IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

TC was not expensive - he came through the academy (so arguably free) and I very much doubt he’s our most valuable asset either. So your comparison with Salah etc are not realistic!

We are in danger of over hyping his worth to City, which regardless of his potential, can only be realised by ensuring he doesn’t go for free. It’s that simple.

Ian Gay thinks Conway is worth around £5m. Let's just sat that that valuation would probably be based on some communication he may have had with some in the club (cough...)

I can't think of another player at the club at the moment that is likely to be valued at that sort of level of fee by City, unless you can?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Ian Gay thinks Conway is worth around £5m. Let's just sat that that valuation would probably be based on some communication he may have had with some in the club (cough...)

I can't think of another player at the club at the moment that is likely to be valued at that sort of level of fee by City, unless you can?

I'll be amazed if we get £5M. £2.5M plus add-ons is much more realistic. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Maybe Vyner? Pring?

• Like 1

It is really hard to value players. So subjective.

Who would have thought Stoke get £25m combined plus any add-ons or sell-ons for two centre backs in a side that in one case had 3 bottom half finished (Collins, £10m) and Souttar in the 5th season in the bottom half with 4 prior to that. (£15m).

The latter is very unusual although mid-season panic etc.

33 minutes ago, Redhed123 said:

Vyner?

He’d be the only one in a similar ballpark, agreed….Aand yet we seen to be happy to let that value diminish.  That’s not having a dig at you btw.  Just seems a strange way to go about business.

39 minutes ago, Redhed123 said:

Manning inexperienced and out his depth. Not got balls to tell Conway to face so says it in media

I tend to agree, all whilst Tommy does the right thing of staying quiet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Redhed123 said:

Manning inexperienced and out his depth. Not got balls to tell Conway to face so says it in media

Do we know he hasn't spoken to Tommy? I thought the consensus on here was it was all down to Tinnion anyway?

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Do we know he hasn't spoken to Tommy? I thought the consensus on here was it was all down to Tinnion anyway?

I don’t know who made the call, I think we’ve heard suggestions of it could be any of LM, BT, JL or SL.  Think majority fall on BT as you say.

All I would say is this is the first time LM has had to deal with this situation.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'll be amazed if we get £5M. £2.5M plus add-ons is much more realistic. 

That's the point I think. 

Unrealistic valuation, meaning no bids have been made.

Going to have to drop our expectations and be creative in the structure of any deal.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As to what Conway is worth, hard to say.

Stoke e.g. are valuing Lewis Baker at £2.5m. Final year of deal, peak years if anything starting to go down the other side.

It is easy to say

Conway is worth whatever some club will pay for him not a penny more

If that is £1 thats his worth

No different than anything else your trying to sell

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

It is easy to say

Conway is worth whatever some club will pay for him not a penny more

If that is £1 thats his worth

No different than anything else your trying to sell

I get that but asset prices can be manipulated and inflated, deflated etc too.

However Transfer market is really very subjective.

Just now, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

They need to get off to a better start to challenge strongly. The last 2 seasons it has taken them an age to start getting results.

Ah well this is true. They changed manager in 2022-23 and 2021-22 and perhaps in 2023-24 Akpom saga not being sorted until sometime in August as well as Archer and Giles also not returning.

Latte-Lath took a while to get going but yeah it isn't PL, Old Firm but it is a modest step up IMO.

However they look quite settled now, see also Coventry slow starters the last 2 years- Hamer went post July last year certainly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough is a step up in fairness, I fancy them to strong top 6 contenders this year.

Yep.   Certainly would predict them to finish above us as it stands. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

Should of signed the deal 🤡 

IMG_2629.png

Yeah, about right I’d say in terms of the level. We aren’t a side pushing for top 6 let’s be completely honest about it.

Just want closure on this now.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Yep.   Certainly would predict them to finish above us as it stands. 

They only had two points from the first 7 and had a bottom of the table clash with Sheffield Wednesday in mid September..could've go be bottom.

Some chairmen may have sacked but Gibson kept faith, see also King at Coventry with Robins..they improved.

We sacked the manager in a better position.

• Like 3

take the money  and a nice sell on and run imo. Anything we get is 100% profit on the books and if he goes up with them or has a 20 goal season, at 21 hell have suitors willing to pay a lot more that we will profit from

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah, about right I’d say in terms of the level. We aren’t a side pushing for top 6 let’s be completely honest about it.

Just want closure on this now.

To be fair Middlesbrough only finished 3 places and 7 points ahead of us and according to most on here we had a pretty crap season 😳

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

To be fair Middlesbrough only finished 3 places and 7 points ahead of us and according to most on here we had a pretty crap season 😳

Yeah, a step up, but a fairly small one. 

Wonder how much more he'll be earning there compared to our original offer 👀

15 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

I thought we had a decent season overall. 

Guess it was the club promotion rhetoric and Nigel leaving debacle that soured fans minds. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BLRed said:

take the money  and a nice sell on and run imo. Anything we get is 100% profit on the books and if he goes up with them or has a 20 goal season, at 21 hell have suitors willing to pay a lot more that we will profit from

He's 22 in a week or so.

And that is why the whole thing is so messed up

I don't understand leaving your boyhood club for such a tiny step up to club just as likely to be in the Champ in a year as us and no doubt locked in there for a few years 

Poor form and all this hullabaloo has cost him a much better move and us a lot of money

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yeah, a step up, but a fairly small one. 

