IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Thought Ian’s words on FBC podcast were interesting, he said ‘you can’t negotiate with someone who doesn’t want to negotiate’. Now he meant it about Burnley with Twine’s price, but really isn’t it city…. Burnley set a price… supposedly £4m or so, City went to them earlier this summer and undoubtedly would have revealed our highest price. Well city can’t go up anymore but in theory Burnley can still come down, Burnley could easily turn around and say okay 3 or 3.5m and he’s yours, it’s city here who will then say sorry we’re at our max offer, so really ian’s words describe city more than Burnley. Burnley can’t negotiate with us because we’re at our max offer and they know it. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He came out with some corkers. 

"All want the deal to happen apart from Burnley" 

"Burnley don't want to negotiate"

"Burnley hold all the cards" 

Has he forgot that he is Burnleys player at that it's up to them if they want to sell or not and at what fee? 

Bristol City / Brian Tinnion Propaganda, that is all.

Do they think that Burnley give two shits whether they are seen by City fans to be the “bad eggs” in this potential deal?  Of course they don’t.  So City / Tinnion are trying to deflect a situation they’ve created themselves.

I very much suspect Burnley might have budged of their £4m valuation, but City had to also.

Admirable negotiation you might say.

But as per FBC’s pod, Ian keeps his £900k in his pocket and @headhunter’s £1.2m house (I’ve heard that’s just the staff living quarters!!!) remains Dave’s house.

It matters not whether Dave has got other suitors, Ian hasn’t got the money.  He’ll have to spend his £900k on an alternative option.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I keep reading that on here i.e Twine wants to come here. Does he ? Has anyone actually heard him say that ? 

I've been wondering the same - it's a narrative that feels slightly overexaggerated.

I recall @cheddarwedlocker posted a screenshot supposedly showing a message from Twine's agent, who I believe claimed that Twine "just wants to play regular football".

I think Twine probably does feel positive about the idea of coming to us, but people often miss out a key caveat: Twine wants to come to us.......provided he won't start many games at Burnley and doesn't have any better offers available to him.

In fairness, it looks like both of those things are true.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think Twine probably does feel positive about the idea of coming to us, but people often miss out a key caveat: Twine wants to come to us.......provided he won't start many games at Burnley and doesn't have any better offers available to him.

Boom 💥

Been saying the same all summer.

Shock, horror, footballer on loan says he really likes it here, when all he’s doing is keeping all his options open.  If Coventry came in for him as O’Hare’s replacement, he’d be off there wouldn’t he.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Boom 💥

Been saying the same all summer.

Shock, horror, footballer on loan says he really likes it here, when all he’s doing is keeping all his options open.  If Coventry came in for him as O’Hare’s replacement, he’d be off there wouldn’t he.

Agree and if he really, really wanted out and to be here he could have/would have forced it by now. Burnley wouldn’t want him kicking around the place unhappy and something would get sort. That’s not happened. He’ll want to be playing a decent amount of football at the best standard possible and earning good money… staying at Burnley and getting game time would be his best scenario. Burnley are almost guaranteed a promotion push, we are far more likely to be fumbling around in mid-table.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Agree and if he really, really wanted out and to be here he could have/would have forced it by now. Burnley wouldn’t want him kicking around the place unhappy and something would get sort. That’s not happened. He’ll want to be playing a decent amount of football at the best standard possible and earning good money… staying at Burnley and getting game time would be his best scenario. Burnley are almost guaranteed a promotion push, we are far more likely to be fumbling around in mid-table.  

I think if Twine really wants this done, him and his agent will have to push it this week (FWIW I’m not sure he wants to come as much as some make out and I don’t think he’ll rock the boat at Burnley), surely if the season starts and we still don’t have a 10 we will start looking elsewhere and putting the feelers out for who’s available 

Just go get a sodding attacking midfielder who isn't afraid to run behind off Armstrong or Mayulu.

Twine ain't the answer for me. Just going to be a lot of playing in front of teams keeping the ball and passive Manningball again if we don't have midfield players who are willing to make the runs to support the striker.

Twine would be good for the set pieces and some clever passes but he isn't someone who is going to stretch teams and move defences about.

Can see that Bird has a bit of that in him from his alien foray in the 10 against Willem but we need a bit more. 

Knight is good for the engine room but he ain't no creator of goals, he can get in to decent positions but isn't a clinical finisher.

