IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

According to Northern Echo - interest has been ongoing for some time, guess willing to be patient on deal, now this is out in the open it will be interesting if it draws other interested clubs to the table

"as previously reported by the Northern Echo, Boro were always willing to be patient on the striker front. Conway was identified as a leading target early in the summer and they wanted to see how his situation developed".

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cidercity said:

It’s up to £5 million not a straight £5 million 

Tbh if we managed to get a deal that was worth up to 5 million or near it even if less than half up front it would be a result compared to some of the figures bandied around on here 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately Boro are a bigger, better, more ambitious club than us.  If it was for money, he’d have signed the contract here….he's given up £x thousand per week for a year.

Because that’s City’s mindset.  Offer his £x when Celtic were sniffing, then when they couldn’t agree a fee, there was no need to offer him as much.  You could say “supply and demand”, ie demand gone, Tommy then injured.  He’d have signed that contract, unfortunately they reduced the terms in the one that got put in front of him.

Does that answer it for you?

How do you know the terms we're reduced Fevs? If so it's plain stupidity and short sighted but I wouldn't be at all surprised 

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

Must be X upfront, plus promotion = X, goals  = X. Total £5m.

Does this mean that we should tell Max to let Tommy fill his boots?

And maybe we could help Boro's promotion charge at Ashton Gate in February :ph34r:

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

I imagine this is absolutely full to the brim of add ons, but we’re hardly in a strong negotiation position. 

If another club or two come in, then we will be back in a stronger position. If it's just Boro, not so much.

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I imagine this is absolutely full to the brim of add ons, but we’re hardly in a strong negotiation position. 

50/50 at best I would think.

2 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

I'm sure we will have a bonus on promotion, games played etc.  I have no idea but I'm sure it will be one or more like this. 

I'm sure we will have a sell on clause as standard. I think that we normally do around 20%.  

Usually cited at 10-15% of Profit for sell-on in the wider game, albeit if we are 20% that at least is something. 

2 minutes ago, City Slicker said:

I'm sure we will have a bonus on promotion, games played etc.  I have no idea but I'm sure it will be one or more like this. 

I'm sure we will have a sell on clause as standard. I think that we normally do around 20%.  

I'm sure that the standard sell on clause, will be included but I hope nobody is banking on that money. History tells us more players go backwards than forwards after leaving here but even if they do better themselves it doesn't often translate into money transferring our way for their next move. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It isn’t necessarily about playing with one striker, or counter attacking or anything like that, it’s the collective piece. Teams can play with one striker and that player harrass the defence or they can play with one striker as a target man amongst other things. One up top does not mean the same system, and it is about “intent”.

Per Liam himself, Tommy was told he’d get “different kinds of chances” and we all saw he pressed less and touched the ball less. Our xG was also pretty poor and we didn’t create a load of decent chances so what LM said didn’t come to pass at least in the short term.  That’s probably a collective failing of TC, LM and the wider team.

But, point remains. One up top is not the same everywhere. It just happened our one up top made Conway less effective than other one up top systems might have.

Look let's just simplify this shall we conway is a good instinctive finisher granted but unfortunately that's only 1 part of of a forwards job these days. He isn't strong he isn't quick he has a poor first touch poor passing ability and apart from having a decent fox in the Box brain, while coming slightly deeper he has poor positional awareness to effect the game with any link up play he is far from even considered a top championship striker in my opinion and for me it amazes me he has been willing to create such a shit storm for what.. a few extra quid ? He won't be afforded the time and patience at a club like middlesbrough. he will be bombed out the team straight away it's debatable weather he will even start games there. Just seems like his agent has been in his ear because agents get commission out if any sell.

Edited by BCFC31
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I know others will downplay the £5million and I agree it will be full of add ons ect.

However, to even be talking about a fee reaching that figure, I think we've not done too badly considering the circumstances. If Conway stayed and went for £300k to Celtic next summer, this place would have been up in arms. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

The sooner this ends the better. 

Then we can sign Twine, who has at least 10 days to do his ACL in a routine warm up

To fund Twine with this money would be highly risky, and our record on such things is terrible, joking aside. He's only done one full season in his whole career. That screams walk away to me. More time on the treatment table than on the grass. One of those players for whom a large fart would disturb his pelvis and rule him out for a month.

