IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

3 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Is this all dead and buried now with Armstrong in or is there some chance of it still coming off?

I felt he was a good forward thinking midfielder and the word was he wanted  to come and we wanted him.  

Sorry if this should of gone in the transfer bit

Don’t think so Cyril.  The plan was always two strikers, a winger and a creative midfielder.  The first three have been ticked off, Twine is still the target for the fourth.  Whether it happens, your guess is as good as mine.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Is this all dead and buried now with Armstrong in or is there some chance of it still coming off?

I felt he was a good forward thinking midfielder and the word was he wanted  to come and we wanted him.  

Do you know anything about football and understand player positions???

Armstrong is not an attacking midfielder/No 10 but Twine is so why think they are one of the same?

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Phew.

I was getting worried we’d have a Twine thread that would stick to Twine but boom, four posts in. Skills.

I thought there must be a forum rule that required threads to deviate to Tommy references, but didn't realise there was a maximum number of posts required before this deviation happens.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Armstrong is not an attacking midfielder/No 10 but Twine is so why think they are one of the same?

I do not think they are the same and have no idea that Armstrong is an alternative to Twine. But My thoughts where that's now three signings this summer plus those now at the club signed in Jan. Is there any money left to bring in Twine ?

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I thought there must be a forum rule that required threads to deviate to Tommy references, but didn't realise there was a maximum number of posts required before this deviation happens.

Posting on OTIB is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I do not think they are the same and have no idea that Armstrong is an alternative to Twine. But My thoughts where that's now three signings this summer plus those now at the club signed in Jan. Is there any money left to bring in Twine ?

Who knows??

we will have to wait and see 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Phew.

I was getting worried we’d have a Twine thread that would stick to Twine but boom, four posts in. Skills.

Be fair though…..half a page in now and no mention of Tinnion, Lansdown or LJ. (Oops!) 

10 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Armstrong isn't a number 10 he is a number 9 or 7 so no it isn't dead 

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

Wow.

Does the poster have to?

Do you know if we have any money left to pay for Twine after we signed Armstrong?

It may have absolutely nothing to do with player positions whatsoever, and may have everything to do with budgets, Manning may have just done his budget in for all we know. It could easily have been a one player or the other as it currently stands.

On 19/07/2024 at 10:23, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think we really need to move on from Twine now. He really isn’t as good as people think he is. 

I think Parker will see him as a good option in his squad. Not sure they would want to sell at the moment to a rival. 

If I’m reading this correctly. He’s not good enough for a mid table team. But good enough for an automatic promotion chasing team? 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Haha 7
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

If I’m reading this correctly. He’s not good enough for a mid table team. But good enough for an automatic promotion chasing team? 

Ah but we have Manning to coach him.  This is the club’s cunning plan. We don’t need to buy ready made players because we can turn them into the best version of themselves :banana:

( about time we had a dancing banana)

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Imagine Kal Naismith was doing this. People won’t be having a meltdown if he did it. 

I think you’d have the irritation about the process, but arguably not the pages and pages of posts. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Posting on OTIB is a bit like making love to a beautiful woman.

Putting up a tent is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Unzip the door, put up your pole, and slip into the old bag. 🤣

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

go in with a good offer if Burnley say no then move on to a new Target. 

I think that’s the issue, we’ve gone in with about 3 or 4 offers in two separate windows that are nowhere near what Burnley want. They’ve said no, and we’ve not taken the hint. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think that’s the issue, we’ve gone in with about 3 or 4 offers in two separate windows that are nowhere near what Burnley want. They’ve said no, and we’ve not taken the hint. 

Exactly. Simple game innit? In the words of Ted Dibiase “Everybody’s got a price, everybody’s got to pay”

However, we seem to feel that doesn’t apply to us.

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If City have made 3/4 bids to get where we are I dread to think what value we started at for Manning’s top target

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Exactly. Simple game innit? In the words of Ted Dibiase “Everybody’s got a price, everybody’s got to pay”

However, we seem to feel that doesn’t apply to us.

