IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

In my option its Burnleys fault for over paying for twine when they bought him from mk dons in the first place. 5m for a leauge one player is ridiculous :laugh: it more about saving face with them it seems so they don't look like idiots. They need to accept they over spent on him and they just won't recope the whole investment. The market has also now changed since then. Twine wants to leave Burnley don't see him as part of there plans accepting a say 3m bid just seems sensible for all concerned at this point. At the very least it will get his wages off the pay role so that's another 2 mill Burnley will be saving/adding to the coffers.

Just now, Glen hump said:

they don’t need to sale’ we need to pay what Burnley want’ it’s very simple 

Exactly this.

Whether or is the fault of Burnley or not, at this present time they need not sell for FFP and or Cash Flow.

What we want doesn't come into it, what Twine want doesn't fully come into it either.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

In my option its Burnleys fault for over paying for twine when they bought him from mk dons in the first place. 5m for a leauge one player is ridiculous :laugh: it more about saving face with them it seems so they don't look like idiots. They need to accept they over spent on him and they just won't recope the whole investment. Twine wants to leave Burnley don't see him ad part of the plans accepting a say 3m bid just seems sensible for all concerned at this point. At the very least it will get his wages off the pay role so that's another 2 mill Burnley will be saving.

An incredibly naïve view IMHO.
Burnley have done absolutely nothing wrong. Whether they overpaid or not is a matter for them. They've named their price, we've baulked at it and in some sort of game of amateur brinkmanship, we've believed that they would blink first. OK they still might, I might win the lottery next week, but I very much doubt it.
Where does it say Twine wants to leave Burnley? - Sure he'd be happy to come here if the opportunity presented itself, but as has already been pointed out, he's got 2 years left on his contract with a club much more likely to get promoted. Forget bench warming and all that, as a squad player he knows he'll get game time. Who says he's not part of their plans? Where's the evidence for that? He's still there, so he must be. I very much doubt he's struggling to get by on what they're paying him, and we're not exactly over generous with the wages anymore. He's done nothing wrong either BTW, why should he demand a transfer? He's not training with the U21's, He's done the pro thing and got his head down and trained for the season... Same as TommyBTW.
The only people at fault in this debacle is Bristol City football club who, by our ham fisted and cavalier approach to this transfer have made it much more UNlikely he will join us.
It wouldn't surprise me if this goes to the wire, we end up paying what we should've paid in the first place and he's 5 games behind the 8 ball, who becomes accountable for that if we don't get a good start and Manning becomes under pressure.

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

I’d think any team getting Tommy would prob not play him first game he’s not up to match sharpness wouldn’t have thought, fitness wise training with u21’s but no time to settle / adjust to new area / players / game plan - so if it is Hull I wouldn’t see him in the squad even if completed Weds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nugget said:

I’d think any team getting Tommy would prob not play him first game he’s not up to match sharpness wouldn’t have thought, fitness wise training with u21’s but no time to settle / adjust to new area / players / game plan - so if it is Hull I wouldn’t see him in the squad even if completed Weds. 

you just know they have nothing to lose putting him on the bench and giving him 15 minutes at the end, and you know exactly what would happen if he came on. You also know we wouldn’t register twine in time and he would be sat on the bench watching us get hammered 

twine is sitting pretty in this, hes settled at burnley, in a squad with good promotion prospects.  if the move comes off,he gets to move closer to home and no1 on team sheet every week. he isnt going to try and force anything,no point in falling out that end.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

I am concerned that Twine is being over hyped, by club and Otib.  He is not a potential Premier League player imo.

At present can’t command first team slot in a. Championship team

We don’t need him to be a premier league player , we just need him to help us get there 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I am concerned that Twine is being over hyped, by club and Otib.  He is not a potential Premier League player imo.

At present can’t command first team slot in a. Championship team

The football season hasn’t started, by that logic no player has commanded a team slot in any championship side yet.

But it would appear like you I don’t think he is the new Messiah.

