IGNORED

Bring back Basso! Inspiration

As above. Reading the GK posts today I would love the club to bring back Adriano, he was the core reason why we went to Wembley under GJ, a true leader and inspiration. Surely a place for him on the coaching staff, or club ambassadorial role. Oooooohh Basso! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

11 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

he was the core reason why we went to Wembley under GJ

He was also one of the main reasons we didn't reach the play-offs in 2009.

We dropped some vital points thanks to big howlers by him. Cardiff at home, to name but one game.

Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against Basso, he was an ok Keeper for us. But I could never buy into the whole "always believe" bollocks that surrounded him.

Edited by kmpowell
  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
11 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As above. Reading the GK posts today I would love the club to bring back Adriano, he was the core reason why we went to Wembley under GJ, a true leader and inspiration. Surely a place for him on the coaching staff, or club ambassadorial role. Oooooohh Basso! 

Things aren't that desperate yet are they?

He's pretty settled at Huddersfield and see no reason to uproot him

34 minutes ago, kmpowell said:

He was also one of the main reasons we didn't reach the play-offs in 2009.

We dropped some vital points thanks to big howlers by him. Cardiff at home, to name but one game.

Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against Basso, he was an ok Keeper for us. But I could never buy into the whole "always believe" bollocks that surrounded him.

That is harsh. Basso had some great games that season too and was again a reason why we were up there. Best city keeper of all time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

That is harsh. Basso had some great games that season too and was again a reason why we were up there. Best city keeper of all time. 

I thought your post was serious until the last sentence. Now I just don't know! 

I loved the guy. Regardless of kmpowell's feelings on the matter it's undeniable that he was a galvanising figure during his time here. We've only really had anything close to that since in the double season. 

But best keeper of all time? That's a stretch. 

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Best city keeper of all time. 

Good heavens, you really have a short memory. I've been watching City since 1980, Basso doesn't even make the top 5. Number 1 for me was Heaton.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

Good heavens, you really have a short memory. I've been watching City since 1980, Basso doesn't even make the top 5. Number 1 for me was Heaton.

Really? He was alright but we finished bottom of the league with him. Was a very decent keeper but to put him above Basso is mental. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Should we bring him back? I don't know what he's like as a coach, but it's a no from me based solely on him being a big presence from the past.

However between 2006 to 2008 he was the best goalkeeper I think we've seen this century. Not only that, he was a player you wanted to watch. Prone to the odd mistake (as all goalkeepers are), but capable of brilliant saves. He'd often 'dive for the cameras', but that was part of the exciting, charismatic player he was. Rarely do you get that from a keeper. Loved him here

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Negan said:

Really? He was alright but we finished bottom of the league with him. Was a very decent keeper but to put him above Basso is mental. 

To be fair he was also Player of the Year that year (with an incredibly low bar)...

I guess it depends how we view 'best keeper'? 

Heaton was a far better keeper than Basso in every way on the pitch, but had nowhere near the same impact as off it? But if Heaton was our keeper at the same time Basso was, we'd have been a much better team on the Pitch so was Heaton a victim of circumstance and Basso a benefactor? All subjective...

So I would go with 'Heaton was the better Keeper but Basso had the biggest Impact'. If we had the choice to put either one (as they were when we had them) in our team for next season it would be Heaton every day of the week for me!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Things aren't that desperate yet are they?

He's pretty settled at Huddersfield and see no reason to uproot him

He left Huddersfield in January after Moore was sacked 

• Like 1

Basso was a showman of that there is no doubt, equally capable of a world class save or a horrendous gaffe.  Our best keeper ever is a bit of a stretch though - when I first started going to Ashton Gate our keeper was Keith Waugh, and I felt more comfortable with him in goal than Basso for those reasons alone. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

To be fair he was also Player of the Year that year (with an incredibly low bar)...

I guess it depends how we view 'best keeper'? 

