IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In their minds - Toughski Shitski / Unlucky Kentucky 😀😀😀

I just have a gut feeling that they don't really want him and we'll end up paying a (not-so-cheap) loan fee for the season with no future fee set.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I just have a gut feeling that they don't really want him and we'll end up paying a (not-so-cheap) loan fee for the season with no future fee set.

My gut feel is nothing will be imminent.  I hope we move on, and if we can’t secure anyone else, we try a loan deal later in the window.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is nothing will be imminent.  I hope we move on, and if we can’t secure anyone else, we try a loan deal later in the window.

Agreed. As he was on loan last season and has played under LM before, they’re probably not as concerned about pre season/integrating him with tactics and so on.

Perhaps the Conway situation is holding things up with the knock on effect of a sale or less likely he’ll sign a new contract

Someone made the point about signing Bird, Stokes, Murphy in Jan for the summer 

Had those deals been announced in last week(s) along with Mayulu and others inbound it would feel very different with summer business  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Agreed. As he was on loan last season and has played under LM before, they’re probably not as concerned about pre season/integrating him with tactics and so on.

Perhaps the Conway situation is holding things up with the knock on effect of a sale or less likely he’ll sign a new contract

Had those deals been announced in last week(s) along with Mayulu and others inbound it would feel very different with summer business  

It maybe more a case of our players inc new players integrating with him per se.  I’m sure LM would’ve preferred him done and dusted though.

+++++

I’m pretty chilled, Bird, Stokes and Murphy are onboard.  Great we did a bit of business in January.  Meant we could attack the summer knowing exactly what we wanted, hence the interim objective of this summer’s recruitment was to get these 4 new signings (7, 9, 9, 10) in by preseason.  We know from Tinnion we lost one of the targets too.  We’ve missed that interim target / or putting some positive spin on it, we’ve delivered 25% of it.

I don’t see too much angst re this, because most of us can see the bigger picture is more about when we start playing games. We can judge then whether the delay in getting new signings in impacted the season or not.

Recruitment will never (rarely) be perfect.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ashton Fete said:

Yes but those deals were done in the last window if they hadn't have been done then that would have been a poor transfer window they can't have credit for those signings now

Edited by westonred
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, westonred said:

Yes but those deals were done in the last window if they hadn't have been done then that would have been a poor transfer window they can't have credit for those signings now

The point I was making is that none of them have played a game for us so yes they signed in January but they’re new players in a footballing sense 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashton Fete said:

Yes, but it would have made the Jan business abysmal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Yes, but it would have made the Jan business abysmal.

Could be miles out here (caveat before Fevs embarasses me 😂)

but from my quick look … we have made the same number of signings so far (1) as WBA, Leeds and Burnley (and others but bigger clubs) and clubs that have made no signings so far are Cardiff, Luton, Millwall, Preston and Sheff Utd.

Yes it’s frustrating and the principle reason for this is BT in his rush for attention (still can’t get over him being in new season promo) not being able to keep his mouth shut 

However, I’m optimistic about seeing the Jan signings and those we’ll sign now

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

Could be miles out here (caveat before Fevs embarasses me 😂)

but from my quick look … we have made the same number of signings so far (1) as WBA, Leeds and Burnley (and others but bigger clubs) and clubs that have made no signings so far are Cardiff, Luton, Millwall, Preston and Sheff Utd.

Yes it’s frustrating and the principle reason for this is BT in his rush for attention (still can’t get over him being in new season promo) not being able to keep his mouth shut 

However, I’m optimistic about seeing the Jan signings and those we’ll sign now

I thought Millwall signed the Wrexham striker? 

Would be surprised if he wasn’t here, but on loan again. Hes Manning’s number 1 choice, and if it’s a case of having him on loan, vs signing someone else on a perm, I’m almost certain he’d pick the former. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

In all honesty, at this stage I'd prefer us to just pay the fee. Not because I think he's worth it but because it means Liam has exactly what he wants and we can then begin to judge him, one way or another, as a coach. 

See, I get what you’re saying here but I fundamentally disagree. Unless you’re a Man City, it’s very rare that you have exactly the player you want. And if you do have exactly the player you want, then I think judging you as a coach is actually more difficult - ie are you getting results because of the player or because of your coaching ability?

