IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

6 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Honestly, really up in the air at this point. There’s interest, and a very public desire to sell. But it depends on how quickly they’re prepared to make it move.

Oh dear from the time this morning when everything broke to now things looking less and less positive, no resolution on Conway, nothing happening on Twine and now other clubs in for McNally. A very Bristol city day 😕

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Oh dear from the time this morning when everything broke to now things looking less and less positive, no resolution on Conway, nothing happening on Twine and now other clubs in for McNally. A very Bristol city day 😕

Did you really think it was all gonna tied up today?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Did you really think it was all gonna tied up today?

Of course not but you hope for progress on things don’t you. Not at the start of the day having something break that 3 things could happen and by the end them all being unlikely

Just now, Bcfc24 said:

Of course not but you hope for progress on things don’t you. Not at the start of the day having something break that 3 things could happen and by the end them all being unlikely

Progress doesn’t always get reported.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Progress doesn’t always get reported.

Fingers crossed it’s all better than Ron is reporting and what’s out there regarding Twine and McNally. Don’t want these sagas going beyond the start of the season really… massively unwanted distractions 

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Fingers crossed it’s all better than Ron is reporting and what’s out there regarding Twine and McNally. Don’t want these sagas going beyond the start of the season really… massively unwanted distractions 

The club wanted these done before preseason!!!

Would not surprise me if this goes well into August as more suitors have a sniff!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with the thrust of Joe’s two earlier posts.

This bit is the big outstanding / unknown.

Imho we are about to lose our best striker. Time will tell whether we can replace him, and it’s not just goals.

Had things been different, id have liked to have seen Tommy with Sinclair.

Our best striker really!!Outside of a few penalties he did absolutely nothing and his effort and demeanour  looked questionable Armstrong will have a far greater affect on the games this coming  season. I  would swap him for Twine in a heartbeat.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 6

• Admin
4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Our best striker really!!Outside of a few penalties he did absolutely nothing and his effort and demeanour  looked questionable Armstrong will have a far greater affect on the games this coming  season. I  would swap him for Twine in a heartbeat.

I am genuinely intrigued Orange500, is there anything under the control of the club you wish was better?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

It’s called an opinion.

Good for you and yours!

16 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Gone very quiet all this debate and these reports could be aload of utter bollocks 😂

Ian Gay is quiet…….well apart for his passion for politics both in the UK and US! 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

The wndow should shut before the first game is played!!

We tried that and other european countries didn't like it so we left ourselves exposed to foreign clubs making late moves in the window unable to replace players. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We tried that and other european countries didn't like it so we left ourselves exposed to foreign clubs making late moves in the window unable to replace players. 

We did, but if FIFA aligned worldwide it would be fine.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

The wndow should shut before the first game is played!!

If it was we could be left short handed albeit I don't mind the idea too much us aside. It gives a certain continuity and can encourage clubs to get business done quickly, efficiently etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah…his passion for “politics”…

Nothing more sexy than a strong, independent and confident woman.  Hang on, the wife's calling me - back in a minute....

• Haha 9

18 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

I don’t think it is a crazy opinion. What you have to say though, is Conway is our most proven forward at this level for goals. It is okay to be concerned about replacing his goals. 

With the forwards in now, swapping Conway and Twine makes a lot of sense. 

I do think SA will make more of an impact for goals than TC did. May not even show up in stats for him like goals and assists. However, drawing fouls in and around the penalty area. Taking on and beating defenders with the ball. Stretching defenses with his pace and power. I’m looking for more impact from SA. FM I hope gets comfortable quickly  and he takes the goal scoring responsibility. Hopeful for sure but they look like players who should be comfortable at this level at some point. 

• Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

However, drawing fouls in and around the penalty area

Purely on stats he gets fouled 1.2 times per game and commits 1.9 per game.  But I’m quite pleased he’s played centrally preseason.  I think he’s more use to us down the middle, or at least inside the lines of the 18-yard box.  Any fouls he earns there are worth “double” imho.

• Like 2

Is it too wild a thought to think that Wells could fill the number 10 role until january if needed.

