IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Harry maguire’ we tried to be clever last minute and change our offer.

21 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

Thank you, I hadn't seen this documented only some gossip. So that's two in 22 years then 

That wasn’t SL that was someone else. And that person was removed by the club (SL) soon after to allow Ashton to come in. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Thanks 2

I feel like a lot of people are skipping over the fact Conway was negotiating with Celtic last year. Its just wrong against Bristol City , half of a breakthrough season and trying to leave , talk about running before walking. He has made his bed imo.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I feel like a lot of people are skipping over the fact Conway was negotiating with Celtic last year. Its just wrong against Bristol City , half of a breakthrough season and trying to leave , talk about running before walking. He has made his bed imo.

*Isn't that football to some degree though? Bids in, move doesn't happen back to it.

*Assuming no Rules broken or impropriety of course but it would seem strange to take action a year later if that was the case.

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Who was the guy in FB podcast who said this? How do we know he’s ITK. Very bold saying that confidently in a video. 

@NcnsBcfc was the other person on FBC.  He heard this last summer(ish).

16 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

The Gray deal from memory was Cotterill's work and basically meant spending the whole budget on one player didn't it? Again I am genuinely asking because these things change and disappear into folk lore over the years. I didn't know we had an option on Matt Smith and I literally have no idea who Jamie Murphy is?  

I hate saying this because I can see I am starting to sound like Robbored, but it's from a period I was so busy I didn't have much time for the club gossip.

No, we”d agreed Maguire too.

We spent a darn sight more in that year on loans and wages than we would’ve with these two and Fredericks.

They don’t disappear and change.  Only people’s short term recollection of them disappear and change.

Jamie Murphy ripped us a new one for Sheffield Inited and Brighton.  Speedster wide forward / winger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I will only provide one or two figures but our losses pre transfer activity was..

Reckon at the start of the summer we had £8-9mish with which to strengthen the team. Strengthen the base.

Screenshot_20240728-172146_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.abe38e362605b212aab47d427f3cb6e7.jpg

I've taken the 2015 Wage Bill and the uptick in income as part of my workings.

Assume we sign Maguire, Gray, Kodjia on existing terms what is left of that £8-9mish.

Remember fees are Amortised etc.

12 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

No it was sl 

7 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Oh no it wasn’t!

6 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Oh yes it was

He’s behind you 

(sorry, but this thread has had nothing new since page 2)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well yes, that seems to be the case.

Wrong as it seems can't we cut him a bit of slack? At the time he was 20, or just about to be 21. He'd seen his mate to Bournemouth for a lot of money, and no doubt he had an avaricious agent in his ear. Seems fairly obvious to me that he'd had his head turned, maybe listened to the wrong advice and then went on to do the wrong thing. Can no allowance be made for an indiscretion or were we all perfect at that age?

• Like 1

Hypothetically had we signed all 3

GK:

Fielding, O'Leary

DF:

Little, Ayling, Flint , Maguire, Williams, Bryan

MF:

Freeman, Pack, Smith, Reid, Wagstaff

FW:

Gray, Kodjia, Wilbraham, Agard, Burns

How much cash left to strength the rest of the squad of that £8-9m? Do we need another 6 players, 7?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@NcnsBcfc was the other person on FBC.  He heard this last summer(ish).

No, we”d agreed Maguire too.

We spent a darn sight more in that year on loans and wages than we would’ve with these two and Fredericks.

They don’t disappear and change.  Only people’s short term recollection of them disappear and change.

Jamie Murphy ripped us a new one for Sheffield Inited and Brighton.  Speedster wide forward / winger.

I looked Murphy up and it looks like his career took a sharp down turn so maybe we dodged a bullet?

The only reason I am asking these questions is not because I am making apologies for SL as he is big enough and ugly enough to do that himself, but because the criticism should be fair and accurate, not based on hearsay and assumptions. 

It should also be consistent, if we had sold Conway last summer or even in January, we would have had post after post referencing the "nest egg" quote, and our lack of ambition. Now we have a situation where the same player is apparently being devalued by the club and we have people moaning about their actions costing the club money and that we should have sold when his stock was high. 

