IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

30 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I couldn't give a shit what the mentality of all footballers is. 

I don't wish Thomas Conway a positive career. Tough titties Spudders. 

He's left us. Youre not a professional footballer right now and neither am I. I hope he never has a good game ever again. 

He joined another football club he didn’t shag your misses grow up fella 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

His career, his choice, my choice.

If he's left us then I hope he breaks his legs in his first training session and never scores again.

He is not a City player and doesn't have the track record to be a City legend.

I hope he goes to his next club and is deeply unsuccesful, I hope he scores no goals and I hope he struggles to feel part of the team. Why would I feel anything else? We have a problem at this club with being overly enthusiastic about players who have moved on. Scott, Kelly, Reid, whoever - I hope Conway is shit for Middlesborough and has an awful career now he's left us. If he never scores a goal again I'lll be pleased. Let me be clear,m I hope he never scores again. **** him. 

To wish injury on someone is just pathetic

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Graham76 said:

I’ve got no dog in the fight regarding Conway, but I get the feeling he’s going to get booed when he returns to the gate. 

We have a fanbase who’d rather clap / applaud Wayne Rooney taking a corner!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

I’ve got no dog in the fight regarding Conway, but I get the feeling he’s going to get booed when he returns to the gate. 

Like a lot of ex players he'll get a mix of applause and boos

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Don’t get why people are responding to this thread. Just let this be the last post and let the thread disappear into the ether

I hope you pull your hamstring too.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Malago said:

In your opinion.  We did the double over them last season and iirc finished above them.  

The bookies think otherwise & they are normally in the right ball park

53 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

In truth there's more philosophical gesture than reality in what I said. I don't wish it on him as a person in truth - but I hope he suffers away from the club. We have no stake in him. I hope he's shit for everyone else he plays for. Is that weird? 

Do you really only care about things you have a personal stake in? If you live your life in that purely transactional fashion that's weird imo, yes.

Most things you have a "stake" in as you put it, you don't really - you've just arbitrarily decided to. Caring or not about a former player isn't that different.

If you have no stake in him as you say, why do you care how he does elsewhere? It would make no difference to you.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Do you really only care about things you have a personal stake in? If you live your life in that purely transactional fashion that's weird imo, yes.

Most things you have a "stake" in as you put it, you don't really - you've just arbitrarily decided to. Caring or not about a former player isn't that different.

If you have no stake in him as you say, why do you care how he does elsewhere? It would make no difference to you.

Fun one here.

You've got a stake in this now, clearly.

You've got a stake in my having a stake in TC not having a stake is us no more. 

I've got a personal stake in this now because I've bothered to reply. Silly this whole game really isn't it?

It makes a difference because we - as a perenially shit club, have this constant and inane fascination with footballers who used to play for us and became half decent. I don't think we should care as much as we do as a fanbase about young men who dont care for us. That's all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I was being rhetorical but didn’t want to use that word as I didn’t think he’d understand it…

My favourite bit from Porridge;

Fletcher; “Never judge a book by its cover” Heslop (played by Norman Glover) “I do, I can’t read”.

4 hours ago, Midred said:

Have the club dispatched him with all good wishes for his future? 🤔

Rightly No.  Just thanked him for his past contribution.

29 minutes ago, JAWS said:

The bookies think otherwise & they are normally in the right ball park

Happy to put my money where my mouth is.  What’s the odds on City finishing above Boro.

21 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Fun one here.

You've got a stake in this now, clearly.

You've got a stake in my having a stake in TC not having a stake is us no more. 

I've got a personal stake in this now because I've bothered to reply. Silly this whole game really isn't it?

It makes a difference because we - as a perenially shit club, have this constant and inane fascination with footballers who used to play for us and became half decent. I don't think we should care as much as we do as a fanbase about young men who dont care for us. That's all. 

A descent in to footballing nihilism it is then!

