IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

Twine definitely wants to come here, LM definitely wants Twine to come here.  The sticking point is an agreement between the clubs.  So, whether it will happen or not is anyone's guess but if you want to show intent and back the manager then you have to make it happen.  City's mistake, of course, is to make it blindingly obvious how much we want him thus weakening our bargaining position.  Naive.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2

On 09/07/2024 at 15:30, INCRED said:

currently we only have one new signing that will be available for the first few games and the uncertainty of what is happening with TC 

Sorry, Im probably reading this wrong, but, are you saying that out of the 4(?) signings we have made, only 1 is fit enough to play come Coventry or Hull? What have I missed surely not pulled a hamstring climbing on't roof!

58 minutes ago, cheese said:

Twine definitely wants to come here, LM definitely wants Twine to come here.  The sticking point is an agreement between the clubs.  So, whether it will happen or not is anyone's guess but if you want to show intent and back the manager then you have to make it happen.  City's mistake, of course, is to make it blindingly obvious how much we want him thus weakening our bargaining position.  Naive.

Why don’t city in general just go for it. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Sorry, Im probably reading this wrong, but, are you saying that out of the 4(?) signings we have made, only 1 is fit enough to play come Coventry or Hull? What have I missed surely not pulled a hamstring climbing on't roof!

I think he's referring to the fact that out of the 2 signings we've made since the transfer window opened, one of them will be representing his country at the Olympics.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The golden question, Ive got my conspiracy theories, but for me the question runs deeper and would more be:

Why is someone who has become a Billionaire working in Finance so inept at running a football club, he has had over 20 something years of if it, and if his tenure ended tomorrow, would be summed up by one word: FAILURE!

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

I think he's referring to the fact that out of the 2 signings we've made since the transfer window opened, one of them will be representing his country at the Olympics.

Thanks, didnt know that.

Any bets that he gets injured and as he is on loan we never see him play, come on this is Bristol City!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

We are still tight with money because of the last time we went for it, and had 8 million pound defender and a 5 million pound striker plus numerous multi million pound players leave on free transfers,, we are snake bit,,,, we dont have the ability or luck to spend money and get it right.

6 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

We have signed 2 players this window, one is representing Japan at the olympics so doubt he will be available for the Hull game 

8 minutes ago, INCRED said:

We have signed 2 players this window, one is representing Japan at the olympics so doubt he will be available for the Hull game 

Surely Max Bird is a new player as is Stokes as is Murphy, they seem to be all available.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cidercity said:

Surely Max Bird is a new player as is Stokes as is Murphy, they seem to be all available.

They were signed in the previous window mate.

Yes you could class them as new players but they have been City players since Jan and the poster did say new players this window

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, westonred said:

Yes you could class them as new players but they have been City players since Jan and the poster did say new players this window

Fair enough i didn't see "This Window"

Still applies they are 3 new players that haven't played for us yet.

20 minutes ago, westonred said:

I’d argue Bird is new, not the other two.

4 weeks tomorrow until our first league game, I can’t believe we honestly expected to only have half of our new signings on board by now.

Seems we are holding out on getting Twine, whatever form that deal takes, but the value of going to Portugal is clearly diminished if several new signings didn’t go.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, westonred said:

Summer signings really. 

I said when we first signed Twine on loan if we didn't end up buying him on a perm it's a complete waste of money and the sort of signing we should be moving away from. We weren't going up or down so his loan fee/wages could have been utilised now instead, ironically maybe, on getting him on a perm...

As soon as it was announced there wasn't an option in the loan deal the price was always going to go up not down if we wanted him and if we didn't want to pay the price in January what exactly did we think would happen?

Club either needs to bite the bullet and pay what's being asked or progress another deal ASAP! I've said before, it's not easy running a football club but we're currently doing it so publicly it's amateur and embarrassing 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Do we know how Atkinson and Benerous are coming along, are either likely to be ready to play straight away? 

There both seen in the videos training over in Portugal

4 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Do we know how Atkinson and Benerous are coming along, are either likely to be ready to play straight away? 

I know Atkinson is feeling very fit and raring to go. Ironically his hamstring going may have given him more recovery time from the ACL op and allowed it to really settle. 

I think if anything Benarous needs to steady down a bit, perhaps trying to make up for lost time, or to prove to himself he's fully back.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, westonred said:

The lads we brought in Jan plus the two lads (so far) this window, then long term absents  Benarous Atkinson Naismith back it'll be like a new team

Spot on. It’s why I’m cautiously optimistic we’ll be in or the closest to the playoffs we’ve been since 2008

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

21 minutes ago, westonred said:

The lads we brought in Jan plus the two lads (so far) this window, then long term absents  Benarous Atkinson Naismith back it'll be like a new team

I'm unsure that Naismith or Benarous will be available to Manning initially??