As for Conway, this should get the ball rolling on bids now. I like him in some ways, but he's not as good as he thinks he is. Time will tell if he develops. In simpler terms, he does not want to be here so not worth sweating over. Best deal possible and move on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Look let's just simplify this shall we conway is a good instinctive finisher granted but unfortunately that's only 1 part of of a forwards job these days. He isn't strong he isn't quick he has a poor first touch poor passing ability and apart from having a decent fox in the Box brain, while coming slightly deeper he has poor positional awareness to effect the game with any link up play he is far from even considered a top championship striker in my opinion and for me it amazes me he has been willing to create such a shit storm for what.. a few extra quid ? He won't be afforded the time and patience at a club like middlesbrough. he will be bombed out the team straight away it's debatable weather he will even start games there. Just seems like his agent has been in his ear because agents get commission out if any sell.

People keep saying Conway is not quick. He's not lightning granted but he's quick enough to outpace most centre backs in the Championship and his willingness to run in behind means he can always pose a threat (something Scotland distinctly lacked in the Euros). The PL would be another story. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

I know others will downplay the £5million and I agree it will be full of add ons ect.

However, to even be talking about a fee reaching that figure, I think we've not done too badly considering the circumstances. If Conway stayed and went for £300k to Celtic next summer, this place would have been up in arms. 

Equally, if he wasn't "one of our own" there would be less drama.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

People keep saying Conway is not quick. He's not lightning granted but he's quick enough to outpace most centre backs in the Championship and his willingness to run in behind means he can always pose a threat (something Scotland distinctly lacked in the Euros). The PL would be another story. 

Our esteemed head coach stopped him running in behind - by design.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

Do we think anyone else could come in now that he has an official bid on the table for him? 

I was thinking Sheff U might come in for him because their attacking options are atrocious for a club that’s just been relegated. 

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

If another club or two come in, then we will be back in a stronger position. If it's just Boro, not so much.

If he’s as good as some say he is. At a couple of million plus add ons,  there will be tons of clubs knocking our door down surely 🤷🏼‍♂️

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Indeed, sell-on clause seems important, but when have we realised much from these? 

Just now, George Rs said:

Do we think anyone else could come in now that he has an official bid on the table for him? 

I was thinking Sheff U might come in for him because their attacking options are atrocious for a club that’s just been relegated. 

More likely to go with established names but possible.

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm sure that the standard sell on clause, will be included but I hope nobody is banking on that money. History tells us more players go backwards than forwards after leaving here but even if they do better themselves it doesn't often translate into money transferring our way for their next move. 

Yeah.

When we needed it badly not saying any went backwards, but the big or even moderate move for Webster, Kelly Brownhill..didn't materialise.

The first had some injuries and dropped off radar a bit, Kelly was linked to Newcastle post Saudi takeover but Parker/Bournemouth sropped that probably, he ia there now on a free- Kompany declared the 3rd unsellable post relegation 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

In limbo between proposed takeover and completion, seem to have to trade quite strongly.

Not quite sell to buy but not far off. Cash Flow predominantly.

• Like 1

The add-ons are the real kicker here, how achievable are they. We probably have to take the deal regardless, and hope we luck out and he meets the add-ons. Hopefully we get promoted with them 🤣 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

BCFC31 knows more than the Middlesborough scouting and recruitment team, more than the myriad of EFL experts and analysts who've frequently listed him as a standout young player, more than Nigel Pearson and Liam Manning. 

The club need to get you involved with our scouting team, clearly. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Possibly Burnley... 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah.

When we needed it badly not saying any went backwards, but the big or even moderate move for Webster, Kelly Brownhill..didn't materialise.

The first had some injuries and dropped off radar a bit, Kelly was linked to Newcastle post Saudi takeover but Parker/Bournemouth sropped that probably, he ia there now on a free- Kompany declared the 3rd unsellable post relegation 2 years ago.

Did she play for City Women Mr P. Can't remember her to be honest.

(apologies for the childish post but I've got cabin fever stuck in my office with no aircon).

