IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

No doubt this would be the chosen scenario but 'I want to leave' suggests there's no way back now.

His 'welcome' should he face City in the future should be interesting. 🤔 

I’ve never found the need to boo or abuse a returning player so I wouldn’t be any different if or when Conway returns to Ashton Gate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Or it could be that people think Conway could be more useful than Massengo, he’s hardly set the footballing world alight since he left 

Massengo was still a good player and would have been more useful than an empty space on the bench or putting on u21 for the sake of it

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Or it could be that people think Conway could be more useful than Massengo, he’s hardly set the footballing world alight since he left 

I think Massengo was...badly advised.

Did play at Auxerre on loan might have been worth his while going back to France and given his age looking to build his profile a bit there.

Don't think he is as bad as people say, at the same time he didn't stand out here but I don't think the tactical and club environment was conducive to a range of signings we made 2019-20 and 2020-21.

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

We could have multiple dynamics with Tommy we don't know, but does not stop those judging city without the full picture.

For all we know we could be already negotiating a transfer at the minimum we will be circulating his availability.

This just strikes me as a hail mary, perhaps a desperate roll af the dice but the situation is definitely different to 18 months ago.

It's a damaging situation to all concerned anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

And liam manning is under no obligation to play an uncommitted player. This is the risk agents and players take when they think its all power to them. 

Although it's silly to not make use of arguably your best striker and most valuable player whilst they are under contract. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Massengo was still a good player and would have been more useful than an empty space on the bench or putting on u21 for the sake of it

I can’t say I was ever overly impressed by him and that seems to be the view of his employers since leaving.

Many people liked the fact that youngsters were brought into the Matchday squads

12 minutes ago, redrob said:

Nope, me neither. 

As a local lad I think he owes the club and the best solution would have been to sign a new contract and to have a release clause that if someone comes in for him at a sensible mutually agreed trigger price he is free to talk to them. 

Unfortunately, whoever is advising him may have pulled the wrong card! 

I don't think he owes us anything. Has he received good training and been nurtured through the academy process - yes. Has this training and nurturing seen his stock rise in the game - yes. But it's not all altruistic. Tommy's rise, like others through our Academy, has benefited City greatly too, not just on the pitch but throughout the game where young players may see us as a good club to sign for, while other clubs might see us as a good place to send players on loan. Tommy is not duty bound to sign another contract with us, or an extension, if he feels his career would be better advanced elsewhere. I'd like him to stay but only if he us happy and comfortable with that decision and I doubt it will happen. Better then that he departs quickly. 

• Like 5

• Admin

Not an issue now whilst we have full numbers but if The Old Firm clubs decide to wait 12 months to sign him for £300k next Summer, what happens when we have a few injuries and the staff decide to bring the 21s to first team training to ensure quality of training? "Not you Tommy! Go run some laps"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't think he owes us anything. Has he received good training and been nurtured through the academy process - yes. Has this training and nurturing seen his stock rise in the game - yes. But it's not all altruistic. Tommy's rise, like others through our Academy, has benefited City greatly too, not just on the pitch but throughout the game where young players may see us as a good club to sign for, while other clubs might see us as a good place to send players on loan. Tommy is not duty bound to sign another contract with us, or an extension, if he feels his career would be better advanced elsewhere. I'd like him to stay but only if he us happy and comfortable with that decision and I doubt it will happen. Better then that he departs quickly. 

Yes I think people need to remember that the club haven’t had TC at the club out of the kindness of their hearts.

They’ve had him there as part of their business and as we’ve seen before with the likes of Scott and Semenyo then they would liked to of sold Conway for a price that boosts the coffers

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I can’t say I was ever overly impressed by him and that seems to be the view of his employers since leaving.

Many people liked the fact that youngsters were brought into the Matchday squads

The problem with Massengo is we never used him right. Nagy should have been deployed as the holding midfielder and Massengo as the No10. Massengo could beat a player in a phone box and could pass with accuracy. He'd have scored a few goals had we played him that way. I'll be interested to see how Burnley use him. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, redrob said:

Nope, me neither. 

