IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

7 hours ago, Saborios Socks said:

I would really like to know how much Burnley want for him and how much we are offering 

Well Burnley paid £5m for Twine so i would imagine they want to get the majority of that figure back for him (IMO they may drop to £4m/£3.5) We're not budging on £2.5m apparently

If Twine was worth what Burnley are asking then a lot of clubs would be clamouring for his signature. As they’re aren’t it shows that Burnley’s valuation is too high. There’s no real incentive for them to drop the price as they’re not desperate for money and he would be a useful squad player for them this season. So either he stays or City give in and pay too much 

• Like 1

Seen lots of comments about paying Burnley what they want but why would we overpay as clearly Burnley did in the first place.  I have no issue with us holding a valuation that is clearly less than Burnley want but I do have an issue with us not moving on. Twine is a good player but over the summer he’s become an even better player & seen as our saviour which I can’t see.  Move on.

• Like 7

We should have moved on weeks ago Burnley wont drop their price we wont increase ours so move on. Burnley will have to move players on, they have over 40 players on their books I'm sure BT thinks we can get Twine on the cheap if we hold out. However the season has started we need a number 10 in now 

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Why are we only looking to sign one "10"? I remember the days when we brought more than one "10" in. And one of them turnt out to be bloody excellent at this level. Sign three or four and one might be good enough ....

Because we have only got finite resources 

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Why are we only looking to sign one "10"? I remember the days when we brought more than one "10" in. And one of them turnt out to be bloody excellent at this level. Sign three or four and one might be good enough ....

we know twine is good enough. we also have ayman, who’s been in full training. let’s hope he can stay fit and leave his injury troubles behind him.

14 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Swiss Tony has left the building...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We , apparently, have youngsters in the building who can play the  10 , Stokes I believe is one , Benarous another. If we can bring one in who’s at or near his peak years then we can develop the others . 

• Like 3

nahki was the 10 in preseason - whilst i don’t think that’s a long term solution i would rather see him there than max bird like we did on saturday. manning spoke of initiating the press from the front, nahki probably can’t do that over a sustained period but he’s still got a lot of running in those legs.

Just now, jbcfc said:

nahki was the 10 in preseason - whilst i don’t think that’s a long term solution i would rather see him there than max bird like we did on saturday. manning spoke of initiating the press from the front, nahki probably can’t do that over a sustained period but he’s still got a lot of running in those legs.

Is it a 10 or is it just a 4.4.2. I really don’t get it…..a free role from the left? 

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Naismith as a 10 isn’t a bad shout! Most creative player at the club. Wand of a left foot. 

Was only pathos/comedic, but actually, he couldn't do a great deal of damage there & does have a great left peg-

Failure wouldn't be the disaster!

17 minutes ago, jbcfc said:

Did you see Wells’ cameo on Saturday? So past it now

13 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Did you see Wells’ cameo on Saturday? So past it now

that’s why this role suits him better - less playing on the shoulder and more picking up the ball in the half spaces and making late runs into the box. it’s not ideal, but it’s better than playing a defensive mid there.

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Oh ffs

Fwiw Naismith started his career as a forward, mainly wide positions, but anywhere across the front line.  I likened him to Darren Anderton is style a good few years back.  Looks like the injuries resemble him too these days.

It was only in the latter days of Paul Cook’s time at Wigan that Naismith become a CB, then of course at Luton.

All the clamour for him to play in midfield, but he’s actually played more as a no10 / AM than as a CM!

I’m not saying he should be our no10, but it’s not as stupid an idea as it looks.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fwiw Naismith started his career as a forward, mainly wide positions, but anywhere across the front line.  I likened him to Darren Anderton is style a good few years back.  Looks like the injuries resemble him too these days.

It was only in the latter days of Paul Cook’s time at Wigan that Naismith become a CB, then of course at Luton.

All the clamour for him to play in midfield, but he’s actually played more as a no10 / AM than as a CM!

I’m not saying he should be our no10, but it’s not as stupid an idea as it looks.

Yes it really is. He’s not quick enough, in either thought nor legs to play that role. Not only would our press fall apart but games would bypass him completely.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, jbcfc said:

that’s why this role suits him better - less playing on the shoulder and more picking up the ball in the half spaces and making late runs into the box. it’s not ideal, but it’s better than playing a defensive mid there.

Mate he played in the ‘10’ Saturday and was shocking. Still can’t believe he failed to play Mayulu through when it was 2v1!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, James54De said:

Yes it really is. He’s not quick enough, in either thought nor legs to play that role. Not only would our press fall apart but games would bypass him completely.

Twine isn’t very quick either, nor is he great at blocking passing lanes, isn’t particularly a hard worker, imho.  He is probably what we call a “luxury player”.

I’m interested to see him play in a 4231, because he mainly played those 10 games for us as part of two no10s, usually left side no10 in a 3421.  The game we played a 4 was Sunderland (a).  Only one game but we were poor, and produced our joint lowest number of high turnovers of Manning’s tenure, bar Southampton, where that gameplan was to cede possession.  Not saying that’s on Twine, but it is something to look out for, if / when he signs.  I’m not saying he’s crap, far from it, I think some have built him up as some kinda superstar, Manning included!  

