IGNORED

Scott Twine - Signed on Four Year Deal - Official

BCFC31

11 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He's a good player.

He improves our starting XI.

Who would we rather have playing wide Left - Twine, Mehmeti, Bell? No contest.

Who would we rather have playing as a 10 - Twine, Knight, whoever? No contest.

The price is the price.

@Harry might burst a blood vessel but the rest of us just have to live with it. It is what it is when you're buying a player from a Prem team.

Exactly how I see it.

Plus, what is the point in appointing Manning & then not letting him sign his number one target? Not as if he’s after Lionel Messi.

Conway & his contract shenanigans definitely complicates matters but we need to proceed with bringing the 3 in positions we were originally after & then resolve TC’s situation & potential replacement when Scotland are out of the Euros.

Based on their first game, that will be pretty soon..

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think Twine is any better than Freeman, Paterson or Tomlin. Just more of the same. 

Technically speaking, i dont think we have ever signed many players that are on the same level of Tomlin, however attitude and professionalism wise he is certainly one of the worst…..which is why we were able to get him i guess!

Im comfortable with the signing of Twine so long as its not much more than £2mil - i get what you are saying regarding him not being any better that Freeman/Paterson, but i think he will provide a bit more of a goal threat, that said i certainly cant see him turning us in to promotion candidates if this is what Tinnion and Manning are banking on.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Plus, what is the point in appointing Manning & then not letting him sign his number one target? Not as if he’s after Lionel Messi.

Firstly it should be a club target, not just Manning. We should all be wanting to sign the right players, based on our philosophy / style. 

Twine could be £2.5-3m. We haven't got tens of millions we can spend, he may end up being about 60-70% of our budget. Is Twine at that price (with decent wages), better value than signing potentially 2x £1m players? I don't know. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

Firstly it should be a club target, not just Manning. We should all be wanting to sign the right players, based on our philosophy / style. 

Twine could be £2.5-3m. We haven't got tens of millions we can spend, he may end up being about 60-70% of our budget. Is Twine at that price (with decent wages), better value than signing potentially 2x £1m players? I don't know. 

City were interested in Twine before Manning came in, just when Manning came in he jumped to number 1 target 

13 minutes ago, Selred said:

I agree that the player should be a club target. It’s uncommon for managers to outlast players nowadays, so there should be an element of long-term planning for every signing. 

However, for years we hoped we would spend on quality, rather than buying quantity for a cheaper price.

Twine at £2.5m - £3m seems a good deal to me. 

My worry with looking for players for circa £1m, is the market doesn’t reflect their actual value. £1m doesn’t go far nowadays. 

Peterborough are rumoured to want £5m for Poku (example based on price, not alternative). To get Twine for cheaper seems like positive business based on his CV.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

City were interested in Twine before Manning came in, just when Manning came in he jumped to number 1 target 

If only that was 3 years before! 😉😉😉

Wonder if he was on our list, or Burnley pushing him last summer for a loan?

• Like 1

At least with Twine, the disappointment is factored in. People won’t get too excited as they know the cut of his jib: Burnley reject etc, not very impressive in loan spell, maybe a bit flakey injury wise, not that much better than we have and certainly worse than what we had. 

Counter that with the arrival of the new messiah in July only to prove to be the new Kilkenny by September. 

Don’t forget guys, we’re kind of shopping in Poundland. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Selred said:

At the risk of repeating myself that’s why it should be Manning’s call.

If our entire summer budget is say £6m & he’s prepared to spend £3.5m of that to get Twine, he then knows how much is left for our other two targets.

It really doesn’t matter what I (or anyone else on the forum) would do, if Manning says yes we crack on & if that means a striker in the £1.5m price range so be it.

What is clear is the stuff being said a while ago about SL giving “his man” funds that were denied to Pearson is nonsense, this is how we operate going forward whoever is in the dugout.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At the risk of repeating myself that’s why it should be Manning’s call.

If our entire summer budget is say £6m & he’s prepared to spend £3.5m of that to get Twine, he then knows how much is left for our other two targets.

It really doesn’t matter what I (or anyone else on the forum) would do, if Manning says yes we crack on & if that means a striker in the £1.5m price range so be it.

What is clear is the stuff being said a while ago about SL giving “his man” funds that were denied to Pearson is nonsense, this is how we operate going forward whoever is in the dugout.

The only thing I’d possibly challenge is is Manning expected to generate £millions from player sales each season to fund recruitment, or is he using the buffer built before he arrived?

