IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

So you don't think he could do a job for a Southampton, Ipswich, Forest, Palace etc? 

Score them goals to keep them up? Not in the slightest. A relegated team from last season is the best he will do in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He isn’t available for £3m now, or else some would be taking that exact punt!

Do you know how much we want for him? I feel if someone offered £3m we’d be actively talking. 

How do you know they wont? 

The transfer window doesn't close 2moro. 

Because they would have signed him by now. If they wanted him why wait? Get him in now for pre season. Also he’s not good enough for the Prem. 

• Like 2

Just now, MythikRobins said:

Why on earth would we make him part of the squad? He hasn't been part of our plans since the very very start of the transfer window, since we were always planning to sign two number 9s.

They can get him for peanuts in January, because his contract is up in the summer. Since he's under-23 the only thing they'd have to worry about is the compensation fee and whether we'd let him move in January or wait.

In this case, since he's not part of our plans he'd probably leave in January.

That last point is so disingenuous come on man. 

Because he's an asset and he is capable of scoring goals etc. 

Tommy in my opinion with the right service etc could get 15-20 goals. It epuld be silly to not use him and to let him rot in the 21s for the sesson because that is a realistic possibility. 

No its not. We've thrown our toys out of the pram because he wouldn't sign a new contract and commit beyond next summer. No difference to making a loan signing. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Tommy seems to think he’s on the same level as Semenyo and Scott were. Both of those were our best players when they left, Conway *might* be in our top 7 best players

This is it for me.

He's not at a level where he can demand a move. I think he will get there - but its too early.

His performances hasnt warranted a prem move.

Couple more seasons of scoring 15 plus goals, then you have earned a move.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Selred said:

Do you know how much we want for him? I feel if someone offered £3m we’d be actively talking. 

Because they would have signed him by now. If they wanted him why wait? Get him in now for pre season. Also he’s not good enough for the Prem. 

I do know how much they quoted one club. £3m isn’t in the same stratosphere let alone ball-park. And imho (and it is my opinion only) they wouldn’t go from their valuation to £3m it’s too big a drop. That could change as the window goes on and it dawns on them the reality.  Sorry that last sentence sounded like Ian Gay!!!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Bournemouth didn't sign Scott until mid August last season after he got injured. Why did they wait? It will be a slow transfer market this summer until players return from their post Euros break. Conway may not be 1st choice for clubs, but like with some of our signings that we've made, he could be 3rd or 4th choice.

We don't know if he's good enough for the prem but what he has is a big tick next to his name for the goals he scored against West Ham. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

I do know how much they quoted one club. £3m isn’t in the same stratosphere let alone ball-park. And imho (and it is my opinion only) they wouldn’t go from their valuation to £3m it’s too big a drop. That could change as the window goes on and it dawns on them the reality.  Sorry that last sentence sounded like Ian Gay!!!

Wow. If we thought we could get £3m for him, I'd understand moving him to U21. If we wanted £5m+ then we consider him twice as good as any other striker in our squad, which makes the decision wild. 

• Like 4

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Because he's an asset and he is capable of scoring goals etc. 

Tommy in my opinion with the right service etc could get 15-20 goals. It epuld be silly to not use him and to let him rot in the 21s for the sesson because that is a realistic possibility. 

No its not. We've thrown our toys out of the pram because he wouldn't sign a new contract and commit beyond next summer. No difference to making a loan signing. 

I don't know how can you say its not. You can't sell a loan signing can you? Although, a Nigerian club has tried that before.

I mean we disagree on what Tommy could do, but discussing that would likely be pointless. 

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This is it for me.

He's not at a level where he can demand a move. I think he will get there - but its too early.

Where has he demanded a move? 

All he's done as far as I'm aware is inform the club he doesn't want to extend his contract. 

I'm not discounting the possibility he's said to the club well you may aswell sell me now. 

But just seems to be a lot of conjecture based on the fact he doesn't want to sign a new contract. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

This is it for me.

