IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

3 hours ago, Parkgate said:

I’m not worked up I just think it’s pathetic. Ian Gay this Ian Gay that - all overwhelmingly negative. A lot of it is the bitter jealous ones who tried to get in with the club and don’t like the fact he is getting fed stuff. I would imagine that the vast majority of posts about him are negative….dont understand why grown adults do that on a forum. Just my view.

Yet you don’t ever say this to him you go on a forum to do it. Well done you.

So despite all the valid criticisms that can be used against IG and BT, its all down to jealously and bitterness? Sorry but that sounds like something IG would say. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Parkgate said:

I’m not worked up I just think it’s pathetic. Ian Gay this Ian Gay that - all overwhelmingly negative. A lot of it is the bitter jealous ones who tried to get in with the club and don’t like the fact he is getting fed stuff. I would imagine that the vast majority of posts about him are negative….dont understand why grown adults do that on a forum. Just my view.

Yet you don’t ever say this to him you go on a forum to do it. Well done you.

Hmmm how would you know if anyone says anything to him, oh and btw if anyone does say something to him he blocks you 

Twine wouldn’t be the first to leave a training camp for a transfer if things pick up pace, Burnley fans surprised 1 or 2 others are there too so maybe they’ve just taken them for now as they are still technically their players & anything can happen. Does seem to decrease the likelihood it happening, given he went in the first place indicates that it’s not close, but maybe TC deal will open a chance to pay a loan fee with a focus on a permanent in 12 Months to get Twine in the building. Really doesn’t feel like we’ve had rumours of any alternative other than a random Brazilian. Think LM really wants Twine & would wait right til last minute if he knew it would get his man & think that’s where It seems to be at but I really do hope they have backups that can be done quickly if not. 

If we have the money just pay it at this point. Manning is clearly obsessed with him, Burnley must think he's a good player if they're including him in their plans and I'd frankly rather we overpay for a crucial player and Manning has no excuses than we penny pinch and get our third or fourth choice.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KegCity said:

If we have the money just pay it at this point. Manning is clearly obsessed with him, Burnley must think he's a good player if they're including him in their plans and I'd frankly rather we overpay for a crucial player and Manning has no excuses than we penny pinch and get our third or fourth choice.

That’s the rub isn’t it, sometimes you get good value buying a player - Rob Dickie for example, sometimes you have to stretch a bit.

If we knew the alternatives we could have a good old debate about cost / benefit, but as it stands we onky know of Twine.  Although I’m not hugely in favour of signing him, especially if we have to find some compromise between our bid and Burnley’s valuation, I’d rather we did to support Manning.  Despite my view pre-Easter on Manning, he’s the only one that can guide this club forward, so I’d rather he has the tools he wants.  Like Pearson, he has the ability to cover the arses of those above him.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Like Pearson, he has the ability to cover the arses of those above him.

Only more so in this case. If Manning is absolutely determined to get Twine because he sees him as the key to success but Twine doesn't deliver to a consistently high standard then it's all on him.

If we pay over the odds the risk to Manning's reputation is even higher while those above him will be able to say they backed him to the hilt so their hands are clean.

• Like 3

A lot of sources saying he wants to come here, but if he really wanted to come here he’d push the button his end, hand in transfer request etc. seems like he’s fighting for his place at Burnley, fair play to him if he gets in that side

Just now, HengroveReds said:

A lot of sources saying he wants to come here, but if he really wanted to come here he’d push the button his end, hand in transfer request etc. seems like he’s fighting for his place at Burnley, fair play to him if he gets in that side

Or he's a decent chap and would be happy either way and feels no need to force anything.

4 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4970066108915b82a94d891bb633d7d4.jpeg

I think this just confirms the twine transfer is dead. I hope we don't now just throw in the towel and give up trying to recruit q number 10 and instead shoe horn someone like knight in there.

Professional footballer in training shock. 

In breaking news this morning, a club photographer snapped a footballer, who may be sold or not, training in the heat. He was not sitting on his own playing with Lego or doing some ironing but training ahead of the new season.

Obviously, this also means the transfer window is now closed.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Or he's a decent chap and would be happy either way and feels no need to force anything.

Surely better for him to stay at Burnley. Likely to be pushing for top two. Seems like a Parker type player to me. Manning needs to get over it and move on surely. We need a number 10 before Hull. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Surely better for him to stay at Burnley. Likely to be pushing for top two. Seems like a Parker type player to me. Manning needs to get over it and move on surely. We need a number 10 before Hull. 

I personally think they are going to wait until Burnley play on the first game of the season, see if he is in the starting 11, bench or left out and then make a call from there. Which is utterly ridiculous but it’s how I think we’ll play it

9 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Had we of been more proactive we could have had jack rudoni in the building weeks ago.