You’d imagine their position with us is “this is the fee, he’s got two years left on his contract and other clubs are showing interest”

If I was Burnley I’d go further and say not to contact me unless it’s the price we’ve set or you’re offering a player involved to consider 

7 hours ago, Malago said:

Don’t think so Cyril.  The plan was always two strikers, a winger and a creative midfielder.  The first three have been ticked off, Twine is still the target for the fourth.  Whether it happens, your guess is as good as mine.

Might’ve joined this thread at wrong point, apologies if so, but the plan was one striker, one winger and a no10.  But with Conway “off”, then it’s two strikers instead of one.  We’ve got both strikers, we’ve got the winger, it’s just the no10 left to get.

We won’t be getting another striker.

Of course, should another striker leave, e.g. Cornick, Wells, etc, then that would change things.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

If City have made 3/4 bids to get where we are I dread to think what value we started at for Manning’s top target

50p and a grab bag of prawn cocktail wotsits!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Which is why we need to move on. Does Tinnion not learn from Dinning? Or dare I say Tomlin. It wasn’t even a great loan, no doubt he’s a decent player but surely we have other targets we can move on to. 

44 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Squad player. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Wow.

Does the poster have to?

Do you know if we have any money left to pay for Twine after we signed Armstrong?

It may have absolutely nothing to do with player positions whatsoever, and may have everything to do with budgets, Manning may have just done his budget in for all we know. It could easily have been a one player or the other as it currently stands.

Of course you need to understand players positions and the type of player added to a squad 

Twine is not a physical quick attacking player so why think that it’s apples for apples 

It’s been well documented what type of players the club want to bring in a 7, 9 & 10 - We now have a 7 & 2 x 9’s as Conway will be going. That leaves a No 10 of which Twine fits that role 

The club will be working within a financial budget and fully expect them to sign a No10 before the window closes. If that is Twine then so be it if it is possible within the budget 

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m sure there was a better way to word that 😂

Sometimes I just can’t be arsed 😂

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Of course you need to understand players positions and the type of player added to a squad 

Twine is not a physical quick attacking player so why think that it’s apples for apples 

It’s been well documented what type of players the club want to bring in a 7, 9 & 10 - We now have a 7 & 2 x 9’s as Conway will be going. That leaves a No 10 of which Twine fits that role 

The club will be working within a financial budget and fully expect them to sign a No10 before the window closes. If that is Twine then so be it if it is possible within the budget 

Sometimes I just can’t be arsed 😂

At those times it’s sometimes best to say nothing at all, dependant on the situation of course. 👍

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

No i think the thought is that he’s good but not that good and definitely not worth shooting yourself in the foot to wait forever for him. Equally not worth paying over the odds for when ther are supposed to be other options on the table who presumably won’t be available for ever.

• Like 1

Like Twine. Talented intelligent player. Effective with dead balls, something we've desperately lacked for a number of years. And a good age so sell on potential. In my opinion a top 6 player & in today's market I'd be expected to pay the £4 million Burnley are rumoured to want. Believe we have headroom in ffp & would probably be the final piece in the jigsaw. If we can afford £4million but only want to pay 3 (as rumoured) doesn't make sense to me to dig in for as long as we have if we are serious about top 6. Plus seems he's someone LM wants. Could be cutting one's nose off! But typical of the regime

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Like Twine. Talented intelligent player. Effective with dead balls, something we've desperately lacked for a number of years. And a good age so sell on potential. In my opinion a top 6 player & in today's market I'd be expected to pay the £4 million Burnley are rumoured to want. Believe we have headroom in ffp & would probably be the final piece in the jigsaw. If we can afford £4million but only want to pay 3 (as rumoured) doesn't make sense to me to dig in for as long as we have if we are serious about top 6. Plus seems he's someone LM wants. Could be cutting one's nose off! But typical of the regime

Haven't even gone that high

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAWS said:

A top 6 championship creative midfielder who is talented with dead balls, is reaching prime and has sell on potential is….

- Going to go for more than £4m

- Not going to be sold by a side with promotion aspirations/expectations

- Not joining a mid table championship side

It’s almost as if Twine either isn’t that good (and doesn’t tick those boxes making £2-£3m more of a realistic price based on ability), or he is that good and therefore would cost more than we want to/can pay and we’re chasing rainbows.