When you're a supporter of a kind of average to boring club, having hand in a player who might go on to be better than that is interesting imo, that's all. All clubs do that right - at least we're not retiring his shirt or anything.

Good luck to the lad imo. If he thinks he's better than City, this is his chance to go out and prove it to the world. Obviously if it comes down to a TC goal or City making the playoffs we both know which I'd pick, but otherwise I hope he has a decent career.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

If he's left us then I hope he breaks his legs in his first training session and never scores again.

I hope he goes to his next club and is deeply unsuccesful, I hope he scores no goals and I hope he struggles to feel part of the team. Why would I feel anything else? We have a problem at this club with being overly enthusiastic about players who have moved on. Scott, Kelly, Reid, whoever - I hope Conway is shit for Middlesborough and has an awful career now he's left us. If he never scores a goal again I'lll be pleased. Let me be clear,m I hope he never scores again. **** him. 

How sad you are, what an outlook

6 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

A descent in to footballing nihilism it is then!

When you're a supporter of a kind of average to boring club, having hand in a player who might go on to be better than that is interesting imo, that's all. All clubs do that right - at least we're not retiring his shirt or anything.

Good luck to the lad imo. If he thinks he's better than City, this is his chance to go out and prove it to the world. Obviously if it comes down to a TC goal or City making the playoffs we both know which I'd pick, but otherwise I hope he has a decent career.

In and of itself though, ultimately the 'interesting' statement is wrong if we're being ambitious? Moving to an EXTREMELY similar club in Boro exemplifies this. He's the latest in a long line of decent-to-good footballers to bin us off in search of more fertile ground. Personally, I don't think we should celebrate the TCs of this world, especially when they move to our division rivals. Id rather he moved to a Premier League club - I'd be annoyed but to a similar extent. 

Footballing nihilism is right, the boy has gone sideways, to functionally be the same footballer he is now. Except he plays for a football club with different initials. 

4 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Or alternative view, bloke leaves workplace and moves to another one.

Baffles me that people have this mindset.

If the club don’t want a player anymore they let the contract run down and don’t offer them another one.

Club suits itself, players come and go.

Life’s to short for people to get wound up and bitter over a player leaving.

Spot on. Players come, players go. Quite frankly it would be boring if we had the same unchanged squad year after year. I wish Tommy all the best, but I for one am looking forward to seeing the new boys tomorrow. That’s football. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

In and of itself though, ultimately the 'interesting' statement is wrong if we're being ambitious? Moving to an EXTREMELY similar club in Boro exemplifies this. He's the latest in a long line of decent-to-good footballers to bin us off in search of more fertile ground. Personally, I don't think we should celebrate the TCs of this world, especially when they move to our division rivals. Id rather he moved to a Premier League club - I'd be annoyed but to a similar extent. 

Footballing nihilism is right, the boy has gone sideways, to functionally be the same footballer he is now. Except he plays for a football club with different initials. 

As annoying as it is they're a level above us though aren't they. In the last 10 years they've only had one season outside the top 10, had one season in the prem, and been in the playoffs three times. We've had one season in the top 10 in the last 10 years. Is that similar to us?

If you looked at us on paper yeah maybe we should be similar, in reality it isn't. It's a (small, granted) step up.

I'm not necessarily celebrating the lad but I don't wish ill on him either. I hope he cracks on and has a decent career.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, eardun said:

Spot on. Players come, players go. Quite frankly it would be boring if we had the same unchanged squad year after year. I wish Tommy all the best, but I for one am looking forward to seeing the new boys tomorrow. That’s football. 

It's also just being a pleasant person who respects others.

• Like 6

I'm disappointed, but mainly because it's Middlesbrough. If we're going to lose one of our academy success stories, I'd prefer it to be a step up rather than a step sideways. In that regard the Celtic talk got me more excited - a lower standard league overall but a massive club. Ah well.

