IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wouldn’t that be speculation?

I’d look on the official site, see what it says there, if I was you.

The club doesn’t announce things like that Graham………..:cool2:

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Can’t argue with any of that’ he’s nailed it 👌🏽

Where I would argue is tommy conway is no where near ready for the Premier leauge. He is still very young and at a progressive championship club where he is garanteed game time. He has delusions of grandeur. Of course you need to be ambitious the difference is kelly, semenyo reid and Scott all had premier leauge sides falling over them selves to pay a fee, from what I am reading no side values conway high enough to part with a penny of there money preferring to hope that he runs his contract down and they can pick him up on a free in 12 months if he was that sought after clubs would be acting now so they don't  have to compete with other clubs on the open market, like we did with max bird for example. I honestly can not see him 1. Going to a prem club and 2 even if he did he would not play he would be massively down the pecking order! even Alex scott isn't a regular for bournmouth! he has clearly been ill advised and has let the thought of " well my mate quadrupled his money so can I " cloud his rationale and I'd imagine the coaches at the the club must think he is mad and be really disappointed that clearly conway has been led astray.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't think there is universal praise. 

I also don't think it shows strong leadership when it has devalued our most valuable asset. 

He suggests that having Conway in the squad could unsettle the team, I don't get that. Tommy is a popular lad within the squad and if anything his expulsion from the senior set up is likely to cause friction. 

The Seagull is the ITK for the squad dynamics 🙌

Great to have a direct source 👍

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Can’t argue with any of that’ he’s nailed it 👌🏽

He’s sensationalised it, using words such as ‘villain’ and ‘crime’. The club understand his ambition (which they’ve nurtured over the years), but he’s made it clear that he wants out. Whilst this is disappointing, it’s accepted for what it is and the club move on, part of which means planning for next season with players 100% committed. I don’t see a problem on either side - it is what it is and is being managed accordingly.

• Flames 1

59 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Well it would appear that Tommy Conway has no official offers on the table apart from the one offered by City. 
So in nutshell his agent is advising him not to sign and make it clear to the club he wants to leave!!

Therefore kick your heels away from the first team environment and not gain any further championship experience utter madness.  Such poor advice to a young lad with clear talent and a future ahead of him. The main thing is he needs game time to improve 

Exactly what a massive risk conway is taking his agent honestly needs sacking he is playing with absolute fire !!!!

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s no surprise.

Gotta be a kick in the gut that nobody even wants to negotiate an already discounted price for you. I hope he re-evaluates, if not, that we get some sort of bid. Not sure who would bid that would have him in their first team that he would accept.

58 minutes ago, frenchred said:

The much revered James Piercey! At least we now know where he gets his info from, he's basically rehashed this thread and thrown in a bit of twitter!

Lazy lazy journalist who has just gone right down in my estimation

Isn’t that what journalists do…..gather their information from various sources?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

Gotta be a kick in the gut that nobody even wants to negotiate an already discounted price for you. I hope he re-evaluates, if not, that we get some sort of bid. Not sure who would bid that would have him in their first team that he would accept.

Says everything Brit. It seems that no other club wants him enough to make a bid. Any club that might be interested just have to wait until his contract expires.

It could all backfire for Conway as he’s not involved in City first team and kinda off the grid.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

There is a very big difference between the situation of a 21 year old, who has come through the club's academy, has been integral to the first team for a couple of seasons and is/was seen as having a promising future at the club - reflected in the new contract he was offered 12-18 months ago - and a 34 year old who, although well respected, must be viewed as now having his best years behind him.

In fairness, I doubt that either Tommy or Nahki would give anything less than 100% over the next season. The difference is that NW knows that what he shows over the next 10 months will have a huge impact on what he is offered when is current contract expires - whether that's by us ( increasingly unlikely) or by another club, probably down a division or two.

Tommy, on the other hand has his career ahead of him and as a free agent he knows that with his track record to date he will be an attractive proposition. Funnily enough, the worst thing that could happen to TC over the next season would be to be playing regularly and suffer a major injury, especially if it was in the latter part of the season. If he's then out of contract, I presume he loses access to the club's medical and rehabilitation resources and would then become a higher risk signing for any prospective club.

