IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True! 

But there is also a serious point and an underlying concern. You won’t find any argument from me that a player who wants to be here will prima facie put more in than one who wants away (and for avoidance of doubt I don’t see the Conway/Twine scenarios as comparable).

The “but” there, and it is a fair “but” is that you stated it will be to Scott to put performances in to encourage us to make the move permanent. He didn’t in his loan spell last season, yet here we are. Even his most ardent supporters admit the spell was patchy (ranging from a great performance against Rotherham to one where he hid against Huddersfield), and I think Fevs put some stats on that showed we were better without him on the pitch (put your facing a pie chucked after Curtly Ambrose analogy here). It wasn’t a spell that justified chasing the player for the following season.

There has been a lot of concern in the past about us being a cosy club, and to be fair, those who support the Conway action do so to move away from that. There is a big question mark as to whether this deal is the other side of those scales - Liam was signing Scott come what may and from Scott’s viewpoint, he’s going to a club where he knows he can perform indifferently and the coach still highly rates/plays him.

Im glad we’re not doing a permanent deal. But make no mistake it will be a big loan fee, and I only hope we don’t pedestal the player unnecessarily as we did last season and any future permanent deal is done on merit and not because of a blind spot.

I guess it's all about cogs in the engine, Mannings judgement will be that he has made signings that will allow Twine or someone similar to be more effective. Bird to share the workhorse stuff with Knight, Fally to take the weight, Armstrong to supply the pace and be an outlet etc. We can but wait and see if he is right.

• Like 2

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True! 

But there is also a serious point and an underlying concern. You won’t find any argument from me that a player who wants to be here will prima facie put more in than one who wants away (and for avoidance of doubt I don’t see the Conway/Twine scenarios as comparable).

The “but” there, and it is a fair “but” is that you stated it will be to Scott to put performances in to encourage us to make the move permanent. He didn’t in his loan spell last season, yet here we are. Even his most ardent supporters admit the spell was patchy (ranging from a great performance against Rotherham to one where he hid against Huddersfield), and I think Fevs put some stats on that showed we were better without him on the pitch (put your facing a pie chucked after Curtly Ambrose analogy here). It wasn’t a spell that justified chasing the player for the following season.

There has been a lot of concern in the past about us being a cosy club, and to be fair, those who support the Conway action do so to move away from that. There is a big question mark as to whether this deal is the other side of those scales - Liam was signing Scott come what may and from Scott’s viewpoint, he’s going to a club where he knows he can perform indifferently and the coach still highly rates/plays him.

Im glad we’re not doing a permanent deal. But make no mistake it will be a big loan fee, and I only hope we don’t pedestal the player unnecessarily as we did last season and any future permanent deal is done on merit and not because of a blind spot.

The one aspect from his previous loan spell that does excite me is his set-piece delivery. Having signed some height this Summer (together with hopefully the permanent return of Atkinson) we could benefit more from that this term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I guess it's all about cogs in the engine, Mannings judgement will be that he has made signings that will allow Twine or someone similar to be more effective. Bird to share the workhorse stuff with Knight, Fally to take the weight, Armstrong to supply the pace and be an outlet etc. We can but wait and see if he is right.

Agree. The one thing I think that nobody can doubt is that it’s his team. He’s been given (if Twine completes) four new midfielders and two new strikers to add to a solid defence, and he’s not lost anyone he doesn’t want to (if you believe the Conway decisions were his). He’s had his time on the grass. If he doesn’t deliver now, then the existing question marks will turn into an untenable scenario.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The one aspect from his previous loan spell that does excite me is his set-piece delivery. Having signed some height this Summer (together with hopefully the permanent return of Atkinson) we could benefit more from that this term.

Agreed - but this isn’t American Football and we can’t do a “special teams”. He needs to do a lot more this season than he did in his loan spell on the pitch in the normal game under any analysis.

