IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

If Celtic had a desire to do something in Europe, they may actually

A) Use a bit of their £70m or so Cash pile.

B) Use a bit of their FFP headroom.

C) Have their owner invest a bit.

D) Actually once in a while look to build on an okayish base. Similar turnover to Ajax e.g. I believe.

He is a billionaire but I think he has invested £23m in 30 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Don't say that, they'll be all out to get you, attack you and blame Manning for this.

Sounds a little paranoid. I don’t see too much that’s attacking Manning for anything, he is after all the head coach not the manager. 

However I suspect there is plenty of finger pointing going on elsewhere. 

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Conway not even getting minutes for u21’s will drive his price down further due to lack of match fitness 

300K compo next year is it then. Conway's career stalled. And his agent with eff all in his pocket, comparatively.

In the meantime, Hirakawa, Mayulu and Armstrong have been kicking ass, propelling City onwards and upwards.

Cheerio!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Conway not even getting minutes for u21’s will drive his price down further due to lack of match fitness 

Do you, does anyone think it is feasible that Conway sits an entire season out save for U21 training? I agree it could have a detrimental effect on match fitness.

That would (terrible idea) but it would be quite a Statement. A Big Statement.

That isn't to say I think it sensible as such but it would be a Big Statement without a doubt.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Never forgiven Danny Coles for that clumsy foul in the box against Brighton…

I’ve never forgiven Tony Ford and Chris Crowe both missing a penalty against Spurs in 67

• Robin 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No offers because City have put a stupid price tag on his head.  Let’s see where that lands City over next 5 and bit weeks.

Na, an asking price hasn't put clubs off making offers before. 

No offers because he isn't a stand-out talent. Yet. 

• Like 11
  • Facepalm 2

Intriguing that we have competing storylines now...

1. Poor innocent Tommy just wants to further his career, but he's been messed around by our board who reneged on contracts, and all the genuine interest in him has been chased off by a rabid Tinnion who has screamed that nothing below 10m will be entertained.

And now, despite launching Tommy into the transfer ether, they have now booted him into a black hole of exile, at their own cost.

Or,

2. Greedy Danny Coles, fagan-like in his manipulation of ambitious young footballers, has sold a lie to the player, has misplaced contracts, dodged calls, and now stands to lose poor Tommy a six figure sum by giving him ill-advice and persuading him to shun his hometown club and their generous offer. 

Now, Coles is speaking to Tommy through the bars of his metaphorical prison cell, promising a big club will come in for him eventually, "They will, Tommy, would I lie to you?!!"

[Note: there may be some instances of minor dramatisation in this post.]

Edited by mozo
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Either he has something lined up.

Or whoever made the decision is willing to have Conway tough it out for the duration of the contract/season. He may have featured in his last ever City game.

If Tommy does decide to leave at the end of his contract (as he is fully entitled to do) then it would be silly of us to not make use of him for the season. 

@Silvio Dante made a tongue in cheek comment about signing Twine on loan for the season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If Tommy does decide to leave at the end of his contract (as he is fully entitled to do) then it would be silly of us to not make use of him for the season. 

@Silvio Dante made a tongue in cheek comment about signing Twine on loan for the season. 

I do agree but who knows with our hierarchy.

• Like 1

I think this is about putting Coles in his place aswell as Conway. I’ve no issues with that whatsoever - the bloke is as bitter & twisted as they get. How & why City players would want to to hire him I will never know.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Either he has something lined up.

Or whoever made the decision is willing to have Conway tough it out for the duration of the contract/season. He may have featured in his last ever City game.

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But surprised he didn't get any minutes against Weston this evening. It really is petty. 

It’s the latter. I don’t think they will let him play any games. If their reasoning behind banishing is essentially “we only want to play players who wanna be here”, then by the same token they sure as hell shouldn’t pick him ahead of a promising upcoming 18s/21s player. He will train and that’s it.

And even then, I imagine it’s a “we’re letting you train and use our facilities” type optic. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

It’s the latter. I don’t think they will let him play any games. If their reasoning behind banishing is essentially “we only want to play players who wanna be here”, then by the same token they sure as hell shouldn’t pick him ahead of a promising upcoming 18s/21s player. He will train and that’s it.

And even then, I imagine it’s a “we’re letting you train and use our facilities” type optic. 