• Like 5

Just now, Davefevs said:

The only thing I’d possibly challenge is is Manning expected to generate £millions from player sales each season to fund recruitment, or is he using the buffer built before he arrived?

Yes the nest egg was clearly created for him. Not him specifically. Just anyone but Pearson. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I agree that the player should be a club target. It’s uncommon for managers to outlast players nowadays, so there should be an element of long-term planning for every signing. 

However, for years we hoped we would spend on quality, rather than buying quantity for a cheaper price.

Twine at £2.5m - £3m seems a good deal to me. 

My worry with looking for players for circa £1m, is the market doesn’t reflect their actual value. £1m doesn’t go far nowadays. 

Peterborough are rumoured to want £5m for Poku (example based on price, not alternative). To get Twine for cheaper seems like positive business based on his CV.

I'd not use Peterborough as a benchmark for player prices, they are one of the best at getting full dollar for their players.

A better example would be Finn Azaz for Middlesbrough. Cost £2.5m. Probably lower wages than Twine too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair point.

28 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Twine will be class for us if we can get the correct players around him in the final 3rd of the pitch 

😂😂

Agreed, if he signs that will still leave us with the 7 and 9 to sort out, though paying a bit more for the 9 might be easier if/ when conway goes. If it was miovski, plus an upgraded right winger, willock for example, hopefully we will have a bit more spark going forward 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Talking of Miovski, I saw an line the other day that said £7m??

Would rule us out 1000%, CL qualified Bologna are meant to be looking.

But if it is Miovski, remember initially Aberdeen were said to be wanting £4m for McCrorie.

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

But if it is Miovski, remember initially Aberdeen were said to be wanting £4m for McCrorie.

This is true, perhaps Aberdeen can be haggled down a bit. A side flush in the CL though (Bologna) may pay that- doubt they budgeted for top 4 so they will have unplanned money to spend.

So you are saying that Aberdeen are the Bristol Rovers of Scottish football? :whistle:

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true, perhaps Aberdeen can be haggled down a bit. A side flush in the CL though (Bologna) may pay that- doubt they budgeted for top 4 so they will have unplanned money to spend.

Be interesting to see if their interest (or our's) is serious though or paper talk.

I don't really picture us chasing the same targets as a club that finished 5th in Serie A so it's a bit strange.

One of us isn't in for Miovski.

Be interesting to see if their interest (or our's) is serious though or paper talk.

I don't really picture us chasing the same targets as a club that finished 5th in Serie A so it's a bit strange.

One of us isn't in for Miovski.

Birmingham relegated to the 3rd tier are my favourite! Not in terms of who gets him but for randomness...why would be go there at this time.

Bologna are generally a midtable side, or middle third, them getting into the CL my guess would be totally unplanned, maybe be was on their shortlist before.

I'd have thought that if CL sides are genuinely in for him, we wouldn't have a great chance.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If only that was 3 years before! 😉😉😉

Wonder if he was on our list, or Burnley pushing him last summer for a loan?

Certainly City interest, just under Pearson he wasn’t as high on the list 

New Post update: Bristol City able to keep a close eye on Scott Twine as transfer talks continue with Burnley - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Very weird: 

Bristol Live understands Twine has been using the High-Performance Centre to undertake some of his off-season training ahead of the start of pre-season at the end of this month, whether that be for City or at Gawthorpe Hall with Burnley.

• Haha 1

Just now, CTIDhc said:

New Post update: Bristol City able to keep a close eye on Scott Twine as transfer talks continue with Burnley - Bristol Live (bristolpost.co.uk)

Very weird: 

Bristol Live understands Twine has been using the High-Performance Centre to undertake some of his off-season training ahead of the start of pre-season at the end of this month, whether that be for City or at Gawthorpe Hall with Burnley.

So it’s true he’s been at the training ground…not true he will be signed this week

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Agreed, if he signs that will still leave us with the 7 and 9 to sort out, though paying a bit more for the 9 might be easier if/ when conway goes. If it was miovski, plus an upgraded right winger, willock for example, hopefully we will have a bit more spark going forward 

The issue I have here, Willock is one I am keen on but if we are going with a back 3 with wingbacks, let alone a back 3 with two 10s.

It all seems questionably planned right now, let's see.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

So it’s true he’s been at the training ground…not true he will be signed this week

Tbf I can see why someone would put 2+2 together and get “ah Scott Twine is at the HPC in city gear, he’ll be announced this week then”

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lavington Robin said:

Piercy reporting in the post that Twine is currently training at the HPC & that a deal is likely.