And if he shirks and bottles like he did against Huddersfield again, I don’t care how good his free kicks are, he should be put on the first train back to Turf Moor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

A permanent at the right fee would be preferable but there's something to be said for Manning now having exactly what he asked for this season and if it can help push us up to say just outside the play-offs, we might find next year we don't miss out to the likes of Schalke on our number 1 target. If the outside impression is that we are getting closer to that promotion, our targets may feel we are a good route to them making it to the PL themselves.

IMO a loan would just kick the can down the road 12 months in terms of not resolving our need for a 10.

If we can't agree a fee for Twine either to be paid now or as an option to buy next summer, then I'd rather we don't waste a season of (development) time and money on him.

I get where you're coming from, but IMO we'd need to do more than finish just outside the play offs (which would only be 3-4 places higher in the table than this season) to make the loan justifiable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'd be frustrated if it's just a loan (no option to buy etc), but let's see what actually happens before being too critical.

Though if it is just a loan, then twine will be down to 1 year left next sunmer and the scenario will be different again, we are as free to talk to them again next summer as we are now, hopefully with a season if twine doing well and wanting to stay

• Like 1

No doubt we've got a Plan B ,and more, if Twine doesn't work out, although options must be ever reducing as the window moves on.

If you've publicly stated the positions to fill and the plan is to work through your lists from your top choice until you fill each of them then the further you have to go down those lists then obviously the greater the risk you'll end up with a notably inferior player, or even a last resort. Fally was probably plan B/C, so not too bad, but Armstrong could be as much as Plan E, if so 4 other preferred targets didn't happen for one reason or another.

Up front we seem to have ended up with gambles to varying degrees, paying for potential (i.e. fingers firmly crossed they will hit the ground running or at least massively improve under Manning's coaching, and quickly) of players of a similar age and little more proven than a promising striker we've already loaned out to Dundee.

Having said that Bird looks a very solid signing, Hirakawa is at the very least intriguing - and could be a real crowd pleaser - and I'm optimistic the cheaper 'punts' on the likes of Stokes and Murphy look like very good signings until events on the pitch prove otherwise.

As for Tinman, he will know the best way he can prove himself in his current role is in the transfer market and if the majority of these signings are a success, and a City team increasingly made up of signings he was involved with does well, it will go a long way to establishing his credibility for the role and much of the  criticism will abate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

it does appear there could be movement on this deal. for me why not a straight sale or a option to buy. Burnley you would think will get promoted so if they don't want him in the championship no chance of wanting him in the premiership. does that make sense.

I expect it’s all about the money. If he does well his fee goes up . If we get promoted ( I know ) his fee goes up.

If he bombs , ta but no ta . 
I don’t like the idea of a loan but I prefer that to blowing our wages and transfer budget for one player . 

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Liam was signing Scott come what may and from Scott’s viewpoint, he’s going to a club where he knows he can perform indifferently and the coach still highly rates/plays him.

You're right Silv; Twine will be sat on a sun lounger on the halfway line sipping a Margarita, safe in the knowledge that he can't be dropped, because after all, Manning is besotted with Twiney's cheeky smile (and his behaviours). 

Meanwhile, Tinnion is trying to sign a flying fish called Billy to play in goal for us, but might have scuppered the deal by getting drunk and parading down East Street with a sandwich board announcing personal details about the player. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Major Isewater said:

I expect it’s all about the money. If he does well his fee goes up . If we get promoted ( I know ) his fee goes up.

If he bombs , ta but no ta . 
I don’t like the idea of a loan but I prefer that to blowing our wages and transfer budget for one player . 

I think the aspect we have to consider is how much the loan fee is (and I don’t know btw). Logic says that this time next year, unless he performs exceptionally, Scott’s value reduces due to having one year left on his deal. And the odds (as with any player) are that he will have an adequate as opposed to very poor or very good loan spell.

So, if you’re Burnley with that in mind, and you don’t need to really get the wages off the bill, you’re likely to charge a premium for any loan due to the contract scenario at cessation.

56 minutes ago, Ian M said:

.....and without knowing off-hand the contract expiry dates of our squad (bar Conway and Wells), if we got the other recruitment right this Summer we can have an even more focused use of budget next Summer.