That is also my interpretation if it drags.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

His best time with us was due mainly to Weimann being a brilliant provider, the importance of that support was instrumental in his top scoring  - injury did not help last season but without that service he was far below the high bar he previously achieved - still has a lot to learn

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Don’t price him like one then! 😉

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Wrongagain said:

His best time with us was due mainly to Weimann being a brilliant provider, the importance of that support was instrumental in his top scoring  - injury did not help last season but without that service he was far below the high bar he previously achieved - still has a lot to learn

But I'm not sure how it's his fault that we failed to provide him with service last season? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Spot on Pete  - no club wants a player who’s not committed and in any situations similar to TC’s managers will invariably ostracise them to the u21s and thus showing that they’re no longer part of the managers plans.

Its common sense after all.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Spot on Pete  - no club wants a player who’s not committed and in any situations similar to TC’s managers will invariably ostracise them to the u21s and thus showing that they’re no longer part of the managers plans.

These matters can appear but they don't usually drag.

It is rare, very rare for players to stay in that position for long- either a move is found or they are gradually re-integrated.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But I'm not sure how it's his fault that we failed to provide him with service last season? 

Manning certainly didn’t play a style that suited TC’s strengths. He often was the lone striker with no second striker..

Judging from this summers signings Mannings style of play will very different this coming season.

• Hmmm 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It depends tho doesn't it? 

Just because a player says they want to leave, that doesn't mean they are not commited in there here and now, day to day. 

Tommy is not someone who comes across as someone who will be acting unprofessional or creating problems or downing tools. 

If his work ethic is still the same then it's silly to not make use of him whilst he is still here. A couple of goals in August could tempt a club to bid for him. 

Just because a player wants to move clubs, it doesn't mean they are suddenly a rotten egg. See Gundogan for example who was an incredible professional right up til the end before leaving for Barcelona on a free. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's the type of 'common sense' that has a habit of turning & biting you right on the arse....

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Anyone know if Tommy's family have any affinity with Celtic or Rangers? 

Ultimately, for a professional football it probably doesn't matter a great deal (Celtic legend Kenny Dalglish grew up a massive Rangers fan) but it may sway matter if he had an option with them both. 

Alfie Conn was the first player ever to play for both clubs in the 60's or 70's (I forget, time passes so quickly ).

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Manning certainly didn’t play a style that suited TC’s strengths. He often was the lone striker with no second striker..

Judging from this summers signings Mannings style of play will very different this coming season.

I think the style of play won't alter much EXCEPT we will be different in the final third where I expect us to be a little bit more direct.........I don't see us banging it long back to front for 90 minutes but passes from midfield players in behind and plenty of balls going in the box when we get it wide.

As for Conway, has late "cut-price with significant add-ons" deadline day move written all over it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

you can rule out tommy going to Rangers if they sign the plymouth striker. I don't think anyone wants him. he needs to be careful. 

£15m I have seen reported for Whittaker.

My suspicion is that he will be well out of range of the Old Firm clubs.

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the style of play won't alter much EXCEPT we will be different in the final third where I expect us to be a little bit more direct.........I don't see us banging it long back to front for 90 minutes but passes from midfield players in behind and plenty of balls going in the box when we get it wide.

As for Conway, has late "cut-price with significant add-ons" deadline day move written all over it.

That’s certainly a possibility.

As for the style of play - it was really frustrating last season to see City getting into wide positions with no significant presence in the box. City were crying out for a CF who could occupy and bully CBs.

This coming campaign City have signed two strikers in Fally and Armstrong and hopefully Manning will adopt a two up strategy which will mean a different style of play.

• Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some contradictory lines here, Bristol Post article on our attacking options seems to infer that Conway could theoretically be considered for selection again.

Daniel Hargraves not Piercy..

The Wells comments were before the U21 decision.

Screenshot_20240724-154923_Chrome.thumb.jpg.235d37a0951fbb360b88f7a74ad62041.jpgScreenshot_20240724-154936_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4babeec911cd2dcf832cd7f90447527e.jpgScreenshot_20240724-154953_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b987aac08c8e84a260135284bbc9c32d.jpg

Yeah it's just a gashead who doesn't know what he's talking about covering for Piercy whilst he's on holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Yeah it's just a gashead who doesn't know what he's talking about covering for Piercy whilst he's on holiday.

Ah he is Rovers- that explains it! :laughcont:

If TC is here beyond August without a resolution though it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This coming campaign City have signed two strikers in Fally and Armstrong and hopefully Manning will adopt a two up strategy which will mean a different style of play.

