IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He could have signed his very much improved contract with a release clause and - if he continues to prove himself good enough - left with everybody's good wishes and all parties satisfied.

This bit, again, is naive mate. As I said what feels like 17 pages ago, it isn’t going to be a Matty Taylor £300k release clause. The club themselves seem to value him at more than what I think we all think he’s worth, so they’re not going to put in a release clause of say £4m. Conways not going to accept a release clause that limits his marketability to clubs, so he’s never going to accept one in line with the clubs value (for arguments sake let’s say it’s £8m)

There was no way a contract was being signed with a release clause. That only happens in a circumstance like this where, a la Taylor, the club are desparate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Scott was also injured in pre-season. 

Scoring against West Ham doesn't mean much. He only got 10 goals in the Champ against much lesser competition. Freddie Hinds comes to mind.

You are kind of ignoring the fact that he has had injuries in the last two seasons which a) kept him out of action and b) when he came back he needed to adapt and get up to match sharpness.

The lad is not the finished article but he has the ability to stick the ball in the net. I firmly believe that if you can do a thing once , you can do it again. 
He has that star quality and it just needs the right team to maximise his abilities.

However you downplay it , scoring twice against a premier league team shows that he can beat defenders and keepers at the top level. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

You are kind of ignoring the fact that he has had injuries in the last two seasons which a) kept him out of action and b) when he came back he needed to adapt and get up to match sharpness.

The lad is not the finished article but he has the ability to stick the ball in the net. I firmly believe that if you can do a thing once , you can do it again. 
He has that star quality and it just needs the right team to maximise his abilities.

However you downplay it , scoring twice against a premier league team shows that he can beat defenders and keepers at the top level. 

Come on Major.   You’re ignoring the narrative here! He won’t sign and so he’s shit now.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

One of the ironies to me is that there appears to be a lot of love for Famara on this forum, and that was a man who couldn’t be arsed half the time, and then when he was leaving totally downed tools. But that was OK because he had a catchy song.

Dealing totally in facts, we know Conway could have signed this deal a year ago and didn’t, so has left a significant amount of money on the table. We also know there is no hint that he has a bad attitude from both the EP report, and because if it was that bad we wouldn’t have played him last year when he wasn’t signing the deal.

There’s a lot of conflation here. It matters not a jot what people think of Tommy as a player - the market will have their own opinion. Those who are saying he should sign a contract with a release clause are naive in the extreme.

The club have moved the goalposts as Conways stance is no different to last season. Thats fine, it’s their lookout. But the relentless defending by some of a 180 on the clubs position simply because the player has the gall to back himself (and leave significant money on the table if it goes wrong) and not show loyalty to the club - to whom he is an asset to be sold and has fulfilled his obligations - is bizarre.

Bottom line. Nobody has an issue with the club selling him. Nobody has an issue with him not playing. The clubs stance changing markedly, when the players hasn’t, is odd. And despite what some may say, a desperation to sell has depressed his price.

And, considering that he was our most saleable asset and would represent pure profit for the nest egg, it’s not rocket science to work out who would have needed to be involved in the decision.

Agree with this 100%. I don't get the Dhiedhiou love in either. He basically downed tools, ran his contract down and we lost £5.3M plus contract for the privilege. It is precisely because of that scenario that the club are having to take this stance.

I have no problem with TC & if he ends up at Celtic or Rangers then good luck to him, but people have to take into account that not everything is at it seems, journalists have to sell headlines, agents are looking for the next deal, the club has to move on whether with him or without him and TC himself has to understand that his own expectations may not necessarily align with his agent's. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Come on Major.   You’re ignoring the narrative here! He won’t sign and so he’s shit now.   

Thats the bit that gets me. I’m happy to state Tommy isn’t the finished article - but for balance I also think the comparison to Gyokeres is nonsense. However, he is far from shit and a lot of people are saying he is just because of the decision. Lots of people sounding like spurned boyfriends here.

But, again, none of that matters. As myself and @Davefevs keep saying, the only question is having made the decision to sell him, have we made the right moves to get maximum value?

