IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

Can’t help but feel like he’s been really badly advised

All this effing around to go to Boro, for a marginal pay rise? If he really backs himself he’d get a better move with another solid season under his belt - he should have his agent getting city to counter at the very least. At 2m we would better off keeping him at City & go for compensation.

If he does go there, will break him when he faces us at Home & Away - he has no idea how much shit he will get.

Not bitter but he’s is looking a bit of an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, phantom said:

What happens if he is still with us going into September, does he suddenly get involved with the first team again or will him training with the U21's go on an on?

I don't think they've thought that far ahead 🤦‍♂️🤡

• Like 1

Boro fan here. Carrick doesn't play 2 up front unless the world is ending and right now there's no way to shift Latte Lath. Main thing though, is that Latte Lath has never started more than 25 games in a season so I guess we don't know if he can actually stay fit for more than 1/2 a season. If the move does go ahead Conway's going to have to start the season on the bench and try to make an impression or wait for Latte Lath to fall over.

I suppose from Conway's point of view, like any young player, he's betting on himself to prove himself capable of being first choice. 

We do often play with a #10 who is more like a second striker so if he can play a bit deeper and help link up play before getting into the box, he's got two routes into the first team. Our right hand forward is more of an old-fashioned inside forward, playing quite narrow and attacking the corner of the box. That's probably the weakest spot in our forward line because one (Forss) is always injured, one is inconsistent and more of a winger (Jones) and one is a young but very promising kid (Finch). So if Conway can play that role and he does seem to have a decent turn of pace, that might be where he starts the season. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Boro fan here. Carrick doesn't play 2 up front unless the world is ending and right now there's no way to shift Latte Lath. Main thing though, is that Latte Lath has never started more than 25 games in a season so I guess we don't know if he can actually stay fit for more than 1/2 a season. If the move does go ahead Conway's going to have to start the season on the bench and try to make an impression or wait for Latte Lath to fall over.

I suppose from Conway's point of view, like any young player, he's betting on himself to prove himself capable of being first choice. 

We do often play with a #10 who is more like a second striker so if he can play a bit deeper and help link up play before getting into the box, he's got two routes into the first team. Our right hand forward is more of an old-fashioned inside forward, playing quite narrow and attacking the corner of the box. That's probably the weakest spot in our forward line because one (Forss) is always injured, one is inconsistent and more of a winger (Jones) and one is a young but very promising kid (Finch). So if Conway can play that role and he does seem to have a decent turn of pace, that might be where he starts the season. 

Bruce, now is not a good time . :thumbsup:

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Are you not expecting Boro to cash in on Latte Lath? Seen a few rumours and would make sense why you want Conway 

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I certainly wouldn’t have pace as one of Tommys strongest attributes.  I’ve always thought of him as being on the slow side for his size and build.  What he can do is finish though.  For me he’s a 9.  Needs working on his all round game but give him a chance he doesn’t disappoint too often.

he had a spell for us this season where he missed quite a few chances in consecutive games, especially one on ones, but general consensus would be he’s the player you would have wanted them to fall too.

whether he can build on his game and improve to make him more effective and get him into more goal scoring positions in a patient possession based team is anyone’s guess as strength, and intelligence/ movement in and around the box isn’t a strong point.

undoubtably good foundations to work with and well worth a punt like Sinclair Armstrong is for us.

the one difference being Sinclair Armstrong has the pace and the power all teams fear.  Tommy doesn’t.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Are you not expecting Boro to cash in on Latte Lath? Seen a few rumours and would make sense why you want Conway 

Yep, I also keep seeing how young people keep spending all their money on Avocado toast and expensive coffee so the demand is there.

• Haha 2

I'm just glad this is looking to get put behind us. It's been a distraction we didn't need going into a new season. Regardless of their respective records I'm quite excited about what are new signings are made of when it matters in the league. We now need to just close the door on the Twine situation or  pivot to plan B,C or D and get that resolved. 

