IGNORED

Come on Scotland

40 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

"Goosesteppers"? Really? Pathetic 

Pathetic - really just because it doesn’t fit your narrative , not something I would say but if it’s not your thing it may someone else’s thing 

Seemed to me the Scots were using zonal marking in their own half in live play. There were more empty pockets than a disused snooker club, and the Germans didn't need to be asked twice. I did try to use my head and expect a dour 0-0 but my heart made the better prediction as it turns out. Still, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet, two more games to go and all that. I must admit, though, that there is a faint whiff of '78 about the Scots now.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2024 at 16:06, Slacker said:

I support Scotland in exactly the same way they support us.

I was quite naive until I was about 30. I genuinely thought that all the ‘home’ nations supported each other, so I would cheer on Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and even the RoI too. 
I’ve seen the light since then - the Scots in particular seem to want us to lose and put loads of energy and effort in supporting our opponents. I remember some sad bastards  being interviewed on TV admitting it. Buying tickets to every England game to support the opposition. 
I get the feeling that the Welsh feel similar, only they keep it to strong ‘banter’ level, but to the Scots it’s hugely important for England to lose. 
I don’t feel euphoric about the result. Just rather indifferent really - a bit like I do when Rovers lose. I smile slightly but ultimately Scotland (or Rovers) results don’t seriously affect my moods. 

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Change wording

3 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Admins please change topic title to Come Home Scotland 

From a Bristol City perspective if Scotland qualify for the next round then we'd recieve more money for our 2 players being there for longer. 

Not massive amounts of money but still a decent amount of money that will be greatly recieved. 

Conways surprise call up probably covers the money we spent on Mebude 😉 

So really we should change the topic title to stay in Germany Scotland. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I’m Scottish, and that was embarrassing.

You could see Robertson was terrified in the tunnel, and the leader sets the tone.

Then, to really cement things, the players celebrate winning a goal kick in the 3rd minute.

Not sure what was going on with the team selection and tactics either. There were players in that starting line-up who aren’t even starting for their clubs… and their clubs aren’t Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

We definitely deserve to be there, as we had a strong set of qualifiers, but to not turn up like that is a disgrace.

The only positive is that a complete overhaul of the team for the next couple of games is a possibility, so McCrorie and Tommy may get some minutes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

How bad must Spain be ????!!!??

Difference playing in Scotland in front of a home crowd I guess.

And Scotland had some form then.

Probably tried to do the same thing last night but all went in the bin after 10 minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

You could see Robertson was terrified in the tunnel, and the leader sets the tone.

Then, to really cement things, the players celebrate winning a goal kick in the 3rd minute.

Not sure what was going on with the team selection and tactics either. There were players in that starting line-up who aren’t even starting for their clubs… and their clubs aren’t Real Madrid or Bayern Munich.

We definitely deserve to be there, as we had a strong set of qualifiers, but to not turn up like that is a disgrace.

The only positive is that a complete overhaul of the team for the next couple of games is a possibility, so McCrorie and Tommy may get some minutes.

It's funny you say that, because I thought Scotland looked fairly composed for the first ten minutes!

• Hmmm 1

Scotland have and have had a very solid Home record across qualifiers for a few years now. That underpins.

There are always some sides who look genuinely competent and competitive even in tricky mid range groups then collapse at the tournament- Poland WC 2002 springs to mind. First in Europe to qualify from a group containing at that time regular qualifiers Norway and Ukraine of Shevchnkno and Rebrov. Won in Kiev itself which was very difficult in that era.

That was a strange tournament though, lots of high end and solid middling teams underperformed badly. Poland actually do it often...2008 topped a group with Portugal, Serbia, Belgium, Finland- 1 point and 1 goal. Arguably 2018 too, topping with Denmark, Romania,  at that time Montenegro still decent.

Denmark at the last WC were a major disappointment, it happens.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

How bad must Spain be ????!!!??

I was at the Scotland / Spain game...Spain played well....Scotland played better.....they have it in them....on thier day...just need to tap into it. 

On reflection, whilst I have experienced first hand the Scots supporting anyone who plays England in ANY sport (served as an attached arm in a Scottish Regiment for 6 years)....I will not stoop to the childish levels of supporting thier opposition.....it makes me just as bad as the people that frustrated / annoyed me in the past. 

• Like 1

I think, very much like Wales in the last World Cup, that they were overwhelmed by the occasion. I think they set up all wrong, extremely passive and negative. Adams doesn't have the presence or mobility at this level to play as a loan striker and McGin was treading water. None of their players wanted the ball in an attacking sense and once the Germans realised this (after 2 minutes when Tierney was wildly celebrating getting a goal kick FFS) you could see six or seven going in. Clarke got his tactics all wrong. I think he was thinking get beyond this game with the minimal of damage and then our tournament starts. The trouble for him is that the Swiss are clever and the Hungarians haven't lost for a while and both are looking at the Scots and thinking easy three points.

