IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Twine has just played a full season in the Championship with a side that finished outside the playoffs & another who finished 11th.

He was a regular in the side at Hull, so harsh to say that.

Dinning was a one off in my 50 years of watching us, a player who effectively decided to lie to us in order to sign a contract, it is exceptionally unlikely there are any parallels.

I fully agree with you about Dinning. From the first days of loans in the late 1960's, Dinning is the worst and followed by the French one and also the one recently from Liverpool, both of whom's names elude me.

(Old age when I can remember lots of things from my childhood but forget ten minutes ago)

Posted (edited)

Birmingham fans are really arrogant aren't they, just browsing Twine BCFC thing on Twitter. Cannot abide them.

Must be a 2nd city thing, just look at Aston Villa too. 🤷‍♂️

I don't necessarily see how their revenue jumps 8 figures in a relegation year..we know about the RPT but prior to that in the first 6 months it has gone up a bit and suddenly they are talking highest revenue outside of Parachute clubs for last year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Birmingham fans are really arrogant aren't they, just browsing Twine BCFC thing on Twitter. Cannot abide them.

I don't necessarily see how their revenue jumps 8 figures in a relegation year..we know about the RPT but prior to that in the first 6 months it has gone up a bit and suddenly they are talking highest revenue outside of Parachute clubs for last year.

Remind you of anyone ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

If they are paying him enough. 

Point here is Burnley will sell to highest bidder and Birmingham are going on a spending spree and can likely outbid us. 

But he’s under no obligation to agree to go to League 1 even if Birmingham offered £50m for him ! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Horrible club, have always had a big dislike for them. Glad they finally went down 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Horrible club, have always had a big dislike for them. Glad they finally went down 

Yep, likewise. Found Aston Villa worse for a time but then again thinking back one of my earliest memories of City was April 1999 vs...Birmingham.

All but sent us down and Francis had some sort of altercation in the tunnel with a steward iirc!

Ashton Gate was quite hostile that day too. Francis was moaning about going down the tunnel post game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s certainly an opinion to discuss.  I don’t think he’s the difference-maker others think he is, which of course they are entitled to hold.

I think Burnley overpaid, and I think we will if we pay anymore for him than we were intending to for Azaz (£2.5m).  I also don’t think there’s much upside in him either, he’s 25 by the time the season starts.

I didn’t see enough in general play to warrant paying a load for him.  He takes a wicked free-kick, granted.  I do think he’s good enough for the Championship, but I don’t think he pushes us to top-6.  LM does though.

Well Ian G is relaxed as he says on X that the other 10’s we have on the list are good players, I’m personally keen to see someone else. Norwich away was his best game and even then missed some good chances. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Well Ian G is relaxed as he says on X that the other 10’s we have on the list are good players, I’m personally keen to see someone else. Norwich away was his best game and even then missed some good chances. 

The same Ian Gay who, if we are being kind, knows a bit about us but next to nothing about the wider game? His latest admission of having "never heard" of Aaron Connolly perfectly surmises his total ignorance of the game at this level.

His opinion that they are "good players" is just regurgitating the leakers opinion. Rumour is that it's a direct line to Tinnion... Who isn't going to think a player on his own list is poor... 

Blows the mind that people think this bloke is anything other than Tinnion's useful idiot. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 5

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s certainly an opinion to discuss.  I don’t think he’s the difference-maker others think he is, which of course they are entitled to hold.

I think Burnley overpaid, and I think we will if we pay anymore for him than we were intending to for Azaz (£2.5m).  I also don’t think there’s much upside in him either, he’s 25 by the time the season starts.

I didn’t see enough in general play to warrant paying a load for him.  He takes a wicked free-kick, granted.  I do think he’s good enough for the Championship, but I don’t think he pushes us to top-6.  LM does though.

On that last point though, Dave: just maybe it’s one of those situations where there’s that right chemistry between player and manager that’s not really quantifiable.

A bit like SOD and JET. GJ and Basso. And although @RoystonFoote'snephew may be right that he didn’t set the world alight at Burnley or Hull, it’s more about MK. L1 granted, but good enough to secure a big money move.

A part of that must be about a match between players strengths and team’s style. Kasey Palmer being a recent example I guess. Sometimes it goes a bit beyond that too.