Edited by Portishead Puffin
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Malago said:

It’s a lose lose situation at the moment.  Tommy faces a year without first team football and City face paying a years wages and seeing him walk next summer below market value.

Surely, the answer is for Tommy to sign a new contract with a buy out clause (£5 million say).  He can then be reintegrated into the first team knowing he can move on if we receive a serious offer.

Given Tommy feels let down, underpaid and taken advantage of by his employer, how keen do you think he’d be to sign a contract that gets them £5m when he can sit patiently for 12months and get some of that as an improved contract/signing bonus himself due to the fee being very low?

23 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

I looked Murphy up and it looks like his career took a sharp down turn so maybe we dodged a bullet?

The only reason I am asking these questions is not because I am making apologies for SL as he is big enough and ugly enough to do that himself, but because the criticism should be fair and accurate, not based on hearsay and assumptions. 

It should also be consistent, if we had sold Conway last summer or even in January, we would have had post after post referencing the "nest egg" quote, and our lack of ambition. Now we have a situation where the same player is apparently being devalued by the club and we have people moaning about their actions costing the club money and that we should have sold when his stock was high. 

The same Jamie Murphy who appeared almost 80 times in two seasons for firstly playoff Brighton, and then promoted Brighton in 15/16 and 16/17 respectively?  Then went to Rangers.

He did his ACL in 18/19.  That would still have been 2-3 top seasons.  Hardly dodging a bullet.

+++++

Pelling intervened, whether it was on SL’s behalf who knows, but he got sacked shortly afterwards.

+++++

Nest Egg is nothing to do with Conway really, it’s to do with selling Scott and not reinvesting in last summer’s window.  Plus the crassness of “if we can sell a player for £25m every year” comment, which is bonkers.  He doesn’t help himself does he?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Portishead Puffin said:

Sharp down turn winning promotion to the prem?! 😅

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Given Tommy feels let down, underpaid and taken advantage of by his employer, how keen do you think he’d be to sign a contract that gets them £5m when he can sit patiently for 12months and get some of that as an improved contract/signing bonus himself due to the fee being very low?

Depends who it is offering, if its somewhere he's happy to go anyway he'll be off rather than wait

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The same Jamie Murphy who appeared almost 80 times in two seasons for firstly playoff Brighton, and then promoted Brighton in 15/16 and 16/17 respectively?  Then went to Rangers.

He did his ACL in 18/19.  That would still have been 2-3 top seasons.  Hardly dodging a bullet

49 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sharp down turn winning promotion to the prem?! 😅

Thanks, fair enough, not a name that sticks out to me but he sounds wonderful. :)

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I bet Vyner remembers him

That midweek game, his second appearance having made his debut at MK Dons on the weekend must’ve been a bit of a “this is tier 2 football” moment for him!

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Depends what’s more important to him, more money (he’s already a rich young man) or a year of his footballing career.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

Depends what’s more important to him, more money (he’s already a rich young man) or a year of his footballing career.

He’s getting paid either way, still think he’ll be off very soon.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Probably with our blessings tbh in the hope that Celtic paid us a huge fee for him. 

It's football. It happens all the time. We have done it and are probably doing it now. We can't then complain when it happens to us. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Somebody gets it. Should have been the opening post of this thread. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Somebody gets it. Should have been the opening post of this thread. 

As I posted earlier, this wasn’t Conway going behind City’s back.  From what I was told, it was City and Celtic trying to reach an agreement on a fee, Tommy fully aware.  City offering Tommy a deal trying to get him to stay.

This thread is the only time I’ve heard that Tommy acted out of order.  But who knows?

@NcnsBcfc can you confirm the details you gave on FBC?  Because I don’t think you intimated that Tommy was negotiating with Celtic without City’s knowledge.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

If conway actually travelled over to Scotland to sit down with another club and negotiate verbal terms as the post said thats litrally a stackable offence and probably a breach of contract. 

That’s not how it works at all. Celtic could’ve approached TC’s agent and agreed personal terms that way, before opening talks with City over bringing him to Parkhead. That’s common practice nowadays. His agent would’ve known City’s offer and Celtic’s offer. 