As a local lad I think he owes the club and the best solution would have been to sign a new contract and to have a release clause that if someone comes in for him at a sensible mutually agreed trigger price he is free to talk to them. 

Unfortunately, whoever is advising him may have pulled the wrong card! 

Is it Danny coles ? Look where he ended up. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The problem with Massengo is we never used him right. Nagy should have been deployed as the holding midfielder and Massengo as the No10. Massengo could beat a player in a phone box and could pass with accuracy. He'd have scored a few goals had we played him that way. I'll be interested to see how Burnley use him. 

This I agree on. A midfield 3 a true one could've done us some good IMO.

Korey, one of Nagy or Massengo, Brownhill in the first instance.

Korey had his injuries. Shoehorning certain players in didn't help, doesn't help.

It felt to me as if we didn't deploy some of the players we had in the best way at the best time.

1 minute ago, Ian M said:

Not an issue now whilst we have full numbers but if The Old Firm clubs decide to wait 12 months to sign him for £300k next Summer, what happens when we have a few injuries and the staff decide to bring the 21s to first team training to ensure quality of training? "Not you Tommy! Go run some laps"

If the club have accepted negotiations are finished and decided he is going, they will not be waiting a year to get compensation from the jocks, they will accept the best offer now and get him and his wages off the books.

Whilst not setting the world alight last season, plenty of championship or other clubs will think they can grap a bargain player with good potential this window.

Perhaps putting in the 21s also sends a message to Tommy he needs to be accepting of offers from other clubs otherwise he is going to go backwards in this career fir a year

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If his value is as you suggest Joe, why tell clubs we want £5-8m…if not more?

Idk what they are asking. I’m just saying it doesn’t matter if it is 2m or 10m. Teams will either deem the number acceptable or not. Freezing him out for 6 weeks won’t change anything imo. Then when we get to January it’s going to be something low if he is to go. It isn’t as of we did this in January with 18 months left. Everyone knows what type of player he is and some preseason games and training with BCFC first team won’t matter. 

All the pressure is on Conway. You sign and fight to get into the team. Or you don’t and risk missing a season of professional football. I don’t think it changes our season much whether he stays or goes. 

Whether the club is being too ambitious, I don’t know. I’d rather send the message to other clubs that we aren’t easy negotiators. I’d rather show players we can give you exposure, development and minutes at a young age but we don’t serve them when it comes to moves away. They go on the club’s terms only and rocking the cart can leave you out in the cold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Has he been playing in their pre season matches out of interest ?

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Rangers now one of the clubs linked with Tyreese Campbell who is a free agent. Can't think they'd want TC if they land him. 

16 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’ve never found the need to boo or abuse a returning player so I wouldn’t be any different if or when Conway returns to Ashton Gate.

Each to their own, I must be a bad person! 😉

Club will do whatever they can to shift him before the deadline to bank a fee. If he is still here beyond then I imagine likely he will be moved back to first team so we can use him 

even Mbappe got pied off to the reserves by PSG a few times when he was refusing their contracts angling for a move to Madrid. Every time a window passed and it didn’t materialised they made nice and started playing him again , even though they knew he would leave eventually 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Club can set whatever value they want, their prerogative. Tinnion seems happy to accept the risk he might run his contract down and we might get as little as €400k

Value club place is therefore irrelevant if nobody wants to pay that amount over the next 11 1/2 months.

Saw a tweet earlier that a posh lady is furious as she can’t sell her her £1.6m house.  One of the replies was, that’s because it’s only worth £1.3m.

Probably that Tilly woman fron Clifton who claimed the Ashton Gate lights were impacting her quality of living.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed.

I'm also almost amazed a mountain has been made out of a non-existent molehill. Almost.

As posted earlier, multiple posters need to give their head a wobble here.

No-one's saying Conway's suddenly a disruptive prima donna. No-one's saying "Think of the children! How will all our academy kids react?". No-one's saying Tinnion or Manning have lost the plot.

It's really ******* simple:

- Is it in City's best interest that Conway leaves NOW, for some sort of fee - or in 12 months time for peanuts?

The decision to stick him with the u21s is - simply- an attempt to engineer the former, not the latter.

That is all.

No more, no less.