At the end of the day, he's a good player, he scored a decent amount of goals, he was out of Manning's plans, he's likely got a lot more money. I'll probably check Middlesbrough results and reports a couple of times a season to see how he's going, but that's about it. Good luck to him, except against us. Knowing our luck he'll score the winner that confirms we finish 7th.

15 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

As annoying as it is they're a level above us though aren't they. In the last 10 years they've only had one season outside the top 10, had one season in the prem, and been in the playoffs three times. We've had one season in the top 10 in the last 10 years. Is that similar to us?

If you looked at us on paper yeah maybe we should be similar, in reality it isn't. It's a (small, granted) step up.

I'm not necessarily celebrating the lad but I don't wish ill on him either. I hope he cracks on and has a decent career.

They literally are not tho,history counts for nothing(our supporters are riddled with their history is better than ours and it’s time people give their heads a wobble)

Edited by joe jordans teeth

As much as I don’t like the sound of what’s happened here I hope the club were transparent with him. Something along the lines of “we’re just not willing to break our salary cap for you, risk breaking PSRs, and disrupt the dressing room in the process.” If any of that is true of course.

For what it’s worth I think he’s a huge talent. I think he has potential to take Boro up and be a premier league regular. I think his time in the first team here has been hampered by injury; covid; the PSR implications following that; the quality of the playing squad following that and the service he was getting on the pitch; a change in management; and fans that have got on his back a little for not signing what was on the table for him (rightly or wrongly).

With that said, I think of the goals he scored against Barnsley after coming back from injury. He was a man possessed that day, and of course West Ham. Single handedly responsible for the best limbs I’ve seen. 

I can’t bring myself to say it on social media so I’m putting it here. Tommy, I wish you all the best pal, except when you’re playing us or in games that affect us. Thank you for the moments, you will not be forgotten here. But for **** sake don’t even think about celebrating when playing us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

That's vile. All he has done is leave one employer for another.

Seriously...mods @phantom sort this out

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I couldn't give a shit what the mentality of all footballers is. 

I don't wish Thomas Conway a positive career. Tough titties Spudders. 

He's left us. Youre not a professional footballer right now and neither am I. I hope he never has a good game ever again. 

Absolute moron 

• Like 1

Who was the last genuine Bristol city fan to play senior football for our club? 

I ask because the likes of Reid , Bryan , Kelly , Conway whilst from the region are not die hard city fans like most of us are. They are just like all others passing through , and with agents getting their teeth into players at such a young age we’d be stupid to expect anything different from them as any journeyman pros.

Edited by milo1111

5 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Who was the last genuine Bristol city fan to play senior football for our club? 

I ask because the likes of Reid , Bryan , Kelly , Conway whilst from the region are not die hard city fans like most of us are. They are just like all others passing through , and with agents getting their teeth into players at such a young age we’d be stupid to expect anything different from them as any journeyman pros.

Just now, red kev said:

Chris garland

I can't help feeling a little disappointed that TC has been sold.

I was really looking forward to some great attacking forward play, and some great one - twos on the edge of the box as the ball is played Tommy to Yu, to Yu Tommy. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

They literally are not tho,history counts for nothing(our supporters are riddled with their history is better than ours and it’s time people give their heads a wobble)

Ok so what does count then?

History obviously has a huge impact on a team. Especially recent history which is what I was talking about.

Finances, desirability for players and managers, culture, and so on.

To say history counts for nothing is ridiculous. Are you saying every team in the division starts on exactly the same footing each season? We've got the same chance to go up as Leeds or down as Oxford? No? Why not? Recent history...?

I agree some fans put too much stock into it but to say it counts for nothing is just flat out wrong.

Edited by IAmNick

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Ok so what does count then?

History obviously has a huge impact on a team. Especially recent history which is what I was talking about.

Finances, desirability for players and managers, culture, and so on.

To say history counts for nothing is ridiculous. Are you saying every team in the division starts on exactly the same footing each season? We've got the same chance to go up as Leeds or down as Oxford? No? Why not? Recent history...?