Therein lies my my worry, notwithstanding that Tommy is a good lad and would continue to give "100%". Would he really be putting himself about the pitch and into physical challenges, as he would have in the past, if it risked him picking up a serious injury, as that could jeopardise his plans at the end of his contract?

2 hours ago, Back of the Dolman said:

The same question could be asked of players on season long loans.

will they be as committed and willing to risk injury towards the end of the loan period, especially if they know they won’t be retuning to the club next season.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

My take on loans is that the parent club puts a player out on loan, usually at a lower level to prove themselves before returning to the aren't club, where they hope to have a future.

As far as we are concerned, these are usually young players in, or just out of the academy. Some of the youngest go on loan to gain experience of men's football. Some to gain experience of regular first team football, where they would be unlikely to do at City.

In all these cases the player knows that the loan represents his chance to impress. Not being committed would surely be reflected on reports back from the loan club and City staff watching and would not enhance the players chances when they return to the parent club.

Loan players return to their City contract on the same terms.

Tommy knows that his next move and contract will be a huge pay day and that is a much greater risk.

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes I understand it fully with young players learning their trade.

But how much did we pay to loan Scott Twine last season ?

he’s not some youngster looking to make his way in the game but with the nature of that deal we had no option or obligation to buy and I’ve even seen some comments that if we can’t get the transfer done then we may look to loan him again.

Will we negotiate a better deal this time or do we intend to pay handsomely again for a one off season.

In my original post I explained a possible concern if Tommy stayed and played through next season, namely the he might not ' put himself about" as much as previously for fear of an injury that could jeopardise the lucrative move he hopes to achieve when he becomes a free agent.

You then suggested that was little different to a player going on loan, and using the example of our own, usually younger, loanees I said that if they are injured out on loan they would still come back to their BCFC contract and remuneration and would enjoy the benefit of the club's medical and recuperation facilities, that TC would lose if he was injured past the end date of his City contract.

I agree that Twine is not a youngster building a career, but had he been worried about injury while here on loan last season his worst case scenario is that he's back at Burnley enjoying the same contract, and healthy remuneration, he enjoyed before going out on loan, so I think that's a little different from Tommy going into the last year of his contract, but then I suspect that we all see the same situation differently - as evidenced by this thread and responses to Tommy training with the U21s!

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In my original post I explained a possible concern if Tommy stayed and played through next season, namely the he might not ' put himself about" as much as previously for fear of an injury that could jeopardise the lucrative move he hopes to achieve when he becomes a free agent.

You then suggested that was little different to a player going on loan, and using the example of our own, usually younger, loanees I said that if they are injured out on loan they would still come back to their BCFC contract and remuneration and would enjoy the benefit of the club's medical and recuperation facilities, that TC would lose if he was injured past the end date of his City contract.

I agree that Twine is not a youngster building a career, but had he been worried about injury while here on loan last season his worst case scenario is that he's back at Burnley enjoying the same contract, and healthy remuneration, he enjoyed before going out on loan, so I think that's a little different from Tommy going into the last year of his contract, but then I suspect that we all see the same situation differently - as evidenced by this thread and responses to Tommy training with the U21s!

Ah obviously some confusion in what I wrote and your interpretation.

I meant players coming to us on loan, I didn’t mean our younger players going out on loan.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some Twitter Random, a few people have quoted it.

It is probably confusion over cross border compensation tbh.

Yes I think the Scottish end getting excited about what could be  the case in a year unfortunately , but nowhere near that at present 

• Like 1

Just now, Cov 77 said:

Yes I think the Scottish end getting excited about what could be  the case in a year unfortunately , but nowhere near that at present 

£5-8m I read on here a few weeks back?

That seems fair in the market to me..a player of significant promise yet with 10 x 2 goals at Championship level in a side with questionable creativity. Yet room for growth too, undoubted room for growth.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Forever cast as a villain!?

What a lot of flowery rot-

Reads like a Barbara Cartland novel😁

“Boss”…said Tommy, his bare torso dripping with sweat and his shorts clinging to his thighs “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you”.

Liam looked up from his iPad where he was watching a player for the 30th time. Soon he’d have another love, he just needed 10 more views. Yet, he knew in his heart this day would come. Breathlessly, uneasily, he responded “Yes TC?”

