder to say and Birmingham did get relegated of course.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Been watching a bit of WS tonight…gotta use those minutes!!

Was quite impressed how he rolls inside off of his man, and quickly into his stride.  I thought the goals clips I put up me gave the impression of good feet but a bit awkward in his movement.  So this feels a bit of a bonus.  I like his movement in the box, rarely still, looking to go near to far or vice-versa.

Of course equating Austrian Bundesliga to Championship isn’t easy.

And worth recognising that at 21 he’s not only not the finished article, but first season at this level, and pretty much he either starts and subbed off, or subbed on…28 league apps / 15 90s / 47 mins per match, so still developing (a positive too).

1 minute ago, Dolman Block B said:

Any updates on this potential signing ?

Personally think Scott Parker will want to assess the squad in full before he says who stays and goes 

Parker red hot favourite for the job up there now 

IMG_5565.png

Think this one will die a death tbh. Always did as soon as burnley were getting relegated. Why would they sell a championship capable player to a rival when he could offset any other players that may want out in a similar position...

I hope we have a good alternative option lined up

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Think this one will die a death tbh. Always did as soon as burnley were getting relegated. Why would they sell a championship capable player to a rival when he could offset any other players that may want out in a similar position...

And, IMO, that would be a good thing. He showed nowhere near enough to suggest he should be a key signing when he was here in his loan spell and signing him - while backing the manager - would be the epitome of a bloody stupid deal. We’ve seen him. We know he’s not great. We know he doesn’t want to do it with back to the wall (see Huddersfield). 1 excellent game out of 8, and that against a relegated side? Absolutely no way we should touch him at the mooted fee.

And if Scott Parker rates him, that just confirms that opinion. The man struggles with knitwear, let alone midfielders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And, IMO, that would be a good thing. He showed nowhere near enough to suggest he should be a key signing when he was here in his loan spell and signing him - while backing the manager - would be the epitome of a bloody stupid deal. We’ve seen him. We know he’s not great. We know he doesn’t want to do it with back to the wall (see Huddersfield). 1 excellent game out of 8, and that against a relegated side? Absolutely no way we should touch him at the mooted fee.

And if Scott Parker rates him, that just confirms that opinion. The man struggles with knitwear, let alone midfielders.

Irrelevant.

Liam Manning wants him.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Totally agree no chance we are getting Twine now, see him absolutely fitting what Parker will want

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Irrelevant.

Liam Manning wants him.

And there has, to date, been nothing to suggest that Liam Manning knows a good footballer any more than Helen Keller does.

I don’t disagree with you that the outcome will be that we’ll sign Twine (likely for a massively inflated fee), but it’s in no way a sensible move 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 4

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Are Burnley genuinely going to do anything until a new manager comes in a reviews the squad??

They’ve already made signings without a manager!

Genuinely rather we move on. He’s never performed at this level, he was superb in League 1 but there is a gap in general unless you are an Ipswich and Birmingham with money. I am sure there are some good better value options in the market we are shopping in. 

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 4

11 hours ago, BLRed said:

We do have an alternative lined up, considerably less in cost, don't know the name so don't know if it's good,!

9 minutes ago, frenchred said:

We do have an alternative lined up, considerably less in cost, don't know the name so don't know if it's good,!

Massive gamble if it is who I’ve heard.

If we have learned anything this month those on here claiming SL would back Manning heavily are dreaming.

£2.5m at the very most for Mayulu, a nominal fee to borrow the Japanese player, £2m for the Croatian & haggling to get Twine on loan.

Not willing to pay the asking price for him or the Auxerre player.

Barely £6m all in & if Conway leaves that is more than half of that back & very little likelihood of any more expenditure.

• Like 7
  • Hmmm 2

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can you not divulge who you have heard? Be interested to get a general consensus of opinion on who he is 

39 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

If we have learned anything this month those on here claiming SL would back Manning heavily are dreaming.

£2.5m at the very most for Mayulu, a nominal fee to borrow the Japanese player, £2m for the Croatian & haggling to get Twine on loan.