And again, I’ll quote a wise man from Guernsey “Don’t get too attached to players”. They’re commodities to the club, so nobody should be getting stressed when they make decisions as such.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Swede said:

Agree with this 100%. I don't get the Dhiedhiou love in either. He basically downed tools, ran his contract down and we lost £5.3M plus contract for the privilege. It is precisely because of that scenario that the club are having to take this stance.

I have no problem with TC & if he ends up at Celtic or Rangers then good luck to him, but people have to take into account that not everything is at it seems, journalists have to sell headlines, agents are looking for the next deal, the club has to move on whether with him or without him and TC himself has to understand that his own expectations may not necessarily align with his agent's. 

Diedhiou was interesting, we can break his final season down into 3 parts.

1) He was shocking until early to mid November, may have been out with Covid too

2) Mid November to mid to late January suddenly his output or record rose drastically.

3) Mid to late January to the end, nothing..

..Save for one outstanding game at Middlesbrough

A) NP watching brief

B) Club who were linked with him in January 2021.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Jesus have people really been going in circles over this for 3 days straight?

It really is very simple, Conway as a professional is not indebted to BCFC in anyway, there is no requirement for him to sign a new contract. 

He, or more likely his agent, believes he can get a lucrative move further up the pyramid this summer and have therefore not signed a new deal. Whether we as fans agree with that (Personally I do to a degree) is besides the point at this stage. 

Making him train with the u21s is similarly within the club’s prerogative, as it’s preseason LM will want to asses the squad of players he’s definitely going to be taking into next seasons level and how he can use them. So there isn’t much point for TC to be included, tad harsh but that’s football. 

The only thing that seems over the top is removing him from the first team dressing room, everyone knows why’s he’s with the u21s and it hasn’t been reported anywhere that Conway has a lacking attitude so what’s the point in removing him from the dressing room? 

That move only seems to have negative impacts on the player and the club. 

• Like 6

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Diedhiou was interesting, we can break his final season down into 3 parts.

1) He was shocking until early to mid November, may have been out with Covid too

2) Mid November to mid to late January suddenly his output or record rose drastically.

3) Mid to late January to the end, nothing..

..Save for one outstanding game at Middlesbrough

A) NP watching brief

B) Club who were linked with him in January 2021.

which included colin's Boro if you believe the papers. I would guess {& only a guess] that his agent promised him the earth and he ended up having to go to Turkey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swede said:

which included colin's Boro if you believe the papers. I would guess {& only a guess] that his agent promised him the earth and he ended up having to go to Turkey.

Exactly my point. He played if we believed the papers and the interest a great game in front of Colin and Middlesbrough plus NP.

However the other notable statistical takeaway is that from say mid November to mid to late January..what is important there, the Transfer window.

Nor the first time his form/output has fluctuated around these periods either, check 2018-19.

All of these paints him in a bad light.

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just as an aside, many years ago I was good mates with someone who was muckers with Danny Coles.

At the time of Wilson being sacked and Tinnion being appointed, he filled me in on Coles’s initial reaction to Tinnion being given the job. Coles allegedly was not best pleased, with the reaction being “**** sake”.

I put this on here as context - this isn’t suggesting Coles is a saint or a wrongun, or who is in the right. But there was allegedly a bit of dislike between the two and I can’t see that having made the Conway “negotiation” or otherwise any easier if that remains.

Similarly I have a mate who is a longstanding mate of Tinnions, going back at least 25 years.

He wasn't the only pisshead player with that reaction.

Saying there is a dislike between BT and Coles may be an understatement due to past events and I tend to agree that it would make any negotiations more difficult than it should be - thats just my own opinion FWIW.

• Like 1

Exactly my point. He played if we believed the papers and the interest a great game in front of Colin and Middlesbrough plus NP.

However the other notable statistical takeaway is that from say mid November to mid to late January..what is important there, the Transfer window.

Nor the first time his form/output has fluctuated around these periods either, check 2018-19.

All of these paints him in a bad light.

Yes; And before any anybody with Turkish heritage replies, Turkey is a lovely place, I have it every Christmas.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's exactly how I feel, with no 'buts'.

