IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

34 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

You missed the words "in his early games". He improved a lot.

Naismith didn’t get off to a great start with a couple of schoolboy errors in his early City games but put them behind him and showed what a decent CB he is.

It’ll be interesting to see where he’ll fit in to Mannings plans when available.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Naismith didn’t get off to a great start with a couple of schoolboy errors in his early City games but put them behind him and showed what a decent CB he is.

It’ll be interesting to see where he’ll fit in to Mannings plans when available.

If he stays fit I can see him being key to us being a successful team this season whether that’s starting or coming on chasing a game and his passing ability

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he never

He proved to be half decent in midfield, a liability at CB 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Ashton Fete said:

If he stays fit I can see him being key to us being a successful team this season whether that’s starting or coming on chasing a game and his passing ability

If he gets any time over the other centre backs it will be because we have serious injuries or suspensions.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If he gets any time over the other centre backs it will be because we have serious injuries or suspensions.

Yep, realistically 5th choice.

Experienced head around the club, I too prefer him in midfield not just for the mistakes but also he’s pretty creative too, excellent passing but we’ve just not seen the best of him & doubt we will. Great experienced head to bring on to see out a game, almost like a utility player in some ways as he has played forward for other clubs too. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agreed.

But are we playing a back 4 or 3(5)?

No-one knows.

So let's what and see.

Back 4 - Dickie and Vyner are ahead of him.

Back 3(5) - yeah, you'd pick him but we'd be just as strong - in different ways - with Atkinson or Naismith at LCB, so he's not a nailed on starter in that position.

And he doesn't get in ahead of Pring in either formation - for me. So what gives?

One thing though - he's a good footballer!

Actually its Dickie and Roberts. Both intelligent, ball playing central defenders. Its up to Atkinson, Vyner & Naismith ( if that's his preferred position as the coach sees it) to get to those levels and maintain them.

If I was Roberts,  I would be pretty disappointed if I wasn't first choice going in to the first match.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, frenchred said:

No he never

Naismiths best attribute was bringing the ball out of defence & initiating the play, we were lost when he first got injured. Despite the defensive errors we played better with him in the team.

Dickie & Vyner have this more than covered now & the team has moved on while he was injured again.

So regardless of Naismiths ability on the ball I think he is probably surplus & most likely see him go somewhere like Pompey on loan.

• Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Naismiths best attribute was bringing the ball out of defence & initiating the play, we were lost when he first got injured. Despite the defensive errors we played better with him in the team.

Dickie & Vyner have this more than covered now & the team has moved on while he was injured again.

So regardless of Naismiths ability on the ball I think he is probably surplus & most likely see him go somewhere like Pompey on loan.

Naismith is a very good player, great option to have and has experience of success at this level. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Swede said:

Haydon Roberts is currently first choice centre back and a very good one in my opinion. He can play LB or LWB but CB is his preferred position. Its up to the other defenders to step up.

I really can't understand why a lot of people on here don't even give him the consideration he deserves. He's technically very good & reads the game very well.

Well said. He’s been fantastic at LCB. 

This is why we should be in the market for a cheap cover LB. Pring can’t be our only LB all season and we need Roberts central.

• Like 2

My only fear is that the pursuit of Twine doesn’t turn into the Gayle / Gray saga when Cotts time at City. 
Hopefully we have learnt lessons from then and know when to walk away. I know there are different people at the club now 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 0606 said:

Why by a cheap back up when we already have a number of youth players - out with the first team in Portugal - who can play there.

If they’re ready, great. Course I’d rather go in house than spend. But if they’re undercooked and not a realistic squad option, I’d look to L1 or L2 for a steady Eddie.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

My only fear is that the pursuit of Twine doesn’t turn into the Gayle / Gray saga when Cotts time at City. 
Hopefully we have learnt lessons from then and know when to walk away. I know there are different people at the club now 

Those 2 were in the bag until sl tried to be clever and changed the deals last minute.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 0606 said:

Why by a cheap back up when we already have a number of youth players - out with the first team in Portugal - who can play there.

Firstly I don’t think we should be buying any “back-ups”.  We either “look first” into Academy, or we bring in as good as / better or we bring in someone who has potential to be better - that was Roberts last summer.

FWIW I think Morrison might get a few mins here and there but I don’t think he’s a realistic cover for Pring.  I see Roberts as that, even if he might be better centrally…personally I think he’s capable in either position.

Taine Anderson further back in the pecking order, but I do like his game.  He’s 6 months older than Morrison though.  He really needs to kick on…and make his mark in u21s this season, and see what happens from there.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Surely after a week in charge Parker must know if he wants Twine or prepared to let him move on.