Then why didn't we pair Wells and Conway under Manning??

Not like they didn't work well together at times, albeit the structure of the side was also a bit different.

This is also where incoherence can kick in.

This would be the 3rd or 4th different style under Manning in 2/3 of a season.

*We begun with the 4-2-3-1 or similar.

*We had the back 3 with 1 striker and two 10s.

*We maybe had the back 3 with 1 striker and two wide players.

Now it is 2 up front?

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If TC is here beyond August without a resolution though it'll be interesting to see how it goes

This is the bit that bothers me. OK I get it that Manning doesn't want to waste his time on a player that might not be here shortly. I get all that. But there is a distinct possibility that Conway does remain here for the season. 

In that scenario I think you do need to just make use of him whilst he is still our player. So banishing him to the 21s and not giving him any pre season minutes (so far) isn't the correct way to do things if he does end up staying here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is the bit that bothers me. OK I get it that Manning doesn't want to waste his time on a player that might not be here shortly. I get all that. But there is a distinct possibility that Conway does remain here for the season. 

In that scenario I think you do need to just make use of him whilst he is still our player. So banishing him to the 21s and not giving him any pre season minutes (so far) isn't the correct way to do things if he does end up staying here. 

Just to add to this, what if Conway does stay and Fally and Sinclair get injured? We're then shooting ourselves in the foot. OK an unlikely scenario but still a possible one. 

• Like 1

I personally agree with Manning on this situation, to turn down the contract offer which is apparently a great offer and to not even negotiate it means his heart is set on leaving no matter what, to do that to the club who has basically raised you from the young age and backed you all the way from a youngster is not good.

In my eyes his agent has obviously said something to him and got in his ear about maybe clubs sniffing around him and it’s got to his head, and this he’s better than he is. 

I personally don’t think he’s that good at the moment especially leading a line, a lot of clubs now a days play with a solo striker, i think he would be better in a two. I don’t think he’s even that good to play top end champ.

At the end of this i do wish we could hear Tommys version of all of this.

Edited by Stockwood redss
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Just to add to this, what if Conway does stay and Fally and Sinclair get injured? We're then shooting ourselves in the foot. OK an unlikely scenario but still a possible one. 

Sinclaur was wearing strapping on his thigh yesterday. So always a possibility of injury to one of them.

Suppose Wells would be first pick in that scenario though.

Very confident if Tommy is still here beyond the window they will reintegrate him to the first team squad not long after.

sounds like the belief is he will be gone by then , certainly the players wish, so understand why they are keeping him separate and not really in first team plans for now. 

sure if the deadline passes then it will be re-evaluated, whether he signs a new deal or not, he would be a valuable asset we had for another 6 months with no option to shift in that period 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, internetjef said:

Very confident if Tommy is still here beyond the window they will reintegrate him to the first team squad not long after.

sounds like the belief is he will be gone by then , certainly the players wish, so understand why they are keeping him separate and not really in first team plans for now. 

sure if the deadline passes then it will be re-evaluated, whether he signs a new deal or not, he would be a valuable asset we had for another 6 months with no option to shift in that period 

You'd think that would be possible, it isn't uncommon, but you never know with this club.

4 minutes ago, internetjef said:

I really can’t see how, or why they should. 

Under their proposed reasoning for expelling him, it makes absolutely no difference if he’s still here once the window shuts. 

Only way he comes back in to the first team, is if he signs a deal. And from what I’m lead to believe, his agent isn’t even allowed in the HPC now…so I can’t imagine that happening anytime soon!

Fully expecting someone else to be given the 15 shirt too, once squad numbers are announced. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Yea I agree with this. Don’t think it is a petty issue. I think it is more let others get the minutes and things in preseason and early season. I can’t foresee TC being a problem so as the window draws near a close, I think he’ll probably pop back up in training and on the bench. He may not be better than Fally or Sinclair(he also could be) but he is better at this moment imo than Mehmeti, Wells and Bell. Probably a similar performer to Sykes. A good pro who is intelligent and calm. He’d be an asset to the match day squad. Just for now, let us develop the players who will be here beyond next summer(in theory). 

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I really can’t see how, or why they should. 

Under their proposed reasoning for expelling him, it makes absolutely no difference if he’s still here once the window shuts. 

Only way he comes back in to the first team, is if he signs a deal. And from what I’m lead to believe, his agent isn’t even allowed in the HPC now…so I can’t imagine that happening anytime soon!

