IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Just now, lenred said:

Based on what exactly? Because he won’t sign a new contract?  Even the article says he’s no trouble?  

Based on the fact he isn't that good from my own eyes. He thinks he is better than he actually is.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The season hasn't started...getting a bit ahead of ourselves and getting our knickers all twisted.

Oh so it's only temporary and if no-one comes in for him he'll be back in the squad come August? Thanks Liam.

12 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Oh! there is, you just had a dig at Manning, suggesting he was not the one managing,completely unwarranted and without any evidence, pure tittle tattle.

I see the bitchiness is rife, but about time this club showed some balls.

I agree it is a brave move.

Brave can also mean pig-headed, stubborn or foolhardy.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

It’s really not that deep though, is it?

As a HC, why would you want to waste your time coaching and developing a player who doesn’t want to be here and has made it abundantly clear that he is unwilling to even renegotiate a better deal to stay here.

Makes perfect sense to me but also completely understand that it’s going to divide opinion and wouldn’t pass any judgement on anyone who feels differently about it to me. Each to their own and all that but I actually think it’s a great shout, quite frankly. (If true)

Because he's got a year left on his contract and there is a chance he could still be here on 1st September.

Manning is just an employee of the club as are the players. It is his actual job to train and improve them all, however long is left on their contract.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

It’s really not that deep though, is it?

As a HC, why would you want to waste your time coaching and developing a player who doesn’t want to be here and has made it abundantly clear that he is unwilling to even renegotiate a better deal to stay here.

Makes perfect sense to me but also completely understand that it’s going to divide opinion and wouldn’t pass any judgement on anyone who feels differently about it to me. Each to their own and all that but I actually think it’s a great shout, quite frankly. (If true)

The thing is, that’s only one side of the story isn’t it, the club’s side?

Wonder what Tommy’s side is?  I could speculate all sorts of stuff that might make it perfectly rational why he’s not want to renegotiate.

The fact that we are seeing reports that it’s not gone down well with some players and staff tells me it’s a bad call.  Last thing you want is a split / partially split camp at this time of preseason.

I also totally get the side that says “good riddance”.  It just not the side I fall on.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Bakinson & Watkins?

If those are the two being referred to…

Watkins refused to train…hiding in the HPC.

Bakinson refused to carry out the instructions of the manager having been given several chances …thankfully we found a club to take him on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Completely unnecessary, he is under contract and doesn't want to extend. Fair enough.  He should still be entitled to train, work and compete with his team mates without being 'demoted' or 'punished'.

He was offered a new deal, didn't fancy it and immediately punished for it. Has he said (publicly) that "I refuse to play/train"?, has he come out and said he'll not make any effort on the pitch?

Exactly.   I’ve been in the exact same position.  Wanted to leave a team I was in to better myself.   My boss at the time wasn’t happy with my decision yet still trusted me to do a good job for myself and the team whilst I waited on getting the new role and he and I had a good working relationship.  He even supported me eventually.  It’s about personal pride if nothing else. And behaving like adults.  I’m sure lots of us on here have experienced similar….. 

The fact that it clearly states Tommy has done nothing wrong really gets my goat here…… it’s smacks of infantile behaviour from the adults in the room. 

• Like 4

Albeit it varies by workplace.

I remember one former employer whereby if you wanted to leave, you left that day in most instances. If there was some sort of notice they'd pay that up, if you were key maybe you stay around but Rule of Thumb a desire to get out meant out (I know for Football that isn't the way).

9 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

No but I don't speculate on the worse scenarios as to a persons character or abilities.

So you’ll just be speculating and giving your opinion the same as the people you’ll be addressing.

Not being funny or having a go just showing that the majority of the time the forum is all about people posting their opinions 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Why?

TC has made it clear he isn't staying

Why should we get him fit, integrate him into the team learning patterns of play etc only for him to leave?

The whole situation is a mess, is it not? 

• Like 1

Wasn't Alex Scott going in to his final year? Yes, he was injured so it wasn't as much of an issue, but I seem to recall him being involved in the first game and then we eventually sold him. Okay, a more unique player than Conway, but why punish one and not the other? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Based on the fact he isn't that good from my own eyes. He thinks he is better than he actually is.