I'd like us to move on to another target.  Don't think Twine is as good as everyone makes out

Maybe not but it is who LM wants which is what matters surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

If only he was as good as Gayle or Gray…….Nowhere near their level unfortunately.   Completely agree with your point though, I guess it’s just now dependent upon Parker and whether he wants to keep him or not.   Guessing it will be sorted next week one way or another.  If we don’t get him by then we need to move on imho. We won’t though! 

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

If only he was as good as Gayle or Gray…….Nowhere near their level unfortunately.   Completely agree with your point though, I guess it’s just now dependent upon Parker and whether he wants to keep him or not.   Guessing it will be sorted next week one way or another.  If we don’t get him by then we need to move on imho. We won’t though! 

As it stands, I think Burnley see Twine as a member of their first team squad, they don’t have a big squad.  They know he’s capable at this level and although he might not be a star like Benson or Koleoshu is, you do need a squad.  Burnley’s stance will be quite simple - if you want him, stump up a fee that’s agreeable to them, that hasn’t changed.  If we do, they’ll go out and buy a replacement.  I get the impression that Tinnion thinks Burnley will buckle.  He’s had enough conversations and put enough options to them, to know that won’t be the case.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As it stands, I think Burnley see Twine as a member of their first team squad, they don’t have a big squad.  They know he’s capable at this level and although he might not be a star like Benson or Koleoshu is, you do need a squad.  Burnley’s stance will be quite simple - if you want him, stump up a fee that’s agreeable to them, that hasn’t changed.  If we do, they’ll go out and buy a replacement.  I get the impression that Tinnion thinks Burnley will buckle.  He’s had enough conversations and put enough options to them, to know that won’t be the case.

They might need him right now, but sooner or later they will sign new players and he will be surplus to requirements. They aren't going to let him go until they get new players in. Still think we'll get him, but might have to be patient and wait till the time is right. Have no doubt he is still our no.1 target.

As we understand it Twine would be happy to come here but whether he truly wants away from Burnley I'm not sure. I'm sure he's too professional to deliberately fail to impress Parker. As Burnley have let Jack Cork go there is a space in their squad for him to play a role. As I've previously said, while Manning wants him I'm ambivalent to his signature. I just hope we sign him or move on soon and that it doesn't drag on another month. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

As we understand it Twine would be happy to come here but whether he truly wants away from Burnley I'm not sure. I'm sure he's too professional to deliberately fail to impress Parker. As Burnley have let Jack Cork go there is a space in their squad for him to play a role. 

I would assume he wouldn't get the same wages here as he was at a Prem club? If Burnley decide they are happy to keep him, I guess there could be a relegation clause that cuts his wages but would imagine he'd still be better off financially staying there. Depends then on his priorities.

• Like 1

I’d be pretty comfortable with Naismith backing up Pring. Different players for sure as Kal wouldn’t bomb forward. I don’t think he is slow either but lose a bit of recovery speed too. Idk how he’d fair in 1v1s with some tricky wingers but he works hard enough I think he’d figure it out. 

In possession you could easily argue he’d be better than Pring. His crossing is much better and he’d be able to pick a pass better if he ends up centrally. Also as there is no Twine yet, his set pieces would be an asset. Anyway, I think we are ok at LB or LWB even if Roberts is a full time CB. Injuries aside, Naismith is a very good and versatile option for a championship club. 

Edited by JoeAman08

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was reading their local rag. They seem to have a large squad. That needs thinning out. Plus looking to add his own players. I reckon Twine will leave. To Bristol City who knows 

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/weve-got-a-lot-of-numbers-scott-parker-on-transfer-backing-and-burnleys-big-squad-4696631

Edited by Red Army 75

9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I was reading their local rag. They seem to have a large squad. That needs thinning out. Plus looking to add his own players. I reckon Twine will leave. To Bristol City who knows 

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/football/weve-got-a-lot-of-numbers-scott-parker-on-transfer-backing-and-burnleys-big-squad-4696631

Yeah, that contains returning loanees like Weghorst, who’ll likely go back out the door, as well as youngsters like Dodgson and Mellon who will likely be looking for new loans.  It won’t look like 38 once the initial lifting and shifting is done.

12 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

38 first team players……wow!!!

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Those 2 were in the bag until sl tried to be clever and changed the deals last minute.

My recollection, perhaps erroneous, is that it was Harry McGuire who was ‘in the bag’ until City (not SL either) ‘tried to be clever’.

Gray might have been close, but I am not sure that Gayle ever was; in fact, I seem to recall that Gayle himself was never remotely interested.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My recollection, perhaps erroneous, is that it was Harry McGuire who was ‘in the bag’ until City (not SL either) ‘tried to be clever’.

Gray might have been close, but I am not sure that Gayle ever was; in fact, I seem to recall that Gayle himself was never remotely interested.