I agree with the basic point you’re making, of course. Although at our level I’m not sure any one player is ever the difference: I’d probably see him as one of 2 or 3 that can be that difference. But also, there’s a lot in football that’s about belief, and confidence. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

On that last point though, Dave: just maybe it’s one of those situations where there’s that right chemistry between player and manager that’s not really quantifiable.

A bit like SOD and JET. GJ and Basso. And although @RoystonFoote'snephew may be right that he didn’t set the world alight at Burnley or Hull, it’s more about MK. L1 granted, but good enough to secure a big money move.

A part of that must be about a match between players strengths and team’s style. Kasey Palmer being a recent example I guess. Sometimes it goes a bit beyond that too.

I agree with the basic point you’re making, of course. Although at our level I’m not sure any one player is ever the difference: I’d probably see him as one of 2 or 3 that can be that difference. But also, there’s a lot in football that’s about belief, and confidence. 

Completely ID.

If he signs, I hope he is exactly that.  It’s clear LM wants him.  I’m sure Burnley know that too! 👀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But he’s under no obligation to agree to go to League 1 even if Birmingham offered £50m for him ! 

Excuse my ignorance guys but just how much do players receive our of transfer deals, is it a set % (if any) or is it individual settlements?.

I should know this but perhaps the years have caught up & failing grey matter :dunno:

19 hours ago, petehinton said:

It does, but I think there may be a bit of “well he really wants to go, they really want him, if we agree X it gets this all over and done with early and we can focus on more important stuff” type vibes 

But does he really want to come here? We only have Tinnions word for that. We know that Tinnion likes to big things up. He may be interested in coming here but I'm not sure it would be a certainty even if we could agree a fee. 

The lad may want to see if the new manager at Burnley will give him a chance. There may be other clubs higher in the table interested in him. He may think he has a better chance of getting to the prem with Brum. Who knows. I just don't think it's as simple as Tinnion makes out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bpexile said:

Excuse my ignorance guys but just how much do players receive our of transfer deals, is it a set % (if any) or is it individual settlements?.

I should know this but perhaps the years have caught up & failing grey matter :dunno:

Completely individual settlement negotiated by the agent . Usually a signing on fee with terms around image rights etc . Never a % of the fee as with out of contract players they have greater scope to negotiate a bigger signing on fee where there’s no transfer fee involved . 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

I think there used to be…5% iirc (might’ve been 10% at one point)?  But can’t find any reference to it.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think there used to be…5% iirc (might’ve been 10% at one point)?  But can’t find any reference to it.

Definitely used to be 5% if the player hadn't requested a transfer, I don't know when that changed but it used to be cited as a reason for players not requesting a transfer.

• Thanks 3

Given that his inclusion as a starter in the side as was said to be X factor in the reversal of our fortunes. T'would be the most mid-table, unambitious, and altogether Bristol City thing we could do, to let him slip through our fingers.  

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

Given that his inclusion as a starter in the side as was said to be X factor in the reversal of our fortunes. T'would be the most mid-table, unambitious, and altogether Bristol City thing we could do, to let him slip through our fingers.  

Was it Twines inclusion or change of style / intent ?

(Could have been a combination, but not solely down to Twine)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But does he really want to come here? We only have Tinnions word for that. We know that Tinnion likes to big things up. He may be interested in coming here but I'm not sure it would be a certainty even if we could agree a fee. 

The lad may want to see if the new manager at Burnley will give him a chance. There may be other clubs higher in the table interested in him. He may think he has a better chance of getting to the prem with Brum. Who knows. I just don't think it's as simple as Tinnion makes out. 

In fairness, I think the chance to work under a manager who he knows will build the team around him, a manager who he played his best football under, a chance to move much closer to home & family, and maybe even a probable pay rise - I’d say we’d be his first choice if he was asked, and believe it was sir @Harry who has said he’s heard that Twine has asked to leave. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Was it Twines inclusion or change of style / intent ?

(Could have been a combination, but not solely down to Twine)

Could be, It's a game of opinions. My argument is that we would've had to change our style to make his inclusion worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

In fairness, I think the chance to work under a manager who he knows will build the team around him, a manager who he played his best football under, a chance to move much closer to home & family, and maybe even a probable pay rise - I’d say we’d be his first choice if he was asked, and believe it was sir @Harry who has said he’s heard that Twine has asked to leave. 

