IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

15 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

people have there opinions about Mark Ashton but one thing he does he gets players signed and sold. he is getting Ipswich some good players. we appear to be very slow. might be wrong

One area Ipswich may struggle has been their reluctance to scout abroad, they’ve been very much fixated on the British market with only brief times looking abroad, when it comes to the PL there is obviously a bigger expense recruiting British based players then looking abroad. So will be a case of do they have the money to overhaul the squad like they need to given how many players they’ll need to recruit if they mostly just look domestically. 

• Like 1

Just now, fly in the air said:

bird was on deadline day. left it late

That’s probably not down to us though and Derby only accepting late on that they’ll need to sell in January for our offer of a bit more rather than taking comp in the summer. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

people have there opinions about Mark Ashton but one thing he does he gets players signed and sold. he is getting Ipswich some good players. we appear to be very slow. might be wrong

Of course he does, “skin in the game”!  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

I'm not sure pre-emptively signing players in January for this summer can be described as slow.

That was a very impressive one in Bird especially, perhaps I'm misjudging- we got ahead of the game there.

Murphy and Stokes strike me as a bit more medium term..that Bird decision was exactly what we need a bit more of.

Not saying rush headlong in, you need a balance but the Bird signing and avoiding it going to a scramble on a free yeah some credit there.

42 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No flies on Nixon, are there? Bloke's a genius.

For once, he’s right though, as he was about Birmingham’s interest.  If he’s gonna be right about anything, it’ll be about North West clubs.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For once, he’s right though, as he was about Birmingham’s interest.  If he’s gonna be right about anything, it’ll be about North West clubs.

I'm not knocking Alan Nixon but isn't it a bit self-evident? If someone had made the right offer, he'd surely be in negotiations with someone?

• Like 3

Nixon as far as I can see is particularly strong on the North West and has some accuracy on parts of the Midlands, Scotland.

Used to be strong on FFP stuff too regardless of Geography, not so much now- clearly had a good source at the League.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm not knocking Alan Nixon but isn't it a bit self-evident? If someone had made the right offer, he'd surely be in negotiations with someone?

Depends if the club wanted to sell him or not.

20 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could almost write that word for word about the NP end post Scott.

The two feel very similar really.

2008 - Gary Johnson not backed in Jan window with distinct possibility of automatic promotion.

2015 - Steve Cotterill not backed in summer window following most successful season in recent memory. 

2023 - Nigel Pearson not backed post-Scott sale when we were really ready to progress having sorted out the finances and in year 3 of the agreed plan. 

2024 - £1.5m (plus add ons) spent so far this summer with the realisation that we need to spend big(ger) to kick on for play-off ambitions. Conway also likely to leave.

What is the one constant in respect of the aforementioned?! 

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

2008 - Gary Johnson not backed in Jan window with distinct possibility of automatic promotion.

2015 - Steve Cotterill not backed in summer window following most successful season in recent memory. 

2023 - Nigel Pearson not backed post-Scott sale when we were really ready to progress having sorted out the finances and in year 3 of the agreed plan. 

2024 - £1.5m (plus add ons) spent so far this summer with the realisation that we need to spend big(ger) to kick on for play-off ambitions. Conway also likely to leave.

Totally agree although I am a little on the fence about our precise financial (FFP) position in summer 2015..I veer between bearish and bullish.

Summer 2023 yes totally!

I would also add as a wildcard, Janaury 2019- another depth central midfielder wouldn't have gone amiss given the injuries of Korey, the retirement of Hegeler and relative rawness of Morrell and Walsh. We had a fair whack of headroom.

I wonder, that may have as a positive knock-on through the team being able to play Weimann centrally more readily etc. A bit less strain on Brownhill and Pack as the only 2.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Agreed in the main, but must play out this window before final judgement because as has been said I do believe that we will bring in a No 10 ( Twine or otherwise) and a nine , probably while getting best possible deal for Conway.

Would be good if the nine was one of the couple suggested on here but we will see 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Lee Johnson was backed to a rediculous degree, we have spent fortunes but just cant get it right.