Gray and Maguire were sorted before Cotts and Burt went on holiday, only for Pelling to interfere and lose both deals.

As you say with Gayle the fee was agreed, but he wasn’t interested.  He did give us the courtesy of at least coming down to speak to us.

Im guessing if Gray had been signed, with Kodjia onboard we wouldn’t have bothered with Gayle too.

I can only imagine Kodjia and Gray together.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yeah you’re right’ gray as well’ we tried to be clever’ spot on about gray .

My small dissenting point I always make when this comes up, is what were the deals again in terms of fee, wage and contract length and would we have had enough to get the correct depth under the £13m plus Allowables one year loss rule had we signed both.

There was an outstanding base but we had not fully completed the redevelopment yet, which restricted our income to an extent and given injuries over a long season..although I don't think we had quite so many in that era.

Then again signing those 2 may have meant a happier Cotts, a happier club- no January sacking (cost), no hiring LJ (cost), less loanees under Cotts and under LJ.

In other words had it been totally accounted for cost wise and balancing rules yeah all criticism to the club, if it was a greater area it was a greyer area.

5 hours ago, frenchred said:

No he never

Agree. He takes too many risks to be part of a flat back 4. However he's great sat in front of a CB pairing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Gray and Maguire were sorted before Cotts and Burt went on holiday, only for Pelling to interfere and lose both deals.

As you say with Gayle the fee was agreed, but he wasn’t interested.  He did give us the courtesy of at least coming down to speak to us.

Im guessing if Gray had been signed, with Kodjia onboard we wouldn’t have bothered with Gayle too.

I can only imagine Kodjia and Gray together.

Who told pelling to interfere 😳

Edited by Glen hump
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Maybe not but it is who LM wants which is what matters surely.

Yes and no.

If it’s who Manning wants then he should be first choice target. Which he has been. But, if we have a maximum we are prepared to pay and Burnley want more than that and are showing no sign of dropping their price, there comes a point where we have to accept a deal is not going to get done and move on to other targets.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Weren’t we close to lingard too?  Believe he came down was at the training ground, fee agreed with Utd, only for fergie to ring lingard and begged him to change his mind at the last minute. 

Not heard that 1 before.

We were linked but I am again a little bit questioning as to how in the context of our revenue vs try rules at that time.

Found the link, was Nixon who said we were offering £20,000 a week and a £2.5m fee.

This was certainly post the Maguire and Gray which were much earlier in the summer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Weren’t we close to lingard too?  Believe he came down was at the training ground, fee agreed with Utd, only for fergie to ring lingard and begged him to change his mind at the last minute. 

Don't think it got as far as getting him in the building. Talks were at an advanced stage though. And Fergie doesn't beg. What he says goes. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had a poster who explained it on here a while back. There is or was a thread I think.

It was me ‘ the solicitor who used to work for us told me ‘ and I believe him 100 pc 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 0606 said:

I don’t know anything about Maguire - Gray/Gayle situation more similar than your post infers.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We had a poster who explained it on here a while back. There is or was a thread I think.

Yes the numbers were something like:

Gray £4m and Maguire £2.5m

or

Gray £4.5m and Maguire £2m

(can’t remember which way around it was)

Gray was £14k pw wages

Maguire I can’t remember, circa £10k pw wages

Then Pelling intervened, trying to do the deals cheaper.

Brentford said - we have other clubs (Burnley) interested if you’re gonna try and do a different deal.

Hull said - if you’re gonna piss about, then Maguire is now £4m.  Deal off.

As the summer wore on we tried and tried for Gray, but with both clubs agreeing a higher £6m and the wages now £18k, Gray opted for Burnley after scoring against us in the opening home game of the season (Freeman sent off).  And then scored for Burnley against us too!

Hedging our bets on that we tried to get Gayle in parallel (as per previous post:

+++++

@Mr Popodopolous re FFP, I dread to think how much we spent on loans instead…Baker, Hamer, L.Moore (for Maguire), Robinson, Cox, Bennett (to replace Fredericks), then O’Donnell, Tomlin, Pearce, Odemwingie, Gladwin, etc.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would we have signed Kodjia and Gray I wonder or would it have been "Maguire is a new CB, Gray is our new lead striker, onto other positions we go".

Yes, bearing in mind we’d signed Kodjia and still chased Gray and Gayle.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would we have signed Kodjia and Gray I wonder or would it have been "Maguire is a new CB, Gray is our new lead striker, onto other positions we go".

Kodjia and gray would’ve been a right handful for any defence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I would assume he wouldn't get the same wages here as he was at a Prem club? If Burnley decide they are happy to keep him, I guess there could be a relegation clause that cuts his wages but would imagine he'd still be better off financially staying there. Depends then on his priorities.