His time under Manning at MK was more as an inside left forward with a free role, because MK had the likes of O’Riley, Darling, McEachran, etc to get the ball into opponents final third.  He didn’t need to do the things he might need to do for City.

I don’t think Manning will pick Naismith there, so we’ll never know! 😉

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hocca said:

Mate he played in the ‘10’ Saturday and was shocking. Still can’t believe he failed to play Mayulu through when it was 2v1!

We changed formation to look more like 4-4-2 then so he looked like he was still playing striker,

That's what it seemed to me anyway,

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We changed formation to look more like 4-4-2 then so he looked like he was still playing striker,

That's what it seemed to me anyway

54 minutes ago, Hocca said:

I agree, I was furious he didn’t play it to mayulu. We were so wasteful yet again, why our players can’t play simple, easy balls which we can all see I’ll never know. What do they do in training? 

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Twine isn’t very quick either, nor is he great at blocking passing lanes, isn’t particularly a hard worker, imho.  He is probably what we call a “luxury player”.

I’m interested to see him play in a 4231, because he mainly played those 10 games for us as part of two no10s, usually left side no10 in a 3421.  The game we played a 4 was Sunderland (a).  Only one game but we were poor, and produced our joint lowest number of high turnovers of Manning’s tenure, bar Southampton, where that gameplan was to cede possession.  Not saying that’s on Twine, but it is something to look out for, if / when he signs.  I’m not saying he’s crap, far from it, I think some have built him up as some kinda superstar, Manning included!  

His time under Manning at MK was more as an inside left forward with a free role, because MK had the likes of O’Riley, Darling, McEachran, etc to get the ball into opponents final third.  He didn’t need to do the things he might need to do for City.

I don’t think Manning will pick Naismith there, so we’ll never know! 😉

This is what confuses me a bit about Twine. Manning seems very set on him and obviously knows what he wants but I don't see him as an ideal fit for my understanding of what Manning is trying to do. Obviously that probably means I'm not fully understanding it rather than Manning is wrong but I get the impression we're trying to put pressure on teams when we cede possession and I don't really see Twine as someone who does that. 

• Like 2

I compare Twine to Tomlin a bit. 

Not strong, not quick but got a bit of magic and good set piece delivery.

Don't think that's what we need in the attacking midfield position.

The passes to play through don't have to be eye of the needle passes, just someone who can move it on and get into good positions in and around the box.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

I compare Twine to Tomlin a bit. 

Not strong, not quick but got a bit of magic and good set piece delivery.

Don't think that's what we need in the attacking midfield position.

The passes to play through don't have to be eye of the needle passes, just someone who can move it on and get into good positions in and around the box.

About 10 stone lighter as well.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Interesting article from Bristol live says we have a plan B and C for Twine, both domestic players. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I find it laughable they say stuff like “can’t go all in on one individual and miss out on others”. We couldn’t be going more all in on one if we tried. 

Wasn’t someone (not Piercy) from the BP present at your soirée at the HPC last week.

Might this have been mentioned? 👀

Just now, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Age + wages. Agree about Bird & Knight.

I'm just thinking there is potential to be creative on Point 2. WBA still pay a portion of the wages to fit our structure, we make up the difference in a higher fee or Loan Fee to make it worth their while. He joined them on a Free so any Wages 

E.g. Crystal Palace are charging £1m Loan Fee and the same in wages covered for Rak-Sakyi. I believe another club are doing similar with one of their young players.

Age point, 29 is he.. that isn't past it. Albeit if we won't recruit anyone over a given age then it is pointless by me but you need a sprinkling of proven quality and experience too.

31 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Because he’s a striker, not a ‘10’.

This is exactly my point mate, someone said they’d be happy with Wells in the ‘10’ when he is clearly not competent in that role.

I just logged in to see if there was any updates since I last looked and saw there was 110 entries since I last looked - my dilemma - do I go to the first page and read through in case there was anything interesting to read - or go to the last page and expect to see the usual comments which actually mean nothing!!

I went to the end - and wasn't disappointed - nothing to report!!!

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I plead the fifth, your honour. 

Pete, are you able to share which concerns you personally raised during the conversation, or is it best just to stay schtum?

You shared one fascinating insight on the Pod btw. I won't say what it is because people need to listen to find out 😉

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I plead the fifth, your honour. 

Do correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of the attendees say on here that the club was ok with what was discussed at the meeting being shared?

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I hope John Swift is Plan B or C. Or someone of that Profile, calibre.

You’d like to think so but can’t see it.

Age and re sell value is important granted but so is talent and experience, as an example yesterday, Bannan ran the game and so if signing Swift takes you closer potentially to the plays off then it’s about ambition v stability and we know we lean to the latter whereas others take a gamble

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

Pete, are you able to share which concerns you personally raised during the conversation, or is it best just to stay schtum?

You shared one fascinating insight on the Pod btw. I won't say what it is because people need to listen to find out 😉

Yeah, don’t mind really.