Apart from the highlighted bit an otherwise excellent post.

4 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i could be having a blonde moment but is the transfer window even open yet?

Nope, 14th June…but you can make a transfer anytime RS.  Just means you can’t “transfer” the registration until the window opens.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Hadn’t realised I’d been knighted. 
Thoroughly deserved, even if I do say so myself. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

But yes. I understand Twine has made it known to Burnley he wants to leave. 
I gather talks are ongoing about the fee. 
I don’t think we’ll pay £5m. 
Nowhere near that in fact. 
The £2.5m we were willing to spend on Azaz should give a fair idea as to how far we’d go, I reckon. 

Where I stand on it is that every penny spent over what could have been a compensation figure of about £250k when he was at Swindon on a free, is a penny wasted. 

I do do a fair bit of moaning generally, but only 2 things have ever REALLY REALLY annoyed me about our club. 
Not signing Matt Grimes for £300k when the opportunity was clear for a long time and not signing Twine of a free from Swindon. 
Both really annoyed me and I won’t ever forgive those responsible. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

The £2.5m we were willing to spend on Azaz should give a fair idea as to how far we’d go, I reckon. 

Where I stand on it is that every penny spent over what could have been a compensation figure of about £250k when he was at Swindon on a free, is a penny wasted. 

I do do a fair bit of moaning generally, but only 2 things have ever REALLY REALLY annoyed me about our club. 
Not signing Matt Grimes for £300k when the opportunity was clear for a long time and not signing Twine of a free from Swindon. 

So financially, it’s far more than we ever should pay. However, what he can offer our team/squad, does it go a long way to justifying his signing? Or in your opinion, do we walk away and look elsewhere?

to add to that list, we let Eze walk away from a trial. Clearly talent ID has been shocking in the not too distant past.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, BLRed said:

So financially, it’s far more than we ever should pay. However, what he can offer our team/squad, does it go a long way to justifying his signing? Or in your opinion, do we walk away and look elsewhere?

to add to that list, we let Eze walk away from a trial. Clearly talent ID has been shocking in the not too distant past.

Yea but to Eze’s own admission his trial game here was one of his worst performance ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though Harry - don't hold grudges my man, let it go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

Hilarious if people try and use him as an example of poor work, any trialist has to show clear reasoning that they are far better then what we have in the academy in that age group, especially for someone like Eze not from the area. Just because he’s gone on to be an excellent player nothing to say he was at that age, some players it clicks for later in the academy process. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’m sure it has been discussed on here before, but how far, if anywhere, did we get with signing Ollie Watkins when he was with Exeter and on loan with WSM?

• Sad 1

I’m confused @petehinton.

Why the ‘sad’ response.

Was this in relation to my question or are you ‘sad’ that we didn’t do anything/get anywhere.

I seem to recall it being mentioned that we never stood a chance with Ampadu due to his father’s connections with Chelsea, but OW?

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Hang on…..what’s happened to two pages worth of posts from this thread. Something fishy is going on.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Two threads merged.

The ‘fishy’ comments have been removed to form their own thread.

👍

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m confused @petehinton.

Why the ‘sad’ response.

Was this in relation to my question or are you ‘sad’ that we didn’t do anything/get anywhere.

I seem to recall it being mentioned that we never stood a chance with Ampadu due to his father’s connections with Chelsea, but OW?

Sad/crying response remembering what could’ve been!

My memory fails me, but IIRC we favoured Eliasson and focused more on trying to get him in vs Ollie. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I’m sure it has been discussed on here before, but how far, if anywhere, did we get with signing Ollie Watkins when he was with Exeter and on loan with WSM?

If I remember what I'd read, he was scouted & the report handed to the club with extremely high recommendation..

Apparently no action then taken.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If I remember what I'd read, he was scouted & the report handed to the club with extremely high recommendation..

We probably then signed marley watkins, or extended odowda!

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sad/crying response remembering what could’ve been!

My memory fails me, but IIRC we favoured Eliasson and focused more on trying to get him in vs Ollie. 

21 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Once again, I am relying on (a sometimes fading) memory, but I am pretty sure @Harry was very keen on him back in the day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

I think we're guilty of doing what Tinnion does and that's over egging things. 