But there is a difference between being a premiership player and being a championship player capable of helping a team get to the premier league 

Edited by Back of the Dolman

Surely the lack of interest from other clubs in Twine says how highly they rate him . The hype over him is ridiculous.  IF we do sign him ( and I hope we don't  ) I think alot of views about will change very well quickly 

Over rated

MOVE ON 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Charlie0016 said:

We don’t need him to be a premier league player , we just need him to help us get there 

I think the problem being even if we do sign him we are still short. Scott Twine we had last season will not improve us enough to get us there. 

I think he will sign, and I think the club will milk the **** out of it trying to make it a bigger addition than it actually is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

When the hierarchy are lying and inept every reason to be so.

I honestly think they’ll have names to go after, and I doubt they are staring from scratch with any of them.

The big question is, why have they taken so long to realise neither party is budging.  Even trying to involve Conway or McNally still boils down to mutual valuation.

4 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

In my option its Burnleys fault for over paying for twine when they bought him from mk dons in the first place. 5m for a leauge one player is ridiculous :laugh: it more about saving face with them it seems so they don't look like idiots. They need to accept they over spent on him and they just won't recope the whole investment. The market has also now changed since then. Twine wants to leave Burnley don't see him as part of there plans accepting a say 3m bid just seems sensible for all concerned at this point. At the very least it will get his wages off the pay role so that's another 2 mill Burnley will be saving/adding to the coffers.

Burnley did overpay imho (paid £4m), but the only relevance of that fee is that he’s now worth £2m in the books becayse he’s 2 years out of 4 years through his contract.

Burnley are asking too much now also (imho), but it matters not.  He’s their player, they can do what they like, set what fee they like.

It must be pretty clear by now neither party is moving towards mutual agreement.  And as it is City doing the chasing, it is now time they gave up.  And in giving up, go and get the next player on the list that satisfies Liam’s requirements…and give LM as many of the 46 games as possible to achieve the targets.  Liam should be telling them to move on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It must be pretty clear by now neither party is moving towards mutual agreement.  And as it is City doing the chasing, it is now time they gave up.  And in giving up, go and get the next player on the list that satisfies Liam’s requirements…and give LM as many of the 46 games as possible to achieve the targets.  Liam should be telling them to move on.

Maybe Liam knows the list of alternatives and just isn't keen on any of them. 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly think they’ll have names to go after, and I doubt they are staring from scratch with any of them.

The big question is, why have they taken so long to realise neither party is budging.  Even trying to involve Conway or McNally still boils down to mutual valuation.

Burnley did overpay imho (paid £4m), but the only relevance of that fee is that he’s now worth £2m in the books becayse he’s 2 years out of 4 years through his contract.

Burnley are asking too much now also (imho), but it matters not.  He’s their player, they can do what they like, set what fee they like.

Don’t see Liam moving on until we have to which is likely to be in the last week of the window……unless, we get wind that option 2 and/or 3 are being muted for a move elsewhere - then, we will have to make a decision and quickly.

Is he even that good to spend all summer chasing? He looked ok at times while on loan last season but there has to be other options out there for the £3-£4m we are looking to spend surely?

Burnley will either want to keep him as part of their squad, or be stuck with a player they don’t want and we would have moved on to someone else.

What is Akos Buzsaky up to nowadays?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t see Liam moving on until we have to which is likely to be in the last week of the window……unless, we get wind that option 2 and/or 3 are being muted for a move elsewhere - then, we will have to make a decision and quickly.

This is the issue though, the longer we wait the less chance of landing other targets. If we wait that long into the window clubs will be reluctant to let players leave without replacements lined up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This is the issue though, the longer we wait the less chance of landing other targets. If we wait that long into the window clubs will be reluctant to let players leave without replacements lined up.

I don’t disagree just think it’s how it will be……

28 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Maybe Liam knows the list of alternatives and just isn't keen on any of them. 

True, but if that’s the case pay the money or choose a different approach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder about TFH at 10, he has a bit of creativity.

4 Assists and the lovely Goal v Middlesbrough. He can also ddop back into the CM 3 out of possession.

I play Mehmeti as the 10 from our current midfield options 

Just now, Bcfc24 said:

Another day with no update, slowly losing hope 😔

If it's true there are several interested parties that's bound to slow things down. Irrespective of whether Twine signs or not you'd imagine that it's too late for him to start on Saturday now.