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If it is a £5m total deal I would expect £1.5-£2m fee plus add ons. It won’t be £0.5m plus add ons that’s for sure. We will find out soon enough.

Conceivably it could also be £3m plus £2m addons. We just won't know.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Agreed, it could. We just have to wait and see. I think we can say with certainty that it won't be £5m up front and it wont be £0.5m plus add-ons. I suppose Middleborough know that if they wait until the end of the season and put in a derisory offer (i.e. the minimum compo) other clubs will be also be after him with the same derisory offers and it will then be down to who pays the most dough to the player. At that stage, once his contract runs out, we have no say in it and any club putting in the highest bid isn't guaranteed to get him either, someone could offer £55m and if Tommy doesn't want to go there at that point he can say "sod Bristol City's position" and sign for Rangers who might offer £300K!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

• Admin

Club leaks "up to £5m" fee for Conway to show City fans how good they are at negotiating.

Burnley reply "Oh you've come into money! Price for Twine is now £5m cos Parker likes him"

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What is he worth exactly.

I dunno how good or otherwise Osula (Sheffield United) is or could be but Newcastle reportedly might have a go at £10m.

Albeit he has 3 years left there.

Whatever someone’s willing to pay.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George Rs said:

their attacking options are atrocious for a club that’s just been relegated. 

(off main subject but) Agree not huge depth, esp compared to some of the insanely good options they have in defence and midfield now, but Osula, Brewster, and Moore far from 'atrocious'. Think Osula probably has chance of being top scorer in division if they can keep him. And if Brewster could keep fit then he will score goals in a Chris Wilder championship team. 

30 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

It could.

Having seen it reported as a £2m fee yesterday my hunch that is the up front bit, or Boro’s initial offer of it.

The add ons could be anything, say a sum after 25 games & we’re likely to get it, promotion for Boro a bit less so, fact is none of us know & with regards to the clauses, even those on here claiming to be ITK, won’t either.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I'd be pretty happy with that for a player in his last year of contract, already replaced and pure profit in the books. 

• Like 3

Teeside media view….

Middlesbrough should not budge on Tommy Conway offer.

It is easy to see why City want more money upfront for Conway this summer, especially as they are trying to sign Burnley’s Scott Twine after his impressive loan spell in the second half of 2023/24.

However, it is Michael Carrick and co. who hold all of the cards when it comes to a move for Conway.

The player clearly does not want to remain at Bristol City after turning down a new contract recently.

And with Conway already in the final 12 months of his contract, Bristol will have to sell this summer if they are to garner any sort of meaningful fee for the player.

Furthermore, while Conway could prove a useful asset for Middlesbrough, they should not be desperate to sign him.

Emmanuel Latte Lath will lead the line for the North East outfit in 2024/25 so Conway, or any other striker, will be a backup option.

Josh Coburn and Delano Burgzorg can also fill in for the Ivorian if needed next term. They may not be as competent as Conway, but there is no need for Boro to be bullied into a deal with a month of the window still left and plenty of striking options already at the club.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Teeside media view….

It is easy to see why City want more money upfront for Conway this summer, especially as they are trying to sign Burnley’s Scott Twine after his impressive loan spell in the second half of 2023/24.

However, it is Michael Carrick and co. who hold all of the cards when it comes to a move for Conway.

The player clearly does not want to remain at Bristol City after turning down a new contract recently.

And with Conway already in the final 12 months of his contract, Bristol will have to sell this summer if they are to garner any sort of meaningful fee for the player.

Furthermore, while Conway could prove a useful asset for Middlesbrough, they should not be desperate to sign him.

Emmanuel Latte Lath will lead the line for the North East outfit in 2024/25 so Conway, or any other striker, will be a backup option.