Ahh the recent history or history debate like football only started in 1992,what do you call recent history 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough if we are talking longer history did nearly go bankrupt in the 1980s until Gibson but on the flipside, have spent only a handful or couple of years outside of the top 2 Divisions.

As far as I’m aware they have only 1 major trophy more than us(granted that’s off memory so may be wrong)so is their history so much better?

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

As far as I’m aware they have only 1 major trophy more than us(granted that’s off memory so may be wrong)so is their history so much better?

There are different ways to measure it aren't there. It's all quite subjective.

*Trophies

*Average Attendance over History.

*Average League position over History

*Years in the top or even top 2 Divisions.

*Untapped potential

*Overall Club Infrastructure.

Etc.

Yes they've won just the one major trophy buy they also reached a few finals plus a European one..in the here and now I think they are probably further along in their Team development in terms of a Top 6 push this year.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are different ways to measure it aren't there. It's all quite subjective.

*Trophies

*Average Attendance over History.

*Average League position over History

*Years in the top or even top 2 Divisions.

*Untapped potential

*Overall Club Infrastructure.

Etc.

Yes they've won just the one major trophy buy they also reached a few finals plus a European one..in the here and now I think they are probably further along in their Team development in terms of a Top 6 push this year.

Trophies 

Average league position 

Years in top 2 divisions 

Blackpool have us beat hands down so it’s like you say it’s all subjective 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malago said:

Rightly No.  Just thanked him for his past contribution.

Happy to put my money where my mouth is.  What’s the odds on City finishing above Boro.

Don't know but boro are around 3/1 for promotion & city 12/1 so you should get good odds.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Don't know but boro are around 3/1 for promotion & city 12/1 so you should get good odds.

Anyone who backs Boro at 3/1 needs their head read.  12/1 about us seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Yes, in the same way our history is better than Rovers'

Neither of us have much to shout about (in both comparisons), but we have more than Rovers, and Boro have more than us.

8 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I'm disappointed, but mainly because it's Middlesbrough. If we're going to lose one of our academy success stories, I'd prefer it to be a step up rather than a step sideways. In that regard the Celtic talk got me more excited - a lower standard league overall but a massive club. Ah well.

At the end of the day, he's a good player, he scored a decent amount of goals, he was out of Manning's plans, he's likely got a lot more money. I'll probably check Middlesbrough results and reports a couple of times a season to see how he's going, but that's about it. Good luck to him, except against us. Knowing our luck he'll score the winner that confirms we finish 7th.

If you watch his interview on the Boro website, it's obvious to see that he believes he has a better chance of making the Premiership with Boro and under Carrick. 

And tbh...he's probably right. 

His desire to play in the Prem, is driven by his close friendships with Scott and Semenyo. 

The trip to the Euros underlining that want. 

He's not at those levels...but that's his desire. 

He's seen his mates do it...he wants the same. And taking a step to a club more likely to get promoted than us is understandable.

Some fans have also not taken into consideration that he may feel, that playing under Manning doesn't suit his strengths. 

Why stay with an employer where you feel it doesn't suit you, and hinders your progress and desire to go to a higher level? 

He may be wrong in his thinking. We don't know what level he can achieve. He's certainly not at Semenyo and Scotts level...but he has an ambition. 

Club wise...he's far more likely to get promoted under Boro than us imo. 

It is a job after all...and a short career. 

• Like 12
  • Flames 2

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

You are a massive 🍆 writing that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Don't wish him ill at all but in the circumstances I don't wish him well either and find all the good wishes on here puzzling.

It's not like a PL club came in with a 10m offer for Conway and we got full value for him - in that case he would very much go with my best wishes.

No, he has rejected the club - and us the fans who have given him such great support - by refusing to sign what in the end was apparently an extremely lucrative contract.

