IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Why on earth would anyone sign a new contract if the felt their career and opportunities were best met elsewhere? It's not about how much easier it makes things for him, he is perfectly entitled to say, 'No thanks' and that should be the end of it. 

There’s a bit more to it than that! He’s just benefited from a 14 year apprenticeship at the clubs expense. He’s been coached, pampered and more recently paid handsomely for the privilege. You may say that’s worth nothing but I and some others see this differently!

Edited by Scrumpylegs
  • Like 3

I don't think Conway is anywhere near as good as he thinks he is (yet), but this seems like a petty decision to me. By all accounts, he wants to move on but hasn't actually done anything wrong or broken his contract or obligations in any way. By cutting him off like this, all we are doing is lowering his value and making him a less valuable asset than he would otherwise have been. If we don't manage to sell him, and there seem to be no real suitors for him at the moment, we will be stuck with an unhappy player who may well end up being 'trouble' when he wouldn't have been if we acted differently. It just seems petty and like we've thrown our toys out of the pram. 

As a fan, I hate the fact that we have a player who's been here for 15 years who doesn't want to play for us, and a large part of me thinks 'bollocks to him'. But that is an emotional, not logical, response to this situation and all acting like this does is leave both sides worse off than they needed to be. I understand it but I don't think it's the most sensible course of action for either party. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Bakinson & Watkins?

From memory. Watkins was found hiding at HPC and NP told him to call his agent. Rather forcefully!!

Bakinson wouldn’t do what he was told on the pitch which lead to the comment that he wants to play his own way. 

On the subject of Conway. BT made his annoyance with the boy clear on an episode of FBC. When asked if he thought Tommy was getting good advice he commented that is a question for Tommy and his agent. From that point onward this situation was pretty nailed on. 

My opinion is that NP leaving was a blow to Tommy particularly as his pal had gone too. Mr Manning so far doesn’t play a fast counter attacking game and it’s clear that Conway is being asked to work in a way which doesn’t suit his game!

Tommy is going to be an excellent buy for someone, particularly as the hierarchy have by chucking the kid in the U21s made it clear they will listen to “reasonable” 😂 offers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scrumpylegs said:

There’s a bit more to it than that! He’s just benefited from a 17 year apprenticeship at the clubs expense. He’s been coached, pampered and more recently paid handsomely for the privilege. You may say that’s worth nothing but I and some others see this differently!

But that was an investment the club chose to make. 

He is under no more of an obligation to consider than than a Junior Doctor who has their head turned by an overseas employment opportunity.

He has signed, played and continues to honour his professional contract and the club/manager have kicked him to the U21s because he won't do what THEY want. 

Let's say he was an apprentice bricklayer, qualified, worked for the company that trained him for 12 months and then left for a better opportunity, you'd hold that against them?

Maybe TC has seen a succession of book-balancing outgoing transfers, the lack or chances created that would have benefitted his goal scoring last season and decided, this just isn't for me anymore  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

There’s a bit more to it than that! He’s just benefited from a 14 year apprenticeship at the clubs expense. He’s been coached, pampered and more recently paid handsomely for the privilege. You may say that’s worth nothing but I and some others see this differently!

He has benefitted from a long time at the club, with all the coaching and expsense that entails. But let's not kid ourselves here... if he hadn't got himself to the level where he's an asset to the club, they would have dropped him years ago without even the slightest thought. He also won't have been pampered. The players here work incredibly hard throughout the age groups and very few make it. He has, and now wants to move on.

It's frustrating, and as a fan I really don't like it, but unfortunately he's entitled to do as he pleases and he doesn't want to be here anymore. We just need to get as much money as we can for him and get him out of here as quickly as we can for the good of all parties. If we get a good fee for him, he will have repaid everything that has come his way many times over. 

• Like 1

Pressure on Sinclair, Fally- both relatively raw, one relatively raw and new to the League.

This brings pressure which can lead to a downward trajectory while decreasing the value of Conway and possibly harmony into the bargain.

Great work guys, great work! 🙄

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well said Phil

Well said Phil

Been saying it since I first saw him.

You are usually spot on with most of the stuff you add to this forum Dave but surely you are not suggesting that you think Tommy is going to be the next Shearer??

Edited by Cardy

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I was wondering when that bit of news would break.  Feels very petty!