The bottom line(s) for me is that Twine isn’t worth the attention we’ve given him. He didn’t lead to fantastic performances when fit last year, and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t this year from a decent sample of watching him up close.

But the broader bottom line is that Liams ability as a coach should be precisely judged when he doesn’t have 100% what he wants. Because we aren’t operating in a utopia for him. No coach, based on shelf life, ever has 100% “his players” and as Liam has been in charge for 9 months now, I think it’s fair to judge based on what he has (which was a solid championship squad with room to grow) whether he’s all that and a bag of chips as a coach.

As often said - big first 10-12 games. With or without Twine.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

See, I get what you’re saying here but I fundamentally disagree. Unless you’re a Man City, it’s very rare that you have exactly the player you want. And if you do have exactly the player you want, then I think judging you as a coach is actually more difficult - ie are you getting results because of the player or because of your coaching ability?

The bottom line(s) for me is that Twine isn’t worth the attention we’ve given him. He didn’t lead to fantastic performances when fit last year, and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t this year from a decent sample of watching him up close.

But the broader bottom line is that Liams ability as a coach should be precisely judged when he doesn’t have 100% what he wants. Because we aren’t operating in a utopia for him. No coach, based on shelf life, ever has 100% “his players” and as Liam has been in charge for 9 months now, I think it’s fair to judge based on what he has (which was a solid championship squad with room to grow) whether he’s all that and a bag of chips as a coach.

Making it so obvious that Manning is desperate to sign him doesn't help our negotiating position either. I hope we don't cave in and pay over the odds just to keep him happy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Making it so obvious that Manning is desperate to sign him doesn't help our negotiating position either. I hope we don't cave in and pay over the odds just to keep him happy.

It’s a broader point isn’t it? Because of what they’ve invested in Liam being a success, they need to keep him happy (and FWIW if we back him, IMO, great). But - because of how we (sorry to hark back), handled Pearsons sacking, Liams appointment and all else subsequently, it’s a bizarre position where a manager who has performed under par has the technical director over a barrel - and purely because of how the TD has done things.

Not a healthy scenario in any way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s a broader point isn’t it? Because of what they’ve invested in Liam being a success, they need to keep him happy (and FWIW if we back him, IMO, great). But - because of how we (sorry to hark back), handled Pearsons sacking, Liams appointment and all else subsequently, it’s a bizarre position where a manager who has performed under par has the technical director over a barrel - and purely because of how the TD has done things.

if we dont get him,liam will have a get out of jail free card in as much as they didnt back him like they said they would.not his fault his plans didnt work.

5 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’m hoping we will know one way or another by the end of this weekend.

We will know one way or another by the end of this thread..

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Except... Scott Twine isn't the be all and end all of available ACMs - surely....?

Mind you, if our next option really is a Brazilian boy who's played "18" games... Blimey

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

We’ve obviously cast the net a lot further afield for the winger and striker. From Brazil to Japan.

I can’t believe in that search we haven’t found a 10 who is the same, or greater, ability than Twine for less money and/or an easily deal to do.

I get they want to back the manager but sometimes you have to say no. I bet Ten Hag wishes someone said no to his Antony request!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Henry said:

We’ve obviously cast the net a lot further afield for the winger and striker. From Brazil to Japan.

I can’t believe in that search we haven’t found a 10 who is the same, or greater, ability than Twine for less money and/or an easily deal to do.

I get they want to back the manager but sometimes you have to say no. I bet Ten Hag wishes someone said no to his Antony request!

Tbf I don’t want us gambling on a lad that has played very few games out of the Brazilian league instead of twine but am not averse to other alternatives 

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I do agree entirely with you Silvio. I guess my point is that in any discussion where I have presented the view that he "isn't that good" I've faced the inevitable retort that "He needs to build his own side before we can judge". 

We have one of the best defences in the division both statistically and as individuals imo; We have a very good midfield base of highly rated players with plenty of experience. Manning's big problem has been we don't have the "forwards to play my system"; so giving him those takes that excuse away. 