Edited by RedRoss

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Assuming the £2m + add ons is accurate........

For Bristol City - Slightly disappointing, given the fee we would have been expecting for Conway 6 months ago.

For Conway - Roughly the kind of move he might have been expecting. Although Middlesbrough may look fairly on par with us at first glance, they undoubtedly have more pedigree than us at the top end of the Championship. You can understand Conway thinking that Boro are a better bet for his future than City. I'd imagine they'll offer higher wages than us too. Only question mark - does he start there given that they have Lath?

For Boro - An excellent deal! Probably one of the bargains of the Summer in the Championship.

He would probably have signed for Oxford to end this debacle!

1 hour ago, BLRed said:

take the money  and a nice sell on and run imo. Anything we get is 100% profit on the books and if he goes up with them or has a 20 goal season, at 21 hell have suitors willing to pay a lot more that we will profit from

I don’t think we are in the strongest bargaining position, do you?

I hope we can squeeze as much out of this as possible, or that Boro are just gonna open up the market for other clubs to come in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What makes you think that? 

Because he doesn’t want to sign a new contract, reduced from the original offer, at a team who don’t suit his style of play and he gives up his free time to sign three hours of autographs for kids.

It’s obvious when you think about it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we are in the strongest bargaining position, do you?

I hope we can squeeze as much out of this as possible, or that Boro are just gonna open up the market for other clubs to come in.

Hope it’s the latter @Davefevs - if rumours of Celtic and one or two others being interested are true, hopefully tonight’s news will see this one being resolved in the not too distant future……

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Another Boro fan here.

First of all - Ashton Gate is my favourite away ground, and Bristol is a lovely place!

To answer your question - no. Kieran Scott has come out publicly and said that we have no interest in selling and you'd have to offer eye wateringly high numbers before you even got us to pick up the phone. Current thought is at around £25m minimum.

• Thanks 1

So on the one hand he's an overrated billy big bollocks who isn't as good as he thinks he is and is nowhere near good enough for the PL, yet at the same time how dare he leave for a club in the same division?

Make it make sense!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

No. Like you, we're in a good position in FFP terms and there's no serious interest in him that anyone's aware of. 

I will say, that if I were a Bristol city fan I would be pretty salty about Conway's actions. I don't know the ins and outs about why his relationship with the club seems to have broken down but it doesn't look good. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, MythikRobins said:

I find it very difficult to see him starting ahead of Latte Lath.

Carrick might change up and play 2 out and out strikers I haven’t looked very deeply at the numbers, but I imagine he hasn’t done that very often.

Don't forget there's AFCON this year and Lath will be in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce said:

No. Like you, we're in a good position in FFP terms and there's no serious interest in him that anyone's aware of. 

I will say, that if I were a Bristol city fan I would be pretty salty about Conway's actions. I don't know the ins and outs about why his relationship with the club seems to have broken down but it doesn't look good. 

Ultimately we signed Armstrong from QPR under similar circumstances, that's football. So would be a bit silly to be getting salty about it especially when it's our own clubs actions that didn't see him extend his deal. 

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Because he doesn’t want to sign a new contract, reduced from the original offer, at a team who don’t suit his style of play and he gives up his free time to sign three hours of autographs for kids.

It’s obvious when you think about it.

My little boy was one of those who got Conway to sign his shirt last week at Soccer Shooters. Made his day and what football is all about.

Conway seems a great lad. My opinion is that it’s the club that have screwed it all up (again). 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Assuming the £2m + add ons is accurate........

For Bristol City - Slightly disappointing, given the fee we would have been expecting for Conway 6 months ago.

For Conway - Roughly the kind of move he might have been expecting. Although Middlesbrough may look fairly on par with us at first glance, they undoubtedly have more pedigree than us at the top end of the Championship. You can understand Conway thinking that Boro are a better bet for his future than City. I'd imagine they'll offer higher wages than us too. Only question mark - does he start there given that they have Lath?