What's the difference between this and Alex Scott? He told us he didn't want to sign a new contract and instead wanted to leave but we didn't throw him in the u21s. 

I'm not sure it will do his value any good by making this public. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cardy said:

You are usually spot on with most of the stuff you add to this forum Dave but surely you are not suggesting that you think Tommy is going to be the next Shearer??

That he looks like him

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On an unrelated note, wasn’t Sinclair Armstrong in last year of contract and wouldn’t sign a new one? Didn’t see him training with QPR under 21s and they were able to leverage a good deal from a certain club.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Just incredible isn't it. Happy to sign a player who refused to sign a contract with his club but don't like it being done to them. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect 11th or above or our leaders are faltering.

@REDOXO

Possibly a flippant comment by me but they are taking big calls and they were brought in, to purportedly improve the side.

I know in reality Manning is not necessarily getting the tools etc but...The change of October/November was to improve matters yes?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I expect 11th or above or our leaders are faltering.

Yes the pressure is on!

I expect to at least be competitive with the top clubs if we can keep people fit….Always a big ask for City! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Correct. He’s fulfilling his contract, and it also should be noted backing himsef by not having signed a new deal that would have upped his wages. Even if it was £5k p/w he’s left £250k on the table by not signing last season.

People are happy to take players on a season long loan with no recompense at the end. We have Conway for a season if we want him. Yet people want to hang him for the gall of backing himself - and arguably this is the year he’s most motivated as he’s OOC and the better he does, the better options he has elsewhere. You keep him and this is Conway with a rocket up him.

But I have no issue in selling him now to be clear. What I do have an issue in is letting what looks to be a model pro, who’s meeting his obligations with us, be treated like dirt and at the same time reducing his value to us as a club.

There was a better way here. The way we’ve chosen there are no winners, except Tommys next club who get a big discount because we behave like 5 year olds and not a multimillion organisation.

Only just read the Bristol post article I think the telling point is that we offered an ‘ excellent’ contract ( that would be of course subjective) but that TC and his advisors not interested in negotiating and most of all has expressed a desire to leave , this sounds like this has got nasty on both sides , and for all the club bashing on here I think this got a bit tasty that the club has gone down this road 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This revisionism about Conway by some is funny.

His record over 2 years by age, experience, comparables in the division does stand up to scrutiny.

It isn't outright top, but it is competitive and compares quite well.

All a separate issue to the contract stand-off of course but the record is the record and the comparables are the comparables.

In  that case then let's please not forget that 5 of his goals last season was from the penalty spot, his record from open play was below average the guy has a gigantic opinion of him self clearly! you can see it when he cups his ears to the crowd after getting even the slighest amount of stick for his shite performances he is no where near premier league ready and  top clubs at championship level won't be signing him as first team starter no way maybe they will sign him as a project given his age that's it imo. tommy is already right where he needs to be at this stage in his career he was  garanteed games here on a very handsome salary personally I think he will live to regret it. Fair play to manning it sets an example to the rest of the sqaud eaither your committed or your out! Great management and strong leadership.

• Thanks 1

Just now, REDOXO said:

Yes the pressure is on!

I expect to at least be competitive with the top clubs if we can keep people fit….Always a big ask for City! 

8th-10th was a feeling I had.

I don't think we are ready for a true top 6 push but we have a solid base and we have exciting young players but the here and now in key positions I am unsure. The sort of striker QPR signed sounds a good one e.g.

Competitive on individual given days isn't too hard, Stoke Away aside we didn't get thrashed.

A fully or mostly fit squad and you just never know.

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just incredible isn't it. Happy to sign a player who refused to sign a contract with his club but don't like it being done to them. 

True. But Sinclair sees his medium term future at AG and Conway doesn’t. Big difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@REDOXO

Possibly a flippant comment by me but they are taking big calls and they were brought in, to purportedly improve the side.

I know in reality Manning is not necessarily getting the tools etc but...The change of October/November was to improve matters yes?

I was laughing at your low expectation not the flippancy of the comment. 

