IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It was 'I'm going to wait 10 games before drawing any firm conclusions'

Now, after 1 game, it's top 6 or bust for Manning.

Twine is a good addition, but not sure he changes things that much does he?

Yes, in terms of progression etc. 

I didn't say top 6 or bust. I said serious top 6 challenge. 

I think bringing in Armstrong, Fally, Earthy, Yu and Twine does change quite a lot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LocoPal said:

Loosing to Coventry in the League Cup, does not help the cause for fringe players, like Stokes at all. They can't push for contention for a first team squad place anymore. Sadly, It really helps no one at all. Just leads to a squad that includes too many unhappy, unutilised players, treading water in training & practice games.

I'm always a bit torn on this.

We have a senior squad of 25, basically 2 players in each position. 

For the majority of them (I'm excluding Stokes because of his age) not being first choice should be an impetus to do the opposite in training, to work hard and earn their right to get into the team. Then when they're there, they should work hard to stay there.

We don't have many 'first name on team sheet' players, there's an opportunity for everyone to impress. If they would rather sulk and tread water then that's on them, not us imo

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

No you are not. I was not sure we needed him after signing Earthy. Also a 4 year deal seems a big commitment.

Still Manning has been given what he wanted, so now has to produce the goods.

Gotta spread that transfer fee (amortisation) over as long a period as you can!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You can just imagine LM in jim jams under the Christmas tree , unwrapping Yu, Sincs, Fally et al and throwing them aside. Suddenly BT comes in saying "Liam ,what's up buddy?" " I didn't get what I really wanted !"      " what's that behind the settee ?"

Unwraps ST and hugs him tightly........... " Oh, Uncle Brian, I really, really wuv you ! "

Early start Slarti? 😂😂

• Haha 2

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

No idea if this one was over 100, but the Conway one went down from about 130 to 40 or 50 a few days ago

Could just be more posts per page

I reckon you and Northern Red could be right. I know Phants was tidying up some things the other day (eg collating the historic matchday threads into the season they featured in) and may have changed that too.

43 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Just what I was thinking how do we have Earthy and Twine in the same line-up?  I can only think Earthy will play a wide roll perhaps. 

42 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Did I read that LM played with 2 10's at MK or have I imagined it?

Not sure how that would work tbh.

3-4-2-1 maybe.

But I wouldn't think he'd start both tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

3-4-2-1 maybe.

But I wouldn't think he'd start both tomorrow.

Let's wait until McCrorie is fit at least before considering wingbacks again?

Tanner isn't a wingback, Sykes can do a job but is inhibited albeit a lack of Attacking output of late may make that more viable.

Yu at Wingback, this would be cavalier.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Now that would be ironic if that was the fee! 👀👀👀

Well backed ✅✅✅

Good recruitment to the model / profiles ✅✅✅ (you underpay a bit on Armstrong and Mayulu, you overpay a bit on Twine, hey-ho, no issues)

Execution of some bits of the summer 💩💩💩

Why the hell we didn’t do this in May lord onky knows?

Not a good look is it!

Sad Baby GIF

Who the **** is Lord Onky? ITK??

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I'm always a bit torn on this.

We have a senior squad of 25, basically 2 players in each position. 

For the majority of them (I'm excluding Stokes because of his age) not being first choice should be an impetus to do the opposite in training, to work hard and earn their right to get into the team. Then when they're there, they should work hard to stay there.

We don't have many 'first name on team sheet' players, there's an opportunity for everyone to impress. If they would rather sulk and tread water then that's on them, not us imo

Thank you for the reply JBFC.

Given such a smaller, more manageable squad, it would be a best situation to have a 1 for 1 replacement for each position, of course. I completely agree.

But, my worry is a little further down the line, in 3-4-5 months, those players who have not been able to make an appearance in cup games, due to losses, can't truely prove themselves in a more pressurised match.

And, most can't show up for the U21's (except perhaps Stokes/Murphy and one or two mature players as agreed in advance, of course).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's wait until McCrorie is fit at least before considering wingbacks again?

Tanner isn't a wingback, Sykes can do a job but is inhibited albeit a lack of Attacking output of late may make that more viable.

Yu at Wingback, this would be cavalier.