Heaton was a far better keeper than Basso in every way on the pitch, but had nowhere near the same impact as off it? But if Heaton was our keeper at the same time Basso was, we'd have been a much better team on the Pitch so was Heaton a victim of circumstance and Basso a benefactor? All subjective...

So I would go with 'Heaton was the better Keeper but Basso had the biggest Impact'. If we had the choice to put either one (as they were when we had them) in our team for next season it would be Heaton every day of the week for me!

I get that, he rightful had the POTS as you say though, didn’t have much competition. I could see he was a decent keeper but was hardly blown away or THAT impressed by him. He’s gone on to have a decent career after us so maybe that helps in people’s opinion of him but my shock came from the post I quoted having Heaton above Basso for best city keeper. A lot of things come in to factor for that, I’d have Fielding, Bentley and Basso above Heaton overall for best Bristol City keepers. 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

And Rotherham's keeper let in a zillion goals, but teams have queued up to sign him. Heaton was class.

55 minutes ago, Negan said:

I get that, he rightful had the POTS as you say though, didn’t have much competition. I could see he was a decent keeper but was hardly blown away or THAT impressed by him. He’s gone on to have a decent career after us so maybe that helps in people’s opinion of him but my shock came from the post I quoted having Heaton above Basso for best city keeper. A lot of things come in to factor for that, I’d have Fielding, Bentley and Basso above Heaton overall for best Bristol City keepers. 

I would absolutely not have Fielding or Basso over Heaton. Bents was decent, I admit. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Basso was a showman of that there is no doubt, equally capable of a world class save or a horrendous gaffe.  Our best keeper ever is a bit of a stretch though - when I first started going to Ashton Gate our keeper was Keith Waugh, and I felt more comfortable with him in goal than Basso for those reasons alone. 

Waugh was great until someone shot from outside the box. Then he'd flail at it as it flew past him.

Basso was a very good keeper, and a deeply religious nice bloke. He had great games, he singlehandedly earned us a point at Leicester and some bad ones which are usually costly given his position. He could be a real showman with his saves for the cameras but mostly I thought his time with us saw him improve significantly, especially his kicking which was as bad as Frankie Fielding at the start but lessons learned and he was proficient with both feet by the time he left. I thought his departure was a bit sad. Didn't he fall out because City refused his request to coach some kids school (catholic?) team. 

As for best keeper I think he would be inside Cty's top 10 but not at 1 as I'd certainly rate Gibson, Shaw, Cashley Waugh, Maenpaa all above him. Had it not been for injury I think No1 could have been Keith Welch. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

I think this is the longest any thread (in the history of the internet) discussing goalkeepers when the phrase 'great shot-stopper' hasn't been used, which is a surprise as it's usually thrown around as if it's somehow a unique skill for some keepers, overlooking the fact that it's 90% of the job.

You're all to be commended! 🙂

Basso has been part of the most successful city team since 1980 and he was the core reason the average GJ team made the play offs. Remember Sheff Wed away? Top class! He was more than just a keeper, he inspired the whole club, fans, players, the lot! Name me a city player in last 20 years who has done that and achieved success too (promotion year before). That’s why for me he would be a phenomenal inspiration to have on the coaching staff and why not considering all the other ex players we have who achieved a lot less than Basso! 

2 hours ago, Negan said:

Totally agree. Heaton didn’t have the character of Basso and was part of a dreadful city side.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Basso has been part of the most successful city team since 1980 and he was the core reason the average GJ team made the play offs. Remember Sheff Wed away? Top class! He was more than just a keeper, he inspired the whole club, fans, players, the lot! Name me a city player in last 20 years who has done that and achieved success too (promotion year before). That’s why for me he would be a phenomenal inspiration to have on the coaching staff and why not considering all the other ex players we have who achieved a lot less than Basso! 

The danger would be he might be better than 'Pembo', the greatest coach of all time*.