I expect nothing less than to be competitive. League position is something we can’t judge yet. The nest egg has been dug up and the manager (I mean head coach) has the responsibility to make sure we are. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Only just read the Bristol post article I think the telling point is that we offered an ‘ excellent’ contract ( that would be of course subjective) but that TC and his advisors not interested in negotiating and most of all has expressed a desire to leave , this sounds like this has got nasty on both sides , and for all the club bashing on here I think this got a bit tasty that the club has gone down this road 

Manning may consider it an excellent offer based on the fact Tommy would most likely be earning more than himself. But the reality is our 'excellent' offer probably isn't even close to what Tommy can earn elsewhere. Him and his agent have probably had discussions with other clubs about what they'd pay him.

How has it got nasty on Tommys side? He simply told us he didn't want to sign a new contract as is his right. 

50 minutes ago, Jimmyjimmy said:

No wonder you hide behind FBref 😄

You scoundrel….Wyscout and Opta for me….FBRef, pfffft!

34 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Would we have an obligation past the terms of his contract to pay his wages though?

Yes, a player injured on duty for club is paid 18 months full pay (basic) and 50% beyond that until recovery, if not within 18 months.

A player injured not on city duty (I’m guessing unless he’s been a silly sod and broke the rules) gets 12 months then 50%

6 minutes ago, Cardy said:

No, that he looks like him and has some similar tendencies….but not the same level of ability.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

In  that case then let's please not forget that 5 of his goals last season was from the penalty spot, his record from open play was below average the guy has a gigantic opinion of him self clearly! you can see it when he cups his ears to the crowd after getting even the slighest amount of stick for his shite performances he is no where near premier league ready and  top clubs at championship level won't be signing him as first team starter no way maybe they will sign him as a project given his age that's it imo. tommy is already right where he needs to be at this stage in his career he was  garanteed games here on a very handsome salary personally I think he will live to regret it. Fair play to manning it sets an example to the rest of the sqaud eaither your committed or your out! Great management and strong leadership.

I'm looking over 2 years but happy to go further down and strip out all penalties for all, before looking at assists, weighting for age etc.

I actually think in some ways better served here with a buyout clause, otoh I could also see him at Old Firm or a higher end Championship club. PL ready yet? Don't see it.

27 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s very different.  He’s still our asset which we should be doing everything to protect. We’ve just chucked money away instead.  

Describe how he’s an asset? How in your opinion should he be utilised?

16 minutes ago, Randy Marsh II said:

We're going to lose a natural finisher at this level for less than we're paying for this new lad. 

How very Bristol City.

What should concern us all is why a 21 year old local(ish) lad wants out. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nobody is saying others shouldn’t get first dibs on places in the team, but why make him train with the u21s?  We didn’t do this with other players.  Bit of a sledgehammer isn’t it?

So the club offering conway 2 very good contract offers and being told to do one both times after all the investment the club have made in tommy and the platform the club has provided him also isn't a sledge hammer ? Conway hasn't earned the right to take this stance and STILL be included in the first team squad. If he was a top championship striker then maybe he stays involved but he is far from a top striker at this level yet.  He isn't committed to the club what so ever and clearly doesn't even want to work with the club in finding a good outcome for both parties so why should the club waste anymore time on him ? The player can't have it all ways all the time and to let them dictate is just weak.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

Describe how he’s an asset? How in your opinion should he be utilised?

He was our most valuable financial asset a few months ago!  That’s up the swanny now!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I don't think Conway is anywhere near as good as he thinks he is (yet), but this seems like a petty decision to me. By all accounts, he wants to move on but hasn't actually done anything wrong or broken his contract or obligations in any way. By cutting him off like this, all we are doing is lowering his value and making him a less valuable asset than he would otherwise have been. If we don't manage to sell him, and there seem to be no real suitors for him at the moment, we will be stuck with an unhappy player who may well end up being 'trouble' when he wouldn't have been if we acted differently. It just seems petty and like we've thrown our toys out of the pram. 

As a fan, I hate the fact that we have a player who's been here for 15 years who doesn't want to play for us, and a large part of me thinks 'bollocks to him'. But that is an emotional, not logical, response to this situation and all acting like this does is leave both sides worse off than they needed to be. I understand it but I don't think it's the most sensible course of action for either party. 

Disagree. His value is set and someone reaches it or doesn’t. If not, he is in the u23. We are a stepping stone club but it does not mean we need to cater to every young player. In this instance, we are right I think. We have been in constant talks, we have him an offer and after a season he didn’t go above and beyond to earn a better offer. 