Barely £6m all in & if Conway leaves that is more than half of that back & very little likelihood of any more expenditure.

To be honest with you I’d be happy with that if that’s how we look at the end of the transfer window.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

To be honest with you I’d be happy with that if that’s how we look at the end of the transfer window.

Personally would prefer to keep Conway and play to his strengths, tell Sykes this is his season and he will be played high on the right and have kept SPH to play his part from the bench.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Can you not divulge who you have heard? Be interested to get a general consensus of opinion on who he is 

No, that wouldn’t be fair on the person who told me.

It will all come out in the wash in the next month let’s take a view then, eh?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Problem is, despite Tinnion repeatedly telling us “players have agreed to sign”, so far we have one & no certainty whatsoever about any others.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough.

But could you give us an idea in what way a gamble ?

I assume not an expensive option, so inexperienced or not, ex.  PL or…. ? Thanks for the info & also anything further if you choose to divulge.

4 minutes ago, Lavington Robin said:

Fair enough.

I assume not an expensive option, so inexperienced or not, ex.  PL or…. ? Thanks for the info & also anything further if you choose to divulge.

Or maybe it's an ex star with a shady past?

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not sure about this. I’d argue 4.5 mil on two players for a champ team is fairly good backing. One loan with option to buy is good business as it may not work out. Not paying asking price for Twine is sensible as he’s not worth anywhere near what Burnley are asking. The Auxerre player probably got a better/more attractive offer. Nobodies asked for your source - hate the “I know something you don’t know” posts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Not sure about this. I’d argue 4.5 mil on two players for a champ team is fairly good backing. One loan with option to buy is good business as it may not work out. Not paying asking price for Twine is sensible as he’s not worth anywhere near what Burnley are asking. The Auxerre player probably got a better/more attractive offer. Nobodies asked for your source - hate the “I know something you don’t know” posts

BLRed asked him for more info.  All Graham said was it would be unfair to the person who told him.  We know there are alternatives, others have posted as such.

Yes bargain  basement  momey and a gamble ,as said previously  5m tops going out & collecting  fees in ,I ain't getting my hopes up .

• Like 2

I'm not in any way positive about SL/BT or the way we're being run, but you probably can include Bird (We must have paid more than the compo would have been to secure him), Stokes, the most promising player in NL and Murphy (Not a huge fee, but based on those couple of 21's apps, a very good prospect) in the list, plus the renewal of Joe Williams saves us from having to make another splash at CM. 

I don't want us to throw cash at it tbh. Other than a back up GK I can't see any holes in the squad if the signings you list all happen. 

• Like 4

Who are the suggested alternatives as I can think of any as capable? One reason I would be very disappointed in not signing twine was for his set pieces. For so long we have been crying out for someone with the ability to put in a good corner and be able to score from direct free kicks. He offers that and I don't think anyone else in our squad has that capability.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

The post was More about the other nonsense 

Do you know what's worse than the "I know something you don't know" posts? The "I'm wracked with jealousy that I'm not someone who has any contacts" posts.

I for one am always appreciative of anyone passing on something they've heard; More often than not it's wrong or things change to make it outdated, but it adds a bit of colour to the picture we're all interested in. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Do you know what's worse than the "I know something you don't know" posts? The "I'm wracked with jealousy that I'm not someone who has any contacts" posts.

I for one am always appreciative of anyone passing on something they've heard; More often than not it's wrong or things change to make it outdated, but it adds a bit of colour to the picture we're all interested in. 

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

BLRed asked him for more info.  All Graham said was it would be unfair to the person who told him.  We know there are alternatives, others have posted as such.

He hasn’t passed anything on. Theres nothing to be jealous of, as I said, the post was more about the other comments which I completely disagree with

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BLRed said:

1 hour ago, Lavington Robin said:

Fair enough.

I’ll help out a bit here. 
I was told a name a couple of weeks ago and promised to keep it to myself. Which I have done. 
But I’ve since heard the same name mentioned by a number of other people so I don’t mind giving a little bit of info as I know it’s not going to have come directly from my source or me. 