22 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I said when we first signed Twine on loan if we didn't end up buying him on a perm it's a complete waste of money and the sort of signing we should be moving away from. We weren't going up or down so his loan fee/wages could have been utilised now instead, ironically maybe, on getting him on a perm...

As soon as it was announced there wasn't an option in the loan deal the price was always going to go up not down if we wanted him and if we didn't want to pay the price in January what exactly did we think would happen?

Club either needs to bite the bullet and pay what's being asked or progress another deal ASAP! I've said before, it's not easy running a football club but we're currently doing it so publicly it's amateur and embarrassing 

I'm sure Jon & Co have learned from previous lessons & have moved on to other targets....🙂

30 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Spot on, and I was very vocal to the same point. At the time of signing Twine, it was clear we weren’t going up or down barring something insane happening, so the signing was a “move you from 12th to 11th” one and pointless without the option. I remember some posters stating the signing made sense if it helped the team adapt to Mannings methods, but the only way that makes sense is if Twine is interchangeable - which it appears he isn’t.

The exact phrase I used when he signed was “the best outcome is an underwhelming loan spell” as that should have kept the price down. Our flirting with him like it’s 5am and we’re desparate has totally negated that.

• Like 2

Until I see Mayulu, and Bird in particular in preseason, I won’t know whether we look better this coming season or not.  Not gonna see Hirakawa are we?

Atkinson coming back improves depth to Dickie and Vyner which is a good thing.  At some point I’d like to see Dickie and Atkinson crashing the keeper on set-pieces.  So if Naismith can get back fit too, we have four bonafide first-team CBs, plus the more versatile Roberts.

Competition for places / depth is a way we can improve a bit.  How much, who knows?

I’m still working on assumption that the 2 coming in are a no10-type and a no-9-type and Conway going out, so one more in net.

• Like 2
  • Robin 2

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until I see Mayulu, and Bird in particular in preseason, I won’t know whether we look better this coming season or not.  Not gonna see Hirakawa are we?

Atkinson coming back improves depth to Dickie and Vyner which is a good thing.  At some point I’d like to see Dickie and Atkinson crashing the keeper on set-pieces.  So if Naismith can get back fit too, we have four bonafide first-team CBs, plus the more versatile Roberts.

Competition for places / depth is a way we can improve a bit.  How much, who knows?

I’m still working on assumption that the 2 coming in are a no10-type and a no-9-type and Conway going out, so one more in net.

I think Roberts is going to have a great season, ooozes class and will play in the PL 

• Like 7

The striker if Conway goes, I hope it is someone in prime or at least ready ate range of 24-28.

Conway at his age is a rare talent in some respects, two age 20-22, especially from overseas and adaptation- it is asking quite a lot, pressure from get-go as Wells at the other end of the age range.

3 hours ago, westonred said:

How first team ready are Murphy and Stokes though?

To some extent agree, Atkinson, Naismith and Benarous.. well the first has been our a year and a half, the last 2 years and he in particular who knows how his development has been impacted.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:
3 hours ago, westonred said:

How first team ready are Murphy and Stokes though?

I'd hope they aren't too far away. Both have played mens football. Albeit you could make the same argument about sph. The bits and pieces we've heard about Stokes suggest he's closer to the first team. Pre-season will give us more of an idea. 

10 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

I'd hope they aren't too far away. Both have played mens football. Albeit you could make the same argument about sph. The bits and pieces we've heard about Stokes suggest he's closer to the first team. Pre-season will give us more of an idea. 

Come on! 5th tier and League of Ireland is a bit of a chasm! Mind you the Championship may not be as a strong this season by some metrics.

Strong optimism bias about the leap in one go here IMO, but I'll hope for the best as per.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I know Atkinson is feeling very fit and raring to go. Ironically his hamstring going may have given him more recovery time from the ACL op and allowed it to really settle. 

I think if anything Benarous needs to steady down a bit, perhaps trying to make up for lost time, or to prove to himself he's fully back.

It’s been so long since he last played I completely forgot about Naismith, any idea whether he’s ready to start yet? 

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think Roberts is going to have a great season, ooozes class and will play in the PL 

If he can get in the team! Pring starts at Left Back in a 4, surely, and are we really going to switch to 3 CBs? If we do, he's got Atkinson and Naismith as competition.

Agree he looks a talented lad though.

Just not quite sure what goes on between his ears as he strikes me as a little diffident.  