”Well, you know I’ll always love you. Your biggest bit inspires me. But, and this is so, so hard for me…I need to leave. It’s not you, it’s me. Well it’s the Geordie. But a bit me. I hate to hurt you but…”

Liam stopped Tommy in his tracks “It’s ok TC, I understand. You go with my love and blessings, but keep me in your heart. But, before you go, can you do one thing”

”Yes Boss”

”One last time, say our special word”.

Tommy tingled with anticipation, knowing this was the last time. The words could barely leave his mouth but with a dry throat, he licked his lips and whispered…”processes…”

• Haha 14
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

“Boss”…said Tommy, his bare torso dripping with sweat and his shorts clinging to his thighs “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you”.

Liam looked up from his iPad where he was watching a player for the 30th time. Soon he’d have another love, he just needed 10 more views. Yet, he knew in his heart this day would come. Breathlessly, uneasily, he responded “Yes TC?”

”Well, you know I’ll always love you. Your biggest bit inspires me. But, and this is so, so hard for me…I need to leave. It’s not you, it’s me. Well it’s the Geordie. But a bit me. I hate to hurt you but…”

Liam stopped Tommy in his tracks “It’s ok TC, I understand. You go with my love and blessings, but keep me in your heart. But, before you go, can you do one thing”

”Yes Boss”

”One last time, say our special word”.

Tommy tingled with anticipation, knowing this was the last time. The words could barely leave his mouth but with a dry throat, he licked his lips and whispered…”processes…”

Well, I think that's enough Internet for today. 

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£5-8m I read on here a few weeks back?

That seems fair in the market to me..a player of significant promise yet with 10 x 2 goals at Championship level in a side with questionable creativity. Yet room for growth too, undoubted room for growth.

Reading what Fevs mentioned earlier today £5-8 million isn't even ballpark for what we are asking.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Reading what Fevs mentioned earlier today £5-8 million isn't even ballpark for what we are asking.

There is sensible value and this is nuts..higher still?

What I still don't understand is how freezing him out helps us with 2 exciting but raw strikers.

Said a few weeks ago that Tommy was playing with fire here and that he could find himself out of the equation with no chance to impress any potential suitors . I said he could end up in league 1 as a result and I wouldn’t be too shocked to see him end up at Birmingham , Bolton or even Wrexham for a relatively modest fee/. Compo if he doesn’t go in the next 3 weeks . He’s  really messed up after his head was turned by Alex Scott’s move I reckon . Such a shame 😩

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I do know how much they quoted one club. £3m isn’t in the same stratosphere let alone ball-park. And imho (and it is my opinion only) they wouldn’t go from their valuation to £3m it’s too big a drop. That could change as the window goes on and it dawns on them the reality.  Sorry that last sentence sounded like Ian Gay!!!

Bumped for Mr Pops.

• Thanks 1

The only slightly counterintuitive angle I have.

Could it be to try to bounce Conway into signing a new deal even one with a Release Clause..

🥕- New deal, Release Clause, exciting young strikers to compete with.

🥢- Up to a Year in the Youth Team for you..won't do brilliant things for development or keep on the radar of would be suitors.

Smacks more of a Hail Mary, desperate roll of the dice than a considered strategy but I just wonder.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

With it being the case, its then hardly surprising that clubs wouldn't want to spend that much on someone with one year on his contract left whose had 2 hamstring injuries in 2 seasons. So in this case why is Conway at any fault? .... Other than actually not signing a new deal, by the sounds of it he's not had a club to agree to join in the first place. 

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

With it being the case, its then hardly surprising that clubs would want to spend that much on someone with one year on his contract left whose had 2 hamstring injuries in 2 seasons. So in this case why is Conway at any fault? .... Other than actually not signing a new deal, by the sounds of it he's not had a club to agree to join in the first place. 

Agree. And most clubs will know that on September 1st he will only be worth £300,000 or so. I suspect someone will come in with a cheeky bid (£1million or less) late on deadline day. I really can't see him leaving earlier unless it's on a 12 month loan.

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Agree. And most clubs will know that on September 1st he will only be worth £300,000 or so. I suspect someone will come in with a cheeky bid (£1million or less) late on deadline day. I really can't see him leaving earlier unless it's on a 12 month loan.

