IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

I had the most vivid dream last night that Tommy signed for Newcastle. What made it slightly weird was that I was there, I mean, why...

And yes, I know they won't be interested.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, SecretSam said:

I had the most vivid dream last night that Tommy signed for Newcastle. What made it slightly weird was that I was there, I mean, why...

I think he’ll end up a 100 miles further north.

Think he will end up in Scotland next summer. Just don’t see Prem or top Championship (those who aspire to win promotion) clubs being interested.

Don’t see us getting anywhere near the £5-£8m some are suggesting but a lot more than the £300k we stand to get next summer (£2m perhaps?)

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Perhaps you were there because they are going to sign you too.

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

& never the Twine shall meet?

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

WARNING! NO PUNS BEYOND THIS POINT. OFFENDERS WILL BE BANNED.

😁

You're going to get tied up in knots over that threat China. :whistle2:

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

Conway to Burnley with a bit of Twine to tie up the deal 

Knot a chance.

Might as well close this thread rather than string us along. 

The Tommy deal needs to be tied up soon though.

I'm leaving now , sorry 

1 hour ago, hertsexile said:

Conway to Burnley with a bit of Twine to tie up the deal 

That could be very likely I'd imagine. 

I think I'd be surprised if any Premier league side would take a punt on him just yet & he'd get very little, if any game time.

A move to a club with money to spend, who are likely to be very good in the division would be ideal for him & probably a really good signing for any top Championship team.

If they are anything like they were last time they were in the Championship, then he'll have chances galore to bag a hatful of goals & either go up with them, or attract a bigger move again.

• Like 2

Secret Sam, you might have seen the future, not this summer, but Conway to Newcastle could happen in the next few years, and you have some how or another become Tommy's agent in the meantime!!

Out of interest if Conway played for another team and we were interested in signing him how much would you be willing to pay for him?

I wouldn’t be wanting us to pay anywhere near our record fee for a striker. I’d be happy to pay around the 2m for him nothing more.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

Out of interest if Conway played for another team and we were interested in signing him how much would you be willing to pay for him?

I wouldn’t be wanting us to pay anywhere near our record fee for a striker. I’d be happy to pay around the 2m for him nothing more.

I think if he was playing in a different team that was better suited to his style of play he would have scored more goals and would have a higher value. Will be interesting to see how he progresses if he moves to a team that plays more to his strengths.I don't imagine we would ever see his full potential if he stayed here.

Conway is 21 years old. 22 this August.

First 2 years, hit 10 goals plus across all competitions in each season in a highly competitive League such as this. 19 in the League.

He compares very well to a range of strikers over those 2 years and indeed some players at the same age who have gone onto bigger things. £2m to me feels light- bear in mind too that he has had two medium term injuries and a change of manager with alternating styles to cope with.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

49 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

I’d probably be saying he’d be out of our reach in your scenario.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d probably be saying he’d be out of our reach in your scenario.

Yes. Bizarrely I think people wrongly assume Tommy is the finished article at 21. 

I also think they under estimate how well Tommy has done to have got 20 Championship goals by the age of 21. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes. Bizarrely I think people wrongly assume Tommy is the finished article at 21. 

I also think they under estimate how well Tommy has done to have got 20 Championship goals by the age of 21. 

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer … [Eric] [Tommy] Bristow's Conway's only 27 21."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

And how many of them were penalties? 

Completely irrelevant.

They still have to be scored, the answer is 5 by the way.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely irrelevant.

If he signs for Rangers he probably won't be their penalty taker so they'll be more interested in the non-penalty goals he scores

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely irrelevant.

FWIW - Of those 5, Conway was brought down for one and had his header hand-balled for another.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

If he signs for Rangers he probably won't be their penalty taker so they'll be more interested in the non-penalty goals he scores

Lots of rumours that Tavenier will be moving on this summer but think if he does head to Scotland it will be to the other Glasgow club, anyway..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Completely irrelevant.