I haven't read all of this long thread but many posters seem determined to justify Conway's actions while at the same time piling criticism on the club. The reality is he's showing nil gratitude for all those years of nurturing, encouragement and opportunity and has decided to reject the club and the fans and leave the first chance he gets.

Of course he can do that, he's perfectly entitled to do that etc, but it's a choice and he wouldn't do it if he had a modicum of feeling for the club or the fans.

He could have signed his very much improved contract with a release clause and - if he continues to prove himself good enough - left with everybody's good wishes and all parties satisfied.

As it is I'm finding it increasingly difficult to maintain any interest in where he goes from here and how he gets on in the future, and certainly don't have any sympathy for the position he's put himself in. He'll be leaving under a cloud with many fans now just wishing to see an end to this saga, and the back of the player, asap.

totally agree & a total lack of loyalty to club & fans. I dont believe he had any intention of signing a new contract.  V disappointing attitude.. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s worse than we thought - he’s been busted down to train with the U10s!

IMG_3430.jpeg

Maybe he’s not the bad egg that some describe him as if he’s willing to do things like this.

Maybe it’s classed as part of his contract but nevertheless if he was of a mind to I’m sure he could say no to doing it 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s worse than we thought - he’s been busted down to train with the U10s!

IMG_3430.jpeg

It says 'autograph signing' but we all know he doesn't put pen to paper... :whistle:

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Jesus have people really been going in circles over this for 3 days straight?

It really is very simple, Conway as a professional is not indebted to BCFC in anyway, there is no requirement for him to sign a new contract. 

He, or more likely his agent, believes he can get a lucrative move further up the pyramid this summer and have therefore not signed a new deal. Whether we as fans agree with that (Personally I do to a degree) is besides the point at this stage. 

Making him train with the u21s is similarly within the club’s prerogative, as it’s preseason LM will want to asses the squad of players he’s definitely going to be taking into next seasons level and how he can use them. So there isn’t much point for TC to be included, tad harsh but that’s football. 

The only thing that seems over the top is removing him from the first team dressing room, everyone knows why’s he’s with the u21s and it hasn’t been reported anywhere that Conway has a lacking attitude so what’s the point in removing him from the dressing room? 

That move only seems to have negative impacts on the player and the club. 

I would be a bit wary of taking that bit so literally, I think Bristol Live have set the agenda on this by reporting the issue with inflammatory language, "forced" to train with U21's like he is there under armed guard, "banned" from the dressing room as if there are gatekeepers to pass. Quite why they have taken that stance I don't know, but it makes it sound like a bit more intriguing and attracts more clicks I suppose.

If you think about it logically, there's no reason for him to be in first team dressing room, his team mates at the moment are the U21's and he has said himself that he likes to mix with them and encourage them, so what better place to do it than in the right dressing room.

It doesn't mean he can't mix with his first team mates, it's still a mixed canteen and gym etc, and I am sure that his movements are not going to be monitored to that extent. Anyway, he's the Union Rep, so they can't stop him acting in that capacity. 

If Manning says he doesn't see the value of putting any more work into him then that's his decision, I doubt it makes much difference to Tommy as he's made it quite clear he doesn't see his future here.

13 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Maybe he’s not the bad egg that some describe him as if he’s willing to do things like this.

Maybe it’s classed as part of his contract but nevertheless if he was of a mind to I’m sure he could say no to doing it 

Tommy is really good with young supporters, some of whom will be really disappointed that he is leaving. All these people trying to say he is a bad egg need to check their facts. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bobby girl said:

Tommy is really good with young supporters, some of whom will be really disappointed that he is leaving. All these people trying to say he is a bad egg need to check their facts. 

He’s a great ambassador towards the youngster you cannot deny that, my lad is gutted he’s leaving, always happy to sign a shirt and take a pic with them, he will always give a smile for them because it’s them who he plays for most

• Like 2

Just now, alexukhc said:

He’s a great ambassador towards the youngster you cannot deny that, my lad is gutted he’s leaving, always happy to sign a shirt and take a pic with them, he will always give a smile for them because it’s them who he plays for most

My young grandson was quite shy when he met Tommy, but he put him at ease and was great with him.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bobby girl said:

Let's be honest, the bad egg stuff is based entirely on people not rating him as a player or upset that he wants to leave. There's been absolutely no evidence produced to suggest anything more sinister.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

But how will this attract bids?