In fairness most got covered naturally by conversation and discursion, but I asked Liam directly if anything about the job/club/city had surprised him vs his pre conceived ideas of what he walking into. 

Wont be able to say verbatim of course, but let’s just say he’s aware that  ‘cosy’ nature of living in such a nice place & having such nice facilities can actually have an adverse effect, as many fans have expressed over the years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Hocca said:

This is exactly my point mate, someone said they’d be happy with Wells in the ‘10’ when he is clearly not competent in that role.

Yes, sorry, I wasn’t very clear! We’re agreeing, of course. But what the incident you highlighted demonstrated, for me, is that it’s not only about ability it’s also about instinct.

A striker’s instinct is to go for goal. Often called greedy, but most good strikers are greedy.

A ‘10’s instinct is to look for someone in a better position.

It’s no surprise that Wells is the former; it’s what he’s done most of his career. And probably a bit late to change. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Do correct me if I'm wrong but didn't one of the attendees say on here that the club was ok with what was discussed at the meeting being shared?

We were told to just use our common sense, basically. Is obvious what is/isn’t okay to share. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

they must have a rough idea what they are getting from whoever for Tommy, why not just get ST in and worry about balancing the books after? wouldnt they get however many years  to juggle the books on this one

And if we do that but Tommy picks up a season ending or a career ending injury before his deal can go through?

5 minutes ago, Ashton Fete said:

You’d like to think so but can’t see it.

Age and re sell value is important granted but so is talent and experience, as an example yesterday, Bannan ran the game and so if signing Swift takes you closer potentially to the plays off then it’s about ambition v stability and we know we lean to the latter whereas others take a gamble

Bannan running the game perhaps albeit the highest rated player I saw referenced was Ingelsson in at least one Report.

However I do agree in general..I think making a play for Swift could help push us on.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bannan running the game perhaps albeit the highest rated player I saw referenced was Ingelsson in at least one Report.

However I do agree in general..I think making a play for Swift could help push us on.

Sheffield Wednesday fans raving about Ingelsson fwiw.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well that journo was wrong, I’m right 😂

Honestly for me he consistently runs games, his speed of thought and linked/balls through is ridiculous 

Obvs I hope he gets sent off after 10 mins again against us!

Just now, Ashton Fete said:

Well that journo was wrong, I’m right 😂

Honestly for me he consistently runs games, his speed of thought and linked/balls through is ridiculous 

Obvs I hope he gets sent off after 10 mins again against us!

I think vs better sides...Bannan can be flawed at his current age even more.so, if he is in a 3 that can accentuate strengths. Likewise if they play as they did with 2 or 3 wide players and a support striker in Windass..you habe that energy in there that can mask certain flaws for Bannan.

Sheffield Wednesday fans generally considered Ingelsson their best player from what I can see but all about opinions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We were told to just use our common sense, basically. Is obvious what is/isn’t okay to share. 

OK thanks. I'm not asking for a response but I take that to mean that confidential information was shared.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think vs better sides...Bannan can be flawed at his current age even more.so, if he is in a 3 that can accentuate strengths. Likewise if they play as they did with 2 or 3 wide players and a support striker in Windass..you habe that energy in there that can mask certain flaws for Bannan.

Sheffield Wednesday fans generally considered Ingelsson their best player from what I can see but all about opinions.

And worth remembering, Plymouth were awful, Wednesday barely got out if 2nd gear,

Bannon is a great player but he is aging as well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wont be able to say verbatim of course, but let’s just say he’s aware that  ‘cosy’ nature of living in such a nice place & having such nice facilities can actually have an adverse effect, as many fans have expressed over the years. 

Be good if he knew that if he let that be known to the wider fanbase then it would help his cause.   I’d really like him to be a bit more forthright.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Club officials etc meeting Podcasters tbh.

The Podcasters are great- they do take time out, all of them but all fans are important. I'm not wording it very well but I'm a little unsure.

More engagement is very much welcome but..I'm conflicted as to whether that is the best approach.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yeah, don’t mind really.

In fairness most got covered naturally by conversation and discursion, but I asked Liam directly if anything about the job/club/city had surprised him vs his pre conceived ideas of what he walking into. 

Great question, interesting answer! We almost need a Joe Williams in the squad for that edge.

13 minutes ago, chinapig said:

OK thanks. I'm not asking for a response but I take that to mean that confidential information was shared.

Pete said on the pod that nothing too wild was shared.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not sure what to make of the whole Club officials etc meeting Podcasters tbh.

The Podcasters are great- they do take time out, all of them but all fans are important. I'm not wording it very well but I'm a little unsure.

More engagement is very much welcome but..I'm conflicted as to whether that is the best approach.

Club can’t win. No communication and they get slated. Not everything needs to be turned into a negative.

• Like 3

Just now, Saborios Socks said:

Club can’t win. No communication and they get slated. Not everything needs to be turned into a negative.

I'm not slating them, I'm just conflicted..some of the increased comms is due to the EFL Action Plan.

My point is that all fans are important but otoh Podcasts are an increasingly used and important medium.