Unfortunately we won’t have any player sales of significant value to have much of a budget!

41 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Yet, in that final block of games, we had Roberts and TGH taking plenty of them.

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Though if it is just a loan, then twine will be down to 1 year left next sunmer and the scenario will be different again, we are as free to talk to them again next summer as we are now, hopefully with a season if twine doing well and wanting to stay

Yes, however this is part of the problem I have with a loan with no option to buy.

If Twine does have a great season, then next summer we still have the potential of bringing him in.......but so does everyone else. Let's be honest, if a parachute payment club comes in for him, we won't be able to compete. So, as with our loan last season, we end up in the slightly strange position of not wanting him to perform *too* well, else we'll have little hope of making the deal permanent.

Of course, the alternative is that he performs poorly and nobody else wants him in 12 months time. Obviously that wouldn't be particularly desirable either.

• Like 2

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

If so, then I reckon Twine won't be here before the season starts.

More likely the last week of the window. And if it's that late, Plan A better not go wrong cos we'll have precious little time to execute Plan B.  

This is my fear, Parker turns round on the last week and says sorry lads he’s staying, we are then scrambling round to find a ten and negotiate a deal in time. Like I’ve said previously I would really hope we’ve got a date in mind where we move on if Parker can’t make his mind up. In my view this date should be imminent with the season just round the corner. I hope we’ve decided we’ll wait till the end of this week then move on.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately we won’t have any player sales of significant value to have much of a budget!

Yet, in that final block of games, we had Roberts and TGH taking plenty of them.

One good corner and he's David Beckham!

10 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yes, however this is part of the problem I have with a loan with no option to buy.

If Twine does have a great season, then next summer we still have the potential of bringing him in.......but so does everyone else. Let's be honest, if a parachute payment club comes in for him, we won't be able to compete. So, as with our loan last season, we end up in the slightly strange position of not wanting him to perform *too* well, else we'll have little hope of making the deal permanent.

Of course, the alternative is that he performs poorly and nobody else wants him in 12 months time. Obviously that wouldn't be particularly desirable either.

If this loan happens, I think it would be a bad deal for both sides to have not agreed something at the end.

Personally I can’t see any reason why you’d even bother with a loan at all. If we can’t agree a fee now, what are our chances of agreeing a fee to buy (whether option, conditional or unconditional obligation) at the end of the loan.

I’m gonna wait until I hear an update from the other side of this deal, we’ve had too many false dawns.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, if it is a straight loan and we have no buy clause (and therefore no value to us at the end of the season), I trust everyone will be happy if we immediately place Scott Twine in the U21 squad and don’t let him liaise with the first team.

Ah, but HE wants to be here!!!

Ipswich signed Omari Hutchinson and Brandon Williams on loan last summer without options to buy. Luton loaned Marvelous Nakamba and Codeh Drameh without options to buy the January before that. In 2021-22, Nottingham Forest signed James Garner, Djed Spence and Keinan Davis on loan without options to buy 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

If,as you say, he has a GREAT season we could have gone up and looking for an upgrade !

Let the future take care of its self and just get him in .

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

If,as you say, he has a GREAT season we could have gone up and looking for an upgrade !

Let the future take care of its self and just get him in .

Yes, that would be great, and the loan would have been worth it if it helped us to achieve promotion. Unfortunately, with or without Twine, I think our chances of promotion this season are slim.

Ultimately, it goes back to the point I made earlier - we'd need to do very well this season to justify the loan with no option to buy.........⬇️

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I get where you're coming from, but IMO we'd need to do more than finish just outside the play offs (which would only be 3-4 places higher in the table than this season) to make the loan justifiable.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If this loan happens, I think it would be a bad deal for both sides to have not agreed something at the end.

Personally I can’t see any reason why you’d even bother with a loan at all. If we can’t agree a fee now, what are our chances of agreeing a fee to buy (whether option, conditional or unconditional obligation) at the end of the loan.

I’m gonna wait until I hear an update from the other side of this deal, we’ve had too many false dawns.