Sensible posters completely losing the plot on this one.

Put yourself in City's shoes - is it best he leaves this summer or next  given he won't sign a new contract?

For City - this summer, right?

But there's no sign of that happening, right?

So what should City?

Sticking Conway in the u21s might seem harsh but it is about the only move the club have left to try and engineer the outcome that is in the best interests of our football club.

And it's in no way comparable- absolutely no way comparable - to the situations of Scott or Semenyo. They had clubs queuing up to sign them, clubs happy to offer us what we wanted, when we wanted it. That's NOT the case with Conway. We have clubs happy to sign him when They want even if it doesn't suit us. For a fee They're happy to pay but doesn't suit us.

They and Conway hold the cards.

We're just trying to shift the dynamic, bring it back to something more favourable to City. Drastic - and harsh on the player - but this is about what's best for Bristol City. Which is exactly as it should be.

Finally some sense👏🏻

• Admin
7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If the club have accepted negotiations are finished and decided he is going, they will not be waiting a year to get compensation from the jocks, they will accept the best offer now and get him and his wages off the books.

Whilst not setting the world alight last season, plenty of championship or other clubs will think they can grap a bargain player with good potential this window.

Perhaps putting in the 21s also sends a message to Tommy he needs to be accepting of offers from other clubs otherwise he is going to go backwards in this career fir a year

It's fine if we manage to shift him (well, other than telling other clubs they can low-ball us) but if we don't, let's hope we don't need to use him as he's losing all this "on the grass" time with Liam.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Although it's silly to not make use of arguably your best striker and most valuable player whilst they are under contract. 

Not keeping all your options open in any business is daft.

By all mean freeze out a knob, but freezing out TC (unless he's being disruptive) sends out the wrong message.

Players take note of these things.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not though is it?

The easiest thing would be to lower the asking price and try and keep a player onside.

You are right it’s not comparable to Scott and Semenyo in terms of who is after him and fee.

But by being drastic and harsh on the player we are reducing our chance of getting a good fee.  We’ve shown our hand (again).

We just fold to player pressure?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So we may get 1 million for him now or nothing at the end of the season,he won’t down tools trust me 

No offence but I'd rather " trust " mannings judgment on this one 

• Like 1

We have known about this situation for months and months. And yet, we are weeks away until the season and nothing seems to be any clearer. The news of Conway training with the U21s does surprise me, but gushing to a player that doesn’t want to be here, is that really the right thing to do?

His head has been turned, but nobody is there. It’s a bit embarrassing all round.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We are recruiting his replacement we need to get on with life after conway and thankfully the club are doing that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Massengo was the most overrated player in our history. 

I thought he was better than what we had in that position but if he didn’t want to be at the club Pearson and co. did the right thing, just like Manning and co. are now.

• Like 2

People who talk about the Diedhiou season, there were 3 phases.

What was notable was that his output spiked drastically between say mid November and mid to late January, it genuinely compared well.

Then:tumbleweed:until May apart from an outstanding game at Middlesbrough.

NP watching brief, Middlesbrough had been watching Diedhiou.

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d say making the best out of the situation.

certainly better than paying him to train with the U21’s with the first team door shut.

What do you do? Do you have him onside and play him? Others around wondering why a lad not interested is taking their place in the team. 

He has to go this window, that’s obvious.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

What do you do? Do you have him onside and play him? Others around wondering why a lad not interested is taking their place in the team. 

He won't and we will be left with 2 forwards who are promising but raw, struggling to find their feet- we'll struggle for goals and pressure will mount.

It's a brave call, let's hope it pays off.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I think as professional footballers as long as he puts the effort in then I don’t think the others would overly care.

its the nature of their business that players come and go and players go in and out of the team.

what is more likely to raise an issue with the players is seeing one of their mates and teammates being banished.

Its a poor situation but in any workplace an unhappy workforce performs far worse than one that is together and harmonious 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

WTF you on about.....who mentioned race ?

You haven’t read the numerous other threads then when you compare a player with another player and they say you are only saying that because they are both black,the Armstrong thread for starters 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We have known about this situation for months and months. And yet, we are weeks away until the season and nothing seems to be any clearer. The news of Conway training with the U21s does surprise me, but gushing to a player that doesn’t want to be here, is that really the right thing to do?