For Boro - An excellent deal! Probably one of the bargains of the Summer in the Championship.

Agree, when you get Stansfield quoted at around the £5m mark having had one season, it makes Conway look a snip imho

36 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Can’t help but feel like he’s been really badly advised

All this effing around to go to Boro, for a marginal pay rise? If he really backs himself he’d get a better move with another solid season under his belt - he should have his agent getting city to counter at the very least. At 2m we would better off keeping him at City & go for compensation.

If he does go there, will break him when he faces us at Home & Away - he has no idea how much shit he will get.

Not bitter but he’s is looking a bit of an idiot.

If he’s been badly advised, he needs to own it.  Players don’t have to go with everything their agent says.

I don’t think he looks an idiot at all.  I think Middlesbrough (if that’s where he ends up) is a good move, an upward move.  I think he comes across well, by basically keeping his mouth shut and getting in with things.  But I know others will disagree.

34 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Conway was originally being groomed to play behind the strikers as Weimann’s replacement, but he’s a fine finisher too, and I prefer him as the #9…just saying he has more strings to his bow than being a goal hanger per se.  If you want a data comparison:

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Bruce said:

The club made him a contract offer then withdrew it offering him reduced terms . That seems to be the chain of advents from a few respected individuals . Now Tommy won’t renegotiate & I don’t blame him 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Ben1980 said:

My little boy was one of those who got Conway to sign his shirt last week at Soccer Shooters. Made his day and what football is all about.

Conway seems a great lad. My opinion is that it’s the club that have screwed it all up (again). 

I am sure Tommy is a decent lad and your little boy had a great time but it does not mean the club screwed up, there’s a lot of moving parts to this and blame on both sides , Tommy and his advisors certainly not squeaky clean 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bruce said:

I actually think many of our fans have little to no anger towards Conway. In summary, there seems 3 elements to the saga:

1. We stuck Conway in the U21's for not signing a new contract (note the we put him there, rather than he refused to play).

2. We messed him around contract wise and ultimiately offered him a low wage for a top half Championship striker.

3. Stylistically, Conway and Manning don't seem to fit that well (see the strikers we've brought in this Summer for example). Probably doesn't help that Conway seemed to really click with our previous manager, Pearson, by comparison.

In general, Conway isn't quite the bad egg many of our fans are making him out to be. I think his biggest crime is *supposedly* a few "do you know who I am?" type comments on drunken nights out in Bristol. It certainly seems to be the case that City are at least as, if not more, responsible for the breakdown in rthe elationship.

IMO, you'd be getting a good young player at a cheap price.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The club made him a contract offer then withdrew it offering him reduced terms . That seems to be the chain of advents from a few respected individuals . Now Tommy won’t renegotiate & I don’t blame him 

The reduction thing has been put out there as fact by some , no proof what’s so ever that this happened 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Or flip side of the coin

1. offer contract to a player yet to have a break out season

2. player tries to leave 

3. we offer reduced terms due to lack of loyalty after years of development and money.

i neither agree or disagree with both player of the clubs actions in this tbh but it has been a fiasco to say the least!

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

I am sure Tommy is a decent lad and your little boy had a great time but it does not mean the club screwed up, there’s a lot of moving parts to this and blame on both sides , Tommy and his advisors certainly not squeaky clean 

My gut feeling says his representatives more than him. Putting in the U21s I didn't agree with but maybe there was a very good reason.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a moderate step up but not a major one IMO.

It certainly isn't that next level of Parachute, Old Firm let alone PL- the latter he absolutely wasn't/isn't ready for.

I expect them to have a decent crack at playoffs and perhaps finish top 6.

So how many times have we been in the Prem? 

1 minute ago, JackMarch said:

Or flip side of the coin

2. player tries to leave 

3. we offer reduced terms due to lack of loyalty after years of development and money.

i neither agree or disagree with both player of the clubs actions in this tbh but it has been a fiasco to say the least!