Williams, Bird and Knight moving the ball side to side is fine when you wanna keep possession but if you want to break teams down we need something a little more, a bit more bravery. 

TGH does have a bit of that about him but I don't think he gets a run of starts with the options Manning likes to pick. Can't fault his endeavours and can drive with the ball when he gets the space 

I just have a feeling we'll get Twine at the end of the window and go back to wingbacks with Twine on the left of a front three, don't want to see that again. Way too passive, flat and easy to read.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

we really are run by a bunch of clueless dimwits arent we.  just suppose leeds came in for Anis, hello Brian,how much do you want for Anis.

brian, 5 million

leeds,we value him at 2m

brian,well you know where to go then..

why cant they see it works both ways

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

42 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Just go get a sodding attacking midfielder who isn't afraid to run behind off Armstrong or Mayulu.

Twine ain't the answer for me. Just going to be a lot of playing in front of teams keeping the ball and passive Manningball again if we don't have midfield players who are willing to make the runs to support the striker.

Twine would be good for the set pieces and some clever passes but he isn't someone who is going to stretch teams and move defences about.

Can see that Bird has a bit of that in him from his alien foray in the 10 against Willem but we need a bit more. 

Knight is good for the engine room but he ain't no creator of goals, he can get in to decent positions but isn't a clinical finisher.

Williams, Bird and Knight moving the ball side to side is fine when you wanna keep possession but if you want to break teams down we need something a little more, a bit more bravery. 

TGH does have a bit of that about him but I don't think he gets a run of starts with the options Manning likes to pick. Can't fault his endeavours and can drive with the ball when he gets the space 

I just have a feeling we'll get Twine at the end of the window and go back to wingbacks with Twine on the left of a front three, don't want to see that again. Way too passive, flat and easy to read.

I’m kinda with you Profit (prophet?).

And if we were I’d be looking at someone  very different. Someone like a Harvey Knibbs, a runner, a Weimann funnily enough. 

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I keep reading that on here i.e Twine wants to come here. Does he ? Has anyone actually heard him say that ? 

I think he does, he’s a Wiltshire lad & pretty sure he’d rather be here than in the North.

However as has been articulated by others above, it’s completely irrelevant if Burnley won’t sell at a price we are willing to pay.

1 hour ago, Bcfc24 said:

I think if Twine really wants this done, him and his agent will have to push it this week (FWIW I’m not sure he wants to come as much as some make out and I don’t think he’ll rock the boat at Burnley), surely if the season starts and we still don’t have a 10 we will start looking elsewhere and putting the feelers out for who’s available 

That’s my point really and if Twine really, really wanted it (as some suggest) he and his agent would have pushed this weeks ago, not leave it this late. 
I think, like virtually all footballers, he’ll got to the best standard he can on the best wage he can. He’s in and around the Burnley squad so why not stay? I bet a promotion on the cv (and bonus) sounds interesting to him…. He ain’t getting that here! 
Oh and I’m still not convinced he’s the answer to all our problems… I think he’s ok…. But he’s being hyped out of all proportion. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And if we were I’d be looking at someone  very different. Someone like a Harvey Knibbs, a runner, a Weimann funnily enough. 

My gut feel is that Manning would prefer a "schemer" to a "runner". Having said that, Sinclair Amrstrong - power & pace but less control/composure isn't what I'd see as a classic Manning type either.

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

My gut feel is that Manning would prefer a "schemer" to a "runner". Having said that, Sinclair Amrstrong - power & pace but less control/composure isn't what I'd see as a classic Manning type either.

💯 Tone

50 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

we really are run by a bunch of clueless dimwits arent we.  just suppose leeds came in for Anis, hello Brian,how much do you want for Anis.

brian, 5 million

leeds,we value him at 2m

brian,well you know where to go then..

why cant they see it works both ways

You really think that our management don't know this? This is the way that all football transfers are negotiated.

4 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

You really think that our management don't know this? This is the way that all football transfers are negotiated.

Okay then.

What is the incentive for Burnley to be dropping the price..Twine minimum can still be a useful squad player if needed albeit their squad itself is huge.

The McNally and Twine for Conway transaction is an interesting one which could break the impasse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Having said that, Sinclair Amrstrong - power & pace but less control/composure isn't what I'd see as a classic Manning type either.

Indeed. Which is why we were trying to sign an established goalscorer from Croatia or France.