His head has been turned, but nobody is there. It’s a bit embarrassing all round.

And again, this is one of the oddities about it. Tommy has, per all accounts, given us no intent of signing the contracts we’ve offered him at any point. We were totally aware that he wasn’t signing for a year. Yet we played him. And now we have a problem with him not signing a deal we’ve known for ages he’s not signing?

There will be interest in him. As I’ve said before I think he’s looking at a Middlesbrough level - playoffs at this level. There will be interest - he’s a 21 year old international (acknowledged it’s Scotland) with a reasonable record at this level and capacity to improve. 

I don’t think you gush to him by any means. But what you don’t do in any negotiation is show desperation to sell and I think that’s most people’s issue here - there’s a lot of conflation of people saying “He doesn’t want to be here, he’s made his bed etc”. Thats fine. I’m not disagreeing with the decision to sell. What I am saying is that we’ve both consciously devalued an asset and made teammates and staff uncomfortable (per the Post article).

The decision to sell is fine. The fact we as a club appear to have changed our stance is odd, and the fact that we’ve put ourselves not in the driving seat on negotiations with other clubs is just plain daft.

It’s what’s best for Bristol City. And on that consideration the destination (sale) looks right. The route we’ve taken is, however, more than questionable.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think as professional footballers as long as he puts the effort in then I don’t think the others would overly care.

its the nature of their business that players come and go and players go in and out of the team.

what is more likely to raise an issue with the players is seeing one of their mates and teammates being banished.

Its a poor situation but in any workplace an unhappy workforce performs far worse than one that is together and harmonious 

Joe Bryan downed tools from March onwards before he left in the Summer. The performances from that time were abysmal and the body language looked all wrong. Maybe Tommy is different, but it doesn’t look to be going well so far. Who knows what’s been said behind closed doors between both parties?

Either way, he needs to go now.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

It's still relatively early in this window. Lots more business to be done across all the leagues yet. Perfectly plausible that someone who hasn't shown their hand yet will just come in and get the deal done. Tommy might still have some credit in the bank with a few scouts for his high profile performances in the FA Cup last season. Hopeful that we get a decent price. 

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Joe Bryan downed tools from March onwards before he left in the Summer. The performances from that time were abysmal and the body language looked all wrong. Maybe Tommy is different, but it doesn’t look to be going well so far. Who knows what’s been said behind closed doors between both parties?

That was the most clear and obvious one for me but no they went for Fammy 🤔

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Let's hope two raw strikers don't have a slow start and pressure mount.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And again, this is one of the oddities about it. Tommy has, per all accounts, given us no intent of signing the contracts we’ve offered him at any point. We were totally aware that he wasn’t signing for a year. Yet we played him. And now we have a problem with him not signing a deal we’ve known for ages he’s not signing?

There will be interest in him. As I’ve said before I think he’s looking at a Middlesbrough level - playoffs at this level. There will be interest - he’s a 21 year old international (acknowledged it’s Scotland) with a reasonable record at this level and capacity to improve. 

I don’t think you gush to him by any means. But what you don’t do in any negotiation is show desperation to sell and I think that’s most people’s issue here - there’s a lot of conflation of people saying “He doesn’t want to be here, he’s made his bed etc”. Thats fine. I’m not disagreeing with the decision to sell. What I am saying is that we’ve both consciously devalued an asset and made teammates and staff uncomfortable (per the Post article).

The decision to sell is fine. The fact we as a club appear to have changed our stance is odd, and the fact that we’ve put ourselves not in the driving seat on negotiations with other clubs is just plain daft.

It’s what’s best for Bristol City. And on that consideration the destination (sale) looks right. The route we’ve taken is, however, more than questionable.

Good points.

But do you let this drag on? Do you let him in and play this season out and go for free, whilst potentially upsetting the team with squad rotation decisions, for a guy that’s not interested.

34 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah. I'm amazed how many are defending Conway here. Someone said something about 'forced labor' by making him train with the U21s. Laughable, such a hard life eh.