I've judged. I was done around Easter; form towards end of season helped temper the mood but more importantly the way we pressed changed and that showed that Manning can be flexible. Like you I'm in the 10-12 games at the start of the season to see how a pre-season improves us. I just worry that not getting the players in early (as desired) will provide another excuse if it all goes a bit meh. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Henry said:

To be fair the type of "10" we want isn't actually that prevalent in modern football. Those types have been shoehorned into wide positions over the last decade or so because they don't work in "positional play". You've only got to look at Ganso, one of the best technical 10's to come out of Brazil in a long time. Almost ruined in Europe and now playing his best football in his mid-thirties for Fluminese because they have one of the small number of "anti-Pep" coaches out there. 

Ironically; Pep now utilising "10's" having spent most of his career creating the environment where they've been marginalised. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Hirakawa has taken the 7 shirt, I think it’s looking less and less likely we’ll get Twine now

Twine took on number 7 halfway through the season because it was one of the only numbers available.

It isn't his preferred number, in fact it is the only time he has worn it in his career.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Watch hull come in and buy twine permanently now they are getting 16 mill for philogene 

I bet Hull arn't Happy with him after he left them midseason to come to us

2 hours ago, Bcfc24 said:

Hirakawa has taken the 7 shirt, I think it’s looking less and less likely we’ll get Twine now

Is number 9 Fally?

2 hours ago, Bcfc24 said:

Twine will take 10 vacated by King. Only because 7 was free when on loan. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Watch hull come in and buy twine permanently now they are getting 16 mill for philogene 

I know money talks but given that they largely played Twine out of position and he wasn't particularly happy about it. Then I can't see that he'd want to go there unless of course the new Manager has a different role for him i.e. where Manning wants to play him. 

Edited by supercidered
missed word

49 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Watch Twine say - No thanks!

Watch Hull say - No thanks as well.

Imagine if it was us and we’d had the player with us for half a season for an underwhelming loan spell and even despite that signed him permanently in the summer.

I can’t see Hull doing that. No serious team would.

• Like 3

• Admin
1 hour ago, westonred said:

I bet Hull arn't Happy with him after he left them midseason to come to us

Didn’t Hull collude to send him back so they could take a winger from Burnley instead?

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Imagine if it was us and we’d had the player with us for half a season for an underwhelming loan spell and even despite that signed him permanently in the summer.

Hull have a new manager.  Things change.

I've ignored this thread for a bit so sorry if I've missed anything but...

Burnley now have a manager and have returned for pre-season. Surely we're getting closer and closer to a point where they either decide 

1) he's part of their plans and they're not selling

2) he could be part of their plans so aren't going to drop their asking price and they'll see what happens

3) he's not part of their plans and it makes sense to accept a lower than asking price bid for him.

It seems 3) is the only scenario where we end up with Twine. But surely, if they've not dropped their price by next week, it's the point where we have to accept their price isn't going to drop and we need to either stump up the asking price or move on...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Burnley now have a manager and have returned for pre-season. Surely we're getting closer and closer to a point where they either decide 

2) he could be part of their plans so aren't going to drop their asking price and they'll see what happens

3) he's not part of their plans and it makes sense to accept a lower than asking price bid for him.

It seems 3) is the only scenario where we end up with Twine. But surely, if they've not dropped their price by next week, it's the point where we have to accept their price isn't going to drop and we need to either stump up the asking price or move on...

4) he's not part of their plans but still want to recoup what they paid for him. 

• Like 1

At Hull he (Twine) got 4 Goals and 3 Assists in 25 League games.

Not bad but not stellar either. If the double move to Ipswich goes through they will have some money to spend but not loads, but also some voids to fill- well they already have the latter.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Based on the fees we have probably paid out for the 2 players this transfer window, I would be surprised if Twine wasn’t the No1 target that LM wanted to bring in with what is available in his budget 

As Burnley now have a Manager in place and he is looking at the squad he has, I would imagine things will move quite quickly now regards his potential move otherwise we will need to move on to the next target. 

currently we only have one new signing that will be available for the first few games and the uncertainty of what is happening with TC 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

4) he's not part of their plans but still want to recoup what they paid for him. 

5) No one is paying that, so they accept a reasonable offer or keep a player they don’t want.

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If that was the case, we would or should know that already and doesn’t change our need to shit or get off the pot.

We were told in January that they would shift from their demands so that's why we made it a loan and hoped they'd lower their demands in the summer which at present doesn't seem to be the case. 

Posted (edited)

The Birmingham vs us makes little sense, we have significantly more headroom than them IMO albeit relegation brings with it some slightly different rules but with a sting in the tail if promoted with big losses.