If talks between the clubs broke down over a fee, City subsequently lowering the contract offer - all while publicly stating a contract to make him one of our highest earners remained on the table - is as naive as it is utterly disrespectful IMO. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Depends who it is offering, if its somewhere he's happy to go anyway he'll be off rather than wait

My point was in counter to suggestions he should sign a new deal with a minimum release fee.

Some people are for too happy to beat the club up on pure guesses and rumour. There's no proof of the majority of this and I do wonder why some pertain to be City fans when all they do is castigate BCFC? You sure you're reds as I have my doubts about some?

• Like 12
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

If conway actually travelled over to Scotland to sit down with another club and negotiate verbal terms as the post said thats litrally a stackable offence and probably a breach of contract. 

its within everybodys rights to see what's available to them......... in life & football :nono: :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, bpexile said:

its within everybodys rights to see what's available to them......... in life & football :nono: :facepalm:

Yes albeit if TC or to a lesser extent TC did so last summer without consent etc.. well I doubt this was the case but if it was, that is a serious breach.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes albeit if TC or to a lesser extent TC did so last summer without consent etc.. well I doubt this was the case but if it was, that is a serious breach.

I was talking more in general, not at all condoning any breach. I know from my life experiences that I was better off having options available rather than wait until I was unemployed, rather than try & secure new employment.

No argument intended Mr Pop, life's toooo short :thumbsup:.

Edited by bpexile
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I was talking more in general, not at all condoning any breach. I know from my life experiences that I was better off having options available rather than wait until I was unemployed rather than try & secure new employment.

No argument intended Mr Pop, life's toooo short :thumbsup:.

That's fair and yeah I get that bpexile- strike while the iron is hot, get something from a position of strength etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bpexile said:

The rules are quite clear, so the sooner this messy TC saga is sorted the better it will be for all parties :thumbsup:

Yep, whichever side of the fence you sit on, or directly on it…it would be good to get it sorted, however that happens.

• Like 2

From a purely business viewpoint it is slightly bizarre that a new contract with a fair release clause couldn’t have been agreed in January, I cannot see who would lose from it. TC old contract is so far off his value in todays market that even 6/8 months of improved contract would be material to him. 

From the outside it’s so illogical, a player playing at his level currently, on a fair to high end contract our side. It’s almost like there must be politics at play. 

Edited by ciderwithtommy

This is the big elephant in the room really.

Just over a month until the window closes, if still here..bloody useful striker go have if his head is right and still by some metrics surely our best striker, otoh the hierarchy backing down...their credibility?

Dunno if it would be a great look- I assume it was some kinda joint call or did Manning so we think get the final say.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

What happens if he is still with us going into September, does he suddenly get involved with the first team again or will him training with the U21's go on an on?

He is training with the U21 because he wants a transfer and will not be with BCFC after 1st September.  If no one buys him, he will be with us until at least 1st January.   In this scenario both parties are grown up so my assumption would be Tommy will be back with the first team squad.   Same as if we take a player on loan on the last day of the window.    

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I'm sure there is always other clubs talking to players agents about "possible" interest and future transfers. There is nothing wrong with agents looking to do what's best for their client. The same thing would have happened with Vyner before he signed his contract that I believe makes him the highest paid player at the club.

Agents will often use other clubs interest to agree a new contract for their player. It's happened twice to us in the last year with the Bolton lad and of course the Croat from Dynamo Zagreb this summer.

There's no way TC would have been talking to Celtic at all without City's agreement, that just wouldn't happen; agents yes, players no.

However from my understanding things were at a pretty advanced stage and Conway thought he was going (it got that far). City had produced a new contract offer whilst he was talking to Celtic (along the lines of the agent negotiating strategy outlined above).

When the move broke down (I don't know why, these things happen) the player and his agent went back to City to discuss the contract that had been offered, they found it had been withdrawn and a new contract on lesser terms was now being offered.

As I said, City were quite within their rights to renegotiate it, if they wanted to. But it obviously compounded the disappointment of the move breaking down and led to, no doubt a breakdown in the working relationship and that is where we find ourselves 12 months later.

I can't think of another club that places its most expensive asset in the Under 21s.

Look at Brentford with Toney, or Liverpool with Salah. Both going into their final year of contract, both not signing a new one. You protect the value of your asset, not diminish it. It's like selling a house and knocking down one of the walls because you want to, it'll have an effect on the selling price.