No.

You think / he thinks / he is better than / you think he is.

The only fact is it’s your opinion.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Doesn’t seem like an appropriate way to treat people to me and I bet the squad won’t be fully comfortable with this.

It may also make them think about how their futures may pan out with the club should they decide to move on 

It does make you question if this is Tinnion not happy about not getting his way and calling the shots. I think BT is the real manager. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wasn't Alex Scott going in to his final year? Yes, he was injured so it wasn't as much of an issue, but I seem to recall him being involved in the first game and then we eventually sold him. Okay, a more unique player than Conway, but why punish one and not the other? 

Alex had two years left (summer 2025)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So you’ll just be speculating and giving your opinion the same as the people you’ll be addressing.

Not being funny or having a go just showing that the majority of the time the forum is all about people posting their opinions 👍

I actually view the person who told me that little anecdote told me in the best of faith fwiw. As in wasn't a bullshiter for the hell of it.

Whether it is true or accurate, others can judge, whether people believe it is up to them but yeah passed on.

11 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I've never liked the kid to be honest and have been open with my views about his ability on here for quite a while. I'm glad Liam has done this, the lad needs humbling massively.

Didn't think i'd ever genuinely dislike a Bristol City player before but here we are. Can't stand the kid and is a bad egg.

Any reason why you’ve never liked him ? Has he done something to personally aggrieved you ?

What is your evidence that he needs humbling massively ?

Has there ever been a story on here that he’s a bad egg and causes trouble in the club ? He seems to get on well enough with people so is there proof of your bad egg comment ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

It does make you question if this is Tinnion not happy about not getting his way and calling the shots. I think BT is the real manager. 

I don’t think we can cast aspersions on whose decision it was.  But it affects a lot of people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Alex Scott had 2 years left I thought?

If anything peak value time, although maybe a brilliant 6 months could see a value rise again.

3 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Dunno about real Manager but this seems like a higher up the chain decision IMO whoever it was.

• Like 1

Let’s be honest, Conway hasn’t played his best football under LM.

I would presume that Fally / Armstrong are better options for how we want to play, so from not playing Conway in pre-season I don’t think we’ve really cut our nose off to spite our face. 

Re the decision being Liams or otherwise I think the following have to be considered:

- This decision fundamentally impacts the value of Conway, and therefore would have to be signed off (if not enforced) by a higher level within the club.

- The coaching team had Mebude training with and part of the first team last year when there was no chance he was getting on the pitch. So the part about not wanting to coach a player you don’t want to use is inconsistent at best and bollocks at worse

- Liam needs results. It’s only Easter his job was on the line and he had no currency for another poor run. It therefore makes sense he’d use any resource he can to get those points

- As I’ve noted a few times, I don’t think Liam is a yes man. I think in order for him to be accepting of this decision there is some horse trading going on (possibly he’d acquiesce to the decision if he’s getting Twine?)

- As the article itself suggests, Conway remains trouble free and popular - and is also the PFA rep. The “contagion” here  is likely high risk.

So, we know that the management team have no issue in a space for someone who isn’t likely to play, and dressing room harmony says you don’t take this action.

My bet: This has been enforced by someone at a higher level (probably someone with a child’s mentality so there are a few candidates) and Liam has accepted if certain other conditions are met

But, as there is an immediate impact on an assets value, by God, it’s stupid.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

If Conway isn’t in the managers plans what is the point in training him??

surely he is better off in the 21’s giving some kind of guidance and example to them instead of training with a team he won’t be playing for.

if he shows an exemplary attitude that some on here seem to think he has then the door will always be open.

if he didn’t come through the academy a lot of peoples opinions on here would be different.  I respect people’s loyalty to their own, but I for one am comfortable with the decision and genuinely don’t believe he’s as good as he thinks he is.

Good luck to him in whatever happens next for Tommy though and I wish him the best for whatever is next whether that be this disagreement settles or he gets a move he desires.