Maenpaa/Fielding

Hunt Kalas Webster DaSilva/Kelly

Pack A N Other

Brownhill Paterson Eliasson/O'Dowda

Weimann

Fluid. Takes a bit of the load off Pack and Brownhill, if O'Dowda he can go right, Paterson left and Brownhill centre, narrower if Eliasson..perhaps even Paterson in phases bursts through as a false 9 if Weimann and Eliasson temporarily pull a bit wider.

Diedhiou as a bit of a backup or alternative, maybe in tough away games to battle with Less possession but this feels like a Plan B my shape above...if only we had one more genuine CM.

That is intriguing, an Under 21 International number 9.

The age range and experience balance cofn3rnd me a bit if Fally and this guy replace him.

New to the League, both late teens, early 20s..Wells at the other end, hmm- is it just a little too lopsided?

8 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

an overseas signing and under 21 international

So cheap and young.

Doesn’t sound like an established, experienced player which I would prefer as first choice to lead the line.

Budget makes that tricky of course, especially when you're saving a good chunck of it to spend on your preferred no.10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Oh, totally…just saying if there’s one are of the country he might get some shit to stick its the NW!

He’s a belter.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nixon as far as I can see is particularly strong on the North West and has some accuracy on parts of the Midlands, Scotland.

Used to be strong on FFP stuff too regardless of Geography, not so much now- clearly had a good source at the League.

How did his Chris Kirshner ITK go.

14 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Ian has just posted Twine talks are progressing but nothing imminent. He says the other 9 should be in next 7-10 days, an overseas signing and under 21 international for their country. Interesting. Any names? 

I wonder how over which sea the “overseas” u21 international is?  Hmmmmmmmm.  I have a theory based on something someone told me on Friday.  But really not my place to say who, as I’m guessing.  Sorry.  If that person wants to divulge to OTIB they will.

From the other thread:

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

The Gaymeister general has spoken:

The next "9" we'll be signing "may" be in within the next 7-10 days. He's an overseas player & a U21 International. I could see him playing alongside Fally however, he's a big lad so that partnership could be along the same lines as the one that Sunderland turned us over with when they had Ross Stewart & Ellis Simms in a two-Equally, as LM seems to prefer a "one" up top he can play as an alternative to Fally. Both players are more adept at playing that lone striker role than Tommy or Nahki who are both excellent players but different in style.

Now I’m beginning to think my “guess” isnt a million miles off!!!

There is probably some truth in the “more adept”, but I wouldn’t say Fally nor the person I’m thinking of are truly back-to-goal per se.  I’d say they are more adept at laying-off and / or trying to roll their CB-marker.

I’d be quite excited by this player, but he needs some work if it’s who I’m thinking off.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From the other thread:

There is probably some truth in the “more adept”, but I wouldn’t say Fally nor the person I’m thinking of are truly back-to-goal per se.  I’d say they are more adept at laying-off and / or trying to roll their CB-marker.

I’d be quite excited by this player, but he needs some work if it’s who I’m thinking off.

Well…..we’re waiting!!

• Haha 1

How I see the Twine talks 'progressing'....

Tinnion: 'Have you guys lowered your asking price yet?'

Burnley: 'No, are you prepared to bid more yet?'

Tinnion 'No'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From the other thread:

You’ve got to say it now! Or at least the nationality!

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From the other thread:

Based on your other posts, I’m wondering if you mean Sinayoko. But he is a full international so I am guessing you are thinking of someone else?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

@Davefevs Sinclair Armstrong???

Recently had his contract extended and not a high scorer but everything else fits. Mind you, there are around 140 countries with an U21 forward who might also fit the bill. We need a hint!!

36 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Tinnion 'No'

Yep

37 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Tinnion 'No'

Reminds me of this…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fly in the air said:

and who are you thinking about. is there truth in this or just your thought. or has ian spoken to u. 

No, not spoken to Ian…only putting 2 and 2 together from what someone told me on Friday…which isn’t a million miles off how Ian described the player in his tweet.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

How did his Chris Kirshner ITK go.