Him & SA seem to have linked up well in pre season, I dont think it would be that much of a disaster, maybe a blessing in disguise, I also think Knight could play the ten role if need be.

Im unusually optimistic for this season, Ive got a feeling we maybe will be in the mix come what may fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Is it too wild a thought to think that Wells could fill the number 10 role until january if needed.

Him & SA seem to have linked up well in pre season, I dont think it would be that much of a disaster, maybe a blessing in disguise, I also think Knight could play the ten role if need be.

Im unusually optimistic for this season, Ive got a feeling we maybe will be in the mix come what may fingers crossed.

Yes. You’re suggesting playing a striker in the number 10 and then a midfielder who is one of our best players out of position. Wells did fine against league two teams. It’s a totally different scenario.

If we are to use one of the squad I’d rather try and develop Stokes 

As I said on the match thread, we tried four different people in the “10” today. One week before the season starts, that’s mental. It’s Twine or bust as far as the club are concerned and again, if I was at Turf Moor and saw the head coach here try four players in the role that the guy they want to buy plays, I’d possibly even put my price up further!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yes. You’re suggesting playing a striker in the number 10 and then a midfielder who is one of our best players out of position. Wells did fine against league two teams. It’s a totally different scenario.

As I said on the match thread, we tried four different people in the “10” today. One week before the season starts, that’s mental. It’s Twine or bust as far as the club are concerned and again, if I was at Turf Moor and saw the head coach here try four players in the role that the guy they want to buy plays, I’d possibly even put my price up further!

You're making it sound like signing a creative number 10 in lieu of Twine is a piece of piss. It's surely not that easy?! 

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Still yet to see a realistic alternative get suggested on here. Agree we’ve handled negotiations terribly but there doesn’t seem to be another option.

Just now, KegCity said:

Still yet to see a realistic alternative get suggested on here. Agree we’ve handled negotiations terribly but there doesn’t seem to be another option.

Then either buy him at the price we’ve been quoted for six months or don’t build a system that needs him with no other alternatives innit? 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

Well we’re certainly not making it appear so!

Well, what do you think? Where would you have turned? Or without a creative midfielder how would you shape up?

Edited by mozo

Then either buy him at the price we’ve been quoted for six months or don’t build a system that needs him with no other alternatives innit? 

Agreed, unfortunately going to have to bite the bullet and pay the fee.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

There are loads of options!!!

It’s not our job, is the simple (lazy?) answer.  Brian Tinnion tells us we have alternative and cheaper options.  OTIB isn’t running talent id!

The likelihood of us shopping in Europe or even Asia makes fans reach / knowledge of suitable players within our market much more difficult to name.

If we are looking at home, then several names have been rattled off in various threads as decent options, but nobody is saying them with much conviction, because we think we are shopping abroad.

If we suddenly see a home based name hit the media, it’s pretty likely someone has mentioned it this summer.

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s the “biggest bit innit”.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well, what do you think? Where would you have turned? Or without a creative midfielder how would you shape up?

First things first - I wouldn’t buy Twine. End of. His loan spell didn’t warrant it in any way, and the fact we’ve spent all summer chasing him is farcical.

As for other creative midfielders, the club have plan B, plan C etc. I’m man enough to say I’d no idea who Yu or Fally were before we signed them - so the club will have other midfielders on the list - and your scenario is that Scott Twine is literally the only creative midfielder around. 

As to how I’d shape up with what we have (which I think is lacking going forward with or without Twine), I do think the personnel suits probably a 3 at the back best, so probably a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. Again, formations are fluid though. I know that I’d want Max, Rob, Zak, Cam, Sykes, Haydon, Bird, Knight in the side but I’d have to seriously think on the other three (assuming TC is gone)

• Like 2

Just now, Davefevs said:

It’s not our job, is the simple (lazy?) answer.  Brian Tinnion tells us we have alternative and cheaper options.  OTIB isn’t running talent id!

I'm chipping in because of crossover with exhange with SD...