Fully expecting someone else to be given the 15 shirt too, once squad numbers are announced. 

Totally agree.

The idea of him coming back is for the birds really.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

See him as our best striker personally, albeit Wells of course by dint of age and experience may be top.

All about opinions though.

Agree. Would take Tommy over those 3 all day long.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

See him as our best striker personally, albeit Wells of course by dint of age and experience may be top.

I think football would probably view Tommy as a better striker than anything we currently have. Wells behind him due to age, he’s more of a proven quantity than Fally or Sincs.

If you asked non Bristol City fans to rank our strikers, the vast majority would have the 21 year old top scorer for the last two seasons Scottish international first. It’s folly (not Fally) to think otherwise.

(NB - the others may overtake him ultimately and this isn’t agreeing/disagreeing with our decision to sell, it’s just what it is)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We’ll see. Tommy doesn’t have much to his game outside of good finisher.  Which is great to have by the way.

However, the only way he gets chances is in an open game. Against compact defenses he doesn’t really help too much in the attack. I don’t know how good the other two will be but in theory they should be able to do what Tommy does but also provide a target for crosses and hold the ball up better to drag us up the pitch. They may miss more sitters but the hope is they help us get to that opportunity where we have more easy chances. 

Saying he is the best out of those 3 isn’t a crazy opinion but we haven’t seen the other 2 play yet. They could offer so much more than TC. So I can’t say TC would be the best option of the 3. Especially off the back of the season he just had

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

We’ll see. Tommy doesn’t have much to his game outside of good finisher.  Which is great to have by the way.

However, the only way he gets chances is in an open game. Against compact defenses he doesn’t really help too much in the attack. I don’t know how good the other two will be but in theory they should be able to do what Tommy does but also provide a target for crosses and hold the ball up better to drag us up the pitch. They may miss more sitters but the hope is they help us get to that opportunity where we have more easy chances. 

Saying he is the best out of those 3 isn’t a crazy opinion but we haven’t seen the other 2 play yet. They could offer so much more than TC. So I can’t say TC would be the best option of the 3. Especially off the back of the season he just had

I’ve always said as an all round game Wells offers more. Get some funny looks………….

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

A different profile of player aren't they.. I think you're underselling Conway a bit, in 2022-23 he got 3 Assists and I dunno he isn't a huge passer of the ball but when he gets it he is pretty accurate. Some all-round attributes can be learned and honed over time.

Fundamentally we are not a terribly creative side and that has a detrimental impact on whoever we have up front tbh.

I think the two new ones will take time personally but we shall see- right now to me Conway feels the safest bet.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stockwood redss said:

I personally agree with Manning on this situation, to turn down the contract offer which is apparently a great offer and to not even negotiate it means his heart is set on leaving no matter what, to do that to the club who has basically raised you from the young age and backed you all the way from a youngster is not good.

In my eyes his agent has obviously said something to him and got in his ear about maybe clubs sniffing around him and it’s got to his head, and this he’s better than he is. 

I personally don’t think he’s that good at the moment especially leading a line, a lot of clubs now a days play with a solo striker, i think he would be better in a two. I don’t think he’s even that good to play top end champ.

Wouldn’t it be nice!!!  He’s doing what he always does, concentrates on being a pretty model pro.  If the club thought popping him into the u21s and removing him from the first team dressing room wouldn’t break in the news, they are naive.  Their decision forced his contract situation and desire to sell him firmly into the public domain.  Unnecessarily imho.

• Like 2

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Rangers won't spend £4M let alone 15.

That was my thinking too.

Rangers have a certain pull but Whittaker seems to be sought after, not cheap, 3 years left on deal and Plymouth sound financially.

All factors in Plymouth favour.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A different profile of player aren't they.. I think you're underselling Conway a bit, in 2022-23 he got 3 Assists and I dunno he isn't a huge passer of the ball but when he gets it he is pretty accurate. Some all-round attributes can be learned and honed over time.

Fundamentally we are not a terribly creative side and that has a detrimental impact on whoever we have up front tbh.

I think the two new ones will take time personally but we shall see- right now to me Conway feels the safest bet.

I mean no we weren’t creative but that also shouldn’t translate to 6 goals from open play either from someone you consider a goal scorer. There is a reason we went with a different profile. Tommy could not physically handle what was being asked. That’s ok. However, why would Manning change his beliefs for one player when he has to think about all 11? Manning wanted a type of forward and got 2. Now the rest of the side has 30 odd games of his style and we slot in a new forward in Manning’s vision. 