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If he can get in the team! Pring starts at Left Back in a 4, surely, and are we really going to switch to 3 CBs? If we do, he's got Atkinson and Naismith as competition.

Just not quite sure what goes on between his ears as he strikes me as a little diffident.  

I was wondering whether Roberts could play alongside Bird if we played 4 2 3 1? 

Two footed, good passer can get forward and defend.

1 hour ago, Ashtongreight said:

It’s been so long since he last played I completely forgot about Naismith, any idea whether he’s ready to start yet? 

I think I saw he is back in training. I think he's been written off a little in terms of quality. If all fit, I don't think there's too much at all between Vyner, Dickie, Atkinson and Naismith as centre-back options, and I mean that from the perspective of someone who voted for Dickie as last year's player of the season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Wouldn’t suprise me to see the club try and shift pring on in next 6-12 months and Roberts be first choice left wing back 5 years younger and more than capable in being up to standard. 

any transfer on Pring is 100% profit

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I was wondering whether Roberts could play alongside Bird if we played 4 2 3 1? 

Two footed, good passer can get forward and defend.

It seems daft that a lad as good as Roberts might not get in our starting X1.

Can't believe he'll be happy being a sub but it's the sort of strength in depth we need, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Wouldn’t suprise me to see the club try and shift pring on in next 6-12 months and Roberts be first choice left wing back 5 years younger and more than capable in being up to standard. 

Especially if Elijah Morrison proves to be good enough. 

I accept I possibly just need to be patient but the Twine situation is starting to worry me a little - especially as, by definition, the amount we spend on a number 10 directly influences what we have to spend on a second forward signing.

I could be worrying over nothing but it feels like it could be turning into a Nketiah situation where we're pursuing the unlikely and risking better value for money signings disappearing from the market. 

2 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

The only caveat I'd put on that is Pring and Roberts are quite different players. I feel Roberts is more suited as an inverted wing back who moves up to midfield rather than a conventional wing back who marauds down the wing and a switch to Roberts as first choice might mean tweaking the system. Which is fine if that's what we plan to do but it could be we play a back three and Pring continues whilst Roberts makes LCB his own. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Can't believe he'll be happy being a sub but it's the sort of strength in depth we need, I guess. 

He won't be happy! He said so last season. But he'll stay, and work to win and keep his place. Which he did last season. Good attitude.

But, yes, agree that it's the sort of strength in depth that we need going forward. A good place to be in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Why.

You need that variety, that depth- you need to hold onto your best players especially when FFP has caused big sacrifices .

Is he (Roberts) a wingback? With such options too the back 3/back 4 switching becomes easier.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why.

You need that variety, that depth- you need to hold onto your best players especially when FFP has caused big sacrifices .

Is he (Roberts) a wingback? With such options too the back 3/back 4 switching becomes easier.

I see Roberts as a very good CB but not a LB/LWB, even as backup. I think we need an understudy to Pring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Come on! 5th tier and League of Ireland is a bit of a chasm! Mind you the Championship may not be as a strong this season by some metrics.

Strong optimism bias about the leap in one go here IMO, but I'll hope for the best as per.

I don’t think we should rely on them but think it is fair to be optimistic on them both. Two of the most promising youngsters from their leagues. Plenty of examples from both leagues of players making the jump up. Plenty of examples of players not making it too. I just don’t think it is worth mentioning the league they came from.

Players get missed all the time. Players develop differently. They are two young exciting players that need to stake their claim to contribute. It isn’t even a disaster if they don’t this season. We can be hopeful I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bcfcape91 said:

I see Roberts as a very good CB but not a LB/LWB, even as backup. I think we need an understudy to Pring.

Idk I think he could be fine at LB but agree about lwb. He’s better for the LB position than Magnússon I think and we had a hell of a season with him at LB. Just depends on the setup. However, he is an excellent CB and I would prefer him there too

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thing is, we have had posters on here all summer saying that we need to add more defenders when for me, if we picked a back four, Roberts, McCrorie, Atkinson & Naismith all wouldn’t get in & if we go to a back 3 with wing backs, Tanner & the latter two wouldn’t.

We have enough depth defensively, then in midfield we have 4 in the shape of Knight, Williams, Bird & TGH who are competing for a maximum of 3 spots (realistically probably two).

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious it is further forward you start to ask questions though until Conway leaves you can argue him, Wells, Mayulu, Bell (apparently being used up top in Portugal) & Cornick is decent enough depth & variety.