My thoughts exactly 👏

3 hours ago, fly in the air said:

it does appear there could be movement on this deal. for me why not a straight sale or a option to buy. Burnley you would think will get promoted so if they don't want him in the championship no chance of wanting him in the premiership. does that make sense.

Not really. Depends on amortisation and PSR. Keep the player, loan him out for the next few years. Receive loan fees and all his wages paid. May be in Burnleys interest to keep him.....unless someone comes in with a silly offer.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Sorry SD, but I see zero correlation between that scenario and Conway's. For a start we don't know what the post loan agreement is, whatever it is, it isn't down to the player. Also it will be for Twine to put in performances that might encourage us to make the move permanent, whereas the Management team would be worried that Conway would be looking to avoid injury and playing within himself.

Didn't stop Pep playing David Silva or Gundoghen in the last year of their contracts when he knew they were moving on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Didn't stop Pep playing David Silva or Gundoghen in the last year of their contracts when he knew they were moving on.

They were going at the end of the season and Man City did not need/want a fee for them.  After years of service they were allowed to go for free as a thank you for there service.  Conway is still developing and he and his agent are trying to leave in the nest 4-5 weeks. 

So in simple terms Silva or Gundoghen were on the bus and Conway is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'd be frustrated if it's just a loan (no option to buy etc), but let's see what actually happens before being too critical.

I'd be comfortable with a loan. It's when we turn our loans permanent they usually go horribly wrong.  At least a loan gives us a fighting chance!

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

It is, but Tommy (imho) was our valuable asset in terms of transfer profit / budget creation.

He was definitely that asset for 2023-24, and it would be annoying not to maximise that.

However, the recruitment strategy is all about signing players with potential, and we've got a fair few that could be worth £10m + at some stage if they kick on.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is, but Tommy (imho) was our valuable asset in terms of transfer profit / budget creation.

Not likely to be of a massive value, but less than a year ago Brighton, Brentford, Wolves and Palace were understood to be watching Sammy.  At the time of his injury he was in a good run of form and had improved greatly over the course of the season.  If he picks up where he left off and continues his progression then he could be the one that goes next summer.  Big if, of course, but there was definite noise.

13 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I'd be comfortable with a loan. It's when we turn our loans permanent they usually go horribly wrong.  At least a loan gives us a fighting chance!

Totally agree . No need to shell out a fortune yet in that position . Adam Murphy plays in the no.10 position , is now 19 and may yet be our future 10 for years to come . We just don’t know yet so totally agree that a loan for this season would make perfect sense . 

22 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Totally agree . No need to shell out a fortune yet in that position . Adam Murphy plays in the no.10 position , is now 19 and may yet be our future 10 for years to come . We just don’t know yet so totally agree that a loan for this season would make perfect sense . 

I don’t think he does. A little deeper I think.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mozo said:

He was definitely that asset for 2023-24, and it would be annoying not to maximise that.

However, the recruitment strategy is all about signing players with potential, and we've got a fair few that could be worth £10m + at some stage if they kick on.

At some stage!!!!

(Minus the book value, minus the sell-on too)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Not likely to be of a massive value, but less than a year ago Brighton, Brentford, Wolves and Palace were understood to be watching Sammy.  At the time of his injury he was in a good run of form and had improved greatly over the course of the season.  If he picks up where he left off and continues his progression then he could be the one that goes next summer.  Big if, of course, but there was definite noise.

Yet not 1 of them came close to making a bid .

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I broadly agree. The only counter-argument I'd make is that a a loan with no option/agreement could make sense if we thought all other viable alternatives for a permanent number 10 weren't value for money and that a stop gap signing for a year would give us time to have better long-term options next summer. However that only makes sense if it is followed by us actively pursuing alternative options for next summer. If it just "sign Twine for a season and hope Burnley drop their asking price next year" then it is utterly ridiculous for both parties. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Ipswich signed Omari Hutchinson and Brandon Williams on loan last summer without options to buy. Luton loaned Marvelous Nakamba and Codeh Drameh without options to buy the January before that. In 2021-22, Nottingham Forest signed James Garner, Djed Spence and Keinan Davis on loan without options to buy 

Stop spreading facts!!! 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At some stage!!!!

