IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 hour ago, Corsham Alf said:

A quick update on TC.

Rangers have bid 1.75m for him. It’s a take it or leave it offer from rangers as they are skint and can barely afford that. The deal is littered with add ons and only £400k upfront. Pretty poor from them. Apparently Tinnion wants to peddle this story apparently to generate interest as currently there is none other than this bid! So very little interest in TC. 

If that's true then you'd think Rangers have much more chance of signing TC in January when that kind of offer becomes more acceptable. 

2 hours ago, Corsham Alf said:

A quick update on TC.

Rangers have bid 1.75m for him. It’s a take it or leave it offer from rangers as they are skint and can barely afford that. The deal is littered with add ons and only £400k upfront. Pretty poor from them. Apparently Tinnion wants to peddle this story apparently to generate interest as currently there is none other than this bid! So very little interest in TC. 

Seriously just tell them to do one , pathetic offer all round , whatever said in here he is worth a decent amount more than that, no need to sell get what you can from him , if January want to cash in for best you can get so be it , but frankly not even worth thinking about 

• Like 1

If that offer from Rangers is true it’s a bit cheeky or does it show that Tommy is not as highly rated as he thinks he is !

Plus his agent is not giving him the right advice and keeps saying a better offer will come along. 
It’s a shame that agents have so much control over players these days 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

If that offer from Rangers is true it’s a bit cheeky or does it show that Tommy is not as highly rated as he thinks he is !

Plus his agent is not giving him the right advice and keeps saying a better offer will come along. 
It’s a shame that agents have so much control over players these days 

It’s them trying to take advantage of the FIFA compo amount.  By all means Rangers, if you want to pay that, you can wait til next summer (pre contract Jan which isn’t really worth the paper it’s written on), and then see if you’re his number one choice against other competition.  Otherwise you need to make an offer somewhere in the region of his “market value” at this current time.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It really is quite tiresome the 'he's not as good as he thinks he is' line from people 

1.  Whether someone bids for you or not has nothing to do with how good you actually are.

2. No evidence of arrogance or arrogant behaviour, unless someone has experience of him being a big time Charlie?

3. He hasn't signed a new contract. That's it.

I’m glad it’s not just me who finds the constant comments about him thinking he’s better than he is and comments regarding his attitude being questionable are tiresome 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’m glad it’s not just me who finds the constant comments about him thinking he’s better than he is and comments regarding his attitude being questionable are tiresome 

Ditto 

5 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Agree, I don't think he's that way inclined. I'm sure he wants to be wherever he is most likely to develop as a player and get recognition. Getting splinters in his backside for large periods of last season and the Euros must be frustrating, although not necessarily unwarranted. 

13 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I have no criticism of TGs attitude. It’s his goalscoring record that I’ve criticised. I think is was 4 or 5 penalties in his tally and he must have missed at least four or five one on ones last season.

Its the fans who think he’s better than he is not Tommy himself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

and he must have missed at least four or five one on ones last season.

Shock horror, player misses 1v1 😉😉😉

Many more 1v1s are missed than scored, yet as fans we all say “must score”.

How about the ones he scored?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have no criticism of TGs attitude. It’s his goalscoring record that I’ve criticised. I think is was 4 or 5 penalties in his tally and he must have missed at least four or five one on ones last season.

Its the fans who think he’s better than he is not Tommy himself.

But strikers miss chances, if he didn’t then there wouldn't be a thread on here discussing his future as he’d of been snapped up already.

I’d be more concerned if he wasn’t getting into situations where he could miss chances.

Last season he lost a manager who’d shown great faith in him, his friend left for the Premier League, he suffered a hamstring injury that restricted his playing time and I think at times even when he was back he didn’t look comfortable.

And I believe he suffered a bereavement that wouldn’t of helped his performance.

Maybe when all that is taken into consideration then did he really have such a bad season ?

we must remember that the teams form and performances were also woeful for an extended period where we were creating nothing so maybe we should all consider the bigger picture of last season for Tommy and the team

• Like 6
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I don't think that fwiw, moreso the 'advice' he's been given. No criticism of TC personally from me. His agents MAY be putting him in a terrible personal position down to their greed, and not on TC's part nor to his benefit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't think that fwiw, moreso the 'advice' he's been given. No criticism of TC personally from me. His agents MAY be putting him in a terrible personal position down to their greed, and not on TC's part nor to his benefit.

