IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Maybe I missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned that... Isn't a season long loan the most likely outcome? 

That way, we get wages paid, maybe a small fee. Would we also still get our £300k at the end of the season?

The loaning club gets a year to assess Tommy.

Tommy gets a year to impress the loaning club.

We also get to focus on our new attackers, with Conway out of sight, out of mind.

??

• Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

If true then it’s bad news for Tommy, as so do pretty much all of the teams at the top of the championship and in the Prem! 

But the ones at the top of the championship and in the Prem will likely create more chances.

So that would give him more opportunity to convert chances

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Footballers are footballers - they’ll want the guys in the team that help them be most successful - whether that’s Tommy or not. I don’t think in view of the transient nature of most players stays at clubs they’ll actually care that much that someone is playing who is leaving at the end of the season and the freezing out actually does more harm.

(Avoidance of doubt - this is when there is something riding on a season - if you play somebody who is leaving when your season is dead it’s daft)

My view is that you don’t let it drag on and you do look to sell now. But my issue is, again, by doing it the way we have we’re likely to recieve less money than we would have had we just tried to sell “normally” - as, again, QPR seem to have with a certain forward who has told them he’s likely not renewing.

One will care very much and that's the guy sat on the bench watching TC take his place on the pitch.  I'd argue that what players care more about is their starting place in the team. 

• Like 1

Disappointed by the club. I don’t get why we’d not want our best players playing for as long as they are under contract nor why we would publicly devalue a key asset by declaring we are desperate to flog him.

Unless we genuinely have an imminent buyer lined up, this smacks of egos and idiocy rather than sense and pragmatism. As others have said, how does acting like petulant, spiteful arseholes help us to attract talent?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

One will care very much and that's the guy sat on the bench watching TC take his place on the pitch.  I'd argue that what players care more about is their starting place in the team. 

If that was the case he wouldn’t be selected just for the sake of it, that would be the managers choice.

what I would want is instead of the player on the bench not liking the fact Conway was picked ahead of them, I’d want them to buckle down and make the manager pick them instead of Conway 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Just read this in the BBC football gossip online.

Lille threatened not to play French defender Leny Yoro, 18, in the final year of his contract if he did not agree to sign for Manchester United. (Marca - in Spanish)

Obviously don’t know if that’s true but it further highlights the point that it’s a two way thing ! 
it’s not just about players who look out for their best interests as the clubs do it too

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

If true then it’s bad news for Tommy, as so do pretty much all of the teams at the top of the championship and in the Prem! 

Exactly!!!!! It’s so obvious he hasn’t got the physical attributes to lead the line on his own.

He’d be better off with the old firm. 

who was the guy Celtic signed from Scunthorpe back in the day. Hooper??? Conway is a similar type. Hooper scored plenty for Celtic but was never a world beater.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No, badly worded….we do the best for Bristol City in terms of getting as much money as we can as quickly as possible.  My view is we have gone about that wrong way.  The Approach has dragged something into the public domain that didn’t need to and weakened our position.

When we’ve got the likes of Jon Lansdown and Tinnion running the show, there’s very little chance of things being done professionally. 

I’m no fan of any of them , including Liam, However, whoever has made the decision to ostracise Tommy, and it could be SL, for all we know, I can’t say I’m overly bothered. I’m a big Conway fan, and would prefer him to be in the squad than not, but if he’s got his eyes on being out the building in the next few weeks/months, I’m not sure having him around the group is necessarily beneficial. 

I’ll say now though, without him I’ll go for a finish of somewhere between 12th and 16th, based on signings to date and my faith in the hierarchy. 

Apologies if I’ve missed anything, but currently sat in a bar in Zante and the WiFi is shite. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, glynriley said:

When we’ve got the likes of Jon Lansdown and Tinnion running the show, there’s very little chance of things being done professionally. 

I’m no fan of any of them , including Liam, However, whoever has made the decision to ostracise Tommy, and it could be SL, for all we know, I can’t say I’m overly bothered. I’m a big Conway fan, and would prefer him to be in the squad than not, but if he’s got his eyes on being out the building in the next few weeks/months, I’m not sure having him around the group is necessarily beneficial. 

I’ll say now though, without him I’ll go for a finish of somewhere between 12th and 16th, based on signings to date and my faith in the hierarchy. 

Apologies if I’ve missed anything, but currently sat in a bar in Zante and the WiFi is shite. 

No apologies needed and your dedication is to be admired.

