IGNORED

Tommy Conway - Signs for 'Boro- Official

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I see no reason for the person who told me to make this up…and tell me several months ago.

And @NcnsBcfc was told the same / similar last year (much earlier than me).

This wasn’t just something made up when Conway was banished to the u21s the other week.

It could be complete bullshit, but it’s been well constructed and someone played a helluva long-game, made a great prediction it would blow up this summer.

It is true, not first time club done this, just business 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Disappointed with him if he swaps one average championship club for another. Nothing against ‘Boro and it’s a good deal for us but I hope he remains in the championship for many a year now

I’m with you on this. You’ll get Boro is in a much better position than City. Probably correct. However, how likely are they to be promoted? They can be the 5th-6th best team in the division but with the relegated teams and Leeds still here, they aren’t likely to be promoted. If we have a 1% chance of promotion, Boro have like a 3% chance. Not convinced their offer would blow ours out of the water either.

At the end of the day, he is swapping for a likely small pay rise and slight chance more of promotion to be second or maybe even third choice striker at a club in the same division. 

Like I keep saying though, it is what it is. We wanted him but events led to a breakdown of relationship. We aren’t the first nor the last team to have a situation like this. It is football and it happens. We seem likely to get a decent pure profit on an academy player. It is a win for both parties just to a much lesser extent than they hoped 6-12 months ago. It is the risk of keeping a good player for an extra year. Can’t blame the club for sticking to a price 12 months ago knowing Scott was leaving too. Selling in January would have been crazy too with LM just coming in after NP and uncertainty of whether LM could keep us in the division(by many people not all). We took a chance he could fire in 20 goals and it didn’t happen. Let’s move on

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Disappointed with him if he swaps one average championship club for another. Nothing against ‘Boro and it’s a good deal for us but I hope he remains in the championship for many a year now

He'll be swapping training with the U21s at a championship club for a first team squad place at another if he goes.

I guess we'll see who else this draws into the conversation in the next 32 days ...

i see the Bright lights of Middlesborough are calling? Not quite Bournemouth or Monaco....but a least it's the Cote' De Teeside, where the Villas are not quite so expensive?   Personally I believe this would be a bad decision for his career, but what do I know?  His wages will go up, but his upward momentum might well stall  ?      If we get around 5 Mill for a sidewards departure i would be delighted.  So it's hopefully ........."Farewell Tommy, and thanks for all the Fish?"   PS. I Hope i am wrong.....and,  so good luck young Tommy>

43 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If we assume the initial contract offer was made in an attempt to get Conway to turn down the Celtic move.

And.

That move then collapsed at club level rather than personal terms level.

Then.

It makes some sense that we then felt a less generous contract offer was sufficient.

Because.

We were no longer in competition with Celtic.

I'm not saying it is right to offer worse terms at that point, but if that's the thought process (and I'm not ITK so it might not have been) then that's how I make sense of it.

Not sure if the actual timeline of events supports this theory either.

As I was trying to say to Dave, it make no sense from a business perspective with how much more we are worse if we tried to re-negotiate an offer, as the only real scenario that was good for us was a new TC contract.

With regards Celtic, if we did not want him to go to Celtic, then simple we turn down their offer, we do not have to let a player go or even allow them to speak to another club.

Celtic are only one club who may be interested in TC, so just because they go away it does not stop the next club his agent has touted him to coming along.

As someone else added, this was during the NP / Alexander era so cant even be blamed on BT, the same team many have said how well run we were 

Obviously like every else I do not know the facts of what has happened, but someone puts some 3rd had gossip on here and suddenly its fact when it suits the agenda. FWIW perhaps its true or maybe just an exaggerated story of Chinese whispers, but logic dictates it does not add up,

8 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

He'll be swapping training with the U21s at a championship club for a first team squad place at another if he goes.

I guess we'll see who else this draws into the conversation in the next 32 days ...

Sign a contract and he can come back in from the cold….he’s put himself in That position 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t know how to break this to you, we sold Ritchie in 1981..

Wondered why he hadn't been making the squad at least, I thought he'd just done his hamstring

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Osula has scored a two league goals in his career, and both of them in League 1.

He’s got a striker rate similar to Armstrong!

I think chance of being top scorer in the Championship might be a push…

Let's see. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

If we assume the initial contract offer was made in an attempt to get Conway to turn down the Celtic move.

And.

Then.