I tend to agree Riaz, but I think there’s an interim step, eg a champ side with PPs. Leeds could do a lot worse than get him. 

• Like 2

Bournemouth didn't sign Scott until mid August last season after he got injured. Why did they wait? It will be a slow transfer market this summer until players return from their post Euros break. Conway may not be 1st choice for clubs, but like with some of our signings that we've made, he could be 3rd or 4th choice.

We don't know if he's good enough for the prem but what he has is a big tick next to his name for the goals he scored against West Ham. 

Scott was also injured in pre-season. 

Scoring against West Ham doesn't mean much. He only got 10 goals in the Champ against much lesser competition. Freddie Hinds comes to mind.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well that’s not very nice for Nahki is it, having to play this season with nothing on offer.

Yes it is different, but the principle of the argument isn’t, even if it’s being a bit facetious, nobody is coming out to support Nahki are they?

We are all quite hypocritical aren’t we?

Well some people (on OTIB) were very vocal about Matty James not getting a new contract, and they're welcome to support Nahki in the same way.

32 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We're doing a very bad job at maximising the profit by making it public that we've demoted him. 

Clubs now know we are desperate to sell so that will impact what we can get for him. 

Possibly, but you're speculating here, and to me it is too simplistic to assume that we've gone from 'he's a coveted asset' to 'we're desperate to sell' in a heartbeat. 

Agents are busy bees, and Conway's name will have been out there for a good while.

By now, both the agent and the club should have a good idea of what interest there is in Tommy, and can make an educated guess regards the potential value.

If the club hasn't weighed these factors up, then yes, they're incompetent, but we can't jump to that assumption. 

Edited by mozo

57 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It is a fact tho. He's been told to train with the 21s because he refuses to sign a new contract.

Sorry I'm way behind on this one - could you refer me to where I can verify this is a fact?

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We're back to that integrity thing again. 

It's OK for Manning to jump ship from Oxford after they rescued his career. Its OK for Manning to consider us as a stepping stone. But as soon as a player has similar thoughts, nah you're training with the u21s.

Had Manning refused to sign a new contract, with still a full season left on his current contract and made it clear that he'd be leaving the club in 12 months time, do you think that Oxford would have left him in charge of 1st team management and affairs, no matter that he remained committed and had a good attitude  (and behaviours!)?

If TC wants to move for bigger and better, as he obviously does and we accept a bid from a club who offer TC terms he's happy with, then he goes. That's the same situation that applied when LM left Oxford, not the one we face with TC.

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Scott was also injured in pre-season. 

Scoring against West Ham doesn't mean much. He only got 10 goals in the Champ against much lesser competition. Freddie Hinds comes to mind.

Scott picked up his injury in the week before the season started. 

It's been discussed on here in great detail that Conways goal scoring record last season was impacted by the fact we created the square root of f all for him. He did well with what he had. The clubs have all this data available to them and how his stats compare to others of a similar age. 

• Like 1

It is a fact tho. He's been told to train with the 21s because he refuses to sign a new contract.

No its not, that's just your spin and what's lead up to this scenario, but as earlier said he could already be in the process of moving to another club, which COULD be the reason for not training with the 1st team or being allowed in the 1st team area of the HPC

• Haha 1

Just now, sh1t_ref_again said:

No its not, that's just your spin and what's lead up to this scenario, but as earlier said he could already be in the process of moving to another club, which COULD be the reason for not training with the 1st team or being allowed in the 1st team area of the HPC

Are you living in in seperate reality to the rest of us?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/tommy-conway-bristol-city-contract-9421002.amp

• Like 1

It's been discussed on here in great detail that Conways goal scoring record last season was impacted by the fact we created the square root of f all for him. He did well with what he had. The clubs have all this data available to them and how his stats compare to others of a similar age. 

Conway isn't ready to step up yet. As mentioned, he has 9 and 10 goals so far in the Championship, and didn't feature a minute for Scotland in the Euros.

On a free / tribunal these clubs may take a punt, like HNM, but otherwise I agree with Fevs, he's probably better off at someone like Leeds.