Just now, The Masked Man said:

If it's true there are several interested parties that's bound to slow things down. Irrespective of whether Twine signs or not you'd imagine that it's too late for him to start on Saturday now.

Yeah no chance of that happening and I think as they days go on the chance of him coming back at all are diminishing rapidly 

5 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Yeah no chance of that happening and I think as they days go on the chance of him coming back at all are diminishing rapidly 

I think the reverse.  I think the nearer it gets to deadline day without him signing for other club, the more likely he will sign for us.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

twine is sitting pretty in this, hes settled at burnley, in a squad with good promotion prospects.  if the move comes off,he gets to move closer to home and no1 on team sheet every week. he isnt going to try and force anything,no point in falling out that end.

I doubt we'd stick him in goal

• Haha 1

Just now, Charlie0016 said:

We got someone better with the £100m+ money we will get from promotion ??? Have you been drinking ?

Sorry doesn’t quite work like that.  I remember the quality players we had when we last won promotion to top division.  You can’t buy an entire new team!  

• Facepalm 3

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Then what.

Are you really suggesting that in our budget range we should be buying not only players who are good enough to get us up but then also players who would be good enough to play in the Premier League? Because that isn't our current budget. If somehow we ever got promoted our likely budget in a PL scenario would probably give us less than a 10% (more likely less than 5%) chance of staying in the league. You'd have to use that success to try & build a team capable of again competing for promotion in the Championship after a relegation from the PL and re-aligning our level as a consistent top 6 championship side. If somehow we then stayed up its a bonus and take it as such. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

@Davefevs do you have some alternatives you'd prefer to see here in that spreadsheet of yours? (Apologies if you've already shared this).

Said earlier, if the club are looking abroad then it’s needed in haystack.

At least with Hirakawa we had a sniff that Gilhespy had been to Japan.

If it’s this country I don’t think there are too many like Twine, not ones who play between the lines and not ones in our budget.  There are deeper playmakers, Rudoni (now Coventry) who could play 10, Patino (Swansea last season).  Even our own Max Bird, who I see more as an 8, rather than a 10 if you’re gonna play him further forward.  I’ve mentioned Bacuna (Birmingham), but most of the creative types that play advanced positions are wider players like Poku (Peterborough), Azeez (Reading), but we are now straying into Lg1 to fit budget.  And then you begin to stray into types that don’t match Twine, e.g. Knibbs (Reading) a more-Weimann type, or Joel Randall (Peterborough) who’s a converted winger.  Again someone like George Thomason (Bolton) is more a 6 converted to an 8 (like Bird) rather than a 10 per se.  Asgaard (Wigan) maybe?

Who else?

Or I think the next place is PL loanees!!!

Calling all of you that play FM!  Not you Jon L.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Are you really suggesting that in our budget range we should be buying not only players who are good enough to get us up but then also players who would be good enough to play in the Premier League? Because that isn't our current budget. If somehow we ever got promoted our likely budget in a PL scenario would probably give us less than a 10% (more likely less than 5%) chance of staying in the league. You'd have to use that success to try & build a team capable of again competing for promotion in the Championship after a relegation from the PL and re-aligning our level as a consistent top 6 championship side. If somehow we then stayed up its a bonus and take it as such. 

Better off just seeing if Twine starts on Monday for burnley he may be an unused sub which might give us abit more leeway in any negotiations as it will confirm he isn't in parkers plans.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

SL could turn on the spending taps again post Promotion.

Revenue Increase £100m minimum. FFP headroom +£22m- if we ever went up SL would need to spend again perhaps.

Your plan may or may not work, however our Gate and Commercial Revenue would with like for like TV money outstrip some PL sides probably.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

SL could turn on the spending taps again post Promotion.

Revenue Increase £100m minimum. FFP headroom +£22m- if we ever went up SL would need to spend again perhaps.

Your plan may or may not work, however our Gate and Commercial Revenue would with like for like TV money outstrip some PL sides probably.