Josh Coburn and Delano Burgzorg can also fill in for the Ivorian if needed next term. They may not be as competent as Conway, but there is no need for Boro to be bullied into a deal with a month of the window still left and plenty of striking options already at the club.

trump fake news GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just hope it gets done quickly although I can see it dragging out. Already confirmed by the post it’s heavily incentivised, so Boro have every right to go take it or leave it. They hold all the cards unfortunately 

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not really because that makes no sense, if TC fails to sign a contract back then we end up where we are now having to sell an asset at a reduced price to protect ourselves against effectively leaving for nothing next year. The value for city was in having a signed contract, not saving a few thousand on a contract. Celtic are not the only club out there who could hold an interest in TC, so just because those talks broke down, city still needed to protect its interest and get a contract signed. Interesting if Celtic were interested but could not agree a fee with us, but could now have him for a fraction of that but not come back in (yet maybe)

No that's just your interpretation of the situation, no evidence that we paid Zac higher than we needed too or in fact we ended up paying less than we were prepared to. Twine has ended up more complicated due to Parker coming in.

But you’ll never expand your mind beyond defending the club.

It’s not interpretation, it’s what I was told.  See below.

3 hours ago, JAWS said:

How do you know the terms we're reduced Fevs? If so it's plain stupidity and short sighted but I wouldn't be at all surprised 

I only have it on the word of the person who told me.

Just like we only have it on the word of the club that they made him a fantastic offer, no other basis.

It’s down to each of us what we believe to be the truth, or at least whether we are towards the black and white end of the greying middle.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just like we only have it on the word of the club that they made him a fantastic offer, no other basis.

It’s down to each of us what we believe to be the truth, or at least whether we are towards the black and white end of the greying middle.

I actually can believe they reduced the terms. We (SL) has a history of tinkering (false economy). I also think their interpretation of fantastic offer is probably not a common one

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I said the other day, based on circumstances (regardless of which side of fence you sit on) I thought his current valuation based on a whole heap of factors was around £3m.

Those factors being:

• length of contract remaining
  • training with u21s
  • likely interest at that price point
  • compo next year***

*** as posted before I don’t think that Scotland was his only option.  At £3m most definitely not, but you put off clubs at a price point of £8m+.

Clubs are just biding their time, maximising their bidding position.  Boro have showed their hand, in the media at least, but this is where I’ve never agreed with “there’s been no interest”.  Maybe “no bids”, but that’s very different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

I actually can believe they reduced the terms. We (SL) has a history of tinkering (false economy). I also think their interpretation of fantastic offer is probably not a common one

I see no reason for the person who told me to make this up…and tell me several months ago.

And @NcnsBcfc was told the same / similar last year (much earlier than me).

This wasn’t just something made up when Conway was banished to the u21s the other week.

It could be complete bullshit, but it’s been well constructed and someone played a helluva long-game, made a great prediction it would blow up this summer.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could argue you are not expanding your mind beyond trying to belittle the club, which seems to be the stance your posts have changed to over the last year or so and actually think about if it adds up and makes sense.

- the point i was trying to make to you, it makes no sense to withdraw an offer you are trying to get someone to sign, when in doing so you are financially much worse off and in a weaker position. In other words, great I can save lets say 5k per week on wages with the new offer, but going to loose several million on the player value.

Not saying you were not told this and it was not well intentioned, but does not mean what your ITK has been told is factually in part or fully correct, 

The interpretation comment was actually about what you said about Zac, implying a low ball offer cost us more, you have no way of knowing what BCFC felt was a good deal or their maximum, but tried to spin it that it cost us. Sorry negotiation are not generally how much do you want, ok here you go

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Unless Conway makes his reasons for not wanting to stay at City, we’ll never know the reasons for this sad event in our history.

Apart from Atyeo and perhaps Tom Richie, we have always sold our best goal scorers.

That tells me that apart from one occasion, we are hoping for promotion rather than a determined go for it.

• Like 1

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Unless Conway makes his reasons for not wanting to stay at City, we’ll never know the reasons for this sad event in our history.

Apart from Atyeo and perhaps Tom Richie, we have always sold our best goal scorers.

That tells me that apart from one occasion, we are hoping for promotion rather than a determined go for it.

We retained Maynard until we literally had little choice.

Come Summer 2010 he had been fantastic for 12 to 18 months and just set to enter prime years.

Then he got injured Summer 2010 and was not the same since. Out for months..he lost something with that injury.