All seems very petty from City at the moment with Conway and I'm sure clubs are looking on thinking something drastic has happened between the two parties. 

Whose is at fault now is neither here nor there. The club will suffer from A) Not having Conway available for selection and B) a constantly diminishing asset that was once thought to be our next golden egg.

I'm sure Conway is particularly p##### about the value that City have put on him. A value that given the situation no club really would be willing to pay.

Cue a standoff that benefits neither party.

if Conway had signed the first contract offered, we wouldnt be here now. He chose not to "to test the water elsewhere" - thats on him.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If our new strikers are scoring or looking sharp and settling well, and the team are okay then maybe a point of principle kicks in.

If they take time to settle...hmm that gets much more interesting.

Yeah, I don't like the scenario whereby Conway couldn't secure a move, City are struggling to score goals and the club have to consider a u-turn.

I still think a loan move would bail the club out in that scenario though. There's always going to be a team out there willing to take his wages on for an extra striker (surely?!) Would we be able to negotiate a good loan fee though?

Appreciate the goals issue still remains, but really, I think we've got enough goals in the squad to not worry about one player. It's a team / coaching issue if we don't score goals.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

What happens if he is still with us going into September, does he suddenly get involved with the first team again or will him training with the U21's go on an on?

Given their reasoning, if the reasons are true & genuine then I don’t see how he doesn’t do anything other than train with the u21s for the full season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, I don't like the scenario whereby Conway couldn't secure a move, City are struggling to score goals and the club have to consider a u-turn.

I still think a loan move would bail the club out in that scenario though. There's always going to be a team out there willing to take his wages on for an extra striker (surely?!) Would we be able to negotiate a good loan fee though?

How does that benefit us? We’d be better off either selling him for what we can get or playing him as he’s still under contract. The current situation helps nobody. It’s ridiculous really.

Edited by Ziderarmy

2 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

From a purely business viewpoint it is slightly bizarre that a new contract with a fair release clause couldn’t have been agreed in January, I cannot see who would lose from it. TC old contract is so far off his value in todays market that even 6/8 months of improved contract would be material to him. 

From the outside it’s so illogical, a player playing at his level currently, on a fair to high end contract our side. It’s almost like there must be politics at play. 

Sadly, it comes down to poor communication and ego's, it's not specific to our club, football, or even just sport. I am sure many of us have worked in similar situations sometimes as  direct participants, sometimes as bystanders trying not to take sides. 

It's not often people can put these things to one side and let bygones be bygones, Gary Johnson did it after he fell out with Michael McIndoe, and I think Colin has done it with just about every player he has worked with :). But I think there is probably too much water under this particular bridge now.

• Like 1

Just now, Ziderarmy said:

How does that benefit us? We’d be better off either selling him for what we can get or playing him as he’s still under contract. The current situation helps nobody. It’s ridiculous really.

A loan would benefit us much more than him playing in the U21s is what I'm saying, IF we can't find a buyer.

Get wages off the books, a small fee and get him out of sight (if not quite out of mind...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thornbury Red said:

if Conway had signed the first contract offered, we wouldnt be here now. He chose not to "to test the water elsewhere" - thats on him.

If we had made clear to him that we will offer you this contract on the proviso you shut down that door right now, that would absolutely hold true. It doesn't sound like that was the case given the bemusement at a lower contract offer coming in. 

Besides that anyway, I think if Celtic come calling you have to explore that opportunity and we as a club should understand that and understand our place in the pecking order. Just as we don't stand in the way of a player when a Premier League club comes calling and meets our valuation - I think you could consider Celtic and Rangers to sit within that pecking order too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 38MC said:

If we had made clear to him that we will offer you this contract on the proviso you shut down that door right now, that would absolutely hold true. It doesn't sound like that was the case given the bemusement at a lower contract offer coming in. 

Besides that anyway, I think if Celtic come calling you have to explore that opportunity and we as a club should understand that and understand our place in the pecking order. Just as we don't stand in the way of a player when a Premier League club comes calling and meets our valuation - I think you could consider Celtic and Rangers to sit within that pecking order too. 

Yeah I think the context is key.