*Source, everyone on OTIB who was personally coached by him and went to great lengths to tell us he was the best coach ever.

7 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He was also petulant and unprofessional towards the end of his time here when he had strange ‘injuries’ which manifested themselves at the last minute. A solid reason why I wouldn’t want him here under any circumstances. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Basso was a very good keeper, and a deeply religious nice bloke.

What's religion got to do with anything, or with him being a 'nice bloke'? Plenty of absolute shites who are religious, plenty of nice blokes (and blokesses) who are atheist

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally agree. Heaton didn’t have the character of Basso and was part of a dreadful city side.  

So, being part of a bad side makes a player crap? You might want to think about what that means for the likes of Gow, etc

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

What's religion got to do with anything, or with him being a 'nice bloke'? Plenty of absolute shites who are religious, plenty of nice blokes (and blokesses) who are atheist

Nothing more than a statement of fact. Basso was very religious and in talking to him he was a very nice bloke. No need to get huffy about it. 

5 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Personally I always liked you in goal 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He was also petulant and unprofessional towards the end of his time here when he had strange ‘injuries’ which manifested themselves at the last minute. A solid reason why I wouldn’t want him here under any circumstances. 

Agreed. He was also part of the 'light a candle and believe' era that GJ was instrumental in creating. No way would Manning associate himself with any kind of stuff like that, he's not that type of Manager/coach at all 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

None of them are better than Basso. I liked Welchy but he didn’t really ever make a save. Bar Sunderland away. 

In your opinion.

Get him back. Basso is the best keeper I've seen in a City shirt. Entertaining with some brilliant save and it was enjoyable to watch him play. I would think it would be a great move to get him involved with the club again in any role which would fit.

• Flames 1

Been mentioned before, but Maenpaa is the best GK I can think of in the last 20 years or so. Shame he didn’t stay fit though! Could’ve done a really good job if he signed a couple years earlier.

I never rated Heaton when he played for City. Obvs went on to have a good career. But I don’t understand how he could be considered any good during his time at AG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Been mentioned before, but Maenpaa is the best GK I can think of in the last 20 years or so. Shame he didn’t stay fit though! Could’ve done a really good job if he signed a couple years earlier.

I never rated Heaton when he played for City. Obvs went on to have a good career. But I don’t understand how he could be considered any good during his time at AG.

Maenpaa was very good I agree. Up there in top three for me in last 30 years with Basso and Mercer. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Basso was a very good keeper, and a deeply religious nice bloke. He had great games, he singlehandedly earned us a point at Leicester and some bad ones which are usually costly given his position. He could be a real showman with his saves for the cameras but mostly I thought his time with us saw him improve significantly, especially his kicking which was as bad as Frankie Fielding at the start but lessons learned and he was proficient with both feet by the time he left. I thought his departure was a bit sad. Didn't he fall out because City refused his request to coach some kids school (catholic?) team. 

As for best keeper I think he would be inside Cty's top 10 but not at 1 as I'd certainly rate Gibson, Shaw, Cashley Waugh, Maenpaa all above him. Had it not been for injury I think No1 could have been Keith Welch. 

He still made nearly 300 appearances for us, despite breaking his back! The backpass role was made for him. King of cool! Him and Waughy my personal saves. What is it about goalkeepers called Keith W?!?

Billy Mercer will have been up there if not for his injury. Heaton was class, as was Maenpaa. Was very disappointed to have not seen more of both of them.

55 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

He still made nearly 300 appearances for us, despite breaking his back! The backpass role was made for him. King of cool! Him and Waughy my personal saves. What is it about goalkeepers called Keith W?!?

Billy Mercer will have been up there if not for his injury. Heaton was class, as was Maenpaa. Was very disappointed to have not seen more of both of them.

I'm an idiot.. Regarding the injury hit career it was Billy Mercer I meant not Keith Welch. Without his injuries we could have been talking as City's (Billy) GOAT..