You won’t see me argue he can‘t get better. It is a reason I find his reluctance to sign baffling. We knew he needed work and yet we offered a new deal on improved terms at a club that believes in him. Imo he should have signed and kept developing. No shame in moving at 24-25 rather than 20-21. 

I think SA will improve us straight away. It may not translate early to more goals but I think he’ll scare teams more than anyone we already have here. Fally, idk, I want to see him for a few games first. 

6 minutes ago, Jose said:

I’ve always said as an all round game Wells offers more. Get some funny looks………….

100% but Wells has had 10+ years of EFL football too at varying levels. So it isn’t crazy for him to be better than TC. Tommy should have(maybe he has) been shadowing NW non stop these past few seasons. Both a bit undersized but good finishers and quicker rather than fast.

Is kind of how I view TC’s potential. I am sure Wells could have scored plenty in Scotland. However, he ended up in England for the duration of his career(after arriving young). One of the best goal scorers at championship level and throughout the EFL. Had a brief premier league spell but really good championship player for most of his career. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stockwood redss said:

Completely agree.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think football would probably view Tommy as a better striker than anything we currently have. Wells behind him due to age, he’s more of a proven quantity than Fally or Sincs.

If you asked non Bristol City fans to rank our strikers, the vast majority would have the 21 year old top scorer for the last two seasons Scottish international first. It’s folly (not Fally) to think otherwise.

(NB - the others may overtake him ultimately and this isn’t agreeing/disagreeing with our decision to sell, it’s just what it is)

If you asked most "non Bristol city fans" I doubt that many of heard of him! Let's be fair he's hardly set the league alight!

• Like 3

I personally don't subscribe this idea that Conway doesn't fit Manning's brand of football. 

I'm sure Manning would say that if we execute the attacking gameplay correctly, we'll create good goalscoring opportunities for Conway. 

Look at the Wells and Armstrong goals yesterday. Conway could score those.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t it be nice!!!  He’s doing what he always does, concentrates on being a pretty model pro.  If the club thought popping him into the u21s and removing him from the first team dressing room wouldn’t break in the news, they are naive.  Their decision forced his contract situation and desire to sell him firmly into the public domain.  Unnecessarily imho.

Tommy's contract was already very much in the public domain, 2 different managers have been continually asked about it and with it now entering the final year would only intensify. If Nige was to be believed, TC was offered to be made 1 of the highest paid players and has rejected it and ended any further negotiations therefore making it plain, a move away is the only option that protects the club as seeing out his contract which would be financially poor for the club. The only person or persons to blame are TC & or his agent.

Putting him in the u21's sends a very clear message to TC that we will not just sit back and let him play out his contract at nice old little Bristol City, therefore if he does not want to have a massive set back to his career and disappear from the lime light his agent needs to get on and find him a new club at an agreeable sale price where he may even have to re-think his salary expectations.

If we do not sale by the start of the season, maybe TC has a re-think about his current plight and considers a new contract and even if he does not maybe LM brings him back into the group as it would be silly not to, but at the moment the club is taking the correct stance.

It will not impact value as Coles will make sure any other interested club knows he is not going to sign for us, and as for yes he may score a few goals and up the value, equally he may not and interested parties could go off him.

I am sure their will be a lot going on to get him a move and very surprised if he does not leave before the window closes

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I mean no we weren’t creative but that also shouldn’t translate to 6 goals from open play either from someone you consider a goal scorer. There is a reason we went with a different profile. Tommy could not physically handle what was being asked. That’s ok. However, why would Manning change his beliefs for one player when he has to think about all 11? Manning wanted a type of forward and got 2. Now the rest of the side has 30 odd games of his style and we slot in a new forward in Manning’s vision. 

You won’t see me argue he can‘t get better. It is a reason I find his reluctance to sign baffling. We knew he needed work and yet we offered a new deal on improved terms at a club that believes in him. Imo he should have signed and kept developing. No shame in moving at 24-25 rather than 20-21. 

I think SA will improve us straight away. It may not translate early to more goals but I think he’ll scare teams more than anyone we already have here. Fally, idk, I want to see him for a few games first. 