Yes agents have become a blight on the game but sadly an opportunity arose for them because of the way clubs treated players before their inception.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes agents have become a blight on the game but sadly an opportunity arose for them because of the way clubs treated players before their inception.

The Aden Flint scenario was refreshing though

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What has bidding got to do with his ability, it doesn’t change because of bids / no bids!  And if City have said £5-8m (as per Post article) then clubs might think, ah sod it well have him for compo next summer, or wait til right near the end of the window, or January.

Yep, LM’s comments weren’t helpful either were they?  If you want him to stay, blow smoke up his arse.  If you’re gonna sell him, blow smoke up his arse.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If,as suggested we're asking 5-8 mil,, aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot to some extent??

I'd rather we sold in this window for say 2-3 mil than the alternative.

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember the West Ham one at the London Stadium.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Compared to other goal-scorers we’ve seen at AG in the last few years Tommy doesn’t feature in my top five. Goater, Maynard, Thorpe, Brooker, Murray and going back a bit further, Tom Richie and BoB Taylor.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is true even at the top level. It's striking how often even the best players shoot straight at the keeper when 1v1.

Indeed Gary Lineker often remarks how players no longer take the ball around the keeper or if they do they choose the wrong side.

Perfection is not to be found.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Compared to other goal-scorers we’ve seen at AG in the last few years Tommy doesn’t feature in my top five. Goater, Maynard, Thorpe, Brooker, Murray and going back a bit further, Tom Richie and BoB Taylor.

I’d say they were all players more established in their careers at the time and had greater experience than TC.

He may well be more clinical when he is older and more established in the game 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d say they were all players more established in their careers at the time and had greater experience than TC.

He may well be more clinical when he is older and more established in the game 

I get that BD - I’m just assessing him on what I’ve seen.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Some fans seem to forget

These top forwards that "Miss" 1v 1 chances are up against top goalkeeper who also work on 1v1s 

Conway is not a top forward and has lots to learn yet.  Humility would be a priority for him.  The club has nurtured him and helped him from a young age and all he does it want to shaft us.

No issues with him wanting to leave but he should have been honest with the club and at least allow us to get a fee rather than trying to run his contract down.  No loyalty.

If he doesn’t go but him with u21 for a season…

who cares about him!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Nigelmalta said:

Conway is not a top forward and has lots to learn yet.  Humility would be a priority for him.  The club has nurtured him and helped him from a young age and all he does it want to shaft us.

No issues with him wanting to leave but he should have been honest with the club and at least allow us to get a fee rather than trying to run his contract down.  No loyalty.

If he doesn’t go but him with u21 for a season…

who cares about him!!

While I agree with the sentiment, we've no idea if he's trying to 'shaft us'.

Without a signed deal, as I mentioned yesterday, we would get the compensation at the end of this coming season regardless.

If the deal is signed, with a release clause, we all win, we get a TC motivated to push for a move, TC stays in the limelight etc etc but, if no deal is signed, we get our 2nd striker who should jump ahead of TC as that player wants to be with us, leaving TC rotting on the bench at best or not involved whatsoever.

If it's down to the advice he's getting, I would hope it's being questioned but if TC, plus his advisors try to force the club in any way, play hardball City as we won't lose anything regardless and let him enjoy the HPC with the young 'uns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

If,as suggested we're asking 5-8 mil,, aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot to some extent??

I'd rather we sold in this window for say 2-3 mil than the alternative.

Yeah, quite possibly.

For whatever reason it’s ending up being a situation / timing where we aren’t likely to be able to sell for (what i think is) his true worth.

• Like 1

If the low bids are true, and people are outraged by that & find it cheeky/unprofessional….

I’d advise, do not look up our dealings with Burnley for twine in January, our dealings with Burnley for twine in June & July, our approach in getting Mayulu in from Rapid, or our approach in trying to get the lad from Auxerre in 🙈🤣

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There will be plenty of interest in Tommy Conway, what there might not be is bids (at this point).  I know of one “bigger” club interested, they control when and if they bid (this summer).