Being professional is the bare minimum so I am glad he is doing that. However, he doesn’t want to commit to bristol city so why should we commit to playing him? We have new players in and new options who want to be here. It is consequence for the path he has taken. Sorry we won’t be held hostage by a 22 year old who frankly has achieved mediocrity so far in his career. I’d argue he has reached his ceiling or close to it. He won’t be getting much stronger, faster or better in the air. 

Anyway, not supposed to be a TC bashing post. I just agree with the actions taken. Preseason and early opportunities will go to committed players. I’m sure he can work his way back into the side if keeps up his professionalism and doesn’t leave this window. No reason he should be taking minutes from players who are here. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

I think the thing you have to remember is that the “club bashers”…

- Back Liams right not to play Tommy if he doesn’t see it as appropriate

- Back the clubs right to sell Tommy as opposed to letting him run his contract down if that’s what they feel is best.

- And, for good order, I’d imagine that even the “Tommy bashers” back his right not to sign a new contract as that is his perogative.

What nobody should back is the way things have been done. You had a player who by consensus wasn’t causing an issue and you could still have sold. You’ve created a possible contagion issue per the evening post article. You’ve reduced the price you get for him.

The club making things a “bit tasty” is the equivalent of punching yourself in the face because you fancy a fight. And there is no way it can or should be backed in view of the finances alone.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You normally see a first team player training with the U21's as some form of punishment. That's what i don't like. He has done nothing wrong, other than not sign a contract, and i don't see how he should be punished. The manager might say, he is not part of his current plans, and that would be fair enough, but exclusion to the U21's is harsh imo. It does need resolving sooner rather than later, and i just hope Tommy hasn't overplayed his hand.

Why an earth should liam manning have uncommitted players in his squad though? If he plays tommy he naturally protects his self from injury and doesn't run through brick walls does he. Absolutely no good can come from having him around plus why would you have a player in with the first team saying stuff like " sod signing here I don't like the tactics " etc and getting in people's ear sod that 

6 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

So the club offering conway 2 very good contract offers and being told to do one both times after all the investment the club have made in tommy and the platform the club has provided him also isn't a sledge hammer ? Conway hasn't earned the right to take this stance and STILL be included in the first team squad. If he was a top championship striker then maybe he stays involved but he is far from a top striker at this level yet.  He isn't committed to the club what so ever and clearly doesn't even want to work with the club in finding a good outcome for both parties so why should the club waste anymore time on him ? The player can't have it all ways all the time and to let them dictate is just weak.

He is under no obligation to sign a contract extension. He informed the club their offers were not acceptable and that he'd be looking to leave. As is his right! Just like Alex Scott did may I add!!!

He's fulfilled his contract that he signed. He turned up to pre season training. 

You've made a lot of assumptions in your post. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cidre Monita said:

What should concern us all is why a 21 year old local(ish) lad wants out. 

He wants to try his luck at a higher level, he wants to earn more money, he wants to try and earn a spot in a team that plays the way that will give him more goalscoring chances, after being at the club since he was a child he thinks now is the right time to take on a new challenge in a new environment, or it could be that he has seen a succession of young players leave and decided that whilst this trend continues it will be very difficult to be successful as the club keep trying to balance the books.

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning may consider it an excellent offer based on the fact Tommy would most likely be earning more than himself. But the reality is our 'excellent' offer probably isn't even close to what Tommy can earn elsewhere. Him and his agent have probably had discussions with other clubs about what they'd pay him.

How has it got nasty on Tommys side? He simply told us he didn't want to sign a new contract as is his right. 

Not what was said he has said he wants to leave , which is much more than saying won’t sign a new contract

1 minute ago, BCFC31 said:

Why an earth should liam manning have uncommitted players in his squad though?

Where has anyone said he is uncommitted to performing well for City? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

He wants to try his luck at a higher level, he wants to earn more money, he wants to try and earn a spot in a team that plays the way that will give him more goalscoring chances, after being at the club since he was a child he thinks now is the right time to take on a new challenge in a new environment, or it could be that he has seen a succession of young players leave and decided that whilst this trend continues it will be very difficult to be successful as the club keep trying to balance the books.

The young players leaving thing, part of that is FFP related. If he doesn't get that, it is a poor reflection on his Agent at minimum.

I do agree with other parts of your post but if he doesn't get what constraints we were working under for 2 years then that isn't great. Semenyo left because we likely fail otherwise.