If I was in a bar in Zante right now then I wouldn’t be on here 😂

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I don’t think that was a proper game more of a training session with everyone involved 

It was against Barnsley if that holds any relevance?

52 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I don’t think it’s anything to do with the number of strikers per se, it’s about the way Manning’s style of attack.

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

Maybe I missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned that... Isn't a season long loan the most likely outcome? 

That way, we get wages paid, maybe a small fee. Would we also still get our £300k at the end of the season?

The loaning club gets a year to assess Tommy.

Tommy gets a year to impress the loaning club.

We also get to focus on our new attackers, with Conway out of sight, out of mind.

??

It ought to be a option worth considering.

We shouldn’t assume it will be £300k (circa €400k)…that’s only if he goes to a non-English FA side.  If he went on loan here and did well, then other avenues open.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Disappointed by the club. I don’t get why we’d not want our best players playing for as long as they are under contract nor why we would publicly devalue a key asset by declaring we are desperate to flog him.

Unless we genuinely have an imminent buyer lined up, this smacks of egos and idiocy rather than sense and pragmatism. As others have said, how does acting like petulant, spiteful arseholes help us to attract talent?

Nobody's bigger than the club! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You haven’t read the numerous other threads then when you compare a player with another player and they say you are only saying that because they are both black,the Armstrong thread for starters 

Ok, but I'm not saying anything like that .

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Yeah. I'm amazed how many are defending Conway here. Someone said something about 'forced labor' by making him train with the U21s. Laughable, such a hard life eh.

He doesn't wanna be here, so **** him and there is nothing in his contract that says he can't be allowed to train with the U21's. 

15 goals from open play in 80 matches.

What I'm about to say is absolutely going to shock you to your core. 

None of our players actually want to be here. Each and every single one of them would jump ship if a bigger higher up club came in for them, that's football. 

There is also absolutely nothing in his contract that says he has to sign a new contract with us. 

Tommys record for his age is pretty damn good. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly because he’s happy to wait til next summer.

And this is where I feel we have messed up. 

It is Tommys right to see out his contract if he so wishes. James and King saw their contracts out and I can't remember there being any outrage that we didn't offer them a new contract yet according to those on here Tommy owes it to us to sign a new contract. 

It is absolutely bonkers that we've chosen to ostracise Tommy rather than making use of him. He could bag 15-20 goals for us next season for all we know. But we are just being petty about him not wanting to sign a new contract. 

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And this is where I feel we have messed up. 

It is Tommys right to see out his contract if he so wishes. James and King saw their contracts out and I can't remember there being any outrage that we didn't offer them a new contract yet according to those on here Tommy owes it to us to sign a new contract. 

It is absolutely bonkers that we've chosen to ostracise Tommy rather than making use of him. He could bag 15-20 goals for us next season for all we know. But we are just being petty about him not wanting to sign a new contract. 

Totally different circumstances. 

• Like 4

Should Tommy be banished to the u21s? Depends on the circumstances, including his attitude, etc. If he’s giving it the big one and clearly wants out, then it’s definitely the right call.

But will he be missed? Based on last season’s stats, then… not a lot.

10 goals, 5 of which were pens.

Out of the 5 non-pens, 3 were scored against (now) L1 teams.

I know he has potential and will get better, but the facts don’t tally with the opinion he and his agent have of him.

Note: Only 1 of his goals were scored against teams south of Yorkshire, so the further north the better for him, Scotland would be ideal.

Edited by Scrumpty
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, StefanDimz said:

Nobody's bigger than the club! 

I quite agree. That’s exactly why we need to maximise the value we get from players, both by utilising them on the pitch whilst they are under contract and trying to get as much as we can for them if they leave. Freezing out Conway does neither of these things and only serves to allow senior figures at the club to posture and look tough as they directly undermine our ability to get value out of our key assets.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Agree with you in that I am happy with the stance the club are taking here. Conway is being ill advised and I’m not remotely surprised to hear his agent is someone like Danny Coles. The bloke was an absolute nob back in the day 

We have to build the squad around players who want to be part of the 46 games next season. Conway is not Scott or Semenyo as you rightly say 

Ill call it now - he won’t make it any higher then the league he is in now 

I see Danny most mornings in the gym- he speaks very highly of you as well 😜

This situation is all about opinions……without the real facts, it’s hard to say what is right and wrong but from my perspective, if he’s made it clear that he won’t sign and doesn’t want to stay then I think it’s best for him not to be involved in the 1st team squad - I therefore think that that LM has taken the right course of action.