Still reckon Twine will be here before the month is out, but absolutely no idea how the Conway situation & the possibility of a further forward coming in will turn out though.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think we should rely on them but think it is fair to be optimistic on them both. Two of the most promising youngsters from their leagues. Plenty of examples from both leagues of players making the jump up. Plenty of examples of players not making it too. I just don’t think it is worth mentioning the league they came from.

Players get missed all the time. Players develop differently. They are two young exciting players that need to stake their claim to contribute. It isn’t even a disaster if they don’t this season. We can be hopeful I think

Medium term and beyond I don't doubt they are, should be good signings, just this season I'm not expecting big things.

It is a question of balance, how the squad is constructed as much as individuals for me.

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Medium term and beyond I don't doubt they are, should be good signings, just this season I'm not expecting big things.

It is a question of balance, how the squad is constructed as much as individuals for me.

At the minute, I’d say they have every chance to contribute. I’d like to see them get chances early. If not ready yet we can decide maybe later in the window. And when I say chances, I mean pre season, off the bench first few games and maybe a cup game. 

For me, we know what we have in Anis, Bell and Sykes. New Japanese guy won’t be ready until later in August anyway. Let’s see what these two have because with the other 3 we know. Ok contributors at this level but probably not meaningful starting players for a team with ambition. 

My look in it anyway. I have long thought we don’t do transfers correctly. Maybe these are bad examples because they are probably considered more medium to long term transfers but always felt we tried to “settle” players in too much. Teams like Brentford I thought gave games to new signings and a lot hit the ground running. Some didn’t but they were given opportunity(in my view from afar). I’d at least give them plenty of minutes in preseason

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

At the minute, I’d say they have every chance to contribute. I’d like to see them get chances early. If not ready yet we can decide maybe later in the window. And when I say chances, I mean pre season, off the bench first few games and maybe a cup game. 

For me, we know what we have in Anis, Bell and Sykes. New Japanese guy won’t be ready until later in August anyway. Let’s see what these two have because with the other 3 we know. Ok contributors at this level but probably not meaningful starting players for a team with ambition. 

My look in it anyway. I have long thought we don’t do transfers correctly. Maybe these are bad examples because they are probably considered more medium to long term transfers but always felt we tried to “settle” players in too much. Teams like Brentford I thought gave games to new signings and a lot hit the ground running. Some didn’t but they were given opportunity(in my view from afar). I’d at least give them plenty of minutes in preseason

Pre-season and an early Cup game could be an opportunity, I am not sure for right now but I would like to be proven wring and for as many to settle and hit the ground running ASAP.

Can depend on the age and profile of player with Brentford as far as I recall. They have Brentford B of course and cor some time shelved their Academy. Players like thinking back now, Norgaard, Jensen, wjoeebe they are signed first team ready from European Leagues at decent age. Less sure on some the forwards Toney aside- younger srill may go into Brentford B.

Otoh Hickey clearly first team ready flourishing in Serie A as he presumably did even though early 20s or 20 goes right in. Wissa first team ready again.

Something tells me that we wouldn't have seen them flourish here as much or as quickly. More like the midfielders I mean, forwards harder to say but I do wonder why some of these weren't on our list. Brentford have and had a fairly consistent philosophy running through the club through since at minimum Warburton left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The striker if Conway goes, I hope it is someone in prime or at least ready ate range of 24-28.

Conway at his age is a rare talent in some respects, two age 20-22, especially from overseas and adaptation- it is asking quite a lot, pressure from get-go as Wells at the other end of the age range.

Why restrict by age range for example?

Kanu and Kluivert were fine at a young age for example.  It’s about getting the right player.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Why restrict by age range for example?

Kanu and Kluivert were fine at a young age for example.  It’s about getting the right player.

That is true, I'm a little risk averse tbh, just think two of the early 20s..could pay off medium term and beyond but could fear a slow start.

What concerns me about the transfer window so far is how does the recruitment we are doing fitting into a system we have played.

Are we playing 4-2-3-1 with wingers, if so, then Yu fits into that system with 2 wide men but when we played that it really wasn't wingers.

Are we staying with the 3-4-2-1 system that worked well, if so. where does You and indeed Sam Bell fit into that system.

Im just a little puzzled to see a clear plan for next season re recruitment, signings and an obvious system we are working towards.

Most likely I am wrong and the management team is totally alined.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, M.D said:

What concerns me about the transfer window so far is how does the recruitment we are doing fitting into a system we have played.

Are we playing 4-2-3-1 with wingers, if so, then Yu fits into that system with 2 wide men but when we played that it really wasn't wingers.

Are we staying with the 3-4-2-1 system that worked well, if so. where does You and indeed Sam Bell fit into that system.