Wells is going to be out of contract next summer and the likelihood is that we won't retain him. He's still part of the squad tho. 

Why do you think that might be?

Especially when player isn’t kicking off. 

Seems safe to assume that Tommy himself has been a good lad, but what we don't know (I think Cov77 made this point) is what has been the tone from the agent, who is Tommy's mouthpiece? Either side could have been am arse about this and we just won't know. But is the fact that both Manning and Tinnion mentioned how Tommy needs good advice, suggest that there was conflict of some kind? Who knows?

Conway isn't ready to step up yet. As mentioned, he has 9 and 10 goals so far in the Championship, and didn't feature a minute for Scotland in the Euros.

On a free / tribunal these clubs may take a punt, like HNM, but otherwise I agree with Fevs, he's probably better off at someone like Leeds.

And a Leeds, a Sheffield Utd etc is still a step up from us and a step up in wages too. 

There could be a case where a club like Brentford sign him and then send him out on loan. 

We just don't know. 

Tommy obviously believes in himself. He's not just sat there in a room waiting for us to accept a bid. Him and his agent will be fully aware of the interest in him. Just because its not public, doesn't mean its not there. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Where has he demanded a move? 

All he's done as far as I'm aware is inform the club he doesn't want to extend his contract. 

I'm not discounting the possibility he's said to the club well you may aswell sell me now. 

But just seems to be a lot of conjecture based on the fact he doesn't want to sign a new contract. 

I'll rephrase - trying engineer a move...

Point remains  - he clearly thinks he's ready for a higher level. I dont think he is.... yet.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I tend to agree Riaz, but I think there’s an interim step, eg a champ side with PPs. Leeds could do a lot worse than get him. 

Would leeds want him?? not sure they would.

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

Wow. If we thought we could get £3m for him, I'd understand moving him to U21. If we wanted £5m+ then we consider him twice as good as any other striker in our squad, which makes the decision wild. 

Indeed.

Mid-table championship side believe they have a player worth north of £5m but refuse to involve him in the squad while he’s contracted to them, even though he’s causing no trouble and the addition of him (if the club believe that valuation, not in my or anyone else’s opinion) increases the clubs chances of success.

Doesn’t sound sensible or even plausible does it?

And as for the head coach, just think on this. If Liam lasts (for good or bad) until the end of 24/25, he’d be in the top six longest serving managers in the league. So, the odds are that he wouldn’t be here next season (this isn’t a comment on him, it’s just basic maths).

So, if the head coach had a striker by price tag twice as good as any other options, and he knew that his average time in the job meant he wouldn’t have to worry about contract fallout at the end, why would he freeze him out, particularly as they have a good relationship?

People need to work out where this decision has been made from.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He is very close to realising his potential. We have nurtured him up to the point where it looks like this best years are going to be for the benefit of another club and we will get peanuts for our investment. That sticks in the throat. 
He has shown enough to be considered a full international for the Jocks and has had two solid Championship seasons despite being marred by injuries and a change of management. 
He is a good young player who IMHO is going to have a top career. 
Of course no one is bigger than the club though try telling that to the Lansdowns and their cronies. 

So when you have offered him a contract, and I remember Nige saying it would make him 1 of the highest players at the club, what exactly do you do? we have continued trying to get him to renew as must have held hope he would sign, where we have now got to a point with a year left on his contract and accepted that he is not going to sign so we need to sell now rather than get maybe just compensation in a year.

I know a lot like to bash the club, Lansdowns BT LM the dinner lady and anything else possible, but sorry I don't see what the club could have done except sell him last summer or winter assuming their was any interest. Being sent to train with the u21s I think means he will be leaving very soon and if he does not then their is nothing stopping LM if he sees fit bringing him back to the 1st team once the season starts

None of us know the reasons for TC leaving and whilst I am disappointed at his choice, he is entitled to so.

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Didn't Scott have two years on his deal, so we hoped to keep him, rather than needing/wanting to sell him because he only had one year left?