Didn’t say it’s likely only said City are confident 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It all seems questionably planned right now, let's see.

I think that’s all we can do MrP, is wait for rumours to turn from shifting sands to quick-drying cement…and then try to work out the plan.

• Like 1

So the only truth in this is that Twine is using the HPC because City want to keep him around and be able to stay in touch with him. in reality we’re allowing a Burnley player to our facility to get himself ready for Pre-season which unless something happens in the next few days will be with Burnley 

😂

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So the only truth in this is that Twine is using the HPC because City want to keep him around and be able to stay in touch with him. in reality we’re allowing a Burnley player to our facility to get himself ready for Pre-season which unless something happens in the next few days will be with Burnley 

😂

Yeah this seems odd even for us...

I hope, it means a deal is closer than being reported and we're keeping cards close to our chest until all done and dusted. 

If he doesn't sign for us now though the easiest money you'll ever make is £10 on Twine first goalscorer whenever he plays us.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

At some point we do have to properly invest in quality. Whether Twine is that player is another conversation but it’s a mammoth task to get into the top 6 only buying £1m players.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KegCity said:

At some point we do have to properly invest in quality. Whether Twine is that player is another conversation but it’s a mammoth task to get into the top 6 only buying £1m players.

You are right but can you really see the Lansdowns "properly investing". It will not happen.

15 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Yeah this seems odd even for us...

I hope, it means a deal is closer than being reported and we're keeping cards close to our chest until all done and dusted. 

If he doesn't sign for us now though the easiest money you'll ever make is £10 on Twine first goalscorer whenever he plays us.

I thought it was quite common for players to use local facilities, although admittedly that's usually out of contract players. 

When was his loan contract up, end of May or June?

21 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Oh I agree. I don't see our investment matching our ambitions.

Although Luton did well with that approach... but they didn't have JL and Tinnion either.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought it was quite common for players to use local facilities, although admittedly that's usually out of contract players. 

When was his loan contract up, end of May or June?

Most English loans seem to be 31st May to cover playoffs whereas international loans seem to be 30th June.  But I guess it depends on how long you agree / are willing to pay them until / how much choice you have in driving that decision!

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

😂

Yes training with us using our facilities and medical / fitness teams and is going to sit in on our team meetings and what formation we tend to play for certain games before going back to Burnley to complete his signing to Birmingham 👀

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

Depends how much credit you give to him for the 13.6% of their matches he played. (564 minutes out of 4140 possible)

I wouldn’t know how many minutes he played or percentage of their matches he was involved in while at Burnley. 

Fair play to you for pointing those stats out 👍

9 minutes ago, 0606 said:

Its really not the big deal you are making out, smart move by the club - he’s not suddenly going to be out of shape if he is using Burnley’s facilities.

Smart move by which club?  Us or Burnley?

3 minutes ago, marksy said:

I wouldn’t know how many minutes he played or percentage of their matches he was involved in while at Burnley. 

He got injured in their first game of the 22/23 season (having signed that summer), was out until December, but which time the likes of Zaroury had come in and starred.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, redkev said:

Yes training with us using our facilities and medical / fitness teams and is going to sit in on our team meetings and what formation we tend to play for certain games before going back to Burnley to complete his signing to Birmingham 👀

Thats the most bristol city thing ive heard in days.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Smart move by which club?  Us or Burnley?

He got injured in their first game of the 22/23 season (having signed that summer), was out until December, but which time the likes of Zaroury had come in and starred.  

are you really 54???  i wouldnt have had you at 45 let alone that old😆

17 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

are you really 54???  i wouldnt have had you at 45 let alone that old😆

Easy paper round….in fact no paper round at all, too much sport playing to have a evening / weekend job.

(You smooth talking bar steward)

Edited by Davefevs

9 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Exactly. People moan about not progressing, then get all uptight about the price. That's the prices that you have to pay these days unless you want to take a punt on an unknown quantity. Twine is a solid, capable, proven championship player. He is exactly the type of player that we need. In terms of cost, its spot on. 

COYRs 

Except he’s not is he Ghostie? He’s a solid, capable, proven league one player who played 14 games in the championship for Burnley, who seem happy to let him go on returning to this level. Hull at this level were happy to let him go and he had an underwhelming loan spell here.