And when that fell through... we went for something completely different because that's what we can afford.

Doesn't smack of a joined up plan to me. But if you're given peanuts to spend, I guess that's what you end up doing.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay then.

What is the incentive for Burnley to be dropping the price..Twine minimum can still be a useful squad player if needed albeit their squad itself is huge.

The McNally and Twine for Conway transaction is an interesting one which could break the impasse.

There might be no incentive for Burnley to drop the price. And they might not sell. But none of this makes Bristol City clueless dimwits. This kind of thing happens all the time. If we don't get Twine we will go for 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice. I don't understand what gets people so upset about transfers.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Pugofwar said:

There might be no incentive for Burnley to drop the price. And they might not sell. But none of this makes Bristol City clueless dimwits. This kind of thing happens all the time. If we don't get Twine we will go for 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice. I don't understand what gets people so upset about transfers.

What makes us clueless dimwits is that we knew the price in January. We then took him on loan in the hope Burnley would then shift on their price in the summer. They didn't. 

We've spent all summer chasing a player we can't afford. 

We haven't gone for our other choices tho have we? Less than a week til the season starts and it appears we are still fixated on Twine, despite not being able to afford him. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

We seem to be a bit besotted wirh Twine, proactively going for another or 2 at the same time could focus the mind.

Millar e.g. or Swift.

I also see the pros..knows the League reasonably well, knows the Club for 6 months at least- albeit tactically fitting in behind Sinclair or Fally vs Conway is different. Manning knows and rates him.

Winning fouls can be quite important but not a gamechanger.

3 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

At what point do we go for 2nd , 3rd or 4th choices? There's 4 weeks left of the window and I would expect us to have sounded out a 2nd choice, perhaps 3rd already - fair assumption?  With leaks in the network highly likely that it would appear even if disguised, "unnamed C'ship club have expressed and interest in ...."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed. Which is why we were trying to sign an established goalscorer from Croatia or France.

And when that fell through... we went for something completely different because that's what we can afford.

Doesn't smack of a joined up plan to me. But if you're given peanuts to spend, I guess that's what you end up doing.

SL has been known in the past to stick in £15-20m in equity a season. This is for Cash Losses not Profit and Loss. Or £10-15m at least.

Based on the recent past this he would like to reduce it to £5-10m a year. Therefore while we are miles within FFP, it means we need to make the Cash we do have or that is put in go further. It's disappointing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 minutes ago, Pugofwar said:

given how long this has been going on, you really do have to wonder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I like an attacking midfielder (hate saying a 10) who drifts about, doubles up on the wings, runs beyond defenders and finds spaces in behind or makes space for teammates - I don't think Twine is that guy at all. 

Defender's don't liked to be moved around and track runners, if we let the opposition sit rigid in their back 4 or 5 and play in front of them it'll be easy street to defend against us, we've been like it for years - countless times we've struggled to break teams down at home over various managers.

Take some risks! You don't have to be super skillful or a 'technician' to cause problems for teams. 

I was never Weimann's biggest fan, always admired his workrate and his first time finishing in the box but I can't deny we would be better off with him in the 10 behind Armstrong or Mayulu.

I'd prefer Wells there over Twine as it stands right now. At least he could peel off whatever striker we pick alongside him and he's more than adept and experienced at finding gaps for himself to score.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I like an attacking midfielder (hate saying a 10) who drifts about, doubles up on the wings, runs beyond defenders and finds spaces in behind or makes space for teammates - I don't think Twine is that guy at all. 

Defender's don't liked to be moved around and track runners, if we let the opposition sit rigid in their back 4 or 5 and play in front of them it'll be easy street to defend against us, we've been like it for years - countless times we've struggled to break teams down at home over various managers.

Take some risks! You don't have to be super skillful or a 'technician' to cause problems for teams. 

I was never Weimann's biggest fan, always admired his workrate and his first time finishing in the box but I can't deny we would be better off with him in the 10 behind Armstrong or Mayulu.

I'd prefer Wells there over Twine as it stands right now. At least he could peel off whatever striker we pick alongside him and he's more than adept and experienced at finding gaps for himself to score.