Whats most disappointing is when TC was saying things last season like “there’s no better feeling than scoring at Ashton Gate for my boyhood club….” and yet, he’s shown no desire to sign a new contract (according to rumours) and a contract which is “a very good contract” (according to the club)….

Lets hope he moves on quickly - the best outcome for all concerned now…..

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Just now, KegCity said:

We don't know what Tommy's attitude has been like, if he's said he no longer wants to play for the club (doing a Kodjia) or if he's totally innocent and the club are being petty.

TC has been poorly advised probably by his agent and/or his family.

The bottom line is that he’s not as sought after as he’s been told. 

• Like 2

What’s the difference between a professional footballer in his last year of his contract or a player on a season long loan ? 
We are still paying for his services for a year and it’s in the player’s interest to perform to enhance his future career. 

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How is it? People are demanding that Tommy shows loyalty to us, yet we didn't show loyalty to James or King. That's football. 

This is the point I’ve been making, if it suits the club then they will let a players contract run down with no intention of making any future offer, so why can’t a player do the same ?

it’s a business and as long as all parties meet their contractual obligations then that’s how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like very mixed views on if Manning is doing the right thing, I agree with him to a degree if Tommy does not want to sign a new deal then that is up to him but then he should not play if he is not Commited, that said making him train with the u21s seems a bit OTT, he can add something to the squad this season and if called upon as a professional should come on and give his all for a club that has given him the platform and believed in him, If it has pissed some of the players and staff off then I can only see it ending badly for Manning unless it gets sorted pretty quickly....I am sure it will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Should Tommy be banished to the u21s? Depends on the circumstances, including his attitude, etc. If he’s giving it the big one and clearly wants out, then it’s definitely the right call.

I know he has potential and will get better, but the facts don’t tally with the opinion he and his agent have of him.

Note: Only 1 of his goals were scored against teams south of Yorkshire, so the further north the better for him, Scotland would be ideal.

And if he’s not?  Which the Bristol Post makes no hint of?

You said depends on the circumstances…but only present one side of the circumstances? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do we actually know what expectations Tommy and his agent have?  Apart from every young players dream to play as high as possible.  Beyond that?

+++++

Did you forget the 2 he scored against PL opposition?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

FWIW I don’t have any problem with people thinking it’s the right thing to do…it’s the back-stories they create or the inconsistent use of the info we know in the public domain to justify that cracks me up.

And then I ask why weren’t they in uproar about other players in recent times.

• Like 2

Again all OTT reactions 

Tommy refused contract and no further negotiations 

Club have stated they want to sell him this window 

The club have no intention of him playing here next season 

He has not had any preseason with the team, so why bring him I  if he is leaving 

To those saying we have devalued him by showing our hand, it will be widely known and if not made very clear by his agent he is not staying at city and talks have broken down.

This sends the right messages to TC, he needs to find a new club and agree to terns otherwise he can play reserve team football 

Maybe if no clubs or offers that are agreeable to TC come in, then he will re-think his future and may still have a place here 

Whilst he was poor last season I like him and wanted him to stay, but no problem with what the clubs doing 

• Like 8
  • Facepalm 2

I’m sure we can ALL agree on this:

If his attitude has been good then this is a poor decision. If his attitude has been poor then it’s the right decision.

Surely, for once, OTIB can unite in the above statement!   I’d love to hear from anyone who disagrees 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW I don’t have any problem with people thinking it’s the right thing to do…it’s the back-stories they create or the inconsistent use of the info we know in the public domain to justify that cracks me up.

The same is being done by those who think it's harsh though. Nobody knows the details of what's happened, it might be harsh from the club or it might be totally justified.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One of the ironies to me is that there appears to be a lot of love for Famara on this forum, and that was a man who couldn’t be arsed half the time, and then when he was leaving totally downed tools. But that was OK because he had a catchy song.

Dealing totally in facts, we know Conway could have signed this deal a year ago and didn’t, so has left a significant amount of money on the table. We also know there is no hint that he has a bad attitude from both the EP report, and because if it was that bad we wouldn’t have played him last year when he wasn’t signing the deal.

There’s a lot of conflation here. It matters not a jot what people think of Tommy as a player - the market will have their own opinion. Those who are saying he should sign a contract with a release clause are naive in the extreme.

The club have moved the goalposts as Conways stance is no different to last season. Thats fine, it’s their lookout. But the relentless defending by some of a 180 on the clubs position simply because the player has the gall to back himself (and leave significant money on the table if it goes wrong) and not show loyalty to the club - to whom he is an asset to be sold and has fulfilled his obligations - is bizarre.