100% but Wells has had 10+ years of EFL football too at varying levels. So it isn’t crazy for him to be better than TC. Tommy should have(maybe he has) been shadowing NW non stop these past few seasons. Both a bit undersized but good finishers and quicker rather than fast.

Is kind of how I view TC’s potential. I am sure Wells could have scored plenty in Scotland. However, he ended up in England for the duration of his career(after arriving young). One of the best goal scorers at championship level and throughout the EFL. Had a brief premier league spell but really good championship player for most of his career. 

Some failing on Manning’s part too???

He told us after his first game (at QPR) he would create the types of chances for Tommy and get him involved in build-up.  Yet, the style of play basically went in a big “U” shape from our CBs and  then ended 25-yards for the goal-line on the flanks, and couldn’t penetrate infield.  Not many strikers are gonna score in that set up - which was bottom 6 offensively last season.

The hope is that it’s personnel that’s the difference-maker this season, or a preseason of drilling LM’s way, or a bit of both.

We bemoan Tommy’s penalties (5/5), but to be consistent where would LM be without those 7 pens in 31 games (and Nahki’s 2/2).

• Flames 1

Without penalties for any side indeed we were well down it for xG..19th by my Fbref. I don't want to make it another contest again 

17.6 xG from 15 Games under NP and Fleming 1 game, no penalties.

Therefore by process of elimination, 28.8 from the remaining 31. 34.1 with penalties.

19 minutes ago, frenchred said:

If you asked most "non Bristol city fans" I doubt that many of heard of him! Let's be fair he's hardly set the league alight!

I realise people are on a downer about him but that’s nonsense. He was in the Scotland Euro squad and gained significant profile from the West Ham games even before you dig and find he was our top scorer. The club overvalue him, yes, and I’ve been clear where I think his current level is but the majority of football fans - certainly at our level - would have heard of him.

And I agree he hasn’t set the league alight - but that should have been reflected in the price we quoted, which in turn in part drives contract expectations and gets us in this mess.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some failing on Manning’s part too???

He told us after his first game (at QPR) he would create the types of chances for Tommy and get him involved in build-up.  Yet, the style of play basically went in a big “U” shape from our CBs and  then ended 25-yards for the goal-line on the flanks, and couldn’t penetrate infield.  Not many strikers are gonna score in that set up - which was bottom 6 offensively last season.

The hope is that it’s personnel that’s the difference-maker this season, or a preseason of drilling LM’s way, or a bit of both.

We bemoan Tommy’s penalties (5/5), but to be consistent where would LM be without those 7 pens in 31 games (and Nahki’s 2/2).

Definitely. It’s at this point we should bring up our old friend xG again. We know last season Tommy was told he’d have to get used to having less of the ball (per Liam) and we’d create different kinds of chances for him. We didn’t - he was asked to play a certain way and the opportunities didn’t come in that setup. That’s a collective fault of coaching, setup and striker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

14 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Tommy's contract was already very much in the public domain, 2 different managers have been continually asked about it and with it now entering the final year would only intensify. If Nige was to be believed, TC was offered to be made 1 of the highest paid players and has rejected it and ended any further negotiations therefore making it plain, a move away is the only option that protects the club as seeing out his contract which would be financially poor for the club. The only person or persons to blame are TC & or his agent.

Putting him in the u21's sends a very clear message to TC that we will not just sit back and let him play out his contract at nice old little Bristol City, therefore if he does not want to have a massive set back to his career and disappear from the lime light his agent needs to get on and find him a new club at an agreeable sale price where he may even have to re-think his salary expectations.

If we do not sale by the start of the season, maybe TC has a re-think about his current plight and considers a new contract and even if he does not maybe LM brings him back into the group as it would be silly not to, but at the moment the club is taking the correct stance.

It will not impact value as Coles will make sure any other interested club knows he is not going to sign for us, and as for yes he may score a few goals and up the value, equally he may not and interested parties could go off him.

I am sure their will be a lot going on to get him a move and very surprised if he does not leave before the window closes

Para 1…so why have they waited until now as his market value diminishes?

Para 2…and what if he decides to do just that, sits tight.  The club keep telling us there’s no interest.  So how are they “gonna sell him as quickly as possible”?

Para 3…maybe the club have to do the re-thinking then as per your second part of your para?

Para 4…there becomes a point (I think we are already there but that’s just me) where his value moves towards the low value of next summer, whether that be the worst case Scotland / Europe or less worst case this country.

Para 5…couldn’t agree more. 👍🏻

• Like 1