Bigger club , he’s surely not thinking of signing for Rovers is he 👀

8 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Seriously just tell them to do one , pathetic offer all round , whatever said in here he is worth a decent amount more than that, no need to sell get what you can from him , if January want to cash in for best you can get so be it , but frankly not even worth thinking about 

Agreed . We’d get more than £400k at a tribunal !!! His head’s turned by Scotty’s move to Bournemouth but they’re totally different players with different skill sets . Just sign the bloody contract Tommy and if you can score 20 goals next season rather than a dozen then maybe you’ll get your move !! 

25 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Agreed . We’d get more than £400k at a tribunal !!! His head’s turned by Scotty’s move to Bournemouth but they’re totally different players with different skill sets . Just sign the bloody contract Tommy and if you can score 20 goals next season rather than a dozen then maybe you’ll get your move !! 

I’m pretty sure Tommy Conway is aware that he has a different skill set to Alex Scott.

Are you unhappy with his goal return last season ? Personally when you look at the bigger picture of his and the clubs season then I don’t think it was a bad return.

Maybe he’s not rushing to sign a contract as throughout the summer he’s heard the clubs hierarchy discuss how they want to buy a striker with a different skill set to TC in order to play a style that the management prefers.

So I’m guessing he maybe doesn’t think he’ll get the opportunity to get 20 goals next season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

Edinburgh clubs were showing a slight interest but not at the price we quoted them initially.

That's funny. 

I very much doubt if clubs make an enquiry these days without having first spoken to the players agent. In this case Tommys agent would have said "you can't afford our wage demands" 

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

If Rangers do want TC, would it be beyond the realms of possibility that we look at their fringe players as part of a deal?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sam-lammers/profil/spieler/386914

Just returned from a loan in Holland.

He’s going to be on miles more than any of our players.

No chance he’s in our sights, much more likely we are looking at someone in the Swiss Third Division or Belgian Second Division..

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Out of interest, does anyone know when Ross and TC report back? Is it tomorrow? 

Both currently wallowing in there beer with the rest of the so called best fans in the world ( tartan army ) 😂😂

whilst Englands so called thug fans are currently singing and dancing there way around Germany and having a great time and if you seen the vids Benidorm & Tenerife aswell 

• Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s going to be on miles more than any of our players.

No chance he’s in our sights, much more likely we are looking at someone in the Swiss Third Division or Belgian Second Division..

Indeed, £18k a week and this one of the more conservative sites. 😞

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-premiership/rangers/

1 hour ago, Terry Boyle's Perm said:

A swap for Cantwell or Hagi would be fair. Understand the wages argument though 

Cantwell is an arse.

As far as TC goes, we can debate his worth all we like, but it will be the market that decides.   I'd rather sell now and get something, rather than wait until Jan or let him go on a free next summer.   If he isn't gonna sign a contract then best he goes for all concerned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Cantwell is an arse.

As far as TC goes, we can debate his worth all we like, but it will be the market that decides.   I'd rather sell now and get something, rather than wait until Jan or let him go on a free next summer.   If he isn't gonna sign a contract then best he goes for all concerned. 

100%, Liam won’t be putting him in the shop window if committed players are producing that’s for sure. He’ll end up very pissed off with splinters up his arse every week.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

100%, Liam won’t be putting him in the shop window if committed players are producing that’s for sure. He’ll end up very pissed off with splinters up his arse every week.

surely if he plays him until january,tommy will run his socks off trying to sell himself which would benefit the team more than splintering his arse. do that for the final third of the season

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

surely if he plays him until january,tommy will run his socks off trying to sell himself which would benefit the team more than splintering his arse. do that for the final third of the season

......or he's been told by a suitor," we'll buy you in January, providing you're not injured."

• Like 2

On 07/07/2024 at 13:04, Glen hump said:

Can’t put my finger on it but Tommy looks different.

He's Scottish now - didn't you know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

......or he's been told by a suitor," we'll buy you in January, providing you're not injured."

didnt think of that and a strong possibility too with our track record

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

He “goes” pre-contrast in January too, for any clubs outside of the English FA.

On 07/07/2024 at 22:26, Back of the Dolman said:

the summer he’s heard the clubs hierarchy discuss how they want to buy a striker with a different skill set to TC in order to play a style that the management prefers.

This could hold water if he had signed the contract that was on the table when Nigel Pearson was here. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

This could hold water if he had signed the contract that was on the table when Nigel Pearson was here. 

Or maybe he had more of an idea what was going on behind the scenes at that time than we did ?