Being realistic here Twines preference would be to stay at Burnley and play every week and get promoted with them. 

I'd take "Twine has told Burnley he wants to leave" with a huge pinch of salt. That's akin to a breach of contract and therefore he'd be giving up all bonuses etc by doing so.

Yes the lad is interested but he's also probably interested in a lot of other opportunities too. I don't think we're anywhere near the stage of him asking Burnley to leave in order to force a move. 

Manning demanded a quick resolution to the Conway situation but it seems we're happy to see how this one plays out. Personally I'd offer a max of 3 million including add ons and if rejected and or Twine wants some time to decide I'd move on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning demanded a quick resolution to the Conway situation but it seems we're happy to see how this one plays out.

Unfortunately he can demand the moon on a stick, but he’s not in the driving seat with Conway as it stands.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'd take "Twine has told Burnley he wants to leave" with a huge pinch of salt. That's akin to a breach of contract 

??? Telling them he wants to leave isn't a breach of anything.

Refusing to train &/or play would prob be a breach of contract but no indication he's done or will do either.

I'm ambivalent if he joins or not, but telling your employer you want to leave isn't a breach of anything.

I think a lot of players are (imo) over influenced by money, but I'm sure there are others that love playing & would rather be playing regularly & earning less.  Not sure any of us know Twine well enough to know his stance on this.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

??? Telling them he wants to leave isn't a breach of anything.

Refusing to train &/or play would prob be a breach of contract but no indication he's done or will do either.

I'm ambivalent if he joins or not, but telling your employer you want to leave isn't a breach of anything.

I think a lot of players are (imo) over influenced by money, but I'm sure there are others that love playing & would rather be playing regularly & earning less.  Not sure any of us know Twine well enough to know his stance on this.

Transfer requests, staples of the media world's August silly season, during the run-up to the equally silly transfer deadline day, can take many forms. They can, in theory, be verbal; they can be emails; they can be scrawled in blood on the back of a discarded season ticket. But, normally, they will be letters drafted by agents or legal representatives, with a player's signature at the bottom.

"You want it in writing, because a transfer request is essentially a breach of a player's contract," says Seligman.

"They can lead to payments becoming void, such as signing-on fees and loyalty bonuses, which are often paid over the course of a player's stay at a club. By signing that letter, a player is saying he is aware of that."

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I thought the story was that Exeter quoted us a higher price then Brentford because they thought down the line Brentford would lead to a higher sell on (good call on that one) but it’s the fact he was highlighted before that transfer battle that grates some that efforts weren’t made earlier to secure him before he was an obvious signing 

34 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Transfer requests, staples of the media world's August silly season, during the run-up to the equally silly transfer deadline day, can take many forms. They can, in theory, be verbal; they can be emails; they can be scrawled in blood on the back of a discarded season ticket. But, normally, they will be letters drafted by agents or legal representatives, with a player's signature at the bottom.

"You want it in writing, because a transfer request is essentially a breach of a player's contract," says Seligman.

"They can lead to payments becoming void, such as signing-on fees and loyalty bonuses, which are often paid over the course of a player's stay at a club. By signing that letter, a player is saying he is aware of that."

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but to me, saying you want to leave, isn't a breach of contract, it's telling the other party that you want to breach the contract.

Edited by TDarwall
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

A formal written request is very different to saying in a meeting/over the phone “I’d be up for leaving” 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A formal written request is very different to saying in a meeting/over the phone “I’d be up for leaving” 

It literally says above that it can be verbal. Soon as he says to Burnley "I'd be up for leaving" they'll be looking at is as a breach of contract and Twine giving up all the bonuses etc. Of course they will, they are a multi million pound company. All this will be written in the contracts anyways. 

It works both ways. If Scott Twine didn't want to leave Burnley but they wanted rid then they'd still be liable for all those bonus and I believe if he earned less than his current wage then they'd have to make the difference up. Not 100% sure on that one though.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It literally says above that it can be verbal. Soon as he says to Burnley "I'd be up for leaving" they'll be looking at is as a breach of contract and Twine giving up all the bonuses etc. Of course they will, they are a multi million pound company. All this will be written in the contracts anyways. 