Amen Prophet Profit! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

So in case of doubt….LM wants a no10 of a Scott Twine type, if Scott Twine or someone else.  He wants someone to slide balls in behind.  We can now judge on this.  Not just the no10 but the suitability of the forwards brought in too, because they have been recruited to play with that type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So in case of doubt….LM wants a no10 of a Scott Twine type, if Scott Twine or someone else.  He wants someone to slide balls in behind.  We can now judge on this.  Not just the no10 but the suitability of the forwards brought in too, because they have been recruited to play with that type.

Not a great listen, Yu ankle not great, 10 not close, Conway wants to leave the club (full stop it seems), Atkinson out for two weeks……is it May yet?! 

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t really think Armstrong or Fally fit that profile to match up🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s been an odd summer to say the least.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not a great listen, Yu ankle not great, 10 not close, Conway wants to leave the club (full stop it seems), Atkinson out for two weeks……is it May yet?! 

How much of that is actually a surprise?

Atkinson maybe? 

Until the Conway situation gets resolved I think we are going with what we have (I’m completely fine with that, by the way).

• Like 4

Realistically, this is hardly an injury crisis. We're pretty well stocked for centre backs so, the biggest loss is Hirakawa. (Murphy just a young prospect). 

We start the season with a highly motivated young squad, full of potential. Let's see if they can realise that potential in the here and now.

The Conway/Twine sagas are frustrating, but the club isn't going to grind to a halt. On Saturday the fight begins. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

From what I’ve seen so far, I don’t really think Armstrong or Fally fit that profile to match up🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s been an odd summer to say the least.

They're both very quick to be fair. Wouldn't that be a requirement if passes are being slid through?

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

They're both very quick to be fair. Wouldn't that be a requirement if passes are being slid through?

Is Fally quick …..thought he did better than Armstrong Saturday but wouldn’t describe him as quick but happy to be proved wrong.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Realistically, this is hardly an injury crisis. We're pretty well stocked for centre backs so, the biggest loss is Hirakawa. (Murphy just a young prospect). 

We start the season with a highly motivated young squad, full of potential. Let's see if they can realise that potential in the here and now.

The Conway/Twine sagas are frustrating, but the club isn't going to grind to a halt. On Saturday the fight begins. 

Think we look light for goals, but agree.

Will need the likes of Dickie, Knight, Bird, Sykes, Bell & Mehmeti to chip in for us to do well.

• Like 2

Just now, Shuffle said:

Is Fally quick …..thought he did better than Armstrong Saturday but wouldn’t describe him as quick but happy to be proved wrong.

Think he’s pretty quick mate.

Not as rapid as Armstrong but a bit more composed.

Big step up for him from the Austrian league but wish him well.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Deceptively so I would say.

Armstrong is grease lightening, if we could add finishing to that, he would be unplayable.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Its whether we have that already with Hirakawa or also Knight when pushed up.

Wether we could dip our toes into the free agent market for cover - Steven Alzate and Van Ginkel spring to mind. No upfront free - although would be on decent wages, but I imagine no more than Twine would be, as for me, more than anything we lack end product - both have good long shots.

Difference with Alzate is he tends to play further back - but logic would be you could then push Knight up and rotate him (say as part of a midfield advanced three in a 4-2-3-1 style) between him, Sykes, and Hirakawa. Issue being it then forces Williams down the pecking order. Van Ginkel has end product, but is now 31 - however we also aside from Nakhi lack experience.

Only spitballing. I'm not even going to try and guess what our system is after the Willem friendly, just throwing out ideas.

Edited by Fuber

25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Armstrong is grease lightening, if we could add finishing to that, he would be unplayable.

Sounds familar.

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Its whether we have that already with Hirakawa or also Knight when pushed up.

Wether we could dip our toes into the free agent market for cover - Steven Alzate and Van Ginkel spring to mind. No upfront free - although would be on decent wages, but I imagine no more than Twine would be, as for me, more than anything we lack end product - both have good long shots.

Difference with Alzate is he tends to play further back - but logic would be you could then push Knight up and rotate him (say as part of a midfield advanced three in a 4-2-3-1 style) between him, Sykes, and Hirakawa. Issue being it then forces Williams down the pecking order. Van Ginkel has end product, but is now 31 - however we also aside from Nakhi lack experience.

Only spitballing. I'm not even going to try and guess what our system is after the Willem friendly, just throwing out ideas.

Hirakawa could be out a while but let's hope for the best. What Manning said didn't sound great.