Bottom line. Nobody has an issue with the club selling him. Nobody has an issue with him not playing. The clubs stance changing markedly, when the players hasn’t, is odd. And despite what some may say, a desperation to sell has depressed his price.

And, considering that he was our most saleable asset and would represent pure profit for the nest egg, it’s not rocket science to work out who would have needed to be involved in the decision.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

The same is being done by those who think it's harsh though. Nobody knows the details of what's happened, it might be harsh from the club or it might be totally justified.

Yet the actual evidence presented so far shows that he is not doing anything bad other than not signing an ‘improved’ contract.   If it turned out that he was being a massive whopper then fair enough, bin him off.  But that isn’t what is coming out of the club…..

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

We just don’t have all the info. All I know is Manning is 100% in on this project, and the head coach of our club. Tommy is clearly not all in. So I back Manning.

• Like 2

Just now, lenred said:

Yet the actual evidence presented so far shows that he is not doing anything bad other than not signing an ‘improved’ contract.   If it turned out that he was being a massive whopper then fair enough, bin him off.  But that isn’t what is coming out of the club…..

I don't disagree with you, I'm just making the point that we don't know the details. People getting their knickers in a twist (whether violently against Tommy or thinking this is harsh treatment) seems pointless as the details aren't in the public domain.

Would the club come out saying he's downed tools before selling him? I doubt it. Equally this could be the club playing hardball and trying to discourage players with significant transfer value running down their contracts. This could all be avoided if we stopped giving 3 year deals to young players who are going to take 2 seasons to break through properly! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Indeed. The club haven’t said that there is anything wrong with his attitude or that there is any breakdown in his relationship with Liam. The Post article states that the decision has surprised both players and staff.

The clubs PR is shite no doubt, but you’d think if the player was causing an issue it wouldn’t be beyond their ability to at least indicate that!

• Like 2

Just now, BCFCGav said:

We just don’t have all the info. All I know is Manning is 100% in on this project*, and the head coach of our club. Tommy is clearly not all in. So I back Manning.

*Until a slightly bigger club come in for him 

As is the way of almost every football fan during the summer, I think we might be overthinking this one slightly.

Making him train with the u-21s does send a statement but it was always clear that Tommy would leave this summer if he didn't sign a new contract. It might be slightly harsh on Tommy and personally, I think it would have been better to have him available to use for as long as he's here, but a lot of managers like to work with smaller squads and it would be a bit distracting as another player if one of the main topics of conversation in training every day is "What's happening with Tommy?" so I do get the logic. 

It's a bit messy but I don't think the club could have done much more until this point, when they know for definite Tommy isn't signing.

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We just don’t have all the info. All I know is Manning is 100% in on this project, and the head coach of our club. Tommy is clearly not all in. So I back Manning.

Manning was 100% all in on his Oxford project after they rescued his career, a few months later he was off. Very fickle of him. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

100% in on this project until he gets what he perceives to be a better offer.

Very little loyalty in football anymore and that’s fair enough, for them it’s their job and for us it’s because we love the club.

the two emotions are very different one group thinks with their head and considers their future security and bank balance and the other group think with their hearts and their personal attachment to the club.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On both sides, as usual. Also lots of chat characterising Tinnion as the Fagan in this scenario, without any evidence.

The truth will be much more nuanced than the extremes touted on OTIB (shock!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Indeed. The club haven’t said that there is anything wrong with his attitude or that there is any breakdown in his relationship with Liam. The Post article states that the decision has surprised both players and staff.

The clubs PR is shite no doubt, but you’d think if the player was causing an issue it wouldn’t be beyond their ability to at least indicate that!

I think people have came to the conclusion that because he doesn't want to sign a new contract that means he has a bad attitude and he's burning £50 notes in the dressing room and he's putting salt in Mannings coffee and he refuses to train. 

There is however a alternative scenario where a player doesn't want to extend his contract but still acts extremely professional, Alex Scott for example. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

On both sides, as usual. Also lots of chat characterising Tinnion as the Fagan in this scenario, without any evidence.

Thats livin’ alright.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

The truth isn’t really in question. It’s that he isn’t signing a contract and we aren’t playing him. People have different opinions on the wisdom of that. 

• Like 2

I don’t think he should be banished to the u21s however he has made it clear that he see’s his future away from us we have to look to the future at some point.

I would totally understand the Club doing this by dropping Conway down the pecking order.