It works both ways. If Scott Twine didn't want to leave Burnley but they wanted rid then they'd still be liable for all those bonus and I believe if he earned less than his current wage then they'd have to make the difference up. Not 100% sure on that one though.

Try and prove that. One word against the other.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That's interesting. Is it vice versa when the club initiates a transfer by agreeing that another club can speak to their player?

Think people are getting excited for the wrong reasons on this thread. Twine was shipped out on loan last year, and Burnley would have sold him in January if a valuation was met. They clearly don't see him as a player they want to keep, and relegation wont have changed that. I doubt very much, they would be looking at breach of contract if he has suggested he would like to be sold, and a move suits both parties. Twine will be looking for the best deal he can get, and Burnley will be looking for the best deal they can get. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I doubt that..
It's all done through the agents anyway. He probably doesn't say anything directly to the club for that very reason.
His agent will probably have the conversation with the Burnley CEO and will say subject to agreement, my client would be prepared to move clubs. There would be exploratory talks regarding bonuses and loyalty payments and subject to a satisfactory gents agreement he would then put a request in.
I remember someone explaining that on Sky sports news a few years ago when asked about how tapping up works. It's all done behind the scenes and only becomes formal once an agreement in principle is arrived at. These deals are always complicated so there's no point pursuing anything unless there's a nod and a wink it could go through.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I get that but a verbal agreement is still a binding contract.

Good luck trying to prove a verbal contract without some other type of proof i.e emails, witnesses ect to provide context.

Edited by RedRoss

19 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Try and prove that. One word against the other.

Then it's buisness as usual and he remains a Burnley player unless they decide to sell him. In that situation the breach of contract then flips the other way. 

The original suggestion was "Twine has told Burnley he wants to leave" that's essentially a transfer request. If he's gone to the chairman and said it himself then the chairman is going to say "put it in writing" to protect the interests of Burnley. They may want to sell him too. They may come to an mutual agreement. They may be happy that Twine has asked to leave as they wanted to sell anyways but as he's asked to leave then they get to save themselves some money. 

It could be that Twine has said to us (or another interested club) "Burnley don't want to shift on their fee, I may be able to force the issue by telling them I want to leave, however by doing so I'd be giving up 100k as they'd consider that a breach of contract, if I do that, will you agree to pay me that 100k I'd be losing out on" 

Football contracts are incredibly complicated. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I get that but a verbal agreement is still a binding contract.

I think otib are over complicating this. 

If he's asked Burnley to leave, even if it's only verbally then when it gets to the point of the transfer happening, Burnley are going to say "We didn't breach any contract with you, you're the one that's asked to leave so unless you agree to give up your bonuses etc then we're not selling you" 

Simple as that really. 

But 'if' Twine has asked to leave, it's likely been doing through his agent where there is a paper trail, so essentially a transfer request. 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If he's asked Burnley to leave, even if it's only verbally then when it gets to the point of the transfer happening, Burnley are going to say "We didn't breach any contract with you, you're the one that's asked to leave so unless you agree to give up your bonuses etc then we're not selling you" 

Simple as that really. 

But 'if' Twine has asked to leave, it's likely been doing through his agent where there is a paper trail, so essentially a transfer request. 

Think the initial wording clouds it 'I'm open to leaving' is very different to 'I want to leave', club could merely be asking the player if he's interested in going somewhere as to whether its worth their time negotiating with the club if the player would just turn around and say no otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Simple as that really. 

….or they say “we’ll continue to pay the bonus clauses to you, but we’ll ask Bristol City to cover it by asking a higher fee”.

I’m not gonna argue the legality of written v verbal (not my area of expertise - what is?), but the old fashioned “he’s put in a written transfer request” terminology was in effect a player acknowledging he was giving up his contract bonuses.

I still recall an ex-City player telling me know he was still due some money from his old club because they’d transferred him to City, he hadn’t asked to leave.  This was very early 90s, and I had no idea it happened or whether it was true, until I saw the money hit his account!

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Think the initial wording clouds it 'I'm open to leaving' is very different to 'I want to leave', club could merely be asking the player if he's interested in going somewhere as to whether its worth their time negotiating with the club if the player would just turn around and say no otherwise. 

didnt we once agree to sell maynard to someone only for him to say 'i aint going there'?