Did we say 'this is a one-time only offer?' If so, the story is totally different. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I can't think of another club that places its most expensive asset in the Under 21s.

TC was not expensive - he came through the academy (so arguably free) and I very much doubt he’s our most valuable asset either. So your comparison with Salah etc are not realistic!

We are in danger of over hyping his worth to City, which regardless of his potential, can only be realised by ensuring he doesn’t go for free. It’s that simple.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I haven’t scrolled thru this entire thread so this may have been previously podted

“Bristol City head coach Liam Manning says he has not fallen out with unsettled Scotland striker Tommy Conway but it will be best if the player leaves the club "sooner rather than later".

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I haven’t scrolled thru this entire thread so this may have been previously podted

“Bristol City head coach Liam Manning says he has not fallen out with unsettled Scotland striker Tommy Conway but it will be best if the player leaves the club "sooner rather than later".

It was. A couple of times.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Only 10 days old that article

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder.

Isn t there historic bad blood between e.g. Tinnion and Coles for one.

I wonder if Martin G is Martin Griffiths of Bristol Sport’s top brass 🤔

• Hmmm 1

39 minutes ago, 38MC said:

If we had made clear to him that we will offer you this contract on the proviso you shut down that door right now, that would absolutely hold true.

Maybe we hoped we were negotiating with this guy:

IMG_3523.jpeg

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sadly, it comes down to poor communication and ego's, it's not specific to our club, football, or even just sport. I am sure many of us have worked in similar situations sometimes as  direct participants, sometimes as bystanders trying not to take sides. 

It's not often people can put these things to one side and let bygones be bygones, Gary Johnson did it after he fell out with Michael McIndoe, and I think Colin has done it with just about every player he has worked with :). But I think there is probably too much water under this particular bridge now.

An important factor (contrast?) to consider, though, is that Neil Warnock, for all his faults, is an experienced, intelligent and very sensible man. 

Just like our (former) own Nigel Pearson, he may sometimes come across as a boorish buffoon, but he is very pragmatic, and I am sure a lot of what he says and does is for the benefit of the cameras, his main objective being to protect and generally do the best for his team.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Thornbury Red said:

The contract offered to him, wasn’t able to be signed, because the one that made it onto paper had lower amounts on it!!!!  So not on him at all.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

TC was not expensive - he came through the academy (so arguably free) and I very much doubt he’s our most valuable asset either. So your comparison with Salah etc are not realistic!

We are in danger of over hyping his worth to City, which regardless of his potential, can only be realised by ensuring he doesn’t go for free. It’s that simple.

Out of interest, can you name another player in our squad that would net us somewhere between £5-8m (the Bristol Post Valuation that said the club were looking for) in transfer profit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Wow not seen that mentioned before 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An important factor (contrast?) to consider, though, is that Neil Warnock, for all his faults, is an experienced, intelligent and very sensible man. 

Just like our (former) own Nigel Pearson, he may sometimes come across as a boorish buffoon, but he is very pragmatic, and I am sure a lot of what he says and does is for the benefit of the cameras, his main objective being to protect and generally do the best for his team.

If that were true he wouldn't throw them under the bus in the first place and risk losing their respect permanently.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Hmmm 1

Putting players in the u-21s is a tactic often used by clubs when they want them to leave, I would guess that we have a deal in place with a club, Conway doesn’t want to join that club, with no offers on the table from clubs Conway fancies city are trying to force him to move.

I would also guess that we need the Conway money to fund the twine deal.  That’s why manning is happy to go along with it as he would rather have twine than Conway.  Also explains why he was happy to go public that it’s his decesion.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Putting players in the u-21s is a tactic often used by clubs when they want them to leave, I would guess that we have a deal in place with a club, Conway doesn’t want to join that club, with no offers on the table from clubs Conway fancies city are trying to force him to move.

I would also guess that we need the Conway money to fund the twine deal.  That’s why manning is happy to go along with it as he would rather have twine than Conway.  Also explains why he was happy to go public that it’s his decesion.

Manning inexperienced and out his depth. Not got balls to tell Conway to face so says it in media

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 6

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, can you name another player in our squad that would net us somewhere between £5-8m (the Bristol Post Valuation that said the club were looking for) in transfer profit?

Vyner?