IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We’ll never know I guess, but I always thought Tommy was pretty level-headed, knew he wasn’t quite the sane class as his flatmate nor Antoine.  Confident, ambitious, had a plan?  Absolutely.

Whatever some fans now think of Tommy, to my mind he was progressing well with good signs that he would move on to bigger and better things - accepting that we all hoped that he could do so with us! He's perhaps been a bit unfortunate that his progress has been hindered by untimely injuries. 

If he's accepting of where he is ability wise and sees the next move as a stepping stone, then he is perhaps a little more level headed than some fans are making him out to be.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Whatever some fans now think of Tommy, to my mind he was progressing well with good signs that he would move on to bigger and better things - accepting that we all hoped that he could do so with us! He's perhaps been a bit unfortunate that his progress has been hindered by untimely injuries. 

If he's accepting of where he is ability wise and sees the next move as a stepping stone, then he is perhaps a little more level headed than some fans are making him out to be.

If we think that - then surely a level headed player would stay at his boyhood club, sign a new contract (with a buy out clause), work hard for a season, try and become a 20 goal a season striker and see where that takes him!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

If we think that - then surely a level headed player would stay at his boyhood club, sign a new contract (with a buy out clause), work hard for a season, try and become a 20 goal a season striker and see where that takes him!

In an ideal world, we'd hope that would be the case and a few year's back it probably would have been. 

However, my suspicion is that these days agents have a very big influence on what a player choses to do. I suspect that his agent would make a lot more from a £5m transfer to "Boro than he would by Tommy signing a new,enhanced contract with us.  Accordingly, we don't know what seeds might have been sown with Tommy to convince him that his best career move would be to leave Bristol City. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In an ideal world, we'd hope that would be the case and a few year's back it probably would have been. 

However, my suspicion is that these days agents have a very big influence on what a player choses to do. I suspect that his agent would make a lot more from a £5m transfer to "Boro than he would by Tommy signing a new,enhanced contract with us.  Accordingly, we don't know what seeds might have been sown with Tommy to convince him that his best career move would be to leave Bristol City. 

Alternatively, he didn't believe the club is likely to challenge for promotion whereas Boro are. If so it would be hard to disagree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Alternatively, he didn't believe the club is likely to challenge for promotion whereas Boro are. If so it would be hard to disagree.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

City will push on for twine now I’m sure now Conway off

That was always the case. Unsure of how Conway fee is structured but will not be 4.5M. Circa 2M upfront.

The same will be with Twine. Circa 2.5M upfront 

Just now, bristol red said:

That was always the case. Unsure of how Conway fee is structured but will not be 4.5M. Circa 2M upfront.

The same will be with Twine. Circa 2.5M upfront 

Absolutely no chance 2 mill up front , the one thing that I was told a week or more ago that we were not agreeing to some small bit up front and lots of promises hence the long time it has taken for us to agree a deal i believe it’s the main chunk up front with some add ons , Hull coming in made Boro think again 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Absolutely no chance 2 mill up front , the one thing that I was told a week or more ago that we were not agreeing to some small bit up front and lots of promises hence the long time it has taken for us to agree a deal i believe it’s the main chunk up front with some add ons , Hull coming in made Boro think again 

What we wanted and what we get are chalk and cheese.  What was the term Piercy used “heavily weighted to add-ons”?

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Gotta go all in for Twine now. I think we’ve been waiting for the Conway deal to go through to make our move .

Burnley just adjusting their fee 📈

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Gotta go all in for Twine now. I think we’ve been waiting for the Conway deal to go through to make our move .

Why? 

We have money in the bank already. We are well clear of ffp. 

Tommy Conway wasn't on a lot so didn't need to get him off the wage bill to fund Twines wages. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why? 

Tommy Conway wasn't on a lot so didn't need to get him off the wage bill to fund Twines wages. 

Cos that’s what I think they’re doing cos they’re divs 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What we wanted and what we get are chalk and cheese.  What was the term Piercy used “heavily weighted to add-ons”?