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair, but, like Conway, he would only have a year left post loan so their bargaining position is weakened isn't it?

Depends - as then you get into the argument of pro-rata wage costs, structure of loan agreement, fees, etc.

Say Burnley want £3m. We say no.

We agree to loan on the basis that next Summer we pay £1-1.5m such as we did with Bird.

But we have to pay up front signing fee as part of the loan of £300k; assume Twine's wages at £12kpw (£625kpa) - combined your then talking up to £2m including signing on fee with full wage savings; but Burnley have saved £625k on their wage budget, and incoming payment spread across two seasons accounts for £2m. They take the hit now in the Championship - irrelevant if they go back up, and then have our deferred signing fee to action against FFP in the PL depending on installments - which arguably suits them better.

Completely depends on how Burnley structure things - and they can dictate as they have a strong position with a two-year contract - which we can't do with Conway.

Their weakness is their wages need slashing - but they have multiple assets they can offload or loan out.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

SL has been known in the past to stick in £15-20m in equity a season. This is for Cash Losses not Profit and Loss. Or £10-15m at least.

Based on the recent past this he would like to reduce it to £5-10m a year. Therefore while we are miles within FFP, it means we need to make the Cash we do have or that is put in go further. It's disappointing.

So when he said "What football makes, football can spend" or words to that effect, was he being disingenuous? Misleading? Lying? or, have we indeed spent the nest egg meaning going the extra mile for a player your newly invested head coach  has erroneously chased all summer, and has pined his mast colours to, is, and always was, beyond our realistic reach?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Yeah wasn’t a season starting enthusiasm filling interview was it.

No progress on our self confessed no. 1 target Twine

Conway almost certain to go

Yu Crocked

Atkinson injured again

Murphy injured again

love supporting this club 🤥

3 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Yu Crocked

Atkinson injured again

Murphy injured again

Bar one or two good seasons, mainly promotion in league one, it’s more or less the same. 

3 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Yu Crocked

Atkinson injured again

Murphy injured again

I don't think we need to get too down about 2 first team players being injured for a few weeks. 

Why not be thankful that many of our best players are fit and raring to go?

Just an idea 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't think we need to get too down about 2 first team players being injured for a few weeks. 

Just an idea 🤷‍♂️

Yu was gonna need a break anyway. Shame about big Rob, but we are well served at CB. Not sure we're even gonna see much of Murphy but as he's never played in the 1st 11, we aren't gonna miss him.

Doubt if we're any worse off than any other team for injuries as this point.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It seems LM and my Mrs have a lot in common! 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

So when he said "What football makes, football can spend" or words to that effect, was he being disingenuous? Misleading? Lying? or, have we indeed spent the nest egg meaning going the extra mile for a player your newly invested head coach  has erroneously chased all summer, and has pined his mast colours to, is, and always was, beyond our realistic reach?

Erm SL made a Series of weird interviews and claims really culminating in the Nest Egg stuff.

"What football makes football can spend- but it has got to make it".

There were some more quotes, he said no debt to be repaid but I'll try and find the April 2023 Interview where this was referenced.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just an idea 🤷‍♂️

I think the injuries are the tip of the iceberg, I think these self inflicted transfer sagas are what are getting the fans really down. Couple that with a lack of confidence in the 3 gamble signings we have made this summer and I don’t think anyone is going on with much enthusiasm 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

"What football makes football can spend- but it has got to make it".

And by flogging Scott, Semenyo, potentially Conway, lowering the wage budget et al, we should've known whether Twine was a realistic target you'd think?
As soon as was clear Burnley weren't up for turning, we should've walked away. 

1 minute ago, Philly The Kid said:

And by flogging Scott, Semenyo, potentially Conway, lowering the wage budget et al, we should've known whether Twine was a realistic target you'd think?
As soon as was clear Burnley weren't up for turning, we should've walked away. 

I suppose yes. I posted the exact quotes, I'd say that they're quite open to interpretation.

I'd say that ideally for him, SL would like us to have a total Group Cost Base of £50-55m or perhaps less rather than £60m and above.

He would like to make us as close to self-sufficient in cash terms as possible maybe £5-10m per year as opposed to £15-20m.

47 minutes ago, Philly The Kid said:

The first part in bold - was Pearson - which I think has been highlighted. Nevermind - misread Pops posted interview said.

On Balance, I think this statement was previous to Scott being sold.