I don't think you need to have 2 x wingbacks, we can play with Pring being an attacking player and Tanner covering at the back. It doesn't have to be rigid.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, LocoPal said:

Given such a smaller, more manageable squad, it would be a best situation to have a 1 for 1 replacement for each position, of course. I completely agree.

But, my worry is a little further down the line, in 3-4-5 months, those players who have not been able to make an appearance in cup games, due to losses, can't truely prove themselves in a more pressurised match.

And, most can't show up for the U21's (except perhaps Stokes/Murphy and one or two mature players as agreed in advance, of course).

Yep I get that, although I guess the 'senior' players wouldn't be content with just starting cup matches anyway. So this would be an issue regardless?

I'd hope they're all professional enough to fight for their place in the team and not sulk if they don't get picked but we'll have to see!

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I don't think you need to have 2 x wingbacks, we can play with Pring being an attacking player and Tanner covering at the back. It doesn't have to be rigid.

Hmm.that could he one way in certain phases, risk v reward but there is also a risk of overload 2 v 1 and so on.

Something like..?

Tanner Vyner Naismith Dickie Pring

?

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Idk. You know that things may not always be straight forward. It is possible Burnley wanted to have a look at him. Maybe they wanted him in case surprise bids came for others. Maybe they could just afford to wait? See if we panic. I think ST was the least important to get done early though would have been nice two weeks ago. Possible we just felt more comfortable knowing what we are getting for TC too. 

I think we look at millions too lightly. These are still huge investments in reality. I am just grateful for a good window. It’s been years since we had one like this and there is genuine potential for a special season.

For all the leaks, the business still looks good. I don’t see much overpay. We got most of it done early. We got to assess the majority of the squad in a pre season. Take out the noise and it looks professionally done imo. Seems messy with the noise but we got everything we wanted. Also feels like mostly top 2-3 choices have been brought in. Didn’t get the feel anyone was a we needed someone so let’s settle. 

Spot On...........best window for ages.  I also believe we played the transfer game exactly right?  We have ended up with a strong balanced squad, which appears   capable of challenging some of the best sides?   Now all we have to worry about are injuries !?.................Ahhhhhhhh!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Now what are we going to argue about ? 

Don't worry Major.....based on previous experience, I'm sure we can find plenty of other things😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Spot On...........best window for ages.  I also believe we played the transfer game exactly right?  We have ended up with a strong balanced squad, which appears   capable of challenging some of the best sides?   Now all we have to worry about are injuries !?.................Ahhhhhhhh!

Helps when FFP isn't in the rear view mirror of course and while we still had to be mindful the pressure was much less.

• Like 2

For tomorrow , I don't think too much will change . Same sort of shape we have played so far, maybe Twine comes in. 
By the time we get to the International break Yu and McCrorie could be fit , Atkinson too maybe ?
That will give Manning the chance to play the side he imagined when he agreed on the signings.
Be interesting to see if he goes back 3 , 2 "10"s or even 2 strikers . But until then he may not change things .

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

You can just imagine LM in jim jams under the Christmas tree , unwrapping Yu, Sincs, Fally et al and throwing them aside. Suddenly BT comes in saying "Liam ,what's up buddy?" " I didn't get what I really wanted !"      " what's that behind the settee ?"

Unwraps ST and hugs him tightly........... " Oh, Uncle Brian, I really, really wuv you ! "

And he threw in a poster too for LM’s bedroom….

IMG_5244.jpeg

33 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Fully expecting both Twine and Earthy to start tomorrow. No way have either come to us to be benchers and rightly so. They are both a step up on what we already have here. 

I think both will be competing for one spot. However if both fit expect them to share the 90 minutes, that way neither should get burnt out when the fixtures come thick and fast.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Oh dear. That’s a vision! 😂 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gotta spread that transfer fee (amortisation) over as long a period as you can!

4 years seems to have become the norm now doesn’t it Dave?

And not just us, but across the Championship.

Or am I just imagining that? It always used to be 3, maybe 3.5 for a January signing.

I’d assumed it was simply that nowadays we seem to start worrying when there’s 2 years left on a contract - about having to sell cheaply when it gets down to one year. And by the time it gets to one, well, selling becomes the priority. And in that scenario starting with 4 makes more sense.

But what you say also makes sense ……and I guess they’re linked in a way. 