The gap even between parachute prem/champ clubs and those who finish 16th/17th is now monstrous, spending £100m on players can still leave you £100m short of PL clubs squad value and that's with a valuable squad already. City financially just wouldn't be able to compete in season 1 in the PL so prudent spending would still be required should we come straight back down to the Championship with only 1 year of FFP allowance and 2 seasons worth of parachute payments. 

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The gap even between parachute prem/champ clubs and those who finish 16th/17th is now monstrous, spending £100m on players can still leave you £100m short of PL clubs squad value and that's with a valuable squad already. City financially just wouldn't be able to compete in season 1 in the PL so prudent spending would still be required should we come straight back down to the Championship with only 1 year of FFP allowance and 2 seasons worth of parachute payments. 

I am trying to compare it to e.g. Brentford or some middle ranking clubs like that who got into the PL.

Look for a mix of PL signings, decent Championship ones- free agents, Home and oversaw and try to keep a chunk of your most capable players.

Personally thought on the right road under Gould and NP.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

The longer this goes on the more I want the current owners out of this club, the way this club is run is a joke, I've held off having a dig at Tinman because he will always be a footballing legend for me and I think he has done a great job with the youngsters, but who/what/why/when put him in such an important role, this window has been dealt with in such an amateur way is there any real wonder that with him & crayon boy pulling the strings our main target is still no closer to signing.....I've not got the energy to go on but IMHO the buck stops with Steve, he remains the man in charge, he remains the wallet holder & end decision maker out the way of any/all criticism and until he's gone we remain for want of a better word. .....me!!!!!!!!

Rant over, go sign the bugger ya tight old get.... (joke).

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 2

23 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Reading between the lines we can’t bid on Twine because we’ve not yet sold Conway. I expect Twine budget was there as part of the 3 targets (7,9 and 10), however opportunity came around to replace Tommy with Sinclair and we are now waiting on a sale to sign Twine. 

Yea 100%.

soon as Conway goes twine will be in.  

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

The longer this goes on the more I want the current owners out of this club, the way this club is run is a joke, I've held off having a dig at Tinman because he will always be a footballing legend for me and I think he has done a great job with the youngsters, but who/what/why/when put him in such an important role, this window has been dealt with in such an amateur way is there any real wonder that with him & crayon boy pulling the strings our main target is still no closer to signing.....I've not got the energy to go on but IMHO the buck stops with Steve, he remains the man in charge, he remains the wallet holder & end decision maker out the way of any/all criticism and until he's gone we remain for want of a better word. .....me!!!!!!!!

I mean if anything the fact we haven't 'just paid the fee' shows we're actually being better run because we know what our budget is and we're sticking to it seemingly. The only case to answer is why we've not brought in someone else to bring this saga to an end. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I mean if anything the fact we haven't 'just paid the fee' shows we're actually being better run because we know what our budget is and we're sticking to it seemingly. The only case to answer is why we've not brought in someone else to bring this saga to an end. 

I'm on the fence here.

On one hand we have a budget and are sticking to it.

Otoh Manning feels, truly feels that we need Twine to set the attacking third free e.g. the missing piece in the jigsaw.

There is a time to twist, a time to stick. A time to spend, a time to hold.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2024 at 03:40, Shuffle said:

Is Fally quick …..thought he did better than Armstrong Saturday but wouldn’t describe him as quick but happy to be proved wrong.

With a name like Shuffle I can see how speed can be a bit confusing................ only joking mate, I'm trying to make light of our situation  :thumbsup: :worship2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Said earlier, if the club are looking abroad then it’s needed in haystack.

At least with Hirakawa we had a sniff that Gilhespy had been to Japan.

If it’s this country I don’t think there are too many like Twine, not ones who play between the lines and not ones in our budget.  There are deeper playmakers, Rudoni (now Coventry) who could play 10, Patino (Swansea last season).  Even our own Max Bird, who I see more as an 8, rather than a 10 if you’re gonna play him further forward.  I’ve mentioned Bacuna (Birmingham), but most of the creative types that play advanced positions are wider players like Poku (Peterborough), Azeez (Reading), but we are now straying into Lg1 to fit budget.  And then you begin to stray into types that don’t match Twine, e.g. Knibbs (Reading) a more-Weimann type, or Joel Randall (Peterborough) who’s a converted winger.  Again someone like George Thomason (Bolton) is more a 6 converted to an 8 (like Bird) rather than a 10 per se.  Asgaard (Wigan) maybe?