Any reason why you’ve never liked him ? Has he done something to personally aggrieved you ?

What is your evidence that he needs humbling massively ?

Has there ever been a story on here that he’s a bad egg and causes trouble in the club ? He seems to get on well enough with people so is there proof of your bad egg comment ?

Is it the one where a pro footballer was a bit of a knob in town one night?  That’s the usual one - I saw Tommy in Corn St and he was an arrogant **** - type stuff…and that means he must be being a **** in everything he does.

Lordy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bakinson refused to carry out the instructions of the manager having been given several chances …thankfully we found a club to take him on.

I agree, apples with oranges

• Like 1

If you are good enough then generally speaking a club come in for you and pay a fee. The danger for Conway is he runs down is contract and then gets Injured towards the end and is without a club.  We’ve had many players near the end Of their contract who pull out of challenges to protect themselves. I can understand why Conway would be hesitant to sign a deal but also I wouldn’t blame the club for not picking him either.

1 minute ago, Red Billy said:

If you are good enough then generally speaking a club come in for you and pay a fee. The danger for Conway is he runs down is contract and then gets Injured towards the end and is without a club.  We’ve had many players near the end Of their contract who pull out of challenges to protect themselves. I can understand why Conway would be hesitant to sign a deal but also I wouldn’t blame the club for not picking him either.

If he gets injured during his contract here it will be our responsibility to rehab him.

• Thanks 1

If he has been banished because he doesn't want to be part of some 'forced' labour extension scheme that club are suggesting, I hope he makes a complaint that he is being denied appearance fees, the opportunity to get goal-scoring/win bonus payments and all that jazz.

Makes me very uncomfortable that the club would behave in this way, obviously, if TC IS happy with this arrangement, then fair enough, but I'd be surprised if he wants to do anything but train/play. Any club considering him will likely be interested in his pre-season prep and might conclude, 'a summer on the bench for Scotland, a couple of weeks extended leave as he was on International duty, kicked to the reserves when the training and conditioning might not be on a par with their first team as he will be working with players who are still physically developing......' - we'll leave it 12 months and see what happens, might get him on a free next year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

I would presume that Fally / Armstrong are better options for how we want to play, so from not playing Conway in pre-season I don’t think we’ve really cut our nose off to spite our face. 

Not altogether sure where the goals are coming from given the necessary adjustment periods etc.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who did Nige do it too?

He gave both Bakinson and Massengo some pretty nasty and vindictive treatment once they made it clear they wanted out. Widely reported.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

I’m sure TC wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t starting on the opening day but I’m sure he’d still put the effort in if he were in the squad and was brought on for any minutes.

I see no reason not to continue with him in the squad, I would say the negative of causing disharmony by treating him this way could do more damage than him still being involved with the first team set up 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

If Conway isn’t in the managers plans what is the point in training him??

surely he is better off in the 21’s giving some kind of guidance and example to them instead of training with a team he won’t be playing for.

if he shows an exemplary attitude that some on here seem to think he has then the door will always be open.

if he didn’t come through the academy a lot of peoples opinions on here would be different.  I respect people’s loyalty to their own, but I for one am comfortable with the decision and genuinely don’t believe he’s as good as he thinks he is.

Good luck to him in whatever happens next for Tommy though and I wish him the best for whatever is next whether that be this disagreement settles or he gets a move he desires.

If he isn't in the managers plans, why would they offer him a new contract? 

As for the U21 and giving him some kind of guidance, I think we sent that U21 off on a season long loan to Scotland. 

Both the player and the club agreed a contract, that contract ends in about 12 months time - give or take a bit - what is wrong is when one side (player or club) decide to act in a manner designed to punish someone who (so far) hasn't said they won't fulfil their contractual obligations. 

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He gave both Bakinson and Massengo some pretty nasty and vindictive treatment once they made it clear they wanted out. Widely reported.

Bakinson….after the umpteenth time he didn’t do as he was asked.