Mobility, and even playing without a striker would've been better.

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

That Porteous challenge was shocking. Absolutely brain dead. If I was Steve Clarke I would be sticking him on the first flight home.

Scotland are terrible.

He just did what he thought was right and lunged in aggressively to deny a goal, hoping to put Gundogan off.  It was reckless but I don’t think malicious.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I thought the same about Robertson. If I was a Germany player in the tunnel seeing him looking like that it would have given me more confidence that they were there for the taking.

Scotland looked overwhelmed by the occasion last night. They gave Germany far too much space. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He just did what he thought was right and lunged in aggressively to deny a goal, hoping to put Gundogan off.  It was reckless but I don’t think malicious.

His usual style tbh.

Gets too rash and over comimitted.

18 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

His usual style tbh.

Oh, I know.  Remember watching him for Hibs when we were rumoured to be interested.  Seemed quite happy to go looking to ”get involved” in stuff.  It put me off him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoldenBall said:

This is what happens when the Euros expand and you have complete horrendous teams like Scotland qualify. Truly there to just make up the numbers. 

Not sure expansions the reason. Scotland got to the Euros on merit and better teams (on paper) had the chance to qualify but didn't. You are not a secret superleague fan are you that only want to see the elite rich nations and clubs play? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Steve Clarke has long been rightly admired in the game so last night was baffling.

No attempt to put Kroos under pressure, Wirtz and Musiala given lots of room, defenders either backing off or over committing, McTominay playing as a defensive midfielder instead of a box crasher and taking free kicks instead of being in the box to get on the end of them. The list goes on.

I grew up watching top players like Baxter, Johnstone, Law, Hansen, Jordan, Dalglish and many more. The decline of the Scottish game over the decades is shocking and probably terminal.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HoldenBall said:

This is what happens when the Euros expand and you have complete horrendous teams like Scotland qualify. Truly there to just make up the numbers. 

Not sure, they finished 2nd in the Group with Haaland Norway and Spain and even Georgia who eliminated Greece in the Nations League on merit.

24 does feel too many but otoh Albania won a Group ahead of Czech Republic and Poland..perhaps they wouldn't have done so without the initial experience of getting to Euro 2016.

I'm conflicted basically.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not for me Dave. I get the need to go in aggressively/rush of blood/body on the line etc but you can do that in a controlled manner. It wasn’t malicious but it was amateur at best.

It was totally unnecessary to go in the way he did. If an England or City player did that we would all be very critical. A real lack of professionalism to not only give away the pen but get a red as well.

12 hours ago, chinapig said:

Steve Clarke has long been rightly admired in the game so last night was baffling.

Absolutely. He’s achieved a great deal and is usually very astute in his decisions (some more extreme Rangers fans may disagree as they believe he maliciously works against choosing players from their club). That makes it even more baffling. He threw everything that got us there out the window.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

His usual style tbh.

Yep. Unfortunately he has a history of this and has made that exact same tackle a few times over the years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chinapig said:

I grew up watching top players like Baxter, Johnstone, Law, Hansen, Jordan, Dalglish and many more. The decline of the Scottish game over the decades is shocking and probably terminal.

I see what you’re saying, especially with that list of players, but for me it’s a reflection of the modern game needing money to achieve, and the rise of foreign talent in a very small market.

You could be the best kid in a Scottish youth league, a potential world class talent, get scouted by one of the top two, sign multiple contracts over the years, do everything right and, due to a stream of “established” overseas players coming in in your position, never get closer to the first team than third choice. Next thing you know you’re 24 and have only ever played for Celtic or Rangers reserves. Your career is essentially over.

There’s definitely talent out there. Lewis Ferguson won the award for best midfielder in Italy last season, but it took a ridiculous gamble from him to get there. He’d likely have been someone who never made it if he’d stayed in Scotland. Same kid, same talent.

That said, the Scottish game is a canary in the coal mine for the English game. Imagine the ridiculous amount of talent getting crushed and disposed of by the Prem academies. The Scottish and English teams need to be stronger in their local identities - like the Spanish clubs who heavily invest and prioritise the best local talent.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I see what you’re saying, especially with that list of players, but for me it’s a reflection of the modern game needing money to achieve, and the rise of foreign talent in a very small market.

You could be the best kid in a Scottish youth league, a potential world class talent, get scouted by one of the top two, sign multiple contracts over the years, do everything right and, due to a stream of “established” overseas players coming in in your position, never get closer to the first team than third choice. Next thing you know you’re 24 and have only ever played for Celtic or Rangers reserves. Your career is essentially over.