So, two of three clubs at this level haven’t wanted to keep him and the one that wants to sign him is doing so despite an indifferent loan spell.

He may become a solid, capable, proven championship player. But he isn’t that at this moment in time and that, in addition to the reduced overall budget we seem to have, is why people are baulking at the price.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2

14 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Exactly. People moan about not progressing, then get all uptight about the price. That's the prices that you have to pay these days unless you want to take a punt on an unknown quantity. Twine is a solid, capable, proven championship player. He is exactly the type of player that we need. In terms of cost, its spot on. 

COYRs 

We don’t even know if he’s signing yet so it could all be irrelevant anyway, but again we do need to sign more than up and coming players if we want to move up the table.

Azaz is being mentioned, were we not beaten by a better offer from Boro? I’m still yet to see an alternative player we could bring in. Twine was solid if unremarkable and our results improved with him in the side. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Except he’s not is he Ghostie? He’s a solid, capable, proven league one player who played 14 games in the championship for Burnley, who seem happy to let him go on returning to this level. Hull at this level were happy to let him go and he had an underwhelming loan spell here.

So, two of three clubs at this level haven’t wanted to keep him and the one that wants to sign him is doing so despite an indifferent loan spell.

He may become a solid, capable, proven championship player. But he isn’t that at this moment in time and that, in addition to the reduced overall budget we seem to have, is why people are baulking at the price.

He’s shown he was solid whilst here, definitely room for improvement but personally think it’s silly to suggest he hasn’t shown he’s up to the standard. He could definitely have done more but there’s obvious quality there and we improved with him in the side. I’m a big pessimist and I can see that.

Is he the man to get us into the top 6? Nobody knows. I don’t see a realistic alternative out there that isn’t a punt from league one but am happy to be told otherwise.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

He’s shown he was solid whilst here, definitely room for improvement but personally think it’s silly to suggest he hasn’t shown he’s up to the standard. He could definitely have done more but there’s obvious quality there and we improved with him in the side. I’m a big pessimist and I can see that.

Is he the man to get us into the top 6? Nobody knows. I don’t see a realistic alternative out there that isn’t a punt from league one but am happy to be told otherwise.

The reality is that he is a punt from league one in a lot of ways. His last “good” season was there, two years ago. There were flashes in the loan spell definitely but nothing where you’d say he’s the man to make the difference. So, I’d absolutely say he’s not at this point a “proven” championship performer - because over three clubs, based on the evidence of our own eyes, and the other clubs willingness to get rid, he’s not really “proven” things at this level.

Put it this way - I’m far more enthused about the signing of Bird and Stokes than I am a guy in his mid 20s with limited upside, recent injuries and an underwhelming record at this level.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

The reality is that he is a punt from league one in a lot of ways. His last “good” season was there, two years ago. There were flashes in the loan spell definitely but nothing where you’d say he’s the man to make the difference. So, I’d absolutely say he’s not at this point a “proven” championship performer - because over three clubs, based on the evidence of our own eyes, and the other clubs willingness to get rid, he’s not really “proven” things at this level.

Put it this way - I’m far more enthused about the signing of Bird and Stokes than I am a guy in his mid 20s with limited upside, recent injuries and an underwhelming record at this level.

We clearly see things very differently! Being a steady performer for Burnley and Hull (the latter who got rid of him to accommodate a better loan player rather than being dissatisfied with Twine) and improving our team suggests to me he’s more than a punt from League One. That might seem pedantic but it’s a big difference for me.

Bird is a good signing, Stokes is a complete unknown.  I’m not saying Twine is perfect, I just don’t think this transfer is the complete car crash waste of money many are suggesting it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bcfc24 said:

Alan Nixon saying despite Bristol Lives report Birmingham are still confident as they believe they can out bid Bristol City in an auction

Haha, Nixon supporting his North West teams….driving that price up!

(I’m just being speculative, I’ve no idea)

9 minutes ago, Bcfc24 said:

Alan Nixon saying despite Bristol Lives report Birmingham are still confident as they believe they can out bid Bristol City in an auction

6 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Not much doubt of that.

If Twine was to go Birmingham I would say he isn't a player we want anyway. It would seem a very unambitious move on his part.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just on this training with city thing, surely theres no way a club would let a contracted multi million pound footballer use the facilities of another club unless the deal was sorted,,,, if he hurts himself in anyway there will be all sorts of potential legal consequences about who is liable for recovery costs, salary etc?