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This time last year Coventry sold Gyokeres for 25 million with him having only 12 months left on his contract.

Now of course he was further ahead in his development than Conway is. But if you do it right then that shows you can still get quite a hefty fee for a player whose contract is expiring. 

Gyokeres Was highly coveted and a real top player . Conway is nowhere near that level and never will be IMO.

i think that’s what is irking a lot of people. His choice but I think he overestimates his stock. 

• Like 1

Just now, KegCity said:

Didn't Scott have two years on his deal, so we hoped to keep him, rather than needing/wanting to sell him because he only had one year left?

Yes, 2 years reduced the pressure somewhat.

When it gets into that final 12 months big issues start to kick in.

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

as in it says this in the article you quoted, 

as the Robins and his representatives seek an appropriate exit route out of BS3.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, 2 years reduced the pressure somewhat.

When it gets into that final 12 months big issues start to kick in.

Yep so a different situation again. There's a lot of "gotcha" comparisons being made that are actually completely different scenarios.

• Like 4

Just now, milo1111 said:

Gyokeres Was highly coveted and a real top player . Conway is nowhere near that level and never will be IMO.

i think that’s what is irking a lot of people. His choice but I think he overestimates his stock. 

The age and experience angle can't be dismissed though. They are perhaps different types of player too.

Gykores when he really begun to shine, to stand out was 24 in 2022. 25 the year before his big move.

Conway compares very favourably to a host of players at his age, he turns 22 in August.

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Point remains  - he clearly thinks he's ready for a higher level. I dont think he is.... yet.

All we know is what Manning said. Everything else is just speculation and conjecture. There is a lot of 2+2 =5 going on. 

We don't know if Tommy has expressed an immediate desire to leave or if that desire to leave is at the end of the season.

It woups surprise me if Tommy made it known that he wants to leave immediately because that would be him forfeiting bonuses etc. With only 12 months left on his contract and him not signing a new one he knows the club will want to sell now so therefore no need to express a desire to leave now. 

“Tommy has had a contract offer on the table, which is an excellent offer," Manning said. "This has been turned down, and not negotiated with the player expressing a desire to leave.

32 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I guess what is happening is that City realise Conway wants out and one reason for dropping him to u 21s is to attract bids sooner rather than later, in addition it is pointless having him with first team squad as tactics are worked on for new season in which he won’t play a part.

Club’s attitude seems ok to me and is one other clubs also follow, eg Cardiff

The really interesting point is there has been no firm bids - suspect sort of transfer fees talked up by City don’t match others’ assessment of the player 

It will be sorted, I am sure, before transfer period ends

But how will this attract bids?

The only way I can see it attracting bids is that other clubs will think "Ah, Conway has fallen out with Bristol City so maybe he'll be available for less than we thought!".

But that's not really a success for us, is it?

If that's what we wanted then we should have just lowered our asking price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

However at the age that Conway is now, Gyokeres was not highly coveted nor a top player hence why he ended up at Coventry. 

Conway is better than Gyokeres was at the same age. Factual. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

All we know is what Manning said. Everything else is just speculation and conjecture. There is a lot of 2+2 =5 going on. 

We don't know if Tommy has expressed an immediate desire to leave or if that desire to leave is at the end of the season.

It woups surprise me if Tommy made it known that he wants to leave immediately because that would be him forfeiting bonuses etc. With only 12 months left on his contract and him not signing a new one he knows the club will want to sell now so therefore no need to express a desire to leave now. 

“Tommy has had a contract offer on the table, which is an excellent offer," Manning said. "This has been turned down, and not negotiated with the player expressing a desire to leave.

He's not signed a new contract - that says it all for me.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

But tbf it shouldn’t irk people. If we acknowledge he wants to go, that’s fine - this isn’t a cult and I believe SL said himself we shouldn’t get attached to players.

It matters not a bit, once more, how good or otherwise we think he is. The game now is to get best value. But - and it’s a big but - it’s suggested the clubs valuation makes TC miles better than any other asset we have. That in itself makes the way we’ve done things a trifle bizarre.