I think you're likely right on his wages, even with a relegation clause. However, I don't know how long he has on his Burnley contract. 1 more year at a higher wage as against the certainty of a three year contract at a lower one? 

Just thinking hypothetically at this juncture..I may not have got the positions quite right but anyway 

Fielding, O'Leary

Little, Fredericks

Ayling, Flint, Maguire, Williams

Bryan

Freeman

Smith, Pack, Reid

Wagstaff

Gray,Kodjia, Wilbraham, Agard, Burns

How many more needed? Fredericks subsequently came and went when El-Abd deemed surplus.

True @Davefevs there is that too, and a good chunk would've been unnecessary plus the change of manager of course.

Those 2 and Kodjia certainly could've been done yeah.

4 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Kodjia and gray would’ve been a right handful for any defence.

Yeah totally agree.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yes the numbers were something like:

Gray £4m and Maguire £2.5m

or

Gray £4.5m and Maguire £2m

(can’t remember which way around it was)

Gray was £14k pw wages

Maguire I can’t remember, circa £10k pw wages

Then Pelling intervened, trying to do the deals cheaper.

Brentford said - we have other clubs (Burnley) interested if you’re gonna try and do a different deal.

Hull said - if you’re gonna piss about, then Maguire is now £4m.  Deal off.

As the summer wore on we tried and tried for Gray, but with both clubs agreeing a higher £6m and the wages now £18k, Gray opted for Burnley after scoring against us in the opening home game of the season (Freeman sent off).  And then scored for Burnley against us too!

Hedging our bets on that we tried to get Gayle in parallel (as per previous post:

+++++

@Mr Popodopolous re FFP, I dread to think how much we spent on loans instead…Baker, Hamer, L.Moore (for Maguire), Robinson, Cox, Bennett (to replace Fredericks), then O’Donnell, Tomlin, Pearce, Odemwingie, Gladwin, etc.

Who's Pelling? Can't remember him fevs. R u sure it wasn't Sir Steve? He does like to meddle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAWS said:

Who's Pelling? Can't remember him fevs. R u sure it wasn't Sir Steve? He does like to meddle 

John Pelling was the Chief Exec…undoubtedly Lansdown asked him to meddle, was relieved of his duties on 18th Sept of that first season back - SL’s scapegoat.

And SL then lined up the return of Mark Ashton!!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Don't think it got as far as getting him in the building. Talks were at an advanced stage though. And Fergie doesn't beg. What he says goes. 

It’s in lingards autobiography,  he says he was at at a championships club training ground about to sign when fergie rang and persuaded him to change his mind.

• Thanks 1

Just intrigued and undecided, but also open-minded as to the levels of remaining headroom had Maguire, Gray and Kodjia gone through on the terms they did. I can't fully make up my mind...I reckon it could have been done but unsure how much left over if so.

Or maybe it could've been done with a few million to go back into the side on top..I've run the calculations a few different ways.

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just intrigued and undecided, but also open-minded as to the levels of remaining headroom had Maguire, Gray and Kodjia gone through on the terms they did. I can't fully make up my mind...I reckon it could have been done but unsure how much left over if so.

Or maybe it could've been done with a few million to go back into the side on top..I've run the calculations a few different ways.

One things for sure we ballsed up big time that season 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gray + Maguire = £6.5m / 4 years = £1.625m pa

Wages = £1.250m pa

So just under £3m cost in year 1

Add most of the costs of those loans.  How much do you think Tomlin cost to loan?  Odemwingie? Baker?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Gray + Maguire = £6.5m / 4 years = £1.625m pa

Wages = £1.250m pa

So just under £3m cost in year 1

Add most of the costs of those loans.  How much do you think Tomlin cost to loan?  Odemwingie? Baker?

Helpfully they put a Loss before Transfer figure before the actual but I misinterpreted it tbh. Yeah I reckon it could have been done with a decent amount left over.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

We did.

Great base to build on, acrimony- justified discontent by Cotts and gone by mid January- terrible waste.

Yep ‘ another sl master plan’ he never knows when he’s on to a good thing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

John Pelling was the Chief Exec…undoubtedly Lansdown asked him to meddle, was relieved of his duties on 18th Sept of that first season back - SL’s scapegoat.

And SL then lined up the return of Mark Ashton!!!

Thanks Fevs. Mystery solved! 😁

5 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

I noticed twine didn't feature in 1 single photo on the burnley website of there pre season training and they uploaded over 50!

main gallery page 👀

image.thumb.png.229b41371228c9ed4a0a52464ad27124.png

(27 uploaded I think)

Edited by Davefevs

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Yep , we bought in a good manager who moulded a group of middling to good players into a formidable winning team. 

Did we ? :thumbsup:

Edited by bpexile