For me that's the crux behind why some feel he's been treated somewhat unfairly by being booted out of the first team changing room (who he trains with is a different matter) its not like the club have been giving him multiple options and he's turning down offers left, right & centre to get a bigger slice of the pie with a signing on fee on a pre-contract, in that situation you'd back the club 100%

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could it be to try to bounce Conway into signing a new deal even one with a Release Clause..

🥢- Up to a Year in the Youth Team for you..won't do brilliant things for development or keep on the radar of would be suitors.

Smacks more of a Hail Mary, desperate roll of the dice than a considered strategy but I just wonder.

This was mentioned earlier and countered by #Davefevs stating why would Tommy sign when the release clause is an unrealistic amount (I'm guessing £10m plus).

Better for him to run his contract down ànd negotiate a higher wage with his new club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

This was mentioned earlier and countered by #Davefevs stating why would Tommy sign when the release clause is an unrealistic amount (I'm guessing £10m plus).

Better for him to run his contract down ànd negotiate a higher wage with his new club.

Although Gykores and Akpom even in the last year of deal- who knows and a year or 2 more here (under the contract scenario) of Release Clause and banging them in maybe the Release Clause looks a bit cheap.

It's moot anyway as we all know no chance of a new deal- it is a shame it has come to this.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He’s not remotely interested in signing a new contract, didn’t matter whether Pearson or Manning are in charge, he wants to leave.

He’ll either do so before the window closes or at the end of his contract.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He’s not remotely interested in signing a new contract, didn’t matter whether Pearson or Manning are in charge, he wants to leave.

He’ll either do so before the window closes or at the end of his contract.

Could be a long 12 months for Conway then, playing with the U23s..(if it comes to that).

It is quite a drastic step and taken sooner than Massengo in particular..it is bold I'll give them that.

2 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

He’s sensationalised it, using words such as ‘villain’ and ‘crime’. The club understand his ambition (which they’ve nurtured over the years), but he’s made it clear that he wants out. Whilst this is disappointing, it’s accepted for what it is and the club move on, part of which means planning for next season with players 100% committed. I don’t see a problem on either side - it is what it is and is being managed accordingly.

All day long!!! He needs to go and city are doing everything in their power to make it happen.

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

TC isn't signing any new contract. This whole banning him from first team training, changing rooms, meetings, even eating with the first team is all Tinnions doing, even banned his well known agent from the HPC too.

• Thanks 1

So he wants to leave.

That is his choice to make. The issue for me is then what is in our best interests? What if there is no deal to be done by the end of the transfer window that is acceptable to us?

I fail to see given that scenario how it is our best interests not to use him? We are paying him, presumably he wants to do as well as possible to attach suitors. Given a judgement on his attitude being right, I just do not see how our interest is served by sidelining him. It’s a long old season, who knows what might happen with injuries etc.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, cityexile said:

So he wants to leave.

That is his choice to make. The issue for me is then what is in our best interests? What if there is no deal to be done by the end of the transfer window that is acceptable to us?

I fail to see given that scenario how it is our best interests not to use him? We are paying him, presumably he wants to do as well as possible to attach suitors. Given a judgement on his attitude being right, I just do not see how our interest is served by sidelining him. It’s a long old season, who knows what might happen with injuries etc.

Tend to agree. However, also understand LMs view that the sooner he goes the better for all concerned.

Thing is any club that hold an interest are now well aware that we want rid asap and so presumably does TC, which likely results in us having to compromise and accept a lower fee. 

So personally, don’t think we’ve managed this very well.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, cityexile said:

So he wants to leave.

Because if no one signs him by the end of the window why an earth would manning start or even play a player off the bench that has categorically told the club he doesn't want to play for them anymore. How can manning trust conway will work hard and show commitment in games?  tommy won't want to injure himself for a start look what fam did he was shocking in the final 6 months fair play to the club it's about time we toughened up.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Because if no one signs him by the end of the window why an earth would manning start or even play a player off the bench that has categorically told the club he doesn't want to play for them anymore. How can manning trust conway will work hard and show commitment in games?  tommy won't want to injure himself for a start look what fam did he was shocking in the final 6 months fair play to the club it's about time we toughened up.