Might have been Dave but I was told ,  second hand I admit , that’s not the case which why it has gone on so long , on here people thought it was 2.5 million up front on 5 million then no way we’re saying ok to 2 mill ! 
As said I believe 3 to 3.5 million nearer the mark but none of really know do we , ( inc Piercy ) who we seem to think is a god when he says we want to believe 

We will see at some stage 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Might have been Dave but I was told ,  second hand I admit , that’s not the case which why it has gone on so long , on here people thought it was 2.5 million up front on 5 million then no way we’re saying ok to 2 mill ! 
As said I believe 3 to 3.5 million nearer the mark but none of really know do we , ( inc Piercy ) who we seem to think is a god when he says we want to believe 

We will see at some stage 

I do agree -  there are other reasons it’s dragged on!!!

26 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why? 

Nest Egg 😂

• Like 1

On 10/08/2024 at 16:37, BCFC31 said:

Twine has been given the number 11 shirt read into that what you will and apparently parker absolutely loved him. Manning days we aren't close to any more signings and we just need to " wait and see what may happen " 

Earthy is number 40 so 10 is still available.

Announce Twine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Well if I was SL I think I’d be saying to Liam you have got the positions you asked for (including a 10) so don’t be expecting me to fork out for Twine as well.

But you’re not soooooo

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Manuel Benson on loan will be a nice alternative :laugh: £££

11 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Earthy is number 40 so 10 is still available.

Announce Twine.

Fwiw Earthy wears number 40 for West Ham, but they could have easily have handed him the 10 unless...

Announce Twine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

Becoming a 20 goal a season striker is just as much because of the service you're provided. What confidence do you think Tommy would have had after the service he was given last season under Manning?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Becoming a 20 goal a season striker is just as much because of the service you're provided. What confidence do you think Tommy would have had after the service he was given last season under Manning?

Problem was when had chances he did not often score them

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Problem was when had chances he did not often score them

strange that in 22/23 he had one of the best conversion rates for a striker in the league then, even last season he had the same conversion rate as someone bought for £15m 

Scot Twine... just to keep it on topic :fear:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

7, 9, 10 yes?

Collecting players again are we.

To what end..are we suddenly back expecting a 2 Year top 6/Promotion push?

I think Liam has been given a lot to work with. So therefore he needs to deliver. If we were capable of top 6 last season then surely were now promotion candidates 🥳🥳

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

Fwiw Earthy wears number 40 for West Ham, but they could have easily have handed him the 10 unless...

Announce Twine!

I look forward to seeing how the Twine discussions go now.  No Conway as bait anymore.

Suspect it will happen though.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I look forward to seeing how the Twine discussions go now.  No Conway as bait anymore.

You'd imagine we're just back to square one where there's a price to pay

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No doubt. 

Been rather hectic and arbitrary (both the transfer window and this forum), so much so I had to double check I posted in the Scott Twine thread to talk about him!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We’ll never know I guess, but I always thought Tommy was pretty level-headed, knew he wasn’t quite the sane class as his flatmate nor Antoine.  Confident, ambitious, had a plan?  Absolutely.

Do you think that Conway is far off where Semenyo was at the same stage? Trying to think how many seasons Semenyo has played for us before his move versus Conway. Seem. To recall Tommy broke into the first team and held a place down slightly earlier compared to Antoine who was out on loan more than Conway was?

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You'd imagine we're just back to square one where there's a price to pay

With a bit more money than a few weeks ago.

Fully expect Twine to be coming in now.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we're going to need to be getting much closer to the price they want. 

Can't see them shifting much knowing we have just sold a player. 

I think our valuation was sensible. If we pay anymore then I dont think he's worth it. 

Yeah surely with conway leaving for 4.5m twine will be in the bag before deadline day ! If we get him aswell I will be pretty happy with the business done! Could do with another wide man but that's just being spoilt.

42 minutes ago, redrob said:

Do you think that Conway is far off where Semenyo was at the same stage? Trying to think how many seasons Semenyo has played for us before his move versus Conway. Seem. To recall Tommy broke into the first team and held a place down slightly earlier compared to Antoine who was out on loan more than Conway was?