The only way I can see it attracting bids is that other clubs will think "Ah, Conway has fallen out with Bristol City so maybe he'll be available for less than we thought!".

But that's not really a success for us, is it?

If that's what we wanted then we should have just lowered our asking price.

Or they will wait until the last hour of deadline day, hoping to get a real bargain.

• Like 1

God, how desperate do we sound?! Second day running, we’ve asked the local media to get the message we are desperate to sell. All we’re doing is making our negotiating position worse and driving the price down. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And the games he did start he was nearly always dragged off on 60 minutes. 

44 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I would be a bit wary of taking that bit so literally, I think Bristol Live have set the agenda on this by reporting the issue with inflammatory language, "forced" to train with U21's like he is there under armed guard, "banned" from the dressing room as if there are gatekeepers to pass. Quite why they have taken that stance I don't know, but it makes it sound like a bit more intriguing and attracts more clicks I suppose.

If you think about it logically, there's no reason for him to be in first team dressing room, his team mates at the moment are the U21's and he has said himself that he likes to mix with them and encourage them, so what better place to do it than in the right dressing room.

It doesn't mean he can't mix with his first team mates, it's still a mixed canteen and gym etc, and I am sure that his movements are not going to be monitored to that extent. Anyway, he's the Union Rep, so they can't stop him acting in that capacity. 

If Manning says he doesn't see the value of putting any more work into him then that's his decision, I doubt it makes much difference to Tommy as he's made it quite clear he doesn't see his future here.

I don’t know if you’ve been to the HPC but I think the point in the article is that all first team allocated players in there in the changing area have their own lockers and nameplates etc. What it’s likely to be is that Tommys had his locker, nameplate etc removed - so yeah, he has been removed from the dressing room and is going to one of the more “basic” rooms and would only see the first team in communal areas if timings coincide. I think on that basis the articles quite factual.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

God, how desperate do we sound?! Second day running, we’ve asked the local media to get the message we are desperate to sell. All we’re doing is making our negotiating position worse and driving the price down. 

Nail. Head.

As an aside, I do love how Liam, who eats and sleeps football, professes to not read social media but seems to know exactly what’s being said whenever he’s quizzed by the media in relation to social media comments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t know if you’ve been to the HPC but I think the point in the article is that all first team allocated players in there in the changing area have their own lockers and nameplates etc. What it’s likely to be is that Tommys had his locker, nameplate etc removed - so yeah, he has been removed from the dressing room and is going to one of the more “basic” rooms and would only see the first team in communal areas if timings coincide. I think on that basis the articles quite factual.

I didn't say it wasn't factual, I suggested that the emotive language used has added more fuel to this debate. There were/are other ways of feeling that article in my opinion, but those probably wouldn't have got as much reaction.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well that’s not very nice for Nahki is it, having to play this season with nothing on offer.

Yes it is different, but the principle of the argument isn’t, even if it’s being a bit facetious, nobody is coming out to support Nahki are they?

We are all quite hypocritical aren’t we?

There is a very big difference between the situation of a 21 year old, who has come through the club's academy, has been integral to the first team for a couple of seasons and is/was seen as having a promising future at the club - reflected in the new contract he was offered 12-18 months ago - and a 34 year old who, although well respected, must be viewed as now having his best years behind him.

In fairness, I doubt that either Tommy or Nahki would give anything less than 100% over the next season. The difference is that NW knows that what he shows over the next 10 months will have a huge impact on what he is offered when is current contract expires - whether that's by us ( increasingly unlikely) or by another club, probably down a division or two.

Tommy, on the other hand has his career ahead of him and as a free agent he knows that with his track record to date he will be an attractive proposition. Funnily enough, the worst thing that could happen to TC over the next season would be to be playing regularly and suffer a major injury, especially if it was in the latter part of the season. If he's then out of contract, I presume he loses access to the club's medical and rehabilitation resources and would then become a higher risk signing for any prospective club.