Further South or East he gets the more random his selections seem to get. Albeit from maybe 2018 to 2021/early 2022 FFP he was strong on..less so since.

On 14/07/2024 at 10:08, Lrrr said:

One area Ipswich may struggle has been their reluctance to scout abroad, they’ve been very much fixated on the British market with only brief times looking abroad, when it comes to the PL there is obviously a bigger expense recruiting British based players then looking abroad. So will be a case of do they have the money to overhaul the squad like they need to given how many players they’ll need to recruit if they mostly just look domestically. 

Conscious decision from McKenna. He loves to sign players he knows inside out (attributes/character etc) and he knows are coachable with high ceilings. Agree that comes at a premium cost wise but also comes with a premium at the other end when it comes to selling if McKenna can improve them. Expect we will end up spending circa £100m this summer.   

5 minutes ago, Dan11 said:

Conscious decision from McKenna. He loves to sign players he knows inside out (attributes/character etc) and he knows are coachable with high ceilings. Agree that comes at a premium cost wise but also comes with a premium at the other end when it comes to selling if McKenna can improve them. Expect we will end up spending circa £100m this summer.   

Your head of recruitment wanted to go scout abroad and your director of football wouldn’t allow it saying he didn’t think it was worth it after doing it once himself, nothing to do with McKenna 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder how over which sea the “overseas” u21 international is?  Hmmmmmmmm.  I have a theory based on something someone told me on Friday.  But really not my place to say who, as I’m guessing.  Sorry.  If that person wants to divulge to OTIB they will.

Bristol Channel?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Your head of recruitment wanted to go scout abroad and your director of football wouldn’t allow it saying he didn’t think it was worth it after doing it once himself, nothing to do with McKenna 

Not true. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Based on your other posts, I’m wondering if you mean Sinayoko. But he is a full international so I am guessing you are thinking of someone else?

He's also 24. 🤔

There seems to be a high optimism at Birmingham so maybe cash permitting that will help sway Twine.

Read that they sold 16,505 season tickets by early last week. Which is apparently their highest in over a decade- early bird etc deadline.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There seems to be a high optimism at Birmingham so maybe cash permitting that will help sway Twine.

Read that they sold 16,505 season tickets by early last week. Which is apparently their highest in over a decade- early bird etc deadline.

I'd be very surprised if he went to Birmingham. Very little analysis needed - they're in League 1.

Twine will have suitors in the Championship. If not us, then other Championship teams will be interested.

2 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

other clubs will be interested that's why city need to make a decision offer a good price and get it done. would be annoying if someone like swansea or  cardiff pull off a deal for him. 

It depends how much they pay. It would only be annoying if they pull off a good deal for him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The Feeder!

Reminds me of "the slime on the cut is all mine, all mine, the slime on the cut is all mine", coined by some genius on here many years ago I believe 

• Haha 2

Burnley go on tour 31st July (later than most clubs) and have friendlies behind closed doors before the 31st vs Barnsley, Newcastle, Celtic and Leganes.

I’m sure we will have an outcome before they fly out to Spain, either Parker to keep Twine if he shines in those 4 friendlies before the trip or if he thinks cash in.  

9 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Burnley go on tour 31st July (later than most clubs) and have friendlies behind closed doors before the 31st vs Barnsley, Newcastle, Celtic and Leganes.

I’m sure we will have an outcome before they fly out to Spain, either Parker to keep Twine if he shines in those 4 friendlies before the trip or if he thinks cash in.  

I mean then we're in the same story as we are anyway, Burnley stated a price a while ago and we've been reluctant to go beyond what we seem to think he's worth so there's a stalemate unless another club gets involved willing to bid higher.

I know there is plenty of time and Twine needs less integration than other signings but if we're getting nowhere fast we need to know when to move on. This was my concern initially. Either overpaying (to match Burnley's expectation) or dragging this out all summer and missing out on other options available.

I know this is Mannings top target and Twine carries a certain skillset but he's not the only 10 out there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1