I won’t say the name, but I’m told that the ‘number 10’ we may be considering rather than Twine is a “gamble” as Graham put it’d because he has zero experience in England, let alone the Championship. 
He’s 22, Brazilian and has a total of 18 appearances in the Brazilian Serie A. 

So whilst it would certainly be a somewhat exciting signing, as Graham says, it’s likely a big gamble too. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was told a name a couple of weeks ago and promised to keep it to myself. Which I have done. 
But I’ve since heard the same name mentioned by a number of other people so I don’t mind giving a little bit of info as I know it’s not going to have come directly from my source or me. 

I won’t say the name, but I’m told that the ‘number 10’ we may be considering rather than Twine is a “gamble” as Graham put it’d because he has zero experience in England, let alone the Championship. 

So whilst it would certainly be a somewhat exciting signing, as Graham says, it’s likely a big gamble too. 

Is it Bobadilla?

30 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Who are the suggested alternatives as I can think of any as capable? One reason I would be very disappointed in not signing twine was for his set pieces. For so long we have been crying out for someone with the ability to put in a good corner and be able to score from direct free kicks. He offers that and I don't think anyone else in our squad has that capability.

And yet he didn’t take them all in the games he was fit!!!  How did that happen?

Id said I’d check his assists, based on video clips, 15 assists from MKD onwards:

8 what I’d describe as through balls

3 corners / crosses

1 freekick

3 simple passes

(3 seasons / 2 and a bit of playing time due to injury).  I was surprised the through balls was as high and the set-pieces so low…you live and learn.

He does have undeniable quality from a corner delivery and clearly has the ability to take and score direct from free-kicks, something we can't associate with anyone else in our squad. Provides a different dimension to set-pieces rather than the age old short corner failed routine or the inability to beat the first man from numerous other takers.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And yet he didn’t take them all in the games he was fit!!!  How did that happen?

Id said I’d check his assists, based on video clips, 15 assists from MKD onwards:

8 what I’d describe as through balls

3 corners / crosses

1 freekick

3 simple passes

(3 seasons / 2 and a bit of playing time due to injury).  I was surprised the through balls was as high and the set-pieces so low…you live and learn.

Am I allowed to say that 5 assists a season (or factoring up to say 6-7 to account for the injury time) is pretty underwhelming for a “playmaker” - noting that the real metric should be “big chances created” which should account for the strikers not finishing off opportunities, and there is always the fabled “assist to the assist”

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

This window just gets better and better. A French forward, a Japanese winger, a Croatian target man and now a Brazilian playmaker?! 🥳 

It's like supporting City and playing Champ Man all at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

That's because your chatting shit basically.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 7

Whilst I am excited by this international approach, we have lost the likes of James, King and Weimann. All of whom have valuable experience and have great leadership qualities. 

Just hope we find the right balance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

imago imag

He's 22, born May 22, 2002 and he'd be signing no.2 of the Summer ..... It's written in the stars, surely!  ..... Welcome '2' Ashton Gate, Matheus! 

2 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:
imago imag

He's 22, born May 22, 2002 and he'd be signing no.2 of the Summer ..... It's written in the stars, surely!  ..... Welcome '2' Ashton Gate, Matheus! 

Sounds like a Deep State signing to me. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Cant be him then mate.  

Only played 18 games…. We all know we do such a vigorous scouting job that we watch a player at least 40-50 times live before signing. 

🤣🙈

• Haha 10
  • Flames 1

Just now, petehinton said:

Cant be him then mate.  

Only played 18 games…. We all know we do such a vigorous scouting job that we watch a player at least 40-50 times live before signing. 

🤣🙈

Could’ve done the other 32 on Champ Manager? 😃

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Problem is, despite Tinnion repeatedly telling us “players have agreed to sign”, so far we have one & no certainty whatsoever about any others.

I think Tinnion said good news on two and paperwork being done but if they are from various parts of the world , Japan etc that paperwork may take a while eg clearances etc 🤞they are moving them forward