By Summer 2011 he wanted out and a mix of injury and attitude didn't help issues and poor career choices didn't help him- we were in a relegation battle and we sold him at the last possible chance for a fee.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Don’t know how to break this to you, we sold Ritchie in 1981..

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Could argue you are not expanding your mind beyond trying to belittle the club, which seems to be the stance your posts have changed to over the last year or so and actually think about if it adds up and makes sense.

- the point i was trying to make to you, it makes no sense to withdraw an offer you are trying to get someone to sign, when in doing so you are financially much worse off and in a weaker position. In other words, great I can save lets say 5k per week on wages with the new offer, but going to loose several million on the player value.

Not saying you were not told this and it was not well intentioned, but does not mean what your ITK has been told is factually in part or fully correct, 

The interpretation comment was actually about what you said about Zac, implying a low ball offer cost us more, you have no way of knowing what BCFC felt was a good deal or their maximum, but tried to spin it that it cost us. Sorry negotiation are not generally how much do you want, ok here you go

My posts / stance on the running of the club beyond the playing side haven’t changed since I started taking an interest in the financial side of things in 2016-17.  That’s well beyond a year, it’s seven / eight years!  Being polite, I don’t think we make the most of the opportunities Bristol City have.

Under Ashton my criticism of recruitment was huge.  If you bother to read my posts now, you’ll see I’m really positive about talent ID and the players we’ve signed…over the last 3 years.

So I think you just read what you want to.  I’m critical of the things I don’t think are very good, and I’ll praise the bits that I think are.

It is totally your prerogative to have your view about my posts.  I can see what you’re trying to piece together, but you couldn’t be further from the truth.

I don’t know why City changed their contract offer.  It doesn’t make sense.  But nor does it for someone to make it up either.

I’ll leave it there.  We aren’t gonna agree, I don’t think we need to either.  It’s OTIB.

• Like 8
  • Flames 5

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

(off main subject but) Agree not huge depth, esp compared to some of the insanely good options they have in defence and midfield now, but Osula, Brewster, and Moore far from 'atrocious'. Think Osula probably has chance of being top scorer in division if they can keep him. And if Brewster could keep fit then he will score goals in a Chris Wilder championship team. 

Osula has scored a two league goals in his career, and both of them in League 1.

He’s got a striker rate similar to Armstrong!

I think chance of being top scorer in the Championship might be a push…

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t know why City changed their contract offer.  It doesn’t make sense.  

If we assume the initial contract offer was made in an attempt to get Conway to turn down the Celtic move.

And.

That move then collapsed at club level rather than personal terms level.

Then.

It makes some sense that we then felt a less generous contract offer was sufficient.

Because.

We were no longer in competition with Celtic.

I'm not saying it is right to offer worse terms at that point, but if that's the thought process (and I'm not ITK so it might not have been) then that's how I make sense of it.

Not sure if the actual timeline of events supports this theory either.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My posts / stance on the running of the club beyond the playing side haven’t changed since I started taking an interest in the financial side of things in 2016-17.  That’s well beyond a year, it’s seven / eight years!  Being polite, I don’t think we make the most of the opportunities Bristol City have.

Under Ashton my criticism of recruitment was huge.  If you bother to read my posts now, you’ll see I’m really positive about talent ID and the players we’ve signed…over the last 3 years.

So I think you just read what you want to.  I’m critical of the things I don’t think are very good, and I’ll praise the bits that I think are.

It is totally your prerogative to have your view about my posts.  I can see what you’re trying to piece together, but you couldn’t be further from the truth.

I don’t know why City changed their contract offer.  It doesn’t make sense.  But nor does it for someone to make it up either.

I’ll leave it there.  We aren’t gonna agree, I don’t think we need to either.  It’s OTIB.

So the change of offer would that have come during Alexander and Pearson reign? Sorry I'm just changing up on this thread and your right it doesn't make sense but in my opinion it's something this club would do.

A Boro fan posted this on Youtube;

Boro fan hear pal from what I’ve seen he’d be a great pick up for us with us only having lath and coburn as natural number 9s with burgzorg probably playing on the wings I can see the price being a problem for us with this transfer eating into our actual funds as previous transfers this window have been funded bye the Roger’s deal to villa last January excited to see how it develops