But you and I know that the reality (let's live in the real world) is that signing the suitable player is really hard when you don't have a big budget.

In terms of that creative player, it's been a long term problem for previous regimes. Paterson, Palmer, Tomlin... none of then really worked out, but they all had something that this squad doesn't have.

I'm ambivalent about Tinnion, but what's wrong with saying well move on to a plan B? He's not saying "I guarantee a world class player shall be signed by July". He's just saying that we've got a list to work from.

1 minute ago, Bcfc24 said:

Another wanna be ITK exposed, think they should be kicked from the forum every time a prediction is BS 👀

I think you should just chill and stop getting upset about it. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The likelihood of us shopping in Europe or even Asia makes fans reach / knowledge of suitable players within our market much more difficult to name.

If we are looking at home, then several names have been rattled off in various threads as decent options, but nobody is saying them with much conviction, because we think we are shopping abroad.

If we suddenly see a home based name hit the media, it’s pretty likely someone has mentioned it this summer.

That’s the “biggest bit innit”.

Such as?

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

First things first - I wouldn’t buy Twine. End of. His loan spell didn’t warrant it in any way, and the fact we’ve spent all summer chasing him is farcical.

As for other creative midfielders, the club have plan B, plan C etc. I’m man enough to say I’d no idea who Yu or Fally were before we signed them - so the club will have other midfielders on the list - and your scenario is that Scott Twine is literally the only creative midfielder around. 

As to how I’d shape up with what we have (which I think is lacking going forward with or without Twine), I do think the personnel suits probably a 3 at the back best, so probably a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. Again, formations are fluid though. I know that I’d want Max, Rob, Zak, Cam, Sykes, Haydon, Bird, Knight in the side but I’d have to seriously think on the other three (assuming TC is gone)

I'm not saying that Twine is the only option, although the fact that the coaches have seen him in training a hundred times and know his characteristics (ie the stuff that you and I dont see), and on that basis see his value, then it makes sense that he is target no 1. It also makes sense that we're being patient given we know he wants to be here IF a deal can be made.

Like you say, there will be a plan a, b and c. But, every signing has complications, and us sneering from the sidelines doesn't make it any easier for the club to make deals happen. 

In your and my supporting eras, that Cotterill summer of 2014 was the only year whereby we secured everything we needed for a balanced squad. 

Since then it has been hit and miss, but this isn't champ man!

• Like 1

Today summed up what we already knew, **** me do we need him/another other 10 to have any chance of a better season. 

Real problem now is, it HAS to be him. Not a chance can we bring some unknown quantity, with no pre season with us, in now. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm chipping in because of crossover with exhange with SD...

But you and I know that the reality (let's live in the real world) is that signing the suitable player is really hard when you don't have a big budget.

In terms of that creative player, it's been a long term problem for previous regimes. Paterson, Palmer, Tomlin... none of then really worked out, but they all had something that this squad doesn't have.

I'm ambivalent about Tinnion, but what's wrong with saying well move on to a plan B? He's not saying "I guarantee a world class player shall be signed by July". He's just saying that we've got a list to work from.

Might be me, but I’m not sure I’m understanding your point here, sorry.

On the last bit I’ve bolded…nothing is wrong, I wish that’s exactly what he’d done…back in May / June…or even January 😉

33 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Such as?

Here’s one:

Juninho Bacuna.

You can have one from Japan too if you like.

Taisei Miyashiro.

The rest of the names are scattered throughout various threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree with the eight you name. I was disappointed with Bell today, he had little influence. Mehmeti was his usual self, nice touches but no final impact. The small amount of time Fally was on the pitch he looked good and had the best chance of scoring. Stokes had even less time but showed promise. For me Bird was MoM. Armstrong’s final touch needs working on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Im simply trying to put square pegs in round holes, and those 2 and Stokes are the probably the best fit, although agreed not much of a fit. but we dont seem to want to pay the rate that Burnley want for Twine & with Bird coming in for James, & us seemingly shopping in European Netto it seems that this window has been more about cutting costs than pushing forward.