• Like 1

I assume it's been discussed that Tommy may just have his heart set on Celtic/Rangers and have a gentlemans agreement to join next summer for the £300k tribunal fee?

Any bids that come in until then that we accept he just rejects and wastes a year of his career in the under 21s? 

7 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

as in it says this in the article you quoted, 

as the Robins and his representatives seek an appropriate exit route out of BS3.

I have no idea what you're going on about now. 

You claimed it wasn't a fact that he has been told to train with the 21s cos of his refusal to sign a contract, I provided evidence that it is a fact. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, !james said:

I assume it's been discussed that Tommy may just have his heart set on Celtic/Rangers and have a gentlemans agreement to join next summer for the £300k tribunal fee?

Any bids that come in until then that we accept he just rejects and wastes a year of his career in the under 21s? 

Or is loaned to Rangers/ Celtic for the season.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

But how will this attract bids?

The only way I can see it attracting bids is that other clubs will think "Ah, Conway has fallen out with Bristol City so maybe he'll be available for less than we thought!".

But that's not really a success for us, is it?

You can only judge the success if you know what would have come to pass if they had not exiled him.

A club might have rocked up and offered £5m...

...or not. 

We might end up making the same profit either way.

If only I had access to the multiverse to really know for sure...

1 minute ago, !james said:

Which gives him an incentive to either sign a new deal (won't happen) or take whatever he's offered from other clubs as he won't waste a year in our u21s and kill his career.

However at the age that Conway is now, Gyokeres was not highly coveted nor a top player hence why he ended up at Coventry. 

Conway is better than Gyokeres was at the same age. Factual. 

You're basing that purely on goals scored in the Championship. Rather than attributes, potential.

Just as an aside, many years ago I was good mates with someone who was muckers with Danny Coles.

At the time of Wilson being sacked and Tinnion being appointed, he filled me in on Coles’s initial reaction to Tinnion being given the job. Coles allegedly was not best pleased, with the reaction being “**** sake”.

I put this on here as context - this isn’t suggesting Coles is a saint or a wrongun, or who is in the right. But there was allegedly a bit of dislike between the two and I can’t see that having made the Conway “negotiation” or otherwise any easier if that remains.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

You're basing that purely on goals scored in the Championship. Rather than attributes, potential.

Isn't that what others are doing that with Tommy? 

He's not that good cos only scored x amount of goals etc is the common theme on here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

Not just potential but they do stack up similarly in both Goals and Assists at a similar age albeit Gykores seems a better-rounded player.

I am including his St Pauli Bundesliga 2 loan as well.

• Like 1

Isn't that what others are doing that with Tommy? 

He's not that good cos only scored x amount of goals etc is the common theme on here. 

No. I don't think Tommy is fast enough, strong enough or tall enough. I don't think he has a great first touch, or the sort of hold up play to bring others in. I do think he's a very good finisher though.

Sinclair in my opinion, although only scored 3 goals, has the pace and power to cause teams more issues than Conway did. 

• Like 1

I have no idea what you're going on about now. 

You claimed it wasn't a fact that he has been told to train with the 21s cos of his refusal to sign a contract, I provided evidence that it is a fact. 

No, you claimed it was a FACT that it down to not signing a contract, I merely gave an alternative reason and pointed out it COULD be down to the fact he will be leaving and COULD already be in talks with other clubs, as per the article you cant have fully read as it states the club are looking to make his exit

He played all of last year without signing a new contract, which suggest something has changed, i.e, he will be leaving

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Or is loaned to Rangers/ Celtic for the season.

True, didn't think of that. 

I guess it softens the blow if they agree to pay his wages for the season but we're ultimately missing out on a few million transfer fee.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

No. I don't think Tommy is fast enough, strong enough or tall enough. I don't think he has a great first touch, or the sort of hold up play to bring others in. I do think he's a very good finisher though.

Sinclair in my opinion, although only scored 3 goals, has the pace and power to cause teams more issues than Conway did. 