Therein lies my my worry, notwithstanding that Tommy is a good lad and would continue to give "100%". Would he really be putting himself about the pitch and into physical challenges, as he would have in the past, if it risked him picking up a serious injury, as that could jeopardise his plans at the end of his contract?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

There is a very big difference between the situation of a 21 year old, who has come through the club's academy, has been integral to the first team for a couple of seasons and is/was seen as having a promising future at the club - reflected in the new contract he was offered 12-18 months ago - and a 34 year old who, although well respected, must be viewed as now having his best years behind him.

In fairness, I doubt that either Tommy or Nahki would give anything less than 100% over the next season. The difference is that NW knows that what he shows over the next 10 months will have a huge impact on what he is offered when is current contract expires - whether that's by us ( increasingly unlikely) or by another club, probably down a division or two.

Tommy, on the other hand has his career ahead of him and as a free agent he knows that with his track record to date he will be an attractive proposition. Funnily enough, the worst thing that could happen to TC over the next season would be to be playing regularly and suffer a major injury, especially if it was in the latter part of the season. If he's then out of contract, I presume he loses access to the club's medical and rehabilitation resources and would then become a higher risk signing for any prospective club.

Therein lies my my worry, notwithstanding that Tommy is a good lad and would continue to give "100%". Would he really be putting himself about the pitch and into physical challenges, as he would have in the past, if it risked him picking up a serious injury, as that could jeopardise his plans at the end of his contract?

The same question could be asked of players on season long loans.

will they be as committed and willing to risk injury towards the end of the loan period, especially if they know they won’t be retuning to the club next season.

Edited by Back of the Dolman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Henry said:

We're desperate because it turns out no one wants to best player in the Championship, Tommy Conway!

• Haha 1

Just now, HengroveReds said:

No beating around the bush like previous managers, clear plan on the pitch - exciting time in my eyes, good things to come imo under him, each to there own opinion 

Each to their own yeah.

I don't see what is generating the enthusiasm or excitement tbh...maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised when we finally play our first pre-season friendly but I thought NP and his team had that in spades and had to deal with a shit shit hand for much of their tenure.

9 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Do you think it’s a bit of a ‘put him in the shop window’ move to moving him to u21s as well as commitment etc

fair play to LM love his honesty and transparency - good things coming guys!

Like what ?

• Like 2

Each to their own yeah.

I don't see what is generating the enthusiasm or excitement tbh...maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised when we finally play our first pre-season friendly but I thought NP and his team had that in spades and had to deal with a shit shit hand for much of their tenure.

In all fairness there was a pretty low bar set last season for excitement so it’s certainly conceivable that there might at least be a few exciting times this season

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

In all fairness there was a pretty low bar set last season for excitement so it’s certainly conceivable that there might at least be a few exciting times this season

Blame the board for selling Scott then starving NP and co of funds in part.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Blame the board for selling Scott then starving NP and co of funds in part.

Even regardless of the departures of Scott and NP.

The general fare dished up was pretty dull and I think we could of done better if we’d played to our strengths.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

No beating around the bush like previous managers, clear plan on the pitch - exciting time in my eyes, good things to come imo under him, each to there own opinion 

So pearson was a soft touch then.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The same question could be asked of players on season long loans.

will they be as committed and willing to risk injury towards the end of the loan period, especially if they know they won’t be retuning to the club next season.

My take on loans is that the parent club puts a player out on loan, usually at a lower level to prove themselves before returning to the aren't club, where they hope to have a future.

As far as we are concerned, these are usually young players in, or just out of the academy. Some of the youngest go on loan to gain experience of men's football. Some to gain experience of regular first team football, where they would be unlikely to do at City.

In all these cases the player knows that the loan represents his chance to impress. Not being committed would surely be reflected on reports back from the loan club and City staff watching and would not enhance the players chances when they return to the parent club.

Loan players return to their City contract on the same terms.

Tommy knows that his next move and contract will be a huge pay day and that is a much greater risk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Even regardless of the departures of Scott and NP.