Massengo…disagree.  He really liked Han.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Nonsense. He exiled Bakinson for his attitude. He personal comments around Massengo were positive, he just chose not to play him because of the contract stand off 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No wonder you hide behind FBref 😄

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

I don’t think anyone has suggested Conway should be getting minutes ahead of others, but he’s a professional lad, use him in training still, send him to play 21’s games to keep him fresh. Removing him from the changing room is just embarrassing for City. that’s usually reserved for a near last resort when a player has done something that negatively impacts the groups morale, Manning admitted their relationship was still professional so that’s not the case. Could you imagine the embarrassment if we have a striker injury crisis and have to go to the u21’s/u18’s for a centre forward over selecting Conway after all this. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

It's just dumb, divisive nonsense. More than that though, why on gods green earth is our Manager discussing this? It's internal. Why has it leaked? It doesn't help us, it doesn't increase his value (Diminishes it tbh)... 

at a loss for words for the 194858303th time this year... 

i would imagine Manning is commenting on it as the story was already out. As to why it was leaked it could be someone mentioned it and its spread or someone from Tommy's side has put it out there to put pressure on the club (which is my bet) and entice a bid from elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, Ian M said:

If a player we don't think is good enough to keep enters the last year of his contract, we will play them.

If a player we do think is good enough to keep (or sell) enters the last year of his contract, we won't play them.

How is that good use of club funds?

what is said in the BP article is reasonable and if it is the case he does not want to be here then I think its perfectly reasonable to take a player out of the first team. This attitude will negatively effect the group and he has no divine right to be In there.

From recollection the last player to do this was massengo and Nige did the same. James or Williams never said such which is why they were involved until to emd.

Good management in my opinion

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Bakinson….after the umpteenth time he didn’t do as he was asked.

Massengo…disagree.  He really liked Han.

Well, he did say that he wanted Massengo out and getting him out of the door was brilliant business.

Because he wouldn't sign a new contract, same as Conway.

I agree that Bakinson was a different scenario, but he had some pretty choice words for him as well. No need for it.

Hey ho.

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

Let’s see how many teams stump up 5 mil for the wunderkind

Are you saying that is the figure the club are asking for ?

Its not down to Conway to set a price or value himself.

that’s down to the selling club and what any potential buyers are willing to pay 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TammyAB said:

Bit of a crap argument.

Would you, knowing the selling club are desperate to get rid?

Incredible that a player with a better track record than £15m Liam Delap could well now leave for a tenth of that.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, TammyAB said:

Well, not many now.

Whatever people think of playing him or not the club have set a clear message that he’s available, and likely at a reduced price. Now you may argue that he was running down his contract so better to get x now as opposed to y compensation then, but we could have done this better, kept it in house and still sold him while protecting his value.

If he was worth £5m yesterday he’s now worth £3-£4m.

I can’t express how daft this is as the club have chosen to reduce an assets value by doing this, and whether you agree with the decision to not play Conway or not, everyone should be pissed off at that fact when you consider the financial shit we’ve had to come through.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, RedEyez said:

None, cos he ain’t worth £5m 😂

In todays market 5m would be about right, but given his contract situation I agree that it is a bit ott.

• Like 1

Just now, Jose said:

This was not what I had in mind when Tinnion said today was going to be a good day 😂

Maybe it is for him. Someone else who didn’t bend to the will of Brian/Jon/Steve - never forget, they’ve told us, it’s their club - ostracised when all they’ve done is fulfil their contract.

Again, they’ve willingly just left a couple of million on the table. I don’t want to hear another word about being grateful for the Lansdowns financial backing when they’ve happy to sanction the burning of money.

On an unrelated note, wasn’t Sinclair Armstrong in last year of contract and wouldn’t sign a new one? Didn’t see him training with QPR under 21s and they were able to leverage a good deal from a certain club.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Undecided how i feel about this. Sometimes it's the right thing to do with a player, sometimes you're cutting your nose off to spite your face.

If we can move him on this window, great. If not it's a right mess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Maybe it is for him. Someone else who didn’t bend to the will of Brian/Jon/Steve - never forget, they’ve told us, it’s their club - ostracised when all they’ve done is fulfil their contract.