He doesn't wanna be here, so **** him and there is nothing in his contract that says he can't be allowed to train with the U21's. 

15 goals from open play in 80 matches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This is so simple.

Tommy doesn’t wanna be here, he doesn’t want to be at Bristol City, so why have him around the team? It’s his choice, nobody else’s. If he doesn’t want to be here, then he isn’t part of the team. It really is as simple as that. 

No hard feelings, but we move on. 

Thanks Tommy and good luck. 

Yep. See you later basically

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Good points.

But do you let this drag on? Do you let him in and play this season out and go for free, whilst potentially upsetting the team with squad rotation decisions, for a guy that’s not interested.

Footballers are footballers - they’ll want the guys in the team that help them be most successful - whether that’s Tommy or not. I don’t think in view of the transient nature of most players stays at clubs they’ll actually care that much that someone is playing who is leaving at the end of the season and the freezing out actually does more harm.

(Avoidance of doubt - this is when there is something riding on a season - if you play somebody who is leaving when your season is dead it’s daft)

My view is that you don’t let it drag on and you do look to sell now. But my issue is, again, by doing it the way we have we’re likely to recieve less money than we would have had we just tried to sell “normally” - as, again, QPR seem to have with a certain forward who has told them he’s likely not renewing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Yeah. I'm amazed how many are defending Conway here. Someone said something about 'forced labor' by making him train with the U21s. Laughable, such a hard life eh.

He doesn't wanna be here, so **** him and there is nothing in his contract that says he can't be allowed to train with the U21's. 

14 in 64 and 4 Assists if League only, not all of them starts.

Are you including set pieces in your analysis.

Or 65 Games at a push given he scored an open play and a penalty v Blackburn.

Can you show your workings- sample size, time and which competitions?

Are we going back to his very early days? Or beginning in August 2022?

39 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not saying players don’t I’m saying Tommy won’t,be careful what you say because there are plenty of white players who have downed tools as well for our club 

If he’s here running his contract down I would be amazed if he was putting his body on the line later in the season and risking injury. Get shot asap. 

• Like 1

The interest in Conway doesn’t seem to be anything serious as yet, nothing like a bidding war anyway. But it’s been months since clubs will have heard about the situation. How long do you leave it? We need to plan for the future of Bristol City, Tommy Conway isn’t in our plans, just like we are not his.

We are 3 weeks away until 24/25 kicks off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Not sure it’s people defending him, it’s people saying there are two sides to this.

just because someone decides they don’t want to sign a new contract it doesn’t suddenly mean they’re a wrongun or should be abused.

The club will always do what they think is in their best interests so why shouldn’t an individual 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He won't and we will be left with 2 forwards who are promising but raw, struggling to find their feet- we'll struggle for goals and pressure will mount.

It's a brave call, let's hope it pays off.

Tommy was very mediocre in mannings systems in my opinion. Neither the power or pace to unsettle defenders. No good as a lone striker. Good finisher but penalties and comedy back pass created chances aside he wasn’t great last season.

Just now, Back of the Dolman said:

Not sure it’s people defending him, it’s people saying there are two sides to this.

just because someone decides they don’t want to sign a new contract it doesn’t suddenly mean they’re a wrongun or should be abused.

The club will always do what they think is in their best interests so why shouldn’t an individual 

'Abused'? Do you mean by being told to train with the U21s, or do you mean the fans?

48 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We just fold to player pressure?

No, badly worded….we do the best for Bristol City in terms of getting as much money as we can as quickly as possible.  My view is we have gone about that wrong way.  The Approach has dragged something into the public domain that didn’t need to and weakened our position.

• Like 5

Just now, 2015 said:

'Abused'? Do you mean by being told to train with the U21s, or do you mean the fans?

No I mean the comments from people about his attitude, his ego, being a billy big bollox and various comments of **** him.

personally I think it’s childish and takes a very simplistic view of the football business with regards to contracts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Has he been playing in their pre season matches out of interest ?

Don’t think they’ve played any yet.

New manager, new start. Just turned 23, It is a season he’ll definitely be wanting to play a lot of football, hopefully with Burnley. 