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

Just on this training with city thing, surely theres no way a club would let a contracted multi million pound footballer use the facilities of another club unless the deal was sorted,,,, if he hurts himself in anyway there will be all sorts of potential legal consequences about who is liable for recovery costs, salary etc?

At reception he’ll have to sign a waiver that he’s using the facilities at his own risk….

….Tinnion just slipped a contract under the carbon paper! 😜😜😜

(I’ve no idea what the “form” is for this kinda thing)

5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Would be no different to a player getting injured doing their own training regime when they go on holiday and use complex gyms and pitches

If Brum cause a bidding war and drive the price north of, say, 3 million. We should back out. But I suspect Twine’s desire to play in the Championship, at a Club he knows, with a manager and players he knows, can hopefully keep Brum out the equation? He can say no to a deal after all and take them out the race, and Burnley would rather sell for less to us than keep him around unhappy and eventually lose him for even less.

All speculation.

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

If Brum cause a bidding war and drive the price north of, say, 3 million. We should back out. But I suspect Twine’s desire to play in the Championship, at a Club he knows, with a manager and players he knows, can hopefully keep Brum out the equation? He can say no to a deal after all and take them out the race, and Burnley would rather sell for less to us than keep him around unhappy and eventually lose him for even less.

All speculation.

I’d say if they bid £4m there is no way Burnley accept £3m (and that’s too much) from us unless it goes hand in hand with Twine waiving a lot under his current contract. I’m talking things like loyalty bonuses, them making up any shortfall in wage if he moves to us etc. 

If you’re Burnley, you’d say to Twine either you accept the acceptable deal to us or you stay here. And I don’t think he can afford a stagnant/barely playing there year without it ruining his long term value - at that point he is a league one signing and the wage reduction that goes with that.

If Brum outbid us, Burnley won’t accept a deal from us because Scott wants to come here. The only way we could be clearer we want Twine is if Tinnion stood with a sandwich board and a megaphone outside Turf Moor - in that circumstance, Burnley - not us, not the player, hold all the cards.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d say if they bid £4m there is no way Burnley accept £3m (and that’s too much) from us unless it goes hand in hand with Twine waiving a lot under his current contract. I’m talking things like loyalty bonuses, them making up any shortfall in wage if he moves to us etc. 

If you’re Burnley, you’d say to Twine either you accept the acceptable deal to us or you stay here. And I don’t think he can afford a stagnant/barely playing there year without it ruining his long term value - at that point he is a league one signing and the wage reduction that goes with that.

If Brum outbid us, Burnley won’t accept a deal from us because Scott wants to come here. The only way we could be clearer we want Twine is if Tinnion stood with a sandwich board and a megaphone outside Turf Moor - in that circumstance, Burnley - not us, not the player, hold all the cards.

Burnley can't make Twine sign for Birmingham either, though. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

No, the player holds all the cards. If Twine doesn't want to go, he doesn't want to go. The club can't make him do anything. In every situation, the player holds the cards.
If Twine really is training with us, its clear that he wants to come here. Birmingham could offer £35m if they want, but if Twine doesn't want to go, nothing happens. 

In a hypothetical scenario, if Birmingham offers £4 million and we offer £3 million for Twine, and Birmingham’s offer is rejected, our bid would become a consideration. If no other offers that interest Twine come in, it’s worth noting that Twine’s value will decrease significantly in January due to the remaining six months on their contract so its likely that our bid would then be accepted. 

Nonsense. As an ex footballer you should know this….

The player is coming off two indifferent seasons. He can’t afford another. A season in the stiffs destroys his future wage value and makes him yesterdays man. Burnley have no need to sell, particularly if they have what they consider a sub optimum bid from a club who have shown their hand in a massively naive manner and are desparate to sign him.

Also, in January he’ll have 18 months left on his deal not six. So, his value won’t decrease significantly then, or make our bid any more attractive. If it was 12 months left now a la Conway you may have a case, but it’s not….

And the player is not training with us. Hes using the facilities (further showing our desperation and weakening our negotiating hand). The players aren’t in training.

Other than that, 10/10, no notes

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tim Monaghan said:

If Twine really is training with us, its clear that he wants to come here.

I just see it as a case of Twine is in the south west on his time off using appropriate facilities. None of City’s staff will be working with him he’s just using the HPC for his own training programme, which was more than likely provided by Burnley. 

• Admin
3 hours ago, marksy said:

Facts over feelings.

• Flames 1