What about Armstrong using his pace  and power to cause teams trouble and Conway playing off him to convert the chances that created. 
Do you think that might work ? 
Unlikely we’d ever get to see it but could have been interesting 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Tommy not fast enough? 🤣🤣🤣

Did you not see his first touch for the goal vs West Ham? 

He's good with his head despite his height. 

Different players have different attributes, shock horror. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Yep so a different situation again. There's a lot of "gotcha" comparisons being made that are actually completely different scenarios.

Yeah, so take “how good is Tommy” noise out of the debate.

Do you think banishing him to the u21s is a good approach to maximising his transfer value in this window.

Thats the true question for me. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I agree that he's not ready to be starting games at a higher level, but it depends what Conway is hoping for.

I could see a top end Championship or bottom end Premier League team (e.g. Leeds, Burnley) looking at him and thinking - "21 years old, good record in the Championship, currently available at a discount - why not bring him in as 2nd or 3rd choice and develop him".

Perhaps Conway would be perfectly happy with that.

Alternatively, perhaps he would view a 'sideways' move as positive. It pains me to say it, but you could understand it if Conway looked at other top half Championship teams and thought - "At the moment it's a sideways move, but I have far more faith in Team X to push on and get promoted than I do in Bristol City"

• Like 2

So you don't think he could do a job for a Southampton, Ipswich, Forest, Palace etc? 

He'd do a good job in their reserves

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tommy not fast enough? 🤣🤣🤣

Did you not see his first touch for the goal vs West Ham? 

He's good with his head despite his height. 

Different players have different attributes, shock horror. 

Overall I don’t think he is fast enough, I’ve watched many games to decide this.

Like I said, I don’t think he has the all round attributes to be a top top player. Good finisher though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think banishing him to the u21s is a good approach to maximising his transfer value in this window.

No I don't. I also don't think it's a good idea to have a player who clearly has no interest in being at the club and wants to leave hanging about with the first team. I take the point that he's another body to use in training drills but that's not enough for me.

I get the opposing view, it's just nice to see the club play hardball for once and take less shit.

• Like 6

Surely it depends…..there are permutations where it might get us better value, and there are permutations where it might cost us. But it’s all hypothetical because none of us actually know!!! 

• Like 1

Overall I don’t think he is fast enough, I’ve watched many games to decide this.

Like I said, I don’t think he has the all round attributes to be a top top player. Good finisher though. 

In my opinion put him in a team like Coventry who play attacking football and he scores 15-20 goals easily. 

• Like 2

In my opinion put him in a team like Coventry who play attacking football and he scores 15-20 goals easily. 

Yes, in the Championship. Not the Prem clubs you quoted. 

18 hours ago, Jacki said:

As a fan, I hate the fact that we have a player who's been here for 15 years who doesn't want to play for us, and a large part of me thinks 'bollocks to him'.

That's exactly how I feel, with no 'buts'.

I haven't read all of this long thread but many posters seem determined to justify Conway's actions while at the same time piling criticism on the club. The reality is he's showing nil gratitude for all those years of nurturing, encouragement and opportunity and has decided to reject the club and the fans and leave the first chance he gets.

Of course he can do that, he's perfectly entitled to do that etc, but it's a choice and he wouldn't do it if he had a modicum of feeling for the club or the fans.

He could have signed his very much improved contract with a release clause and - if he continues to prove himself good enough - left with everybody's good wishes and all parties satisfied.

As it is I'm finding it increasingly difficult to maintain any interest in where he goes from here and how he gets on in the future, and certainly don't have any sympathy for the position he's put himself in. He'll be leaving under a cloud with many fans now just wishing to see an end to this saga, and the back of the player, asap.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Selred said:

Yes, in the Championship. Not the Prem clubs you quoted. 

The point im making is people have said "if he was getting 15-20 goals in the Championship then he'd be worthy of a prem move" 

My thoughts are that he has those attributes already and that hes not reached those figures because of how we play. 