I think people forget that this is his job, to us it’s playing football for the team we support but it’s these players careers and I’m sure we’d all want to get the best deal possible or maybe we might wait and see how things are panning out before we decide on our future and sign a contract that we then might regret 

14 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Or maybe he had more of an idea what was going on behind the scenes at that time than we did ?

I think people forget that this is his job, to us it’s playing football for the team we support but it’s these players careers and I’m sure we’d all want to get the best deal possible or maybe we might wait and see how things are panning out before we decide on our future and sign a contract that we then might regret 

Nothing is guaranteed in the life of a professional athlete so I understand why he might take his time to identify the best forward move for his career however, he appears to be gambling with his future. 

I sound more and more like Robbored ! 
I’m a celebrity get me out of here. 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nothing is guaranteed in the life of a professional athlete so I understand why he might take his time to identify the best forward move for his career however, he appears to be gambling with his future. 

I sound more and more like Robbored ! 
I’m a celebrity get me out of here. 

Hopefully the matter will be resolved in the best interests of all parties 

What is clear is that last summer he didn’t sign a contract under Nige.  That might’ve been because of a potential move to Celtic that didn’t happen and then he got injured.  Whether he might’ve signed after the window closed who knows.

But nothing seems to have changed and he isn’t signing one under Manning, not at this stage anyway.  Whether you look at the playing style and conduciveness of that for Tommy, or even some of the words coming out of the club to fans, it doesn't smack of trying to win him around, does it?

I think there will be interested clubs out there that fit Tommy and his aspirations more than Bristol City.  Whether they will part with their money for the required amount, now, August or January is a big unknown.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

If I was Liam I would be giving the lads that want to be here the first opportunity and **** Conway until they lose form or we injured. His prerogative to piss off, no issue with that, and ours not to select him unless we have to, no issue with that either.

• Like 10
  • Robin 1

Whilst I want Tommy to stay and sign a contract as I think he is a talent that will come good, we cant be held to ransom if he thinks he will be better off elsewhere, cant blame if he can get a big move, but don't think he is ready for it, and whilst we can give excuses about systems, he did not do enough or was good enough a lot of games last year, so perhaps we are better off taking the money and finding someone else if he is not prepared to commit

• Like 1

Unless  we got a few more players  in the bag coming  in ,we're going  to start the season much weaker,very uninspiring  so  far ,both massive  gambles. 

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 3

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Unless  we got a few more players  in the bag coming  in ,we're going  to start the season much weaker,very uninspiring  so  far ,both massive  gambles. 

You appear to be a "half-empty" kind of  a person.

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Who did you seriously think we’d be bringing in?

Despite the nonsense of some saying Manning was going to be backed more than Pearson, it’s the same mantra from Lansdown.

Low cost signings & look to make a big sale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 95red said:

Who did you think we would be in the market for? You could argue Rob Dickie was a gamble because QPR fans said he was crap in his last season for them. Gambling is the market we are in.

If Steve announced a huge war chest going into the season and we signed the two lads we have you may have a point but you need to realise our hierarchy don’t always tell the truth (proven) and we are shopping in budget stores.

If anyone says they have been duped into buying a season ticket, and some will claim that, then all I can say to them is they must have had their head up their arse since Nige was sacked.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Who did you seriously think we’d be bringing in?

Despite the nonsense of some saying Manning was going to be backed more than Pearson, it’s the same mantra from Lansdown.

Low cost signings & look to make a big sale.

Spend several million on Mayulu, don't recall Pearson spending that on one player. 

Whether the signings turn out to be any good, or if it's fair to not backed Pearson, are separate conversations, but the club are definitely backing Manning more than they did Pearson.

• Hmmm 1

12 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Spend several million on Mayulu, don't recall Pearson spending that on one player. 

Whether the signings turn out to be any good, or if it's fair to not backed Pearson, are separate conversations, but the club are definitely backing Manning more than they did Pearson.

Atkinson wasn’t far behind, TGH was circa £2m, Knight too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 95red said:

Are we much weaker? 

James is a loss, but we signed Max Bird. Wouldn’t say this is much weaker.

Then we lost some youth players who weren’t good enough, and a loan (Twine). But brought in Stokes, Yu, Fally. Again wouldn’t say this is much weaker. 

Plus likely to sign a 10, and another striker. 

• Like 2