The formation we play also doesn’t suit Conway, it’s positive that the Club have seen this as well and are bringing in the players they feel are better equipped to play that system we are planning on playing. 

If Conway doesn’t see his future here then there is no point giving him game time. Priority now is to give our new front line as much time as possible to gel. 

• Like 1

Theoretically, if the club said to you that you are the main man, we build around you, pathway etc etc and verbally agreed to make you the top paid player at the club, and then offer you a much lower contract putting you in the middle of the pay scale that might annoy you. 

If, at the same time you see the style of play, recruitment etc start to eek away from what suits you, maybe that’s a perfect storm? 

purely hypothetical 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

*Until a slightly bigger club come in for him 

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning was 100% all in on his Oxford project after they rescued his career, a few months later he was off. Very fickle of him. 

20 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

100% in on this project until he gets what he perceives to be a better offer.

Very little loyalty in football anymore and that’s fair enough, for them it’s their job and for us it’s because we love the club.

the two emotions are very different one group thinks with their head and considers their future security and bank balance and the other group think with their hearts and their personal attachment to the club.

I see what you're all saying, and it's true football moves fast and things change. But as of today, between Manning and Conway, one has no intention to leave and one does. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

This club have had much better strikers than him down the years. Not sure why we're all in a bit of a tiz about it, maybe because he came from our academy, but he isn't all that and we've seen much better come and go over the years so unsure why we all have our nickers in a twist.

He doesn't want to sign a new deal, or even negotiate on it, so yeah see you later then, no one is bigger than the club which he certainly isn't.

Based on my own eyes - I don't think he will be a big miss for us.

41 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m sure we can ALL agree on this:

If his attitude has been good then this is a poor decision. If his attitude has been poor then it’s the right decision.

Surely, for once, OTIB can unite in the above statement!   I’d love to hear from anyone who disagrees 

Amen, brother Dave.  I can agree 💯 with this

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes, we don’t know who made the decision.  It’s a club decision, owned by those in the hierarchy.  Ultimately Liam has to deal with the consequences day-to-day.

15 minutes ago, Red Army 79 said:

I don’t think he should be banished to the u21s however he has made it clear that he see’s his future away from us we have to look to the future at some point.

I would totally understand the Club doing this by dropping Conway down the pecking order.

The formation we play also doesn’t suit Conway, it’s positive that the Club have seen this as well and are bringing in the players they feel are better equipped to play that system we are planning on playing. 

If Conway doesn’t see his future here then there is no point giving him game time. Priority now is to give our new front line as much time as possible to gel. 

Yes, me too.  And you can “flog” him in training to work against defenders whilst your primary strikers get a bit of rest for example.

It’s not the formation, it’s the general style of play driven by a lack of intensity both with and without the ball, leading to our attacks being against already well-structured defences.  We saw against Leicester that when we pressed high and harder we win ball in their final-30 and created chances.  Generally we have t done that under Manning.  Preseason will be interesting to se the approach baked in.

Agree on priority.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I see what you're all saying, and it's true football moves fast and things change. But as of today, between Manning and Conway, one has no intention to leave and one does. 

I’m not sure any of us can say 100% what Mannings intentions are.

I’d imagine we’d all agree that when LM took this job he would of seen it as a stepping stone in his progression.

I don’t think he wants Bristol City to be the pinnacle of his career.

That is ultimately what Conway is doing but they are at different stages in their City lives.

It could also be said that although it appears LMs future is more likely to be with City, it mustn’t be forgotten that Conway has given more time and effort to the club than LM has to date.

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This club have had much better strikers than him down the years. Not sure why we're all in a bit of a tiz about it, maybe because he came from our academy, but he isn't all that and we've seen much better come and go over the years so unsure why we all have our nickers in a twist.

He doesn't want to sign a new deal, or even negotiate on it, so yeah see you later then, no one is bigger than the club which he certainly isn't.

Perhaps it’s not all about how good people think he is and more about how people think someone should be treated whilst still being under the employment of the club.

• Like 1

I think people need to look at this from a different angle,

A couple of years ago, a lot of the fan base were alluding Nahki Wells didn't want to be here, wanted him gone, thought he was lazy etc. Pearson, came out and defended him, categorically stated he liked Nahki, outlined what he had brought to the young players at the club, and made it clear, that every time he had turned to him, he was ready. Yes, he had a period in the reserves, but he wanted to be here, was ready and willing when called upon, was helping the youngsters and was showing the right attitude. When he got his chance, he took it, he formed a great partnership with Conway, and he is now very much a squad player.