The general fare dished up was pretty dull and I think we could of done better if we’d played to our strengths.

Early season pre the injuries?

Thought the game at Millwall was tough but deserved, Hull Away poor start, rallied well had to hold on a bit.

Swansea Away great, first half v WBA at Home outstanding, draw fair in the final analysis, Stoke Home we messed that up, not too bad performance wise, played okay at Leeds in defeat too.

Plymouth weakened side but we had capability to make quick starts, be it goals or intent.

I will grant you the Preston and Birmingham games were disappointing, Leicester and Rotherham Away had their low points.

Injuries were starting to bite by Leicester Away on September 23rd tbh.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My take on loans is that the parent club puts a player out on loan, usually at a lower level to prove themselves before returning to the aren't club, where they hope to have a future.

As far as we are concerned, these are usually young players in, or just out of the academy. Some of the youngest go on loan to gain experience of men's football. Some to gain experience of regular first team football, where they would be unlikely to do at City.

In all these cases the player knows that the loan represents his chance to impress. Not being committed would surely be reflected on reports back from the loan club and City staff watching and would not enhance the players chances when they return to the parent club.

Loan players return to their City contract on the same terms.

Tommy knows that his next move and contract will be a huge pay day and that is a much greater risk.

Yes I understand it fully with young players learning their trade.

But how much did we pay to loan Scott Twine last season ?

he’s not some youngster looking to make his way in the game but with the nature of that deal we had no option or obligation to buy and I’ve even seen some comments that if we can’t get the transfer done then we may look to loan him again.

Will we negotiate a better deal this time or do we intend to pay handsomely again for a one off season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Early season pre the injuries?

Thought the game at Millwall was tough but deserved, Hull Away poor start, rallied well had to hold on a bit.

Swansea Away great, first half v WBA at Home outstanding, draw fair in the final analysis, Stoke Home we messed that up, not too bad performance wise, played okay at Leeds in defeat too.

Plymouth weakened side but we had capability to make quick starts he it goals or intent.

I will grant you the Preston and Birmingham games were disappointing, Leicester and Rotherham away had their low points.

So primarily you appear to have been happier before the injuries set in and the management change was made 

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So primarily you appear to have been happier before the injuries set in and the management change was made 

Yeah. Broadly speaking yeah.

Were you?

Still you can take positives from Stoke at Home even if not the result, and Conway and his 2 goals at Rotherham Away game in the rain horrible conditions were great.

I would also add Ipswich late on we rallied quite well yeah in the last 20-30 mins..Cornick chance that hit post and rolled along the line, injuries were 9 or 10 by then.

I will concede some good periods and games under Manning but ratio wise?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Can’t argue with any of that’ he’s nailed it 👌🏽

The much revered James Piercey! At least we now know where he gets his info from, he's basically rehashed this thread and thrown in a bit of twitter!

Lazy lazy journalist who has just gone right down in my estimation

Edited by frenchred
  • Like 1

Well it would appear that Tommy Conway has no official offers on the table apart from the one offered by City. 
So in nutshell his agent is advising him not to sign and make it clear to the club he wants to leave!!

Therefore kick your heels away from the first team environment and not gain any further championship experience utter madness.  Such poor advice to a young lad with clear talent and a future ahead of him. The main thing is he needs game time to improve 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

The much revered James Piercey! At least we now know where he gets his info from, he's basically rehashed this thread and thrown in a bit of twitter!

What don’t you agree with?

7 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Eh?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I don't think there is universal praise. 

I also don't think it shows strong leadership when it has devalued our most valuable asset. 

He suggests that having Conway in the squad could unsettle the team, I don't get that. Tommy is a popular lad within the squad and if anything his expulsion from the senior set up is likely to cause friction. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Somethings in that article certainly did feel like it had been mined from this thread. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah. Broadly speaking yeah.

Were you?

Still you can take positives from Stoke at Home even if not the result, and Conway and his 2 goals at Rotherham Away game in the rain horrible conditions were great.

I would also add Ipswich late on we rallied quite well yeah in the last 20-30 mins..Cornick chance that hit post and rolled along the line, injuries were 9 or 10 by then.