Either way, we need to just shit or get off the pot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I've made my views clear on the signing of Twine but thank god he brings more to the party than just dead ball striking, he's not like a kicker in American Wimp Ball. On most pitches the area of the penalty area you'd want to hit are around 30 to 45 ft from the corner flag and any professional midfielder should be able to get it there with pace and accuracy. As for free kicks get on the training ground and bend it around the dummies (you can make up your own minds as to what I'm referring to). 

lansdown injected £13m into the club in early july; could this be the transfer budget for the season? obviously wages need to be considered too, but with fally and sincs costing somewhere between £4-6m combined depending on who you ask and yu on loan with an option to buy (unsure of the fee), we could have enough to get twine through the door. i’d be amazed if we didn’t bring in a naturally central playmaker unless manning wants to play a 3-4-3 next season, but having the flexibility to play a 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 and given the fact twine can also play off the left and did so under manning at times, getting him in just makes sense.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Which is why we need to move on. Does Tinnion not learn from Dinning? Or dare I say Tomlin. It wasn’t even a great loan, no doubt he’s a decent player but surely we have other targets we can move on to. 

Squad player. 

Should we really be basing our recruitment policy on one player who let us down literally 20 years ago. Even allowing for the demographic of this forum there must be posters googling his name to find out what this reference means.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

lansdown injected £13m into the club in early july; could this be the transfer budget for the season?

No.  A longer explanation can be found in the FFP thread.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No.  A longer explanation can be found in the FFP thread.

oh, cheers for clearing that up and i’ll have a look in the thread. thought it would be too good to be true. 😆

Just now, jbcfc said:

oh, cheers for clearing that up and i’ll have a look in the thread. thought it would be too good to be true. 😆

I’d start from the last page and work backwards.  If you start from pg1, see you in 2025/36 season! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Paying £4m for him will probably blow our wage structure out of the water. Nige referenced the large disparity in wages across the first team squad and huge efforts were made to achieve some sort of parity.
Buying a player for £4m means wages in tune with that fee and we probably won't want to pay it for both reasons.

• Like 3

The problem with players wages these days is that they far exceed the income of the football clubs that employ them. 
Football is also driven by greedy agents that want their cut which brings in over inflated transfer fees for average players. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

The problem with players wages these days is that they far exceed the income of the football clubs that employ them. 
Football is also driven by greedy agents that want their cut which brings in over inflated transfer fees for average players. 

Agents in particular are a huge issue (IMO).

New rules are designed to mitigate this somewhat, the whole 70% radio of Turnover.

Happily the Championship Wage to Revenue ratio is declining slightly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

51 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

Paying £4m for him will probably blow our wage structure out of the water. Nige referenced the large disparity in wages across the first team squad and huge efforts were made to achieve some sort of parity.
Buying a player for £4m means wages in tune with that fee and we probably won't want to pay it for both reasons.

why does the fee paid for the player have any impact on the wages? other than the agent trying to demand more.

both spotrac and capology have twine’s wages as £3.5k p/w. surprisingly low but if that’s accurate then wages shouldn’t be an issue as the £20-25k we would likely offer will be a vast increase on his current contract.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

why does the fee paid for the player have any impact on the wages? other than the agent trying to demand more.

both spotrac and capology have twine’s wages as £3.5k p/w. surprisingly low but if that’s accurate then wages shouldn’t be an issue as the £20-25k we would likely offer will be a vast increase on his current contract.

I've no faith in such sites, I would be surprised if he isn't on far more. 

£20-25k per week minimum at Burnley probably?

Fee paid can have an impact because Market Value wise if you are valued at a given rate by a Club, you will expect wages that are commensurate with that. Agents Fees are separate again.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Hmmm 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fee paid can have an impact because Market Value wise if you are valued at a given rate by a Club, you will expect wages that are commensurate with that. Agents Fees are separate again.

Hes on less than that at Burnley, a fair bit less by all accounts. Moving to us would be a decent pay rise for him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

Those wages are likely massively unreliable - most sites of that ilk are. And there is an obvious correlation between wages and fee - if you think on it, if a club is willing to pay their top fee on a player logistically the player is going to want wages to match as opposed to those in line with players signed for far less. Word life - this is basic economics.