There’s definitely talent out there. Lewis Ferguson won the award for best midfielder in Italy last season, but it took a ridiculous gamble from him to get there. He’d likely have been someone who never made it if he’d stayed in Scotland. Same kid, same talent.

That said, the Scottish game is a canary in the coal mine for the English game. Imagine the ridiculous amount of talent getting crushed and disposed of by the Prem academies. The Scottish and English teams need to be stronger in their local identities - like the Spanish clubs who heavily invest and prioritise the best local talent.

Brilliant, insightful post. I'd just add the apparent incompetence of the Scottish FA as one of a number of other factors at play.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Even when Scotland had souness dalglish hansen Jordan, they still couldn't pass water at international level they got humiliated at every tournament 

Sure, though I was referring to the huge decline in the quality of individual players rather than the performance of the team.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Sure, though I was referring to the huge decline in the quality of individual players rather than the performance of the team.

Somehow I worked that out cause if you were telling me they performed as a team id fail off my chair laughing

Scotland are dog shit.

Their fans remind me of Gasheads. They take childish delight in seeing their neighbours lose rather than being concerned about the current state of their squad and live off fumes of the past when they produced decent players, but still gave the odd ‘gift’ that everyone could laugh about.

They dislike England because they think we’re arrogant and act superior. This is exactly the same piss poor excuse Gasheads give as to why they hate shitheads. It is total bollocks that Shitheads or England supporters are arrogant. It’s just small club/small country bitter envy in reality.

They are also self proclaimed best fans in the world that everyone loves, and everyone loves them more than the badly behaved disgraceful England fans (Shitheads). Family club.

If England show pride it’s arrogance. If they show pride it’s passion. Just **** off.

They still believe they have a chance despite being atrocious and so far out of their depth that they are an embarrassment, so equally as deluded as Gasheads, plus they play in blue and white.

Unlucky da shit.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 16/06/2024 at 14:02, Gert Mare said:

Scotland are dog shit.

Their fans remind me of Gasheads. They take childish delight in seeing their neighbours lose rather than being concerned about the current state of their squad and live off fumes of the past when they produced decent players, but still gave the odd ‘gift’ that everyone could laugh about.

They dislike England because they think we’re arrogant and act superior. This is exactly the same piss poor excuse Gasheads give as to why they hate shitheads. It is total bollocks that Shitheads or England supporters are arrogant. It’s just small club/small country bitter envy in reality.

They are also self proclaimed best fans in the world that everyone loves, and everyone loves them more than the badly behaved disgraceful England fans (Shitheads). Family club.

If England show pride it’s arrogance. If they show pride it’s passion. Just **** off.

They still believe they have a chance despite being atrocious and so far out of their depth that they are an embarrassment, so equally as deluded as Gasheads, plus they play in blue and white.

Unlucky da shit.

**** Scotland and the gash I’m Swiss on Thursday and I’m hoping they stick 3+ into the sweaties **** off home you unwashed breed and put some pants on you hideous barbarians

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Topper 123 said:

**** Scotland and the gash I’m Swiss on Thursday and I’m hoping they stick 3+ into the sweaties **** off home you unwashed breed and put some pants on you hideous barbarians

Scotland play Switzerland on Weds. England play Thursday. 

1 hour ago, Topper 123 said:

I will be too. I've experienced the best fans in the world and know exactly what they think when England play so I hope they get absolutely roasted. The Swiss are a decent side too. Won't be easy for Scotland at all.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2024 at 11:52, Topper 123 said:

I think you need to be clearer about whom you're supporting, it's really not well expressed in your post 😄

23 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I will be too. I've experienced the best fans in the world and know exactly what they think when England play so I hope they get absolutely roasted. The Swiss are a decent side too. Won't be easy for Scotland at all.

I must admit I don’t see the logic in hoping a country whose inhabitants want England to fail at anything and everything do well. The same logic dictates that as the Few are Bristol we should be hoping they succeed too.

10 minutes ago, westonred said:

Neither of our lads start tonight :(

Scotland XI: Gunn, Ralston, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Adams.

Quite surprised McCrorie isn't starting. Ralston was terrible v Germany. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, westonred said:

Neither of our lads start tonight :(

Scotland XI: Gunn, Ralston, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, McTominay, Adams.

Conway had no chance, McCrorie definitely should have been in with a shout after the Germany game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Quite surprised McCrorie isn't starting. Ralston was terrible v Germany. 

I think it's because McCrorie isn't rated as strongly going forward in the wing back system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I want my next girlfriend to be a Scotland fan.

According to Scots fans, "barely adequate" is "outstanding" or "magnificent"

And the bullet scores 🇨🇭

Definitely sounds like Gasheads

• Haha 1