There are things he needs to improve but he is certainly ready to sit on the bench at the clubs I've mentioned in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's exactly how I feel, with no 'buts'.

I haven't read all of this long thread but many posters seem determined to justify Conway's actions while at the same time piling criticism on the club. The reality is he's showing nil gratitude for all those years of nurturing, encouragement and opportunity and has decided to reject the club and the fans and leave the first chance he gets.

Of course he can do that, he's perfectly entitled to do that etc, but it's a choice and he wouldn't do it if he had a modicum of feeling for the club or the fans.

He could have signed his very much improved contract with a release clause and - if he continues to prove himself good enough - left with everybody's good wishes and all parties satisfied.

As it is I'm finding it increasingly difficult to maintain any interest in where he goes from here and how he gets on in the future, and certainly don't have any sympathy for the position he's put himself in. He'll be leaving under a cloud with many fans now just wishing to see an end to this saga, and the back of the player, asap.

If you had spent 15 years with a company but a more prestigious company came in and offered you 10k a week more, with a better working environment and more exposure and more opportunities to progress yourself, would you stay with your current company? 

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just as an aside, many years ago I was good mates with someone who was muckers with Danny Coles.

At the time of Wilson being sacked and Tinnion being appointed, he filled me in on Coles’s initial reaction to Tinnion being given the job. Coles allegedly was not best pleased, with the reaction being “**** sake”.

I put this on here as context - this isn’t suggesting Coles is a saint or a wrongun, or who is in the right. But there was allegedly a bit of dislike between the two and I can’t see that having made the Conway “negotiation” or otherwise any easier if that remains.

Not if that’s it’s all that relevant . Negotiations rarely involve people on friendly terms and if Cole’s didn’t like Tinnion, that was a long time ago. He should just be focussed on getting what’s best for his client. 

The bigger issue is probably the competence of our execs - for years , (even under Ashton) we have got good prices for our players- no such proven skills with our current lot.,which undoubtedly is adding to the mess here. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure it will make any difference to his value - any interested party will know he is not interested in a contract with us, (agent will make sure of that), and will be obvious its a distress sell as next year he goes for nothing bar compensation and not many clubs are prepared to do that and effectively lose all value. If TC is seen as real potential as many on here suggest then a number of teams will be chancing him as will be seen as a 1 year contract bargain, and this will determine price

It could also work for us, if TC has a moved offered but the terms are not quite as high as he would like, it may discourage him from thinking he can just play out the year here go for nothing and be in a stronger position with regards to terms, as the thought of a year of U21s football to someone with ambition should be seen as disastrous.

If no one comes in or a deal cannot be agreed, it may also make him reconsider if a contract here is his best option.

• Like 1

If you had spent 15 years with a company but a more prestigious company came in and offered you 10k a week more, with a better working environment and more exposure and more opportunities to progress yourself, would you stay with your current company? 

Has a more prestigious company come in and offered him £10K per week more etc. etc.? This is the interesting thing and the wording by Piercy along the lines of the club are doing everything they can to move him on suggests we aren't asking clubs to form an orderly queue around the block. Like everybody I hope the kid gets his move and buggers off now, notwithstanding views on how he has been treated.

However, if nobody offers anything of note, given that all the clubs you speak of will know he's available that might speak volumes in terms of how is he is viewed right now? If (big if admittedly) the likes of Rangers and Celtic are prepared to wait 12 months that doesn't give me the impression they see him as a "here and now" player worth paying a few extra shillings on.

If we had allowed Alex Scott to get in Tommy's position there would have been 15 clubs sniffing around to try and get a bargain. Let's just hope it's resolved sooner rather than later because the only way TC plays for us again is if other clubs don't rate him as highly as many of our fans do.

• Like 5

Not really relevant imo. How many companies nurture a child from the age of 7?

Actually, in Conway's position, I would absolutely feel some gratitude and responsibility to all those who'd made my progress and success possible by not only aimiing to progress myself professionally and financially at the right time, but get best deal possible deal for the the club too.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1