Again, they’ve willingly just left a couple of million on the table. I don’t want to hear another word about being grateful for the Lansdowns financial backing when they’ve happy to sanction the burning of money.

On an unrelated note, wasn’t Sinclair Armstrong in last year of contract and wouldn’t sign a new one? Didn’t see him training with QPR under 21s and they were able to leverage a good deal from a certain club.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

We’ve just made it crystal clear we want him gone’ somebody’s going to get a bargain.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he gets injured during his contract here it will be our responsibility to rehab him.

Would we have an obligation past the terms of his contract to pay his wages though?

18 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If he isn't in the managers plans, why would they offer him a new contract? 

As for the U21 and giving him some kind of guidance, I think we sent that U21 off on a season long loan to Scotland. 

Both the player and the club agreed a contract, that contract ends in about 12 months time - give or take a bit - what is wrong is when one side (player or club) decide to act in a manner designed to punish someone who (so far) hasn't said they won't fulfil their contractual obligations. 

So your giving no thought then to the reason that he isn’t signing a new contract is due to the fact it makes it easier for him to get a move away?

Bakinson was a **** when he left on loan, with his social media comments and then was made to train with the youth teams until (for some, strange reason) someone came in for him. Doubt we will be seeing the same with TC as he is still a respectable bloke in the changing room.

48 minutes ago, Henry said:

• Thanks 1

Just now, gibbo7 said:

So your giving no thought then to the reason that he isn’t signing a new contract is due to the fact it makes it easier for him to get a move away?

And that’s nothing new is it? Happens all the time. 

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

We’ve been amateurish for a long time. You’ll still get the same people trying to defend the Lansdowns. With every season that pasts I find myself getting more numb to it. Not sure if it’s because I expect it or just struggling to care as much………

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, gibbo7 said:

Why on earth would anyone sign a new contract if the felt their career and opportunities were best met elsewhere? It's not about how much easier it makes things for him, he is perfectly entitled to say, 'No thanks' and that should be the end of it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lenred said:

And that’s nothing new is it? Happens all the time. 

Nothing new but the manager is well within his rights to not want to include him.  A manager has no obligation to play any particular player.

The key point in the article for me was there was no negotiation or counter offer made.  So if he is clearly making it obvious that he doesn’t want to play for the badge and wants pastures new I’m with the manager.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Why on earth would anyone sign a new contract if the felt their career and opportunities were best met elsewhere? It's not about how much easier it makes things for him, he is perfectly entitled to say, 'No thanks' and that should be the end of it. 

Not disagreeing.  Just saying the manager also has the right to manage the player in any way he wishes as long as it’s not deemed as bullying, harassment or any other form of disciplinary misbehaviour.

It’s no different to being put on gardening leave if you are wanting to leave for a rival company.  Happens in everyday life, not just football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Exactly. The only clubs that could afford £5m on a striker aren’t looking at Tommy Conway

We could actually afford £5m on a striker but SL seems to have done one of his usual about turns just as we have moved back to a positive trajectory.

Is that not his entitlement to do though ?

for whatever reason he chooses it’s his decision.

Correct. He’s fulfilling his contract, and it also should be noted backing himsef by not having signed a new deal that would have upped his wages. Even if it was £5k p/w he’s left £250k on the table by not signing last season.

People are happy to take players on a season long loan with no recompense at the end. We have Conway for a season if we want him. Yet people want to hang him for the gall of backing himself - and arguably this is the year he’s most motivated as he’s OOC and the better he does, the better options he has elsewhere. You keep him and this is Conway with a rocket up him.

But I have no issue in selling him now to be clear. What I do have an issue in is letting what looks to be a model pro, who’s meeting his obligations with us, be treated like dirt and at the same time reducing his value to us as a club.

There was a better way here. The way we’ve chosen there are no winners, except Tommys next club who get a big discount because we behave like 5 year olds and not a multimillion organisation.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, gibbo7 said:

It’s no different to being put on gardening leave if you are wanting to leave for a rival company

It’s very different.  He’s still our asset which we should be doing everything to protect. We’ve just chucked money away instead.  

• Like 2