Im just a little puzzled to see a clear plan for next season re recruitment, signings and an obvious system we are working towards.

Most likely I am wrong and the management team is totally alined.

The only constants I’m a LM side so far are - 1 centre forward / 2 central midfielders.

The other 7 outfield positions / roles he doesn’t seem to fussed by, ie he’ll use them flexibility.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only constants I’m a LM side so far are - 1 centre forward / 2 central midfielders.

The other 7 outfield positions / roles he doesn’t seem to fussed by, ie he’ll use them flexibility.

The three things I keep coming back to are, it's a 16 man game on match days, it's a long season of at least 48 games (hopefully more) and injuries have eaten into our cover before. 

If, as the Uncut sessions suggest, he wants an energetic high pressing team, he's going to need every one of the options he has and probably more.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The three things I keep coming back to are, it's a 16 man game on match days, it's a long season of at least 48 games (hopefully more) and injuries have eaten into our cover before. 

If, as the Uncut sessions suggest, he wants an energetic high pressing team, he's going to need every one of the options he has and probably more.

I don’t do “best eleven” type stuff as you know. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes... definitely more, as I'm sure hammy hamstring will rear his ugly head.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Find it silly to write off certain players just cause we’ve already seen them play, especially at the ages on some. Both Mehmeti and Bell can easily turn into crucial first team players, not saying they definitely will but can. 

All some players need is a good pre-season and a good start to flourish. Look at Dickies season at qpr before he joined us compared to last year. 

Although we do still need some more current quality we have a perfectly capable squad with the youth to reach higher levels imo. 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joshbristol said:

Still believe twine will sign for city 

Agreed. Always gunna happen, just have to be patient for everything to fall into place. Might be permanent or might be another loan, but almost certain he will be back.

2 hours ago, George Rs said:

Find it silly to write off certain players just cause we’ve already seen them play, especially at the ages on some. Both Mehmeti and Bell can easily turn into crucial first team players, not saying they definitely will but can. 

All some players need is a good pre-season and a good start to flourish. Look at Dickies season at qpr before he joined us compared to last year. 

Although we do still need some more current quality we have a perfectly capable squad with the youth to reach higher levels imo. 

It isn’t writing them off. It is being realistic. Think the odds are against them being star players at this level which is what we need starting the majority of matches. Again, part of a good squad? Sure. You can rely on all 3 of them to contribute. If 2 of the 3 are regular starters, then I think we’ll be looking at a finish in the double digits again. There isn’t enough goal threat or creativity from any of them and that’s with me being quite a big fan of Mehmeti and Sykes. 

• Like 1

Sykes is at this time out of e.g. him, Mehmeti and Bell the one who can deliver consistent numbers if we play a shape that plays him in the optimum position.

He is not a wingback, he is not a fullback, he us not a left sided player either- he can do a job there and perform respectably but it wastes him, the output he can bring.

In the Calendar Year period from Birmingham Home January 2023 to Birmingham Away end of 2023 played high on the right.. 

10 Goals, 2 Assists 41 Games. Plus a Goal v Swansea and Assist vs WBA in the Cup.

He is wasted on the left, at Wingback, fullback etc.

Hard working plus him and Tanner complement each other on the right side. Tanner-Sykes

• Like 1

Haydon Roberts is currently first choice centre back and a very good one in my opinion. He can play LB or LWB but CB is his preferred position. Its up to the other defenders to step up.

I really can't understand why a lot of people on here don't even give him the consideration he deserves. He's technically very good & reads the game very well.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, Swede said:

Haydon Roberts is currently first choice centre back and a very good one in my opinion. He can play LB or LWB but CB is his preferred position. Its up to the other defenders to step up.

I really can't understand why a lot of people on here don't even give him the consideration he deserves. He's technically very good & reads the game very well.

Agreed.

But are we playing a back 4 or 3(5)?

No-one knows.

So let's what and see.

Back 4 - Dickie and Vyner are ahead of him.

Back 3(5) - yeah, you'd pick him but we'd be just as strong - in different ways - with Atkinson or Naismith at LCB, so he's not a nailed on starter in that position.

And he doesn't get in ahead of Pring in either formation - for me. So what gives?

One thing though - he's a good footballer!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Has everyone forgot how dire Naismith was at CB?

My god the bloke was a liability

Another who has got better the more games he's missed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Agreed Naismith is certainly behind Dickie,Vyner, Roberts & Atkinson, plus if we are playing a 3 would rather see Tanner starting than Naismith. wouldn’t be against seeing Naismith moved on . 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

You missed the words "in his early games". He improved a lot.

• Like 4