🤷‍♂️

Wasn't 9 (non Penalty) Goals and 3 Assists in 34 League games a bit of a breakout at his age in a midtable side. He was quite clinical too.

He had some okay underlying numbers in other areas on top.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wasn't 9 (non Penalty) Goals and 3 Assists in 34 League games a bit of a breakout at his age in a midtable side. He was quite clinical too.

He had some okay underlying numbers in other areas on top.

Yeah I suppose more of a breakout season than I remember but just playing devils advocate! I like the fella and will be gutted to see him go. 

I think he is a bit of a cocky sh*t but tbh that’s what I’ve always liked about him anyway. Hope he does well, just a shame he doesn’t see himself doing that with his boyhood club🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Would be interesting to know who at the club withdrew the initial offer. Worked out well didn’t it?! Don’t suppose we will ever find out as transparency isn’t their thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bruce said:

We'll never really know the full story. It's really just a massive shame because he's been with us since he was 7 and now he'll likely receive boos when returning. 

It's probably been both sided the breakdown with Conway but I'm sure as a club we've made mistakes. If you pull off the deal at the reported figure. You've got a good finisher who can score all types of goals. Only 21 and plenty of experience in the Championship already. Good luck to him asides from against us (although I wouldn't put it past him scoring against us, he's that sort of player)

• Like 3

There was and isn’t a fallout. Conway wants to leave and that’s it. No point involving him and playing him in preseason as what is the point? Others have been brought in and want to be here so involve them. No brainer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Depends on what you think - it’s all about opinions at the end of the day. The theory about the club reducing their contract offer stacks up with how things have played out in my opinion. Only a few people know what happened. 

Selling our most saleable asset for £2m is a screw up in my opinion. 

Edited by Ben1980
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Cash in on Latte Lath? Are they asking for too Mocha money?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I asked the poster why they would boo him.

Do you boo all opposition players? 

Don't try and get smart, you know exactly the point you were trying to make 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

After the last few months, if this is true, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out! 

🔴⚪

CTID

Personally. Not going to blame Conway when, outside of the contract silliness, he's played heart on sleeve and dealt with fans genuinely and never let, for example, the kids down.

Strikes me as him and heirarchy (namely whoever made of offer, rescinded it, then offered reduced terms) have buggered it up.

It's disrespectful, if a club had done it to us, we'd and others would reject it out of principle.

No different to when Pelling cocked up the possible signing of Maguire and Gray under Cotts after fees had been agreed, and supposedly then reducing the offers to Sheffield United and Luton respectively with the latter both rejecting as being messed about leading to them signing for Hull and Brentford each.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

According to who?

22 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

Would be interesting to know who at the club withdrew the initial offer. Worked out well didn’t it?! Don’t suppose we will ever find out as transparency isn’t their thing. 

:laugh:, if tinnion gives out transfer fee information hes called all sorts, but hes also not transparent!

• Like 3

In fairness I'm perhaps overstating it Idk but surely leaking Undisclosed Fees on local radio is or could be considered breach of contract.

It is the wrong sort of transparency, e.g. this saga is something that would be good to know but good commercial practice means we probably shouldn't- perhaps years and years after the event but no time soon.

9 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Burnley apparently were/are interested but value Tommy at £1M hence the delay re Twine deal. Boro for £2M gives better chance of securing Twine deal so… we wait and see what happens

Burnley interested. No deal to be done there then! 

The last report I read was Boro have made an enquiry. Being as the people at the top of the two clubs are mates I can just see that call. 

SL/JL Hey Gibbo can we leak a story to the media that your shit tip I mean beautiful town/club in the wilderness has made an enquiry

Gibbo. Yeah go ahead guys, but only a moron would believe Conway would come here or effing Burnley! 