Of course that is where SL comes in or doesn't as the case maybe.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

5) No one is paying that, so they accept a reasonable offer or keep a player they don’t want.

Brum might be prepared to pay it. 

Or they could send him out on loan again and get a fee. 

They are not a club that's desperate for money.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The Birmingham vs us makes little sense, we have significantly more headroom than them IMO albeit relegation brings with it some slightly different rules but with a sting in the tail if promoted with big losses.

Of course that is where SL comes in or doesn't as the case maybe.

They also have backers than need to make a statement post relegation Mr P. Signing Twine, especially at that level, might be that statement.

I honestly don't know if they're still hovering tbh.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

They also have backers than need to make a statement post relegation Mr P. Signing Twine, especially at that level, might be that statement.

Birmingham are just hard to gauge for me tbh Ska. Their big losses across 2021-22, 2022-23 coming into last season for one, big backers, new financial rules vs moving between the divisions.

I get the Statement signing thing but just wonder.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I wonder what the latest on our potential signing of Scott. I see Sunderland are showing a big interest. I feel if we want him then pay the money or move on to other targets 

Not seen that but they have just signed Alan Browne the Preston midfielder 

That is a good signing for them and I've always said their model is slightly flawed.l yet fundamentally so.

Lots of promise, financially sound and FFP more than fine too, big club...but not enough experience in the spine. They probably need an experienced striker or 2 too and maybe one or 2 here and now players across the side.

58 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I wonder what the latest on our potential signing of Scott. I see Sunderland are showing a big interest. I feel if we want him then pay the money or move on to other targets 

As it stands he’s getting the opportunity to impress Parker in preseason training! 😀

On 09/07/2024 at 17:51, Ska Junkie said:

Tbh, if I was Twine no way would I want to drop to L1 when I’ve been playing in championship 

Birmingham is a risk as there in no guarantee they get promoted next season 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2024 at 13:04, Silvio Dante said:

Watch Bristol City announce permanent deal for Mebude now!

• Haha 1

On 09/07/2024 at 17:32, GrahamC said:

6) Twine makes clear he wants out from the outset, new manager states he only wants players who want to be part of his project so would sanction some form of departure.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

6) Twine makes clear he wants out from the outset, new manager states he only wants players who want to be part of his project so would sanction some form of departure.

If he does that officially, aren't there relatively large financial penalties for ST?

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If he does that officially, aren't there relatively large financial penalties for ST?

I guess only from a salary and add-ons perspective, as it would be ultimately a sanctioned departure would any penalty clauses kick in? From Burnley's perspective it frees up payroll budget from a squad player that didn't feature last season, on the assumption that Parker wants one or two of his own players.

Using our own recent history when Pearson came in, he was happy for a number of players to leave despite them being in contract because they weren't going to fit in with what he wanted..

The thing here is this. We were told that we’d look to do business early, and had our primary targets. If those primary targets didn’t come off quickly, we were told we’d quickly pivot to plan B.

Its clear Twine was plan A. However it’s also clear it hasn’t happened quickly, and also clear that nothing is on the horizon as Parker is having a look at him. 

Whether people like Twine or not, it’s clear that we’ve now been pursuing since the season ended - so two months - and as much has been said by the management. Therefore, it has to be time to walk away by their own statements.

He’s not the only bloke that can kick a ball….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 2

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The thing here is this. We were told that we’d look to do business early, and had our primary targets. If those primary targets didn’t come off quickly, we were told we’d quickly pivot to plan B.

In fairness to the club, we have pivoted to Plan B, it just happens that Plan B is "make Plan A happen".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, INCRED said:

Tbh, if I was Twine no way would I want to drop to L1 when I’ve been playing in championship 

Birmingham is a risk as there in no guarantee they get promoted next season 

He's a football player

He will go to whoever pays him the most!

• Hmmm 2

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He's a football player

Not sure , I think if the gap was huge of course may be swayed, but if not much in it not sure he’d want to drop back into League One a couple of years after his big move 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He's a football player

Not all players are money driven. Personally though I'm ambivalent to the situation. LM. wants him, which is fair enough, but from what I've witnessed so far there would have to be significant improvement to convince me he's a 'must have' player to propel us towards the top 6.

• Like 2