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He went for £5m didn't he? Or was that up to £5m.

We wouldn't have been paying that.

Yeah he was more expensive then Burnley's supposed price for Twine. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

I personally think they are going to wait until Burnley play on the first game of the season, see if he is in the starting 11, bench or left out and then make a call from there. Which is utterly ridiculous but it’s how I think we’ll play it

The problem I have with that is that if Scott Twine was a stand out player and had a really good loan spell here, then I wouldn't mind waiting. But he was quite average here and therefore don't think it is worth us taking the time to see if he comes available. 

• Like 8

Its pretty poor to leave it so late to get a number 10 in. The club seem fixated with Twine and should have either paid the asking prices months ago or moved on . I can see the usual excuses coming out soon and we probably wont get anyone else in until the Jan window with the club saying "even without extra players our strong is strong enough".  Well it's not! if you take Weimann and Conways goals out of this team i cant see where the goals are going to come from neither Fally and Armstrong are prolific

• Like 1

1 minute ago, City Slicker said:

I would argue this. His injury wasn't his fault and it will always take time to integrate with the team. His record of the team with him playing speaks for itself. 

He did OK but it wasn't like Tomlins loan spell for example where he did really shine and almost made us cough the money up (even I'd it did prove to be a waste)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The problem I have with that is that if Scott Twine was a stand out player and had a really good loan spell here, then I wouldn't mind waiting. But he was quite average here and therefore don't think it is worth us taking the time to see if he comes available. 

Odd that Burnley seem to have in their starting XI.

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

This is it for me. Manning seems obsessed with him, as you say. 
if we give Manning the tools he wants then the debate from day one of the season moves on…. And back to where it should be…. Are we any good, is Manning getting the best out of the squad, is Manning any good? 

If we don’t sign Twine then the doubt will remain over whether Manning was backed.  

FWIW I don’t get the obsession - but he’s the boss…. back him, I say (especially if Conway is off and we’re getting some cash for him). 

• Like 3

Simple really. If he wants him pay the extra and get him. Or move on. The challenge for us under the current owners is we never quite push that bit extra to elevate us. Steve Gibson on other hand pushes the boat. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

If we don’t get Twine, I can see us getting a free transfer, or a loan or sticking with what we got. Review in January depending on where we are in the league push the boat out for someone to get us over the line for the last 6 months for that final play off push 

Edited by HengroveReds

Just now, HengroveReds said:

If we don’t get Twine, I can see us getting a free transfer, or a loan or sticking with what we got. Review in January depending on where we are in the league push the boat out for the last 6 months for that final play off push 

he could well have said if i cant have who i want, i will go with what ive got. i know thats what nige did,its more than just getting a player in,manning wants someone he knows he can trust

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

If we don’t get Twine, I can see us getting a free transfer, or a loan or sticking with what we got. Review in January depending on where we are in the league push the boat out for someone to get us over the line for the last 6 months for that final play off push 

Fed up with this mentality on depending where we are in the league. Go for it, life is for living, not being cautious! Go and buy now and push for promotion or what is the point of existing! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Fed up with this mentality on depending where we are in the league. Go for it, life is for living, not being cautious! Go and buy now and push for promotion or what is the point of existing! 

We did that in 2019-20 and 2020-21 in particular but it really begin in 2017-18.

It nearly ended in disaster but we need a happy medium between the 2.

SL seemed to infer in Spring 2021 that we were in a good place for FFP. Maybe he thought the slate would be wiped cleaner than it was given Covid as it certainly was not the case one iota.

18 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Impressive optimism.    Unfortunately even if we are near a play off push, past behaviour shows that won’t be happening. Not to the quality we needed anyway.  Hopefully we are in a position in the table to see if they do finally support a proper push.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, westonred said:

Its pretty poor to leave it so late to get a number 10 in. The club seem fixated with Twine and should have either paid the asking prices months ago or moved on . I can see the usual excuses coming out soon and we probably wont get anyone else in until the Jan window with the club saying "even without extra players our strong is strong enough".  Well it's not! if you take Weimann and Conways goals out of this team i cant see where the goals are going to come from neither Fally and Armstrong are prolific

The club aren't fixated the fans sre

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He went for £5m didn't he? Or was that up to £5m.

We wouldn't have been paying that.

Could factor in the conway money wages wouldn't have been an issue if cov can pay it he would have been perfect for us ah well

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bcfc24 said:

Not for the price he went for we couldn’t 

If we're being out spent by Coventry then we really have sunk and don't bring up the goykores sell on fees he hasn't gone anywhere yet remember we have also got some excellent fees and sell ons for players also. Coventry were in leauge one not so long ago and playing at Northamptons ground because they couldn't afford the lease on the rico arena! 