(Minus the book value, minus the sell-on too)

Yeah, homegrown assets are much better...

...but that's fine because Kasvosve is gonna be a £50m player by January 

• Robin 2

39 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, homegrown assets are much better...

...but that's fine because Kasvosve is gonna be a £50m player by January 

He will be sold for a pitence before then clubs have 6 months to get him cheap before he turns pro 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Spectacularly missing the gag there Fevs.

In hindsight, having now got it, and realising it wasn’t a Barry White song….thats very good Silv! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just catching up…so essentially we’re no further forward, he might sign permanently but he might not, he might sign on loan but he might not, the boards are happy but the manager might not be. 

Wonder who’s going to play Parker and Manning in the Netflix drama adaptation series due out in 2026? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Martin G said:

They were going at the end of the season and Man City did not need/want a fee for them.  After years of service they were allowed to go for free as a thank you for there service.  Conway is still developing and he and his agent are trying to leave in the nest 4-5 weeks. 

But Pep wanted to keep both and wanted them to extend their contracts. Nothing to do with fees. He didn't act like a kid and make them train with the U21's for a season as punishment for wanting to leave. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

38 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

But Pep wanted to keep both and wanted them to extend their contracts. Nothing to do with fees. He didn't act like a kid and make them train with the U21's for a season as punishment for wanting to leave. 

Don't see an issue with Conway's treatment, if he wants to go ... Go .. 

He's had a contract on table for ages and rather sign and I don't know put a release clause in, he wants a move.  If his agent is saying he can get x, y and z well now it's upto his agent to prove it.

Plus us losing any money for a player and leaving on a free wouldn't be great for FFP, Manchester city can afford to let players go for free as they don't have any FFP issues (right?)... 

5 minutes ago, Slack said:

Don't see an issue with Conway's treatment, if he wants to go ... Go .. 

He's had a contract on table for ages and rather sign and I don't know put a release clause in, he wants a move.  If his agent is saying he can get x, y and z well now it's upto his agent to prove it.

Plus us losing any money for a player and leaving on a free wouldn't be great for FFP, Manchester city can afford to let players go for free as they don't have any FFP issues (right?)... 

There is a dedicated Conway thread, you know ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

There is a dedicated Conway thread, you know ?

I think the recent Crowdstrike failure was due to speculation on Tommy's future somehow getting into the Microsoft Windows operating system. It's impossible to contain the debate to just one thread. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Masked Man said:

I think the recent Crowdstrike failure was due to speculation on Tommy's future somehow getting into the Microsoft Windows operating system. It's impossible to contain the debate to just one thread. 

Indeed. I happened to be at Geneva airport that day. People were talking about little else. 😆

• Haha 2

On 23/07/2024 at 11:36, Martin G said:

They were allowed to go for free as a thank you for their service? I take it you are not familiar with the Bosman ruling? Where players are allowed to leave on a free at the end of their contracts without the need of permission from their clubs? Cos both of those players left at the end of their contracts. 

How do you know Conway is not on the bus? All we know is he is not on the bus beyond this season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

They were allowed to go for free as a thank you for their service? I take it you are not familiar with the Bosman ruling? Where players are allowed to leave on a free at the end of their contracts without the need of permission from their clubs? Cos both of those players left at the end of their contracts. 

How do you know Conway is not on the bus? All we know is he is not on the bus beyond this season. 

"[Conway] gave the indication he wants to move on, he doesn't want to re-sign and stay."

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

How an earth can you compare conway to Bernardo silva and ilkay gundogan 😂

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KegCity said:

"[Conway] gave the indication he wants to move on, he doesn't want to re-sign and stay."

Thats very vague tho isn't it?

The indication is that he doesn't want to sign a new contract and stay beyond this season. 

He may be quite happy to see the season out here and leave at the end of his contract. We don't know. 

• Like 3