He's now an opposition player at a divisional rival, nothing more, nothing less, so I don't wish him well and certainly won't be applauding him on his return.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Are we really still talking about / mourning a promising youngster that's buggered off at his own accord when we've signed a very good AM?

Jeez, what has this forum become? Time for a break methinks. 🤯

You could always ignore the thread?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't wish him ill at all but in the circumstances I don't wish him well either and find all the good wishes on here puzzling.

It's not like a PL club came in with a 10m offer for Conway and we got full value for him - in that case he would very much go with my best wishes.

No, he has rejected the club - and us the fans who have given him such great support - by refusing to sign what in the end was apparently an extremely lucrative contract.

He's now an opposition player at a divisional rival, nothing more, nothing less, so I don't wish him well and certainly won't be applauding him on his return.

With respect Noggers, and to others who have such negative feelings towards TC, I really don't think some understand football.

As football fans we support our Club. 

Players, managers, staff come and go.

It's their job. Their career. They sign contracts. 

Just like everyone else in the working world. 

If I signed an Apprenticeship at a workplace, then worked my way up over the years, then decided I was stagnating at this business, perhaps a new manager had come in and made it more difficult to progress my career. Regardless of salary, an opportunity arose to start afresh somewhere else. Under a different manager that suited me better. I tell my present manager I'm looking to leave. We decide to find a solution to a way out.

We all do it in business and to further our careers. 

Would you stay, put your short career prospects on hold, just because people at your business had been supportive of you?

Of course not...it's business...a career, and you get one go at life. 

It's how business works. 

In the majority of cases, people wish you well. Co workers and owners. 

To wish bitterness towards people, and as someone else said, break their legs, is somewhat out of kilter with reality. 

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We have a fanbase who’d rather clap / applaud Wayne Rooney taking a corner!

I remember that, thought it was a nice touch. I’ve always been amazed how some away supporters applaud ex players. Norman Hunter back in the day by Leeds fans for example and Leicester fans last season with Andy King. 
Our lot can be quite negative at times. Came off of here for a while and was surprised when I came back on how much stick Tinnion gets? 
Then we get those applauding the taking of the knee? You know BLM=Build Large Mansions. 

6 minutes ago, marksy said:

I remember that, thought it was a nice touch. I’ve always been amazed how some away supporters applaud ex players. Norman Hunter back in the day by Leeds fans for example and Leicester fans last season with Andy King. 
Our lot can be quite negative at times. Came off of here for a while and was surprised when I came back on how much stick Tinnion gets? 
Then we get those applauding the taking of the knee? You know BLM=Build Large Mansions. 

I don’t recall Wayne Rooney being one of our players during his career! 😉

So I guess I can count you firmly in the camp of applauding Conway when he returns, yes?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t recall Wayne Rooney being one of our players during his career! 😉

So I guess I can count you firmly in the camp of applauding Conway when he returns, yes?

No, but I won’t boo him for sure. The only ex player I honestly couldn’t stand was Cunningham. Seemed to really dislike us. 

5 minutes ago, marksy said:

No, but I won’t boo him for sure. The only ex player I honestly couldn’t stand was Cunningham. Seemed to really dislike us. 

I think most people dislike him - he's an absolute weapon and could easily have been sent off playing against us for blatantly attempting to do serious injury.

He's the only one I boo as well. Others get varying welcomes, but the worst being ignore.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marksy said:

That’s fair. I really disliked Cunningham too. Sly player. Not just the Flint stuff either. 

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why does his monetary value change how you think of him to his extent? A PL club coming in for him or not isn't Conway's fault really is it.

I have fondness for city players who were never worth much and left for nothing, and for those who left for millions. Their value is pretty much irrelevant to how I think of them. 

He always tried his hardest on the pitch, was a well liked member of the team by all accounts, and has now left to further his career.

If it was for free or £10m makes no real difference to me, it's not his responsibility to maximise his transfer fee is it? That's for the club to manage, and they didn't do it for whatever reason.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2