Edited by BCFC31

Just now, BCFC31 said:

Could factor in the conway money wages wouldn't have been an issue if cov can pay it he would have been perfect for us ah well

I'm surely guessing but I don't see us paying £4m+ or even necessarily £4m on a player at this level any time soon.

I reckon £4m is our Upper Fee Limit and our wage limit for a player £15-20k per week, perhaps under but closer to the latter for wages.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm surely guessing but I don't see us paying £4m+ or even necessarily £4m on a player at this level any time soon.

I reckon £4m is our Upper Fee Limit and our wage limit for a player £15-20k per week, perhaps under but closer to the latter for wages.

Then how do we expect to move forward though? Clearly the going rate for a top championship attacking midfielder is 4 to 5 Mill it isn't like we're spending that on every recruit number 10 is a key position for us in the way manning likes to set up with 1 striker we're prepared to spend nearly 3 mill on punts for me an extra 2 or so mill is well worth it for the here and now ready made number 10

Just now, BCFC31 said:

Then how do we expect to move forward though? Clearly the going rate for a top championship attacking midfielder is 4 to 5 Mill it isn't like we're spending that on every recruit number 10 is a key position for us in the way manning likes to set up with 1 striker we're prepared to spend nearly 3 mill on punts for me an extra 2 or so mill is well worth it for the here and now ready made number 10

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just stating what I believe the present mindset to be.

I think we need a here and now striker and that 10, if Twine is who Manning really really wants then perhaps we should pay a bit more.

1 hour ago, City Slicker said:

I would argue this. His injury wasn't his fault and it will always take time to integrate with the team. His record of the team with him playing speaks for itself. 

Huddersfield H, Stoke A ?

.....or did his appearances coincide with Manning changing the intent.

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

This is it for me. Manning seems obsessed with him, as you say. 
if we give Manning the tools he wants then the debate from day one of the season moves on…. And back to where it should be…. Are we any good, is Manning getting the best out of the squad, is Manning any good? 

If we don’t sign Twine then the doubt will remain over whether Manning was backed.  

FWIW I don’t get the obsession - but he’s the boss…. back him, I say (especially if Conway is off and we’re getting some cash for him). 

The obvious counter to that is that in virtually every case, the manager doesn’t have exactly the players he wants and the value of a coach is in - as Jon and Brian would say - getting the best out of this group of players. Liam is, by reputation, an “on the grass” coach who can improve players. Hes had that time on the grass, he’s had five new players, including millions on strikers, he’s not lost anyone he didn’t want to.

If Scott Twine is the difference between Liam being successful or failing then I’d argue he’s probably not the proverbial all that and the bag of potato chips.

Hes halfway through the average tenure for a manager at this level. He took over a solid side. Twine or no Twine, he needs to deliver. I’m not interested in his excuses if he does fail at his next interview!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just stating what I believe the present mindset to be.

I think we need a here and now striker and that 10, if Twine is who Manning really really wants then perhaps we should pay a bit more.

Yeah agreed the club just baffle me alot of the time if I'm honest mate 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

• Admin

Be interesting to see if we magically get Twine done now Conway to Boro is going ahead.

We've been told that we won't go above our valuation of Scott so it will be intriguing to witness if selling Tommy sees Burnley reduce their own valuation and allow the deal to proceed :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Be interesting to see if we magically get Twine done now Conway to Boro is going ahead.

We've been told that we won't go above our valuation of Scott so it will be intriguing to witness if selling Tommy sees Burnley reduce their own valuation and allow the deal to proceed :D

Where has it been written Tommy to Boro is going ahead?

2 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

I think this just confirms the twine transfer is dead. I hope we don't now just throw in the towel and give up trying to recruit q number 10 and instead shoe horn someone like knight in there.

If we see Knight in that 10 role this season then Manning will be doing himself no favours at all.

It doesn’t suit Knight and in my opinion reduces the ability of the team.

Knight is best in the central role with his energy and it suits his style.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, westonred said:

if you take Weimann and Conways goals out of this team i cant see where the goals are going to come from neither Fally and Armstrong are prolific

We aren’t losing all Tommy’s goals, we have other players who can score penalties - and we should expect Armstrong to match Tommy’s in play goals across a season, otherwise he’s a very poor buy!

• Hmmm 1

Just now, Dullmoan Tone said:

We aren’t losing all Tommy’s goals, we have other players who can score penalties - and we should expect Armstrong to match Tommy’s in play goals across a season, otherwise he’s a very poor buy!