Easy to say that, and I’d be agreeing with you the moment Conway fails to put in the desired amount of effort.

But there are millions of pounds at stake here, it changes things!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Hard work and commitment are things that can be judged at the time. If they are not there, then sad but fine, react accordingly.

He has said, it seems, he will not sign a new contract and wants to leave. That at least in my mind leaves as an open question what happens if he is still with us at the end of the transfer window. He may very well want to play, and will be full of commitment, as it is in his interests to raise his profile. Just all seems sad, and badly handled, from admittedly my very detached viewpoint to whatever the real facts are.

He may down tools, he may absolutely not. We are prejudging that it seems. If he is our player this season, then get what value we can out of him. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line.

O'Rourke suggests that it could also be a money issue..below market value is a term used.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tommy-conway-door-opens-for-rangers-as-teammates-upset-at-exile-sources/

we do have form for underpaying our home grown players in comparison to others, it was why Scott Murray and Louis left, played a part for Joey B, Bobby and a few others. 

We've started to get it right with Zac and Pring; but seems to be a historical pattern

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

TC isn't signing any new contract. This whole banning him from first team training, changing rooms, meetings, even eating with the first team is all Tinnions doing, even banned his well known agent from the HPC too.

Please let that be true.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Ah his Agent....really think his Agent has a lot to answer for.

Typical Tinnion behaviour though. A thin skinned petty man I'd say.

I can well believe the story about him wanting players to call him "Sir at some stage of his tenure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Hard work and commitment are things that can be judged at the time. If they are not there, then sad but fine, react accordingly.

He has said, it seems, he will not sign a new contract and wants to leave. That at least in my mind leaves as an open question what happens if he is still with us at the end of the transfer window. He may very well want to play, and will be full of commitment, as it is in his interests to raise his profile. Just all seems sad, and badly handled, from admittedly my very detached viewpoint to whatever the real facts are.

He may down tools, he may absolutely not. We are prejudging that it seems. If he is our player this season, then get what value we can out of him. 

For all we know there is alot more to this and manning doesn't like conways attitude on top of also wanting to leave its mannings perogative he is in charge of the first team what he say goes to be honest he is litrally the boss along with tinion sooner conway slings his hook the better.

• Facepalm 3

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Please let that be true.

100% true. Few other young ones under their/his guidance aswell. FWIW they are far from happy with Tinnion is running things.

• Flames 2

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting line.

O'Rourke suggests that it could also be a money issue..below market value is a term used.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/tommy-conway-door-opens-for-rangers-as-teammates-upset-at-exile-sources/

All this sorta stuff comes out the woodwork at convenient timing, so always have to take these things with a pinch of salt, but heard yesterday from someone who’d have no reason to make it up, that the problems have risen from “the club” (I’d imagine, Tinnion) saying verbally that they’d get him to X (which Tommy was happy with), only to put a Y lower offer on the formal contract which was much lower than they’d discussed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

All this sorta stuff comes out the woodwork at convenient timing, so always have to take these things with a pinch of salt, but heard yesterday from someone who’d have no reason to make it up, that the problems have risen from “the club” (I’d imagine, Tinnion) saying verbally that they’d get him to X (which Tommy was happy with), only to put a Y lower offer on the formal contract which was much lower than they’d discussed. 

Well. I’d be stunned if our technical director was unreliable in what he told people and generally a bit of a bullshitter. It’d be totally out of character.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not what I heard, but theres a lot of shit flying around at the moment.

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The problem is because this is tinion you can actually beileve that 🤦🏻‍♂️ he shouts his mouth off before ascertaining the facts wouldn't surprise me if he told conway he can have certain wages for Lansdown to laugh and say I ain't paying him that 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

100% true. Few other young ones under their/his guidance aswell. FWIW they are far from happy with Tinnion is running things.

Guidance ? :laughcont:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Article written by Danny coles 

Seems quite plausible and yet it has been suggested in here that we possibly do my always pay home grown talent what they are worth- in a sense that is looking to leverage their loyalty. I'm open-minded atm.

Danny Coles has a hell of a lot to answer for.

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Tinnion..why does that sound plausible.

I wonder what kind of ballpark Conway might be/might have been minded to accept.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course it was.

Just like James Piercy’s article was the clubs.

