IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

1 hour ago, marksy said:

Just been told that City are struggling to get the Twine deal over the line?. Pretty reliable source

Glad to see that your ITK'r is up to speed. Keep us updated , can't wait to hear more.

• Haha 1

This whole saga is a complete car crash.

SL is 71 and worth around 2 Billion. Why are we pissing about for a few quid which is like £50 to us mere mortals.

At 71 he's no spring chicken so you'd think he would like to see us in the Prem sooner rather then later, which also comes with a cheque for around £200 Million.

• Flames 2
  • Robin 7

6 minutes ago, Sniper said:

This whole saga is a complete car crash.

SL is 71 and worth around 2 Billion. Why are we pissing about for a few quid which is like £50 to us mere mortals.

At 71 he's no spring chicken so you'd think he would like to see us in the Prem sooner rather then later, which also comes with a cheque for around £200 Million.

I genuinely don’t think he’s interested. He backed the wrong horse in Johnson and that didn’t work so just happy to plod along now and not risk anything. Obvious he wants a buyer. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Jose said:

I genuinely don’t think he’s interested. He backed the wrong horse in Johnson and that didn’t work so just happy to plod along now and not risk anything. Obvious he wants a buyer. 

He wants a miracle, basically he’s happy to keep buying cheap, see if he can appoint a manager at some point that can deliver a special season through coaching

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jose said:

Mind you, he did just put £13m into the club withing the last couple of months.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

The Championship is an insatiable Money Pit. Or has been.

My own School of Thought here is that SL would like to cut his input to £5-10m a season as opposed to £15-20m a season or even £10-15m in most cases.

The cost base drops on a regular basis. That £13m could've been to cover for the most part 2 Seasons.

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

That’s pounds to me and you. The club needs to be in a stable position to sell. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Burnley squad depth this season, can’t see Twine getting in ahead of oderbert and RamseyIMG_2468.jpeg.55f6ac5d2db7030515e3272e65d4ecb9.jpeg

I think for Burnley. They are quite content to have Twine as back up or as an option. 

If they then sell Twine. They'd then maybe then fell the need to have to replace him. 

So then if you're Burnley you'd ask yourself, what's the point? Especially as the player isn't actively demanding a move either. 

That's why they've priced him like they have in my opinion. Because they have no need to sell and he is useful for them and it would then potentially cost them more to replace him. 

20 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Yep, it was definitely an American...

In fairness, it was written by several different people at several different times.

By some strange quirk of fate, it's mainly thread is that there will be a second coming of a messiah. So far, he's not turned up.

11 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

In fairness, it was written by several different people at several different times.

By some strange quirk of fate, it's mainly thread is that there will be a second coming of a messiah. So far, he's not turned up.

Pay Burnley what they want and he will. :noexp:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Please don't derail this biblical thread, Rudolf.

I fear I was responsible for introducing The Bible - to this thread, I mean, not to mankind, for which feat Johannes Gutenberg should be credited.

Anyway, as the late, great Pete Seeger (no relation to Bob Seger 😉) said (some years later), To Everything There is a Season, and a new one begins very shortly.

So, sticking with the Scott Twine theme, perhaps it's time to Move On - or Turn! Turn! Turn!  

55 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Please don't derail this biblical thread, Rudolf.

Heaven forbid that a biblical thread is derailed for 3 days before being resurrected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, milo1111 said:

I wonder if Liam manning has considered changing his surname to Johnson. I’m sure the lansdowns would find the extra funds then.

For pity’s sake, move on

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went to the Emirates tonight. Simply wow, Arsenal are sublime, Arteta is a supreme coach and they will for sure win the league this year. Amazing to see a club so united and in love with their players. AND….GUESS WHAT? This pathetic number 10 thing is a myth. We need an 8, an Odegaard, an attacking pinnacle to the two deep lying mids to support two pacy wingers and a striker. Why is Manning complicating it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I went to the Emirates tonight. Simply wow, Arsenal are sublime, Arteta is a supreme coach and they will for sure win the league this year. Amazing to see a club so united and in love with their players. AND….GUESS WHAT? This pathetic number 10 thing is a myth. We need an 8, an Odegaard, an attacking pinnacle to the two deep lying mids to support two pacy wingers and a striker. Why is Manning complicating it. 

You're right. What Manning should be doing is trying to buy a creative midfielder like Odegaard who plays behind the striker. Let me think, how about that lad at Burnley...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I'd say Arsenal actually play with two 8s. They tried Havertz there but moved him forward so Rice stepped into the role, making more of his skills. They now want Moreno to fill the deeper role it seems.

But your point stands, in fact it strikes me that none of last season's PL top 4 play a 10. I'm inclined to Klopp's view that the high press is the best playmaker because you can catch the opposition out of shape.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Are you really suggesting that in our budget range we should be buying not only players who are good enough to get us up but then also players who would be good enough to play in the Premier League? Because that isn't our current budget. If somehow we ever got promoted our likely budget in a PL scenario would probably give us less than a 10% (more likely less than 5%) chance of staying in the league. You'd have to use that success to try & build a team capable of again competing for promotion in the Championship after a relegation from the PL and re-aligning our level as a consistent top 6 championship side. If somehow we then stayed up its a bonus and take it as such. 