4 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Tommy was very mediocre in mannings systems in my opinion. Neither the power or pace to unsettle defenders. No good as a lone striker. Good finisher but penalties and comedy back pass created chances aside he wasn’t great last season.

Manning and his system(s).

A lone striker with 2 10s?

Wingbacks with the target of a 7?

Conway was in and out of the side.

Felt for good chunks of January to late March, was like Manning was chopping and changing, desperately throwing a lot of mud and hoping some sticks. Releasing the ball swiftly would help- how about Sykes-Conway-Twine front 3 back then?

I don't know how much we can judge Conway under the Manning shapes.

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Don’t think they’ve played any yet.

New manager, new start. Just turned 23, It is a season he’ll definitely be wanting to play a lot of football, hopefully with Burnley. 

Ah right, thought somebody had posted earlier that Twine had got a hat trick in a friendly 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No, badly worded….we do the best for Bristol City in terms of getting as much money as we can as quickly as possible.  My view is we have gone about that wrong way.  The Approach has dragged something into the public domain that didn’t need to and weakened our position.

How would you go about that? If you haven’t said already in this thread.

8 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Your right. This exactly what this situation is. Both sides protecting their interests.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Felt for good chunks of January to late March, was like Manning was chopping and changing, desperately throwing a lot of mud and hoping some sticks. Releasing the ball swiftly would help- how about Sykes-Conway-Twine front 3 back then?

Jury’s out on manning mr P for sure. I’m yet to be convinced and I’m still gutted about nige leaving. I was a huge Pearson fan.

but it’s clear manning plays with one up top and it doesn’t suit Conway. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is very true, and I think could be used judged (unfairly or not) on whether TC could improve his all round adaptability to different formations with coaching or if he's best suited to or limited to certain system which the current regime don't seem keen to play. It's a shame that we are unlikely to find this out in BS3.

17 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

could be as simple as they have agreed it might be best if his remaining time was spent helping the youth progress to where he is in his career

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Ah right, thought somebody had posted earlier that Twine had got a hat trick in a friendly 

I don’t think that was a proper game more of a training session with everyone involved 

22 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Jury’s out on manning mr P for sure. I’m yet to be convinced and I’m still gutted about nige leaving. I was a huge Pearson fan.

For me it is a bit of an unknown really Milo. I'm a bit of a glass half empty atm, I just have slightly negative gut feeling about the short term direction of travel.

1 up front can be fine, Conway got 3 in 8 at the backend of 2022-23..all non Penalties, does he miss Scott providing if not the assist then the pass before the pass. Maybe this iteration of 1 up top is an issue too.

16 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

This is very true, and I think could be used judged (unfairly or not) on whether TC could improve his all round adaptability to different formations with coaching or if he's best suited to or limited to certain system which the current regime don't seem keen to play. It's a shame that we are unlikely to find this out in BS3.

Yes of course he can improve his all-round game, no issues there, all players can pretty much. I think by some metrics it has improved too.

It is a shame I concur- just this increasing feeling as a City fan that when when we are getting somewhere, we go back a notch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a feeling he’ll ultimately end up at a club below the level he thinks he should play at.

He’s a good player, and obviously great if he stayed - but he’s not in the same league as Scott or Semenyo.. or even Bryan/Reid imo. I think he’ll end up at a team who will be comfortably top 8 in this league but no better than that. If he’d scored a couple at the Euros then Celtic/Rangers might be a possibility but not now.

Quite pleasantly surprised to see Manning taking a tough line on this. We need players who want to be here - and i’d guess that this stance has resulted from some attitude issues we aren’t privy to. Different standard of player and different situation, but Pearson was far harsher on Marley Watkins.

Agree with you in that I am happy with the stance the club are taking here. Conway is being ill advised and I’m not remotely surprised to hear his agent is someone like Danny Coles. The bloke was an absolute nob back in the day 

We have to build the squad around players who want to be part of the 46 games next season. Conway is not Scott or Semenyo as you rightly say 

Ill call it now - he won’t make it any higher then the league he is in now 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

If true then it’s bad news for Tommy, as so do pretty much all of the teams at the top of the championship and in the Prem!