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think both will be competing for one spot. However if both fit expect them to share the 90 minutes, that way neither should get burnt out when the fixtures come thick and fast.

I see a 70min/20min split for Twine/Earthy, then followed by 60min/30min & then they're both truely in competition to start a match. It could happen quickly!

• Like 1

We’ve finally landed ST! What a long drawn out saga it’s been. I was told today we offered £2m in Jan to which Burnley declined. We then bizarrely went back this summer with an offer of 1.5m which as you can imagine hacked  Burnley off. They told us to take a running jump, and they then  dug their heels in to up the price. So now we have paid 3m upfront with 1m in add ons. Quite a fee. 

I really hope ST delivers because Manning really has gone all out to get his man, and has been backed by the board. Liam it’s over to you.

• Like 1

Happy as Larry to see him back, our win ratio when he started for us last season, was league topping form! And love the club's tweets on it as well. Big shout out to the fan that posted every day until he resigned.... Will I think

Football is no longer  a 11 v 11 sport..........it is now a squad game, where players are slotted in and out as the game progresses?  Earthy and Twine will both get opportunities as the season,  and matches continue.  There will be injuries, losses'  of form and tactical switches during games.  It is not a case of "how to fit Twine and Earthy into the same side?".  The beauty of having roughly 2 players for each position allows the manager to see who is playing well, who is struggling,  and who might need a rest?  Over the course of 46 league matches + Cup games,  all kinds of incidents, injuries, suspensions etc will occur.  Cream generally rises to the top, and the competition within the squad of players will hopefully  motivate each of them to do their best.  I am certain that there will be some surprise performances from certain players, and also some who will prove inconsistent, and not be up to it?   I am hoping for a side who can play to a consistent level, whoever comes in and out of our formation?   It's a long hard season in the Regular Championship...............Don't you Know?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Football is no longer  a 11 v 11 sport..........it is now a squad game, where players are slotted in and out as the game progresses?  Earthy and Twine will both get opportunities as the season,  and matches continue.  There will be injuries, losses'  of form and tactical switches during games.  It is not a case of "how to fit Twine and Earthy into the same side?".  The beauty of having roughly 2 players for each position allows the manager to see who is playing well, who is struggling,  and who might need a rest?  Over the course of 46 league matches + Cup games,  all kinds of incidents, injuries, suspensions etc will occur.  Cream generally rises to the top, and the competition within the squad of players will hopefully  motivate each of them to do their best.  I am certain that there will be some surprise performances from certain players, and also some who will prove inconsistent, and not be up to it?   I am hoping for a side who can play to a consistent level, whoever comes in and out of our formation?   It's a long hard season in the Regular Championship...............Don't you Know?

Yep, 9 subs- up to 5 substitutions is it, very much a squad game now.

1 hour ago, LocoPal said:

Think you can play 3 over-aged outfield players and an overage goalie without any agreement.  You can play more with agreement.  Is that right @Lrrr?

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

4 years seems to have become the norm now doesn’t it Dave?

And not just us, but across the Championship.

Or am I just imagining that? It always used to be 3, maybe 3.5 for a January signing.

I’d assumed it was simply that nowadays we seem to start worrying when there’s 2 years left on a contract - about having to sell cheaply when it gets down to one year. And by the time it gets to one, well, selling becomes the priority. And in that scenario starting with 4 makes more sense.

But what you say also makes sense ……and I guess they’re linked in a way. 

Agree. It feels that way.  We are established at this level, the market is picking up, and (as you say) I think with it now becoming a worry about re-contracting 24-18 months out, if you give a 3-year deal (flat) you are only one season away from thinking about their next contract.

4-years feels right for a player you expect to be a established member of your squad.

Agree, at Championship level, you have to protect yourself from PL and PP vultures.  In the lower levels of the EFL you’ll see much more 12 and 24 month deals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We have the tools now. Potentially still a ‘proper’ goalscorer away, but that could come in Jan if we are in a good place imo. Over to you LM!

Think one of those just rented a flat near Middlesbrough 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Same for Twine. He's been set up as the key player for Manning so will need to deliver consistently.

Less so for Twine id suggest, as you cant sack players !

Agree with your point though, he is Mannings standard bearer.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think you can play 3 over-aged outfield players and an overage goalie without any agreement.  You can play more with agreement.  Is that right @Lrrr?