Agents generally seem like disruptive sleazebags.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Why an earth should liam manning have uncommitted players in his squad though? If he plays tommy he naturally protects his self from injury and doesn't run through brick walls does he. Absolutely no good can come from having him around plus why would you have a player in with the first team saying stuff like " sod signing here I don't like the tactics " etc and getting in people's ear sod that 

Do you really think he won’t still be meeting up with and communicating with the squad ?

Of course he will so banishing him to the Under21s wouldn’t make it any more preventable to stop him getting in other people’s ears if that was his intention. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing you have to remember is that the “club bashers”…

- Back Liams right not to play Tommy if he doesn’t see it as appropriate

- Back the clubs right to sell Tommy as opposed to letting him run his contract down if that’s what they feel is best.

- And, for good order, I’d imagine that even the “Tommy bashers” back his right not to sign a new contract as that is his perogative.

What nobody should back is the way things have been done. You had a player who by consensus wasn’t causing an issue and you could still have sold. You’ve created a possible contagion issue per the evening post article. You’ve reduced the price you get for him.

The club making things a “bit tasty” is the equivalent of punching yourself in the face because you fancy a fight. And there is no way it can or should be backed in view of the finances alone.

Again you saying not causing an issue ? He not just turned down a contract he has said he wants to leave , that’s an issue 

Just now, Davefevs said:

He was our most valuable financial asset a few months ago!  That’s up the swanny now!

His value was much higher before the start of last season, not only due to contract but also performance.  Over the past 12 months for me he hasn’t developed how I would have hoped.

Seemed to turn up for the Sky cameras a couple of times but for the majority of the games he played was mainly a passenger, not strong enough, didn’t look sharp or particularly quick.

Like all footballers he will have an agent knowing exactly what to do to lower his transfer value and therefore increase his own wage.

I'm not against a footballer doing it.  Its a short career but I'm with Manning in the fact of if you don't want to be here for the Journey step off the bus.

i enjoy seeing the stats and data you put up for various players.  If you were a buying club looking at Conway’s last campaign what would make you believe he’s worth signing at top championship or Premier League level?

Scottish football for me is shite!  If Conway goes there i think he will get less game time and will be outscored by SPH.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Not what was said he has said he wants to leave , which is much more than saying won’t sign a new contract

Of course he wants to leave. We have a manager who hasn't fancied him from day 1. The lad feels like he can move up a level and earn more money. Fair play to him. 

We've signed players from league one before. Its just how the food chain works. 

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Again you saying not causing an issue ? He not just turned down a contract he has said he wants to leave , that’s an issue 

Why is it an issue? It wasn't an issue when Scott or Semenyo didn't sign a new contract? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree. His value is set and someone reaches it or doesn’t. If not, he is in the u23. We are a stepping stone club but it does not mean we need to cater to every young player. In this instance, we are right I think. We have been in constant talks, we have him an offer and after a season he didn’t go above and beyond to earn a better offer. 

Being professional is the bare minimum so I am glad he is doing that. However, he doesn’t want to commit to bristol city so why should we commit to playing him? We have new players in and new options who want to be here. It is consequence for the path he has taken. Sorry we won’t be held hostage by a 22 year old who frankly has achieved mediocrity so far in his career. I’d argue he has reached his ceiling or close to it. He won’t be getting much stronger, faster or better in the air. 

Anyway, not supposed to be a TC bashing post. I just agree with the actions taken. Preseason and early opportunities will go to committed players. I’m sure he can work his way back into the side if keeps up his professionalism and doesn’t leave this window. No reason he should be taking minutes from players who are here. 

Most sensible post I’ve read on here!!

• Like 2

Just now, BCFC31 said:

What constitutes a very good contract, that’s just the clubs side of it.

Took Vyner to “threaten” to leave to get the deal he wanted. History tells us we underpay our local / academy players.  So I don’t speculate on what he’s been offered and whether it’s good or not.

The sledgehammer isn’t the contract offer though, it’s the petty decision of kicking him out of the dressing room and making him train with the u21s.

Everything else is just your opinion of his ability or speculation of his commitment.  My evaluation of TC is different.  That’s fine.

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Of course he wants to leave. We have a manager who hasn't fancied him from day 1. The lad feels like he can move up a level and earn more money. Fair play to him. 