Who else?

Or I think the next place is PL loanees!!!

Calling all of you that play FM!  Not you Jon L.

George Earthy, very good young player 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm on the fence here.

Otoh Manning feels, truly feels that we need Twine to set the attacking third free e.g. the missing piece in the jigsaw.

I agree but when you show your hand and then try to bluff (we've got other targets if we dont/can't get Twine) you create a scenario where you are a few days away from the start of the season and you don't have the key player/position that is pivotal to the offensive part of the team, it's ridiculous and makes us look amateur at best.

We either don't have viable alternatives to Twine or we do but Manning doesn't think they're for whatever reason an option, in which case they aren't an option!

Pay the asking price in may would have been the most useful option, build the offensive unit around him not the other way around & have a full preseason establishing partnerships etc, it's not rocket science!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

You say that but like us with conway no club wants a disgruntled player on there books it just depreciates there value I don't like player power don't get me wrong but sometimes that said player needs to play the game and do what's right for his career personally I think it would force burnleys hand abit of course it may not and he may get demoted to the u21s so I guess it is a massive risk on twines part on reflection. I'm just thinking out loud 

Doesn't the fact that he hasn't done that tell you something? 

He is not as desperate to come here as many would like to believe and is quite happy to see how things play out at Burnley.

That's not to say he wouldn't be interested in a move here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm on the fence here.

You gotta know when to hold 'em

Know when to fold 'em

Know when to walk away

Know when to run 🤣

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm on the fence here.

Seasonal, one might say, but which way to turn.

A time to gain, a time to lose.

A time for peace, I swear it’s not too late.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Didn’t help Gary . 

I disagree. The wage bill ballooned under Gary j towards the end.

big renewal contracts handed out to retain the likes of Marv Elliott and Orr. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Burnley squad depth this season, can’t see Twine getting in ahead of oderbert and RamseyIMG_2468.jpeg.55f6ac5d2db7030515e3272e65d4ecb9.jpeg

Well Ramsey is likely out for a few more months yet as it was an acl, Odobert/Amdouni every chance they move on at some point so not a bad gamble to play that he could get game time then leave end of the window if he isn’t 

1 hour ago, HengroveReds said:

Burnley squad depth this season, can’t see Twine getting in ahead of oderbert and RamseyIMG_2468.jpeg.55f6ac5d2db7030515e3272e65d4ecb9.jpeg

If they play Massengo there they won't get anymore out of him than we did. He needs to be played further forward, something we failed to do. Perhaps if we'd done so we wouldn't be worrying now about a primary playmaker (I dislike the 'No. 10 moniker) and fretting on Twine. 

16 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If they play Massengo there they won't get anymore out of him than we did. He needs to be played further forward, something we failed to do. Perhaps if we'd done so we wouldn't be worrying now about a primary playmaker (I dislike the 'No. 10 moniker) and fretting on Twine. 

Played further forward for his goals and assists I’m assuming?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Played further forward for his goals and assists I’m assuming?

I'm convinced he would have scored a few goals and assisted had we played him forward and Nagy deeper. He has quick feet, could play in a phone box and can pick a, pass. Wasted as a defensive midfielder in my view. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

I think the conway deal will go badly wrong as I think it is going on to long which could effect the Twine deal. shame if it does but it is what it is

In what way has any potential Conway deal been going on too long?

4 minutes ago, marksy said:

Just been told that City are struggling to get the Twine deal over the line?. Pretty reliable source

I don’t believe that for one second ………..

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, marksy said:

Just been told that City are struggling to get the Twine deal over the line?. Pretty reliable source

Not having a go at you but…no shit!!  We started chasing him before Xmas 😝😝😝

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

Is this actually going to happen? Or is it time to move on? 🤐

It will happen. I think they’ve invested too much effort now, so unless there’s a rabbit to be found in another hat, it’s the only option they have.