14 minutes ago, bristol red said:

Burnley apparently were/are interested but value Tommy at £1M hence the delay re Twine deal. Boro for £2M gives better chance of securing Twine deal so… we wait and see what happens

Nah, calling this now.

If you consider that Liam wants Twine like a horny teenage boy wants Sydney Sweeney, then you do all you can to make the deal happen. If Burnley value Conway at £1m and that means you can do that as leverage to do a deal, you do. And letting them have a player they want smooths the deal for a player we want. In fact, there is even an argument by selling Conway elsewhere we push Twines price up as it loses our leverage. 

So, I think (and happy to be proven wrong) that this is nonsense.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JackMarch said:

Or flip side of the coin

2. player tries to leave 

🤷‍♂️

If it’s true he went to speak to Celtic then the club would have been fully aware of it. It was a bad move imo putting him in the u21’s and I don’t believe for a minute that it was mannings decision . It’s got tinnion’s petty finger prints all over it. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

26 minutes ago, bristol red said:

We wait and see what happens, or the deal will be announced over the next few days….?

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If it’s true he went to speak to Celtic then the club would have been fully aware of it. It was a bad move imo putting him in the u21’s and I don’t believe for a minute that it was mannings decision . It’s got tinnion’s petty finger prints all over it. 

A bit earlier in the thread I think @headhunter probably nailed or close to nailed the scenario. And as he’s only once removed from the boardroom I’m betting it’s close. 😂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Far less than what we paid for Armstrong? 

Armstrong wasn't treated as persona non-gratis at QPR, plus that was two weeks ago, so maybe that's in the thinking? £800k seems a bit low with 33 days of the window left & I think City will see this as a chance for a bidding war to start. It might entice Celtic (if they're still dealing with us) or Rangers to bid, IDK.

Will be pleased if we get anything near £2.5M but I just hope we aren't still trying to peddle TC at unrealistic prices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

End of the day Conway doesn’t suit the way Manning wants to play. I’m not too sure how good Conway is other than latching on to a back pass and taking a few pens. Time will tell. 

Are we sure how good Manning is? I guess time will tell too!

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

The reduction thing has been put out there as fact by some , no proof what’s so ever that this happened 

Whether it’s true or not, whether you believe it to be false, at least ask yourself….why would negotiations stop completely.  Especially if you are happy to accept there is no interest in him.  He’s given up a year’s salary at a I creased wage.  The manager also says he has no problem with Tommy.

In my head it doesn’t add up.

This isn’t “Death in Paradise”, that it’s the same story every week.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While I don’t rate him as much as some, and I can’t imagine he saw himself ending up at Boro, the fee being similar to Armstrong is pretty poor business in my eyes.

10 hours ago, Thornbury Red said:

if Conway had signed the first contract offered, we wouldnt be here now. He chose not to "to test the water elsewhere" - thats on him.

Maybe so but if he was in fact offered a reduced contract then the club has forced this stalemate, imho.

Once again it makes me think people at the top at BCFC are clueless :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

If this goes through..

22 next month and a couple of million+.

He won't get the patience afforded to him here, he'll have to hit the groung running.

I hope he does.

Is it bad to say I hope he doesn’t hit the ground running and that I hope he has a poor season and will regret not signing a contract 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, redsquirrel said:

we have to back him 100% mate,hes the best we got to keep us safe from oblivion

Hey Squirrel I have as you know renewed two season tickets and have a bevy load of OXO’s (sadly not me) going down the Millwall game with mates rates. 

Manning (John and Brian) need to deliver now!

Stand and Deliver!!!!

COYRs 

7 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

we have to back him 100% mate,hes the best we got to keep us safe from oblivion

100%.

He, like Nige and like any other manager that may end up here has a shit hand to work with in terms of two in particular and a generally sketchy structure.

No dedicated specific CEO for a £30-40m turnover business (forget football a sec) I mean really..

Right behind Manning and his staff and the team, it is the others (well no notable view on Rawcliffe) who worry me!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1