Why is it an issue? It wasn't an issue when Scott or Semenyo didn't sign a new contract? 

It was an issue hence they were both sold.  The difference being they both had suitors willing to pay decent money for them, at present it seems Conway doesn’t and his value is nothing like the same!!

If Conway believes he is at that level I can’t wait to see him prove me wrong. I don’t!!

I’m with Manning. If a player isn’t all in then there’s no point in him being involved. He will just be blocking the path of those that do want to be here to play & develop for Bristol City.

Tommy’s head has been elsewhere for over 6 months now. He’s made his mind up that he wants to move to Scotland so realistically we are only getting £300k anyway.

Personally I think Tommy probably has a bit of ego problem without necessarily having the talent to back it up. If he was that good he would have adapted his game by now to fit with Manning’s style - he hasn’t been able to do so.

I also think he has been badly advised regarding the contract & behaved appallingly considering the club has nurtured / developed him from such a young age. That said it’s not the first time this situation has happened in football & it certainly won’t be the last.

The sooner Tommy leaves now the better it is for all concerned as the bridge has been burnt down. I believe he will look back & regret his actions at some point in the future given that City are his local club.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 7

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

I know you can’t stand Manning made that clear many times but if a player in the camp has not only turned down a contract but expressed a desire to leave it leaves the club in a very awkward position , a lot would revolve around how TC and his advisors delivered that message 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

Scottish football for me is shite!  If Conway goes there i think he will get less game time and will be outscored by SPH.

I dunno. The odds are that if he went there be would be playing for one of the Old Firm.

This can also mean opportunities to play in European competition- especially the CL.

Score goals there and it can put you on the map a bit..both higher ranked clubs but also National Team opportunities.

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Seriously?

Seriously?  So he’s an asset for how long?

Should he be playing infront of developing our new talent?

Why does everyone feel he’s worth so much in value?

The club will take into consideration before doing anything market value and interest.

why is Tommy still god in some people’s eyes yet Maynard was a knob?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

He gave both Bakinson and Massengo some pretty nasty and vindictive treatment once they made it clear they wanted out. Widely reported.

Only if you're a limp wristed woke baby.

Most sane people would understand it as perfectly acceptable, harsh but fair, carrot and stick man management that didn't contravene a single employment law, never mind anyone's "human rights".

If you disagree, fair enough, but you'd have to level the same criticism against every other successful football manager in the last I don't know how many years.

You make it sound like he was Joey ******* Barton.

Which he emphatically was not.

He is a superb man manager. We can quibble about his tactics as a football manager but you cannot seriously suggest he was poor, unfair or, indeed, vindictive as a leader of men. All the evidence indicates that is horseshit.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

It really isn’t.

The Evening Post article itself says that Conway remains a popular member of the squad and players and staff have expressed surprise at the decision.

There is nothing to suggest he is causing an issue in the squad - and again, he has had this contract and refused to sign it for over a year. So we’re expected to believe that he was professional enough to play while not negotiating last season but not now? So his professionalism has gone out of the window since May?

Players know all the time that their peers are leaving in 6/9/12 months time. The fact he’s said he won’t renew his contract is in no way an issue today - as it wasn’t one two months ago for the same management team….

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Club can set whatever value they want, their prerogative. Tinnion seems happy to accept the risk he might run his contract down and we might get as little as €400k

Value club place is therefore irrelevant if nobody wants to pay that amount over the next 11 1/2 months.

Saw a tweet earlier that a posh lady is furious as she can’t sell her her £1.6m house.  One of the replies was, that’s because it’s only worth £1.3m.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dunno. The odds are that if he went there be would be playing for one of the Old Firm.

This can also mean opportunities to play in European competition- especially the CL.

Score goals there and it can put you on the map a bit..both higher ranked clubs but also National Team opportunities.

I wouldn’t have him as a starter for either old firm team!!  Hence my comment about SPH outscoring him.

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It really isn’t.

The Evening Post article itself says that Conway remains a popular member of the squad and players and staff have expressed surprise at the decision.

There is nothing to suggest he is causing an issue in the squad - and again, he has had this contract and refused to sign it for over a year. So we’re expected to believe that he was professional enough to play while not negotiating last season but not now? So his professionalism has gone out of the window since May?