Think Conway is ahead at similar stage.  Semenyo was just coming off 21/22 where he was exciting, but erratic.  For me Conway is totally “proven”, Semenyo was getting there.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Yeah surely with conway leaving for 4.5m twine will be in the bag before deadline day ! If we get him aswell I will be pretty happy with the business done! Could do with another wide man but that's just being spoilt.

If you go back to the start of the summer / window and think budgets, then you could argue the budget is smaller than we expected to have.  We’ve got significantly less for Conway than we thought we would get, and we’ve already bought Armstrong in, ahead of selling Conway, and also loaned Earthy.

I think this is now about whether SL wants to relax the budget.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If you go back to the start of the summer / window and think budgets, then you could argue the budget is smaller than we expected to have.  We’ve got significantly less for Conway than we thought we would get, and we’ve already bought Armstrong in, ahead of selling Conway, and also loaned Earthy.

I think this is now about whether SL wants to relax the budget.

Stevie says............... RELAX  !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Going to be interesting what sort of reception TC gets when Boro come to town. 

Already contacted Aggro about a TC banner.

Money means nothing when it comes to your boyhood club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 hour ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Ahh yes, let's make a banner criticising him for leaving his boyhood club after they messed him about by withdrawing contract offers and then offering less. 

Makes perfect sense does that. 

He's not leaving because of money. He will of course be earning more. 

It's more to do with principle and the fact Boro are better equipped for him to progress his career and that Carrick obviously wants him, where as Manning didn't. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, bristol red said:

Just the right sided attacker whom we don’t know who is yet. Could be exciting I hear.

8 hours ago, bristol red said:

Twine will be the 10. No doubt 

Didn't Manning say after the cov game that he was hoping for two more attacking players? One of which would've been Earthy, leaving space for just one more?

8 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Going to be interesting what sort of reception TC gets when Boro come to town. 

He'll get booed as football is essentially pantomime, some people will get very upset, some people won't care.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He'll get booed as football is essentially pantomime, some people will get very upset, some people won't care.

He will but if he gets back to form and a smile on his face again we won't want to be facing him we've just sold a quality player to a rival.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think Conway is ahead at similar stage.  Semenyo was just coming off 21/22 where he was exciting, but erratic.  For me Conway is totally “proven”, Semenyo was getting there.

I was inclined to think similar. Will be interestijg to see his trajectory in a team whose playing style suits him more. 

15 minutes ago, Street red said:

He will but if he gets back to form and a smile on his face again we won't want to be facing him we've just sold a quality player to a rival.

Sold to a rival at probably half the price that we previously thought we would get for him. Not the best bit of business we’ve ever done. If we now go and pay double what we think Twine is worth then it just compounds the failure. We are still far from a top six club on the field and even further from it business-wise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

If it were about money he’d have signed the deal not to miss out on being paid more then force his way out 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Street red said:

After watching Boro last night we are a million miles away from being their rivals!

Just now, frenchred said:

After watching Boro last night we are a million miles away from being their rivals!

Yeah I know what your saying, By rival I mean a team in the same league if he stays fit he will get goals for them I'm sure.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Semenyo is 2 levels above Conway. Sublime player. Spurs move next I think. 

Now he is, yes.  He wasn’t at the same stage of his career though.  Plenty of people on this forum giving Semenyo shite for ages before his breakthrough season and a half when we then sold him.  Believe had even had his own special thread dedicated to how awful he is.  The hate for Conway since this debacle started is revisionism of the highest order and it’s been embarrassing.  

• Like 5
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Genuinely pathetic.

• Like 13

According to the Post article this morning, we are still miles apart in terms of valuation.

Whilst I’d like us to sign Twine on a permanent, do we need him now, based on Earthy signing yesterday? Is it going to be too much to rely on a 19 YO (who sounds like a brilliant player) to play all the games we will have as our “10”?

Should we not wait and try again in Jan or next summer when his value will have dropped……or are we that desperate to sign him that we don’t want to run the risk of him going somewhere else by the end of August?

Time will tell……

• Like 1