On a broader front, as has been said in the Conway thread, we don’t think we’re in the market of paying the £25k per week you suggest for players. I’d argue Twine is questionable on resale value (as he is unproven at this level and seemingly not in demand) so it’s what he costs you over a contracted term. If you say you give him a 4 year deal and sign for £4m, plus the £25k a week then even ignoring signing on fees, agents fees, bonuses etc it’s a £9m package.

And to illustrate that further, if our average ST seat is £400 it’s two years worth of season ticket sales on this deal.

I’m not sure anyone can realistically say Scott Twine is worth anywhere near that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Hes on less than that at Burnley, a fair bit less by all accounts. Moving to us would be a decent pay rise for him. 

That is surprising.

I know he stepped up from League 1 but Burnley did spend and had a lot of players leave..Wage Bill was £53.661m.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would think he's on around half of that given he came from L2 to join Burnley.

Coming here would probably be a decent pay rise for him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I would think he's on around half of that given he came from L2 to join Burnley.

Parachute clubs can often be big spending, what did Burnley pay for him? Fee and Wage don't always correlate but that seems low on one level.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The unknown is whether Twine had a promotion increase last summer and a subsequent relegation reduction this summer.

Like you I would’ve thought Burnley got him for someone in the £10-15k pw ballpark, but what happened since I dunno.

I would imagine we have pitched to him to be our top earner (joint top maybe).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've made my views clear on the signing of Twine but thank god he brings more to the party than just dead ball striking, he's not like a kicker in American Wimp Ball. On most pitches the area of the penalty area you'd want to hit are around 30 to 45 ft from the corner flag and any professional midfielder should be able to get it there with pace and accuracy. As for free kicks get on the training ground and bend it around the dummies (you can make up your own minds as to what I'm referring to). 

You'd like to think that all professional footballers could do what you say effectively but unfortunately that's not the case, as we have had the misfortune to witness for a number of years. Twine's delivery stands out. I haven't felt the same level of expectation when stepping up to to take a free kick since I can remember, maybe as far back as Mickey Bell! How sad! 

And yes he does bring more to the party than dead balls. His movement & thought is clever & often ahead of team mates. After an unfortunate injury he showed enough at the end of the season to justify signing him.

No doubt we are quibbling again

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Those wages are likely massively unreliable - most sites of that ilk are. And there is an obvious correlation between wages and fee - if you think on it, if a club is willing to pay their top fee on a player logistically the player is going to want wages to match as opposed to those in line with players signed for far less. Word life - this is basic economics.

On a broader front, as has been said in the Conway thread, we don’t think we’re in the market of paying the £25k per week you suggest for players. I’d argue Twine is questionable on resale value (as he is unproven at this level and seemingly not in demand) so it’s what he costs you over a contracted term. If you say you give him a 4 year deal and sign for £4m, plus the £25k a week then even ignoring signing on fees, agents fees, bonuses etc it’s a £9m package.

And to illustrate that further, if our average ST seat is £400 it’s two years worth of season ticket sales on this deal.

I’m not sure anyone can realistically say Scott Twine is worth anywhere near that.

As I said above, I think he is a top 6 player even if he squeezes in the 6th placed team on teh bench. In my view he is a top 6 squad player.

We have stated our ambition/intention to get to the PL, & thus top 6.

If we can't afford him (or anyone else in that bracket) then our actions don't match our 'ambition'

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

If we can't afford him (or anyone else in that bracket) then our actions don't match our 'ambition'

I think our ambition is to have a “stars align” season.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think our ambition is to have a “stars align” season.

Yes I heard SL doesn't believe in fairy tales but does bellieve in dreams 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The unknown is whether Twine had a promotion increase last summer and a subsequent relegation reduction this summer.

Like you I would’ve thought Burnley got him for someone in the £10-15k pw ballpark, but what happened since I dunno.

I would imagine we have pitched to him to be our top earner (joint top maybe).

Given Mannings obsession with getting him here I think you are probably correct in him becoming a/the top earner here.

• Like 2