What sort of wage range assuming there is or was a wage negotiation point do we think Conway may have been minded to accept?

£25k per week or is that beyond what we might pay..is £20k the total Upper Limit?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah his Agent....really think his Agent has a lot to answer for.

Typical Tinnion behaviour though. A thin skinned petty man I'd say.

I can well believe the story about him wanting players to call him "Sir at some stage of his tenure.

Oh there is a lot of stuff out there for sure and why do you think Nige isn’t here anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Wouldn't be the first time the club have promised one thing and then tried something else

• Like 2

Starting to really feel we’ll struggle for a positive resolution here. I like the ‘laying down the law’ policy, managers need to be respected. But I’d be taking 3-4 million at this point if anyone stumped it up. I think given his contract situation, 7-8m was unrealistic anyway. I like the lad, but Alex Scott and Antoine he is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC31 said:

For all we know there is alot more to this and manning doesn't like conways attitude on top of also wanting to leave its mannings perogative he is in charge of the first team what he say goes to be honest he is litrally the boss along with tinion sooner conway slings his hook the better.

Conway doesn't strike me as the sort to start playing up.

His agent yes that is a different story but I'm doubtful that he has suddenly become a disruptor.

On 18/07/2024 at 22:44, Andy082005 said:
58 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Guidance ? :laughcont:

I don't see Conway as being ahead of Reid, Scott, Kelly or Semenyo in terms of current ability and you'd be hard pressed to argue his ceiling is above most of those which suggests a Prem club followed by a loan back to the championship or a move to Scotland. That said he wasn't exactly blessed with chances to score last season and perhaps he thinks he will have more opportunities elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. Fam was desperate to move on only to appear as a bit part player at Cardiff. For many the grass isn't greener. 

8 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Starting to really feel we’ll struggle for a positive resolution here. I like the ‘laying down the law’ policy, managers need to be respected. But I’d be taking 3-4 million at this point if anyone stumped it up. I think given his contract situation, 7-8m was unrealistic anyway. I like the lad, but Alex Scott and Antoine he is not.

100% agree. 

Conway isn't at this stage Semenyo or Scott or Reid no.

He also isn't as old as Semenyo or Reid at time of move, or the same profile of player.

Think Old Firm or a higher end Championship club could suit him quite well or even with another year or 2 here to really flourish and develop, before he likely outgrows us- style of play another key factor too.

• Like 1

While I agree Conway isn’t a Semenyo or Scott etc there is a but here.

And that but is that the club (even before this) were valuing him at more than the market would swallow.

So, contract wise - if he’s worth (say) £8m in the clubs eyes does anyone think he’s being paid as an £8m player, even on our “excellent offer”.

And that’s not me saying we should pay him in line with that. But he’ll know what £8m players get paid, and I don’t think anyone could blame him if he wanted what was in that ballpark. One of the things we have done well is reduce the wage budget and I have no desire to chase our tail again - and it’s totally possible that based on our market value for the player his wages are outside our budget.

It appears the club are both pro cake and pro eating it. They want to get top dollar for their player, but would also like to keep him by paying less than his market value.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

While I agree Conway isn’t a Semenyo or Scott etc there is a but here.

And that but is that the club (even before this) were valuing him at more than the market would swallow.

So, contract wise - if he’s worth (say) £8m in the clubs eyes does anyone think he’s being paid as an £8m player, even on our “excellent offer”.

And that’s not me saying we should pay him in line with that. But he’ll know what £8m players get paid, and I don’t think anyone could blame him if he wanted what was in that ballpark. One of the things we have done well is reduce the wage budget and I have no desire to chase our tail again - and it’s totally possible that based on our market value for the player his wages are outside our budget.

It appears the club are both pro cake and pro eating it. They want to get top dollar for their player, but would also like to keep him by paying less than his market value.

How's is the wage budget looking with all new signings?

6 minutes ago, Redhed123 said:

How's is the wage budget looking with all new signings?

Dont know. But the point is that you can’t say to a player on one hand “your sale value is £x” and then expect him to sign a contract not in line with that sale value.

I don’t think we should be paying wages in line with £8m players FWIW. But if we believed he was worth that much, we knew that and should have acted sooner?

• Like 4