NP was then consequentially shafted by Tinnion with only TGH being signed, which led to Alexander being shown the door, and then NP sacked.

Brian has or is now seemingly (between the likes of Sincs, Mayulu, Bird, Hirakawa and possibly Twine) spending said 'what football makes' that Pearson banked on their man. This season - results are needed. Whether it is within our means? - Depends on total spending and deal structures.

In the hands of a man who is our Tecknical Director.

Makes one want to cry. Just got to pray it works. or we at least keep progressing. As I don't want to really see what happens if it goes badly.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

The first part in bold - was Pearson - which I think has been highlighted.

On Balance, Pearson was right - but I think this statement was previous to Scott being sold.

He was then consequentially shafted by Tinnion, which also led to Alexander being shown the door, and then sacked.

Brian has or is now seemingly (between the likes of Sincs, Mayulu, Bird, Hirakawa and possibly Twine) spending said 'what football makes' that Pearson banked on their man. This season - results are needed. Whether it is within our means? - Depends on total spending and deal structures.

In the hands of a man who is our Tecknical Director.

Makes one want to cry. Just got to pray it works. or we at least keep progressing. As I don't want to really see what happens if it goes badly.

i will boo 😉😂

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

If he already had any semblance of finishing we couldn’t afford him. When Mark Ashton was around City operated a policy of buying expensive players, by City standards, with the aim of selling them for a profit at a later date. This was SL’s master plan to make the club self financing. Now he seems to have a hybrid plan of buying cheaper players who can be developed to sell at a profit. Armstrong is a punt. He might be another Semenyo who develops finishing and helps City to reach the playoffs / become someone who can be sold for a profit. If not he’ll probably help City maintain the rather dull mid-table position in the Championship 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

Reading between the lines we can’t bid on Twine because we’ve not yet sold Conway. I expect Twine budget was there as part of the 3 targets (7,9 and 10), however opportunity came around to replace Tommy with Sinclair and we are now waiting on a sale to sign Twine. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Reading between the lines we can’t bid on Twine because we’ve not yet sold Conway. I expect Twine budget was there as part of the 3 targets (7,9 and 10), however opportunity came around to replace Tommy with Sinclair and we are now waiting on a sale to sign Twine. 

No swapsie then?

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I don't think we do need to sell to buy? @Mr Popodopolous ? 

The sticking point is Burnley have set their transfer value. They do not want to budge on that at all as is their right. We've decided the maximum we want to pay and the two things simply do not match. 

We are however seemingly just happy to wait it out and see if Burnley will drop their price. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The sticking point is Burnley have set their transfer value. They do not want to budge on that at all as is their right. We've decided the maximum we want to pay and the two things simply do not match. 

We are however seemingly just happy to wait it out and see if Burnley will drop their price. 

Yep, and while all this is going on the man himself Scott Twine must be feeling a bit miffed by Bristol City and their tinpot approach… Surely he must be thinking now that he can do better?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Absolutely not W-S-M. Well clear of FFP.

The only consideration is in respect of SL and how much equity or Cash Flow he puts in for instalments in the here and now but Sell to Buy, don't see where or how tbh- or why.

14 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I've been wondering the same - it's a narrative that feels slightly overexaggerated.

I recall @cheddarwedlocker posted a screenshot supposedly showing a message from Twine's agent, who I believe claimed that Twine "just wants to play regular football".

In fairness, it looks like both of those things are true.

He wants to be here

3 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

Nixon ahead of the curve there again

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The only consideration is in respect of SL and how much equity or Cash Flow he puts in for instalments in the here and now but Sell to Buy, don't see where or how tbh- or why.

34m in sales last 18 months, 8-10m on incomings. Suspect we easily have a circa 10+m Gap

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It’s why we don’t ever progress, sometimes you have to pay over the odds for things in life to secure them, like buying the house of your dreams, ok you stretch yourselves but you make it work and take an element of risk to move forward. We just play it safe hence why we are a perennial mid table side. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What I don't understand MM,,is the "we don't bring in anyone that doesn't improve us".

Are only the top one or two targets in a particular 'list' in that category?  - if striker one & two are unobtainable, is striker three (or even four) still in the 'improves us' category??.....

If not,,why not?? - and if not why would they even be on the list? - maybe I'm thinking too simplistically?- or maybe my thinking is 'joined up!

Hope all of this makes sense.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2