Oh dear, Bristol negativity raises its head again

40 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'd say Arsenal actually play with two 8s. They tried Havertz there but moved him forward so Rice stepped into the role, making more of his skills. They now want Moreno to fill the deeper role it seems.

But your point stands, in fact it strikes me that none of last season's PL top 4 play a 10. I'm inclined to Klopp's view that the high press is the best playmaker because you can catch the opposition out of shape.

Totally agree. This 10 thing is so irritating, it’s Tinnion and Manning talk. It doesn’t actually exist in football. What we need is a Graham Kavanagh type, someone who can link the midfield and attack. Playing a type of 4.4.2 with someone strangely just off a striker to the left is bonkers. 

• Hmmm 1

Bobby Moore   number 6

The most iconic for me. Never saw him play in real life. But having watched the 1966 final a few times. Read a couple of books about him. For me he will always be a very special part of football history.

48 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally agree. This 10 thing is so irritating, it’s Tinnion and Manning talk. It doesn’t actually exist in football

Quick someone had better tell Pep it doesn't actually exist 

image.thumb.png.5fcd4633830e5d876eeecb1bfabff0a8.png

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Are you perhaps confusing The Byrds with The Band (and Bob Dylan)?

Not really, I do realise it was a Dylan song, but it was covered by the Byrds :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think the point he was making was that its not as widely used these days.

That's a very different collection of words to "it doesn't exist in football".

I'm also not entirely convinced that it is actually used significantly less.

6 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

Are you suggesting most clubs do play with a 10? 

If so which clubs? 

15 minutes ago, astrondrew said:

It is, notably at the highest level.

The issue is that people use catch all terms to describe a vast array of different roles and player types. Nobody can define what an 8 or a 10 actually is. Is an 8 a box to box? a Mezzala? is a 10 a playmaker? a second striker? a deep lying forward? a central winger? 

Numerical positions (I use them too, so we're all guilty) aren't relevant. Formations aren't relevant. It's about the roles individuals are asked to perform. 

• Like 2

Personally, I think one of the most important roles of a Twine is the free kick taking. 

With Sinclair, Bell and Memeti (and others) running at or past defenders, they will hesitate to bring them down as easily if they know Twine is on the pitch. Defenders being a little more reticent is a good thing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally agree. This 10 thing is so irritating, it’s Tinnion and Manning talk. It doesn’t actually exist in football. What we need is a Graham Kavanagh type, someone who can link the midfield and attack. Playing a type of 4.4.2 with someone strangely just off a striker to the left is bonkers. 

Not just Tinnion and Manning.

For some time I've read numerous posts on here suggesting that we need a number 10.

I'm not saying that LM and Tins have not talked about a no 10, but I think fans have long become conditioned to thinking that the fabled no 10 is the solution to our attacking failings, that go back well before LM became head coach and BT ascended to his current position of Lord High Executioner (or something like that)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

For some time I've read numerous posts on here suggesting that we need a number 10.

I'm not saying that LM and Tins have not talked about a no 10, but I think fans have long become conditioned to thinking that the fabled no 10 is the solution to our attacking failings, that go back well before LM became head coach and BT ascended to his current position of Lord High Executioner (or something like that)

It’s a number 8 we need to play at top of a midfield 3, two pacy wide players and a central powerful striker. That’s how the Liverpool and Arsenal’s play and it’s exciting. 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Fans have long become conditioned to thinking that the fabled no 10 is the solution to our attacking failings, that go back well before LM became head coach and BT ascended to his current position of Lord High Executioner

Did it come from someone specific or just a long-standing option for a way of playing football?

10 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I hope Arsenal win the premiership this season. great to watch. if we had a bit of ambition and get the player or players our manager would like maybe we could do what Ipswich have done. 

We don’t like sarcasm on this forum.

:disapointed2se:

Much. :laughcont:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I hope Arsenal win the premiership this season. great to watch. if we had a bit of ambition and get the player or players our manager would like maybe we could do what Ipswich have done. 

I have no ambition for this club to be relegation favourites.

27 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Just heard Manning’s press conference and he speaks around being confident about adding more players before the end of the window. So clearly we want more than just a 10. 

Personally believe it’ll be a centre back as Atkinson just back and injured again, Naismith unreliable on the injury front. Hence the links to McNally, personally believe Mannings first choices are Twine and McNally (not in the swap deal) however I’d say he thinks he’s confident as if they don’t get those they will get other targets. Just hope they don’t leave it too late to pivot the new targets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

The interesting thing is that with Twine last season we played predominantly 3421, ie with two 10s. We’ve not really seen Twine as a more conventional 10 in a 4231 / 4411.  In fact at MKD he played him a lot as what I’d call a Left Inside Forward.

What was clear in those ten games he played is that he does play between the lines.

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I have no ambition for this club to be relegation favourites.

Not relevant to the thread but I'd rather be fighting to stay up in the Premier League than fighting to finish 10th in the Championship.

• Like 4