Andy Cole recently said he didn’t take penalties because he rather score goals from open play. 

Top striker was Andy, it was a privilege to see him play in a City shirt 

I guess the way to evaluate Conway would be to look at his conversion rate and then scale that up against the number of chances he'd expect to have in a better team. I'd rather he stayed than we lost him. Good strikers don't come cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Just wonder if this might impact on TCs future destination…..Norwich City have turned down a Celtic bid for Adam Idah understood to be around £4m to £5m.

Yes, I wondered that. I had a feeling it would be Rangers purely because Celtic were sniffing at a permanent deal for Idah. But this knock back might well increase the interest and therefore the value for a player who is at the latter stages of his contract rather than mid term as is Idah. Interesting times

Conway needs to take his head out of the clouds ☁️. Stop listening 🙉 to his agents noise and just sign the contract on the table. If someone comes in with the right offer Jon & BT won’t stand in his way. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

If he stays with City, I care.

If he takes the 'advice' he's being given, I don't give a monkeys where he goes.

A new contract, with a release clause, is obviously the way to go and he increases his profile.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Conway needs to take his head out of the clouds ☁️. Stop listening 🙉 to his agents noise and just sign the contract on the table. If someone comes in with the right offer Jon & BT won’t stand in his way. 

Why would he sign it before the window shuts? He becomes a lot less appealing to clubs if he suddenly has 3 years left rather than one year 

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Why would he sign it before the window shuts? He becomes a lot less appealing to clubs if he suddenly has 3 years left rather than one year 

But each week he's losing money that a signed contract rise would give him !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

But each week he's losing money that a signed contract rise would give him !

But if he moved he'd presumably move to a club that would be matching/improving on the offer we've given him, its a relatively small amount to someone who if they've been smart with their money will have tens or hundreds of thousands stashed away by now. 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

But if he moved he'd presumably move to a club that would be matching/improving on the offer we've given him, its a relatively small amount to someone who if they've been smart with their money will have tens or hundreds of thousands stashed away by now. 

My point being, who's to say anyone will come in for him, and all that time he's losing quids .

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My point being, who's to say anyone will come in for him, and all that time he's losing quids .

Maybe not but that's his gamble, lose out on x amount of money for the chance to move club

I feel a sense he thinks he is on the Alex Scott path when he needs to think more like the Josh Brownhill path. Yes there is some potential for him to contribute to a lower end prem team at some point in his career but he does not feel remotely near that at this stage.

I think he’d do well to extend for another 2 seasons after this one. Get the extra money in your pocket and develop one more season here. Have a release clause for something reasonable and get your head down. 

• Like 9

I don’t think any of us can really get our heads into the same headspace as a player potentially looking to sign a contract for tens of thousands of pounds a week.  Normal-person logic doesn’t work.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

If we signed this 2nd striker could it focus his mind a bit that maybe he won't get much gametime if he doesn't sign and commit..effectively look to freeze him out a bit until he does.

It's not exactly my preferred option but really squeezed gametime will impact his worth on the market in respect of his career prospects.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we signed this 2nd striker could it focus his mind a bit that maybe he won't get much gametime if he doesn't sign and commit..effectively look to freeze him out a bit until he does.

It's not exactly my preferred option but really squeezed gametime will impact his worth on the market in respect of his career prospects.

Clubs all ready know what he’s capable of ‘ if he sits it out for a season he’ll just get a bigger contract’ signing on fee.

11 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Clubs all ready know what he’s capable of ‘ if he sits it out for a season he’ll just get a bigger contract’ signing on fee.

True but long periods out can affect a players game or perceived capability, sharpness etc.

It's not really feasible but just trying to search for leverage the club can use.

• Like 1

Sell him and be done with it. He’s not re-signing. Anything we get is 100% profit and we’ll avoid having to pay him over inflated wages likely at his demand. 2-3 mill will do plus a sell on clause

• Like 7