I will concede some good periods and games under Manning but ratio wise?

Coventry away, was at times exciting and frustrating, some nice football played and if it wasn't for Max we would have come away with 3 points.

(I do hope he's dropped the howlers out of his game this season). Pun intended!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Coventry away, was at times exciting and frustrating, some nice football played and if it wasn't for Max we would have come away with 3 points.

(I do hope he's dropped the howlers out of his game this season). Pun intended!

There were some good games. Obviously I would say on the positive..

Middlesbrough Home, Hull Home, Watford Away, Coventry Away, Southampton Home, Leicester Home, Plymouth Away, Blackburn Home, Norwich Away- Rotherham Home was as expected.

Watford at Home was okay and the first half to 55 mins of Middlesbrough Away seemed decent. Ipswich Away had some positives.

Plus the Cup games of course but the ratio isn't the best.

Could argue we should have got more from Cardiff, QPR, Norwich Home but they were very very dull.

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I also don't think it shows strong leadership when it has devalued our most valuable asset. 

He suggests that having Conway in the squad could unsettle the team, I don't get that. Tommy is a popular lad within the squad and if anything his expulsion from the senior set up is likely to cause friction. 

Manning hasn’t done anything unusual when dealing with players refusing to sign a new contract. Virtually all managers will exclude them as they’re considered not a long term option - common sense rather than strong leadership.

As for Conway - have City received any interest in him?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As for Conway - have City received any interest in him?

Wouldn’t that be speculation?

I’d look on the official site, see what it says there, if I was you.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There were some good games. Obviously I would say on the positive..

Middlesbrough Home, Hull Home, Watford Away, Coventry Away, Southampton Home, Leicester Home, Plymouth Away, Blackburn Home, Norwich Away- Rotherham Home was as expected.

Watford at Home was okay and the first half to 55 mins of Middlesbrough Away seemed decent.

Plus the Cup games of course but the ratio isn't the best.

Completely agree with you and I guess a lot of that would be down to the settling in period, injuries etc.

This season with his players I'd hope to see a huge improvement on results and entertainment ratios! 

5 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Completely agree with you and I guess a lot of that would be down to the settling in period, injuries etc.

This season with his players I'd hope to see a huge improvement on results and entertainment ratios! 

A largely fit squad would make a difference for any manager.

I'm a bit cautious on the 2nd bit, a lot of promise the question is more a 2 years and beyond..promise vs here and now, growth together vs the right environment etc. Albeit I hope to see continued progress as I'm sure we all do.

4 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I don’t see LM reverting to a cavalier style of play.

i think results will be the priority and entertainment is secondary.

Keep it tight, keep it safe and don’t make mistakes and then hopefully we’ll put one chance away to win

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And if he’s not?  Which the Bristol Post makes no hint of?

You said depends on the circumstances…but only present one side of the circumstances? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do we actually know what expectations Tommy and his agent have?  Apart from every young players dream to play as high as possible.  Beyond that?

+++++

Did you forget the 2 he scored against PL opposition?

And if he’s not?  Which the Bristol Post makes no hint of? He’s made it clear he wants to leave. I have a very good source (not Bristol Post btw), who’s view is consistent with Manning’s quotes today.

You said depends on the circumstances…but only present one side of the circumstances?  I don’t recall presenting any side. One of the key circumstances to take into account is the player’s wishes and state of mind.

Do we actually know what expectations Tommy and his agent have?  Apart from every young players dream to play as high as possible.  Beyond that? No and, if he’s had his head turned, then fair play to him. It’s short career and I don’t begrudge him the chance to pursue what he sees as better opportunities. What I do know is that he (and/or his agent) are not prepared to accept the offer made to him.

+++++

Did you forget the 2 he scored against PL opposition? No

Apologies if my post didn’t fit the ‘employees of this club are sh1t narrative’

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think there is universal praise. 

Works both ways, his continued presence whilst not wanting to renew a contract could cause friction as well. 

From a purely logical point of view it makes the most sense, why would he be included in a pre-season for a season he will no longer be apart of? 

• Like 1