Wonder how much more he'll be earning there compared to our original offer 👀

Yep.

Not as big a step up as he and his agent would have liked.

But if this goes through, its probably as good as he could get at this stage in his career.

I hope it goes through.

43 minutes ago, Ashton_Red said:

Should of signed the deal 🤡 

IMG_2629.png

Absolutely zero need to be calling him a clown for not signing a contract. 

Boro pay good wages and will more than likely get to the premier league a long time before we ever do. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Middlesbrough is a step up in fairness, I fancy them to strong top 6 contenders this year.

Do you reckon it is the step up TC was expecting? I don’t. At best it’s an upwardly sideways move. Danny Coles has bossed this one……..,,..

• Like 6

Assuming the £2m + add ons is accurate........

For Bristol City - Slightly disappointing, given the fee we would have been expecting for Conway 6 months ago.

For Conway - Roughly the kind of move he might have been expecting. Although Middlesbrough may look fairly on par with us at first glance, they undoubtedly have more pedigree than us at the top end of the Championship. You can understand Conway thinking that Boro are a better bet for his future than City. I'd imagine they'll offer higher wages than us too. Only question mark - does he start there given that they have Lath?

For Boro - An excellent deal! Probably one of the bargains of the Summer in the Championship.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Do you reckon it is the step up TC was expecting? I don’t. At best it’s an upwardly sideways move. Danny Coles has bossed this one……..,,..

It's a moderate step up but not a major one IMO.

It certainly isn't that next level of Parachute, Old Firm let alone PL- the latter he absolutely wasn't/isn't ready for.

I expect them to have a decent crack at playoffs and perhaps finish top 6.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a moderate step up but not a major one IMO.

It certainly isn't that next level of Parachute, Old Firm let alone PL- the latter he absolutely wasn't/isn't ready for.

I expect them to have a decent crack at playoffs and perhaps finish top 6.

Yeah, Middlesbrough are a decent side, don’t get me wrong but I bet he was expecting a bit more. Still, he’ll be on more dough and get to live in Redcar, what’s not to like?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Funny old life as a professional footballer. Even if Boro are offering 25% more than our best contract, is there any other profession that would leave their friends and family for that? 

I’d be off for a couple of quid 

• Haha 6
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

Will he even be first choice?

If this goes through..

22 next month and a couple of million+.

He won't get the patience afforded to him here, he'll have to hit the groung running.

I hope he does.

Bottom line. It’s currently (and even pre the recent bad blood) the best move for him. They are higher up the food chain than us and whereas we hope to be top six, they expect to be. In the linked thread I named Boro as the level he should be looking at so it’s absolutely no surprise. I also expressed there I’d have advised him to move this summer due to stylistic reasons as much as anything else.

It’s the right move - and a good move - for Conway to be playing regularly at a side who are bigger than us. 

But it will be for significantly less than the club hoped because of how the situation was handled. Is it market value? Probably below, but it’s where we are.

Bottom line is good move for the player, likely sub optimum value for the club. But resolution in all parties interest.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

Just now, bcfc01 said:

If this goes through..

22 next month and a couple of million+.

He won't get the patience afforded to him here, he'll have to hit the groung running.

I hope he does.

I find it very difficult to see him starting ahead of Latte Lath.

Carrick might change up and play 2 out and out strikers I haven’t looked very deeply at the numbers, but I imagine he hasn’t done that very often.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Bottom line. It’s currently (and even pre the recent bad blood) the best move for him. They are higher up the food chain than us and whereas we hope to be top six, they expect to be. In the linked thread I named Boro as the level he should be looking at so it’s absolutely no surprise. I also expressed there I’d have advised him to move this summer due to stylistic reasons as much as anything else.

It’s the right move - and a good move - for Conway to be playing regularly at a side who are bigger than us. 

But it will be for significantly less than the club hoped because of how the situation was handled. Is it market value? Probably below, but it’s where we are.

Bottom line is good move for the player, likely sub optimum value for the club. But resolution in all parties interest.

I would caveat that it's only a good move if he's a regular starter there, and if he fits into Boro's gameplay. Let's see!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

I find it very difficult to see him starting ahead of Latte Lath.

Carrick might change up and play 2 out and out strikers I haven’t looked very deeply at the numbers, but I imagine he hasn’t done that very often.

Sometimes they can go 2 up front and back 3 but not often I imagine.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Assuming the £2m + add ons is accurate........

For Bristol City - Slightly disappointing, given the fee we would have been expecting for Conway 6 months ago.

For Conway - Roughly the kind of move he might have been expecting. Although Middlesbrough may look fairly on par with us at first glance, they undoubtedly have more pedigree than us at the top end of the Championship. You can understand Conway thinking that Boro are a better bet for his future than City. I'd imagine they'll offer higher wages than us too. Only question mark - does he start there given that they have Lath?

For Boro - An excellent deal! Probably one of the bargains of the Summer in the Championship.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Conway wont start ahead of Latte lath.

Strangely teams tend to have more than 11 players.

Last season Latte Lath only started half of Boro’s games.

Good move for him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Do you still want him sacked?

I reackon he is a cocky egotistical little Brat that's just my opinion. So yes I will boo

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1