Now, we have Conway, who to some extent, has benefited from players like Nahki, who for the last 18 months has seen his mates leave to bigger destinations, undoubtedly on more money and has had a couple of offers on the table, to which he has had no intention of signing. Now, this could be down to a number of reasons, one being he wants more money, two, he thinks he could be playing at a higher level, or three, he feels it is time to move on, and we wont achieve what he wants at Bristol City.

It can't be said, that at a time Conway was out injured, or not playing great, the club have not stood by him, so for this stance by Manning, it would appear that, Conway's decision is not money related, as there would have been negotiations in place. It is likely, either Conway has made it very clear, he won't sign any contract, or he thinks he should be playing at a better level.

Either way, the club accept he is not part of the clubs future and have pretty much made it clear to any clubs out there, that he is very much available. In doing what they have done, they have made it a buyers market. No one, is going to consider 3-5m now for him, and it's gonna be a 1-2m job. You could say that the club have gone into damage limitation, rather than holding out for a big pay day.

I suspect that despite rumours of Rangers and Wolves, there have been no firm offers for Conway, and as such the interest actually isn't there. The club have tried to ignite interest but at present it is most definitely not forthcoming. Now, we will see one of two things. Either, there will be a few clubs come in and offer 1-2m plus sell ons, and he will go, or this will drag on until the end of August, there will be no one coming forward and Conway will have to rethink his options, as if no one comes in for him, then his own opinion of himself may need reflection. A spell in the reserves, and being made very much available could result in still no interest. At no point have the club said their offer is off the table, so this could be a tactic to make him sign a new deal, as the club does not expect there to be much concrete interest in Conway, as it's not come about before. This action, could also spell out a warning to potential suitors, that Conway could be a little disruptive and this may prove a bit of a wake up call for him.

I suspect, like a lot of young players, Conway has got caught up in his own hype, and it may prove the dose of reality he needs to refocus his game. The club have done very little wrong here. There is a player who does not want to commit his future to the club, has had no interest in signing any new deal and as of yet, the club has never really received any concrete offers for him. As a club, who allow players to progress and have never stood in the way of a player if decent offers come in, one could say Tommy is being poorly advised and the club are planning for a future without him, have supported him in his career to date, but have made the call that, if he doesn't want to be here, we wont stand in his way, but he wont be given anymore game time. At no point have the club said they don't want him here, and I'm sure they would be happy for him to sign a new deal. The club have probably just felt, this is the direction they need to go in, to either make him see reality or in fact move him on, before we get a couple of hundred k if we're lucky. 

Edited by robinforlife2

2 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Perhaps it’s not all about how good people think he is and more about how people should be treated whilst still being under the employment of the club.

Should be treated? Ffs they haven’t put him up for execution.

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The truth isn’t really in question. It’s that he isn’t signing a contract and we aren’t playing him. People have different opinions on the wisdom of that. 

I think Fevs was pointing out that the truth is very much in question when people are speculating that Conway has a bad attitude, Coles is giving bad advice, and I'd add the speculation about Tinnion and Manning to that. 

You've pointed out the bare bone facts, but read this thread and you'll see a whole lot of mythology being built around it.

4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Perhaps it’s not all about how good people think he is and more about how people think someone should be treated whilst still being under the employment of the club.

Really? It's hardly slave labour is it.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure I've seen this mentioned, but as Tommy is a very popular member of the squad, what impact does this have on the harmony of the squad? 

It’s been mentioned quite a few times but it is a very long thread so you may have missed it 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure I've seen this mentioned, but as Tommy is a very popular member of the squad, what impact does this have on the harmony of the squad? 

We literally have no idea, do we?

Ultimately, the performances and results are what really count. 

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Again you’re letting your opinion of Conway’s game form your agenda.

The club value him highly, and have put that high price out to one club who are interested.  I’m not gonna tell you the club or the amount…but even me who’s a big Conway advocate was shocked at how high a price tag they put on him.  I sort my tea out!

If they want that kind of figure, he won’t be leaving this window.  And that was before yesterday’s events worsened their bargaining power.  We are affective it saying that we are gonna let him run his contract down.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d imagine we’d all agree that when LM took this job he would have seen it as a stepping stone in his progression.

You don’t need to imagine, he said it as soon as he arrived!

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Should be treated? Ffs they haven’t put him up for execution.

So you’d be okay if your employer treated you differently to your other colleagues simply because you were planning to leave ?

Especially if you were still happy to still work to the best of your ability ?