So less than a week to go and still no #10, this is so Bristol City, until the ownership changes nothing positive will be achieved on the field.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm not saying that Twine is the only option, although the fact that the coaches have seen him in training a hundred times and know his characteristics (ie the stuff that you and I dont see), and on that basis see his value, then it makes sense that he is target no 1. It also makes sense that we're being patient given we know he wants to be here IF a deal can be made.

Like you say, there will be a plan a, b and c. But, every signing has complications, and us sneering from the sidelines doesn't make it any easier for the club to make deals happen. 

In your and my supporting eras, that Cotterill summer of 2014 was the only year whereby we secured everything we needed for a balanced squad. 

Since then it has been hit and miss, but this isn't champ man!

Sorry, not being rude, been out.

I think the “bits” for me are these:

- Shockingly, I have no issue in them making Twine number one target. I don’t think he’s the answer but it’s their club, as we’re often told

- With respect, what they see that we don’t in training and in respect of characteristics is a nice to have (and I wholeheartedly support a “no *********” policy). He can help old ladies cross the road, none of it matters if he doesn’t do it on the pitch - and he didn’t for us, and at this level, he hasn’t.

- I don’t think commenting on an internet forum makes the clubs job more difficult. If anything, the posts of “PLEASE CITY SIGN TWINE” incessantly on Twitter make the clubs job more difficult as they speak to the club “wanting” him

- And the “biggest bit” is that, rightly or wrongly, they made him target number one. They also said they’d move to B,C,D if he didn’t happen. In the meantime, we’ve signed players in front of that number 10 (whomever that may be) who per Liam himself are a different profile and we’re playing differently. So even if ST gets over the line, he has bedding in time.

So, bottom line. They wanted him. They made that clear. They didn’t want to pay the price. They didn’t move onto plan b,c,d. And I have sympathy with Liam - the one player he wanted he hasn’t got, and the club should have delivered him if he was that vital. Where I have no sympathy is Liam building a system where nobody but Scott Twine seems to make us work.

What the bloody hell happens if he ruptures his Achilles after he joins us?!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Today summed up what we already knew, **** me do we need him/another other 10 to have any chance of a better season. 

Real problem now is, it HAS to be him. Not a chance can we bring some unknown quantity, with no pre season with us, in now. 

And Tinnion wanted it done before pre-season.  Baffling how the priority position hasn’t been filled a week before we kick off and also massively concerning that we still look like a side who will struggle to break sides down. Fasten the belts! 

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

So, bottom line. They wanted him. They made that clear. They didn’t want to pay the price. They didn’t move onto plan b,c,d. And I have sympathy with Liam - the one player he wanted he hasn’t got, and the club should have delivered him if he was that vital. Where I have no sympathy is Liam building a system where nobody but Scott Twine seems to make us work.

the thing that gets me in all this is BT and JL got the man they saw who they think can take us to the next level. they have failed in backing him with the man he wants to build his squad around instead so far giving him a bunch of hopeful punts that may or may not succeed with us.

as for ST rupturing his acl, that would be on Liam to sort out how to get round it but at least he would have been backed fully and probably has an idea who he sees best fit in that role should it arise.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Might be me, but I’m not sure I’m understanding your point here, sorry.

Most people say that to me!

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sorry, not being rude, been out.

I'm just glad you said if, not when! Err...Benarous?!

@Davefevs, @Silvio Dante and also @petehinton I contradict you boys a lot, but nothing but respect for all of you. I look forward to us all celebrating promotion in 9 months time, with new signing Mebude scoring the goal that clinches the title 🤣:city:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, jjcarrera1974 said:

I got a selfie with Liam and quick chat at the game today , asked him to get Twine signed up , and he said “I’m trying!” 🙂

IMG_0898.jpeg

nice moment for you, im taking to him more and more as time goes on,taking time for selfies shows he cares about the fans aswell👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

nice moment for you, im taking to him more and more as time goes on,taking time for selfies shows he cares about the fans aswell👍

Just being pedantic. That's great outside the ground or in the local supermarket. Not great when you're working during your last important pre season game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1