Players know all the time that their peers are leaving in 6/9/12 months time. The fact he’s said he won’t renew his contract is in no way an issue today - as it wasn’t one two months ago for the same management team….

Over the last year the club has made it clear they hoped he would change his mind.  Conway has since said that he isn’t going to.  

At that point the clubs stance on the situation has to change!  We have to look after our future as a club, not Tommys as a player, meaning signing a replacement and spending our resources on developing them, not Tommy for another teams benefit.

• Like 1

I feel this is a mistake in the way it’s being handled.  As I previously said it won’t go down well with the other players.  Also we’ve categorically burnt our bridges with him.  Until this point there was a chance that with no bids by deadline day he might have taken the new contract.  No chance of that now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I see a Mr Gay is very supportive of this decision, didn’t he lambast Nige’s approach on Massengo?

I wonder what’s changed……

Mr Gay is a ……….

Just now, TinMan's left peg said:

I feel this is a mistake in the way it’s being handled.  As I previously said it won’t go down well with the other players.  Also we’ve categorically burnt our bridges with him.  Until this point there was a chance that with no bids by deadline day he might have taken the new contract.  No chance of that now. 

Really silly decision but that’s the inexperience of Tinnion and Manning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Club can set whatever value they want, their prerogative. Tinnion seems happy to accept the risk he might run his contract down and we might get as little as €400k

Value club place is therefore irrelevant if nobody wants to pay that amount over the next 11 1/2 months.

Saw a tweet earlier that a posh lady is furious as she can’t sell her her £1.6m house.  One of the replies was, that’s because it’s only worth £1.3m.

No I get it. We have had years of low spending to help future spending but it also took pressure off to sell. Whatever our valuation we should stick to. I’m pretty sure fees we got for Kodjia, Webster and Scott were more than most people expected. So why should we change it now? 

Sure, 2m or so helps us down the road. However, receiving compensation is pure profit too. I take your point to low balling academy players. That’s fair and maybe they have here. However, I’m sure there is a middle ground both sides probably not entertaining. 

I just feel this was the risk Tommy took not signing a new deal. It was a chance to lose playing time. He signs a new deal we probably don’t see both Fally and Sinclair. The club have always bargained hard for fees. So I’m not sure what he thought he would accomplish. I wish him well because he has been a pro and fun at times. I just feel like he wants to take a shortcut to riches because he saw others get it immediately. That was never his path imo. I think this is a message to the squad. No one is bigger than the club and I agree with it. We have numbers where we will sell you but we expect you to be committed if the bids don’t come in. 

5 minutes ago, gibbo7 said:

I wouldn’t have him as a starter for either old firm team!!  Hence my comment about SPH outscoring him.

Even as a squad player he may get a goal or 2 in Europe.

I think he is underrated Conway but he still has growth and development to do. He should be a contender to start at an Old Firm side IMO.

We disagree on his ability and ceiling that's fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gibbo7 said:

Over the last year the club has made it clear they hoped he would change his mind.  Conway has since said that he isn’t going to.  

At that point the clubs stance on the situation has to change!  We have to look after our future as a club, not Tommys as a player, meaning signing a replacement and spending our resources on developing them, not Tommy for another teams benefit.

Nobody is saying we need to play him or develop him. Not one person. All anyone is saying is that we have reduced the players value by acting as we have, which there was no need to do. He could have continued to train and we didn’t need to do that.

So, simple question - ignore all the noise about what’s best for Tommy etc etc - purely from the clubs perspective by kicking him out of the first team set up have we reduced his likely sale price, and therefore we lose out.

Thats all anyone’s saying. The rest is just noise.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I bet a certain loud opinionated and often wrong City fan I'm not really meant to mention now is shouting his favour towards the decision. In other words the same as Ian Gay.

Ah you’re aware of the first rule of fight club as well…!

• Like 1

Just now, TinMan's left peg said:

Why would it not go down well with the other players? He's still getting paid, all the club is doing is putting their focus on the players that want to be there or at least have a sufficient contact length  for them to remain an asset. It's not as if being asked to train with the reserves is anything new. The players would all be aware of how football works.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Everything I hear makes it pretty certain he’s not signing anything and has told the club he wants to leave , as I said previously for this to escalate so quickly I think the way the ‘ I want to leave ‘ message was delivered by him and his ******** agent is a big part of this