Think it could be 5 now, haven’t really paid too close attention for a couple of years 

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We have the tools now. Potentially still a ‘proper’ goalscorer away, but that could come in Jan if we are in a good place imo. Over to you LM!

I was assuming we signed Armstrong and Malulu for that reason.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well done Brian Tinnion and the team. Never thought it would happen but credit where it is due. Great signing.

Genuine questiin: Who does the deal for us ? I cant imagine Tinnion doing that tbh although im not sure who we have nowadays who I can envisage negotiating.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Now that would be ironic if that was the fee! 👀👀👀

Well backed ✅✅✅

Good recruitment to the model / profiles ✅✅✅ (you underpay a bit on Armstrong and Mayulu, you overpay a bit on Twine, hey-ho, no issues)

Execution of some bits of the summer 💩💩💩

Why the hell we didn’t do this in May lord onky knows?

Not a good look is it!

Sad Baby GIF

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Zante’s nice end of May…

I think I might be just a tad old for that these days 😂 Not long returned from southern Italy. Puglia region. Stunning. 

Anyway hotel booked just in case 🙃

Just now, Jose said:

I think I might be just a tad old for that these days 😂 Not long returned from southern Italy. Puglia region. Stunning. 

Anyway hotel booked just in case 🙃

Depends what part you go to. Can highly recommend Tsivili for us more discerning gentlemen…!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

I haven’t been so excited since we were thinking about how to fit Palmer, Szmodics and Paterson into the same team. 

and that ended up with Szmodics not being given a true chance to establish himself. Tells you all you need to know about LJ, when you see what Szmodics has achieved after being sold on the cheap by us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

I’ll tell you what, if City pull off the Twine deal ALL City fans should clap their hands in appreciation of these summer signings 

Including the owners who would have had a big say in things 

For the new season 

BIRD

HIRAKAW

MAYULU

ARMSTRONG 

STOKES

EARTHY 

TWINE 

Is nothing short of tremendous  

Well done City 🔴⚪🔴

👏👏👏👏👏

Yeah to be fair the club have had a great summer !!!! And manning has been backed to the hilt now so there is 0 hiding places for him this season. With the squad we have I expect us to finish in the top 8 hopefully grabbing that last 6th spot play off place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

and that ended up with Szmodics not being given a true chance to establish himself. Tells you all you need to know about LJ, when you see what Szmodics has achieved after being sold on the cheap by us.

So just refresh us how did Sammy do the next 2 seasons after he left us?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I now expect a serious top 6 challange. 

I expected 6th to 10th at this point last season. 

Manning has a ❌️ in the box for failing to get the best out of our existing players. 

He's been backed in a similar manner to Lee Johnson. 

There simply now needs to be a big improvement. 

Over to you Liam...

I stick my neck out and say you're going to be wrong. Improvement yes/maybe/lets see. Top 6 = no.

I dont think he's the player that will make us a top 6 side. I'll be pleased to be proved wrong.

Anyone get the impression he really wants to be here? Looks genuinely chuffed to be here and have it sorted. I’m looking for improvement from last season but now he is here permanently and fit, there’s no reason why he can’t kick on. 

I am absolutely buzzing for tomorrow. 

Edited by Jose

Having just got back from another long drive to this news, I’m totally nonplussed, and remain of the mind that (particularly with Earthy on board) I wouldn’t have done the deal based both on the loan spell and the price. 

However, this is now seven incomings this summer that Liam has been trusted with (anyone else in the club sign a “magnificent seven” once?) to a squad which the board had already stated could be pushed on so he’s been totally backed and is out of excuses. Time to deliver now. My view of Twine is that he’s totally ordinary and won’t move the dial for us so I see no need to change my prior lower mid table view, but if I’m right (and I’ll be delighted not to be) then  the judgement of the whole recruitment team in paying over the odds for an uninspiring loanee as their difference maker should be their own epitaph.

Still, glass half full - one less shirt for Mehmeti to potentially fill.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Yeah to be fair the club have had a great summer !!!! And manning has been backed to the hilt now so there is 0 hiding places for him this season. With the squad we have I expect us to finish in the top 8 hopefully grabbing that last 6th spot play off place.

Yep, there are no excuses now. Time to deliver.

• Like 1