You think we will get 7 Penalties again?

I don't..that was freakishly high for us especially set against the underlying numbers. 3 or 4 maybe.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

he could well have said if i cant have who i want, i will go with what ive got. i know thats what nige did,its more than just getting a player in,manning wants someone he knows he can trust

Yes, that role is the key one for us, twine would be mannings brain on the pitch, controlling what we do going forwards as well as set pieces.. if they dont get that deal done, i dont think manning will be inclined to stick around for long!

14 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I hope your right about Armstrong but dont forget the most he has ever scored in a full season is 3 goals

19 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

If we see Knight in that 10 role this season then Manning will be doing himself no favours at all.

It doesn’t suit Knight and in my opinion reduces the ability of the team.

Knight is best in the central role with his energy and it suits his style.

He's not played there in pre-season, which is promising.

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

He's not played there in pre-season, which is promising.

Yes I’d noticed that and I hope LM has learnt that it doesn’t work for us.

It just surprises me that people are posting teams for the opening day with Knight in that role and suggesting if we don’t get Twine then Knight can be used there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

I hope your right about Armstrong but dont forget the most he has ever scored in a full season is 3 goals

I wouldn't worry too much about Armstrong's personal total - It will be down to the whole revamped team to collectively replace Conway's 10 goals - and hopefully more - not just him.

I can see quite a few players chipping in with goals this season - even Nakhi Wells looked sharp in the friendlies and he's due a good goalscoring season.

He can take the penalties as well.

Our signings this summer seem to have been much more at the top end of the pitch and will be very much untried until he season gets going.

Twine would be great - if not him then someone else with vision and creativity - but those sort of players don't come cheap!!

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I wouldn't worry too much about Armstrong's personal total - It will be down to the whole revamped team to collectively replace Conway's 10 goals - and hopefully more - not just him.

I wish i had your confidence i just cant see where the goals are coming from

Just now, Denbury Red said:

I can see quite a few players chipping in with goals this season - even Nakhi Wells looked sharp in the friendlies and he's due a good goalscoring season.

He can take the penalties as well.

Our signings this summer seem to have been much more at the top end of the pitch and will be very much untried until he season gets going.

Twine would be great - if not him then someone else with vision and creativity - but those sort of players don't come cheap!!

Someone better tell the club they don’t come cheap, as they seem to be waiting for Burnley to roll over and have their belly’s tickled

55 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Unless they suddenly decide that he is surplus to requirements then I can't see them shifting on the fee they want for him. 

It's like I quite like my car. I don't see any need to replace it. If someone offered me what it is worth i'd turn it down. However if someone offered me a few k over its value then I'd sell. I think that's where Burnley are at with Twine. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

The fact they are still trying to get twine makes me think they literally have no other targets, it’s not as if he is amazing surely there are other number 10s around 

We’re a small fish in a huge pond, multiple clubs can out bid/pay more than us. City themselves have admitted numerous times, if we’re interested in a player so are lots of others.  If we have even a small % head start on Twine, just because he was here before and presumably enjoyed it, why not keep on being patient.

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

We’re a small fish in a huge pond, multiple clubs can out bid/pay more than us. City themselves have admitted numerous times, if we’re interested in a player so are lots of others.  If we have even a small % head start on Twine, just because he was here before and presumably enjoyed it, why not keep on being patient.

True albeit we are one of the better placed if SL does his bit in the Championship right now financially.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The obvious counter to that is that in virtually every case, the manager doesn’t have exactly the players he wants and the value of a coach is in - as Jon and Brian would say - getting the best out of this group of players. Liam is, by reputation, an “on the grass” coach who can improve players. Hes had that time on the grass, he’s had five new players, including millions on strikers, he’s not lost anyone he didn’t want to.

If Scott Twine is the difference between Liam being successful or failing then I’d argue he’s probably not the proverbial all that and the bag of potato chips.

Hes halfway through the average tenure for a manager at this level. He took over a solid side. Twine or no Twine, he needs to deliver. I’m not interested in his excuses if he does fail at his next interview!

I actually agree with you. I’d only like him to get Twine so there are absolutely NO excuses. I’m far from convinced that Twine is going to drive us from lower-mid table to the play offs.  For me the jury is massively out on Manning and, as you say, it’s delivery time now. 

• Like 2

@Rocky

This isn't to say that there are no other non Parachute Payments clubs ahead of us FFP wise nut we had the 6th highest aka top non Parachute Payments Club Income in 2022-23.

There are a mere 4 Parachute Payments Clubs this year so we can be quite competitive in this regard.

• Like 1