It makes some sense that we then felt a less generous contract offer was sufficient.

Because.

I'm not saying it is right to offer worse terms at that point, but if that's the thought process (and I'm not ITK so it might not have been) then that's how I make sense of it.

I’d already used that rationale earlier, but that poster didn’t like it / think it was plausible, so my response was that I couldn’t think of another reason on top of that one! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Street red said:

So the change of offer would that have come during Alexander and Pearson reign? Sorry I'm just changing up on this thread and you’re right it doesn't make sense but in my opinion it's something this club would do.

I don’t know the exact timing I’m afraid.  But I do know from a very good source that Tommy wasn’t gonna sign for Nige either.  So it’s not a Pearson v Manning thing.  I heard several months ago.  @NcnsBcfc heard last year (well before me).  I’ve read some stuff that would give me reason to take it out of Alexander and Pearson’s timeline, but I don’t know the source of that, so will just stick to what I was told.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t know the exact timing I’m afraid.  But I do know from a very good source that Tommy wasn’t gonna sign for Nige either.  So it’s not a Pearson v Manning thing.  I heard several months ago.  @NcnsBcfc heard last year (well before me).  I’ve read some stuff that would give me reason to take it out of Alexander and Pearson’s timeline, but I don’t know the source of that, so will just stick to what I was told.

That's fair enough does sound like for what ever reason Tommy's decision has been made something's definitely influenced that decision.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And.

Then.

Because.

You are exactly right @ExiledAjax. The club were quite within their rights to make the offer they did at the time. 

However it appears the offer was not well received and unlike Vyner or similarly had a very low ball first contract offer, all negotiations were off the table thereafter.

I can only assume that Conway was in somewhat insulted by the offer and took some sort of personal slight around it all.

Vyner however and his agents played an absolute blinder by all accounts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And.

Then.

Because.

In which case its incredibly stupid to offer a player terms beyond what we think they're worth/happy to pay them just because a club is interested in them. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, Street red said:

That's fair enough does sound like for what ever reason Tommy's decision has been made something's definitely influenced that decision.

I think tbh the biggest influence may have been Alex Scott waving bye as he sped off to Bournemouth 🙄

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You are exactly right @ExiledAjax. The club were quite within their rights to make the offer they did at the time. 

However it appears the offer was not well received and unlike Vyner or similarly had a very low ball first contract offer, all negotiations were off the table thereafter.

I can only assume that Conway was in somewhat insulted by the offer and took some sort of personal slight around it all.

As a wise CGI creature once said "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering".

Fear of losing out on something, anger at how one is treated, hatred of someone your dealing with. Many times have these things wrecked otherwise sensible and logical dealings between humans.

Ultimately the Club doesn't lose anything bar a hypothetical few extra pounds in the pot, and in fact has saved paying a player a higher wage for a season. Just as when a goal wrecks an accumulator...you can't lose what you never actually had. 

Maybe it's the sunshine but philosophically I'm content with however this saga ends. Hopefully we get a bit off of some other club, hopefully Conway gets whatever he wants as well.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Street red said:

Yeah,  it rhymes with Fanny Coles

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’d already used that rationale earlier, but that poster didn’t like it / think it was plausible, so my response was that I couldn’t think of another reason on top of that one! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why would the club need TC to turn down the offer? he is under contract and the club have the say if he is sold or not?

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Why would the club need TC to turn down the offer? he is under contract and the club have the say if he is sold or not?

Where did you come up with that assertion?  

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ian proclaims it is £5m just a matter of Payment Structure.

He appears to conflate Cash Flow and Instalments and Add-Ons??

What ever the fee is I just find it madness selling to a championship rival especially a striker.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ian proclaims it is £5m just a matter of Payment Structure.

He appears to conflate Cash Flow and Instalments and Add-Ons??

Unfortunately he doesn’t understand fee / payment structures / add-ons, etc!  It’s not the first time he’s got it wrong.  The last time it was off the back of another transfer and “someone from the club” told him something that is completely out of line with the club’s accounting practices .  He either didn’t listen or didn’t understand.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Take it as we will. Someone suggested it was £2m rising to £5m but Ian seems to muddy the waters.

Screenshot_20240730-202908_Chrome.thumb.jpg.959bbc000072732e1073a08fd15428d0.jpg

That’s so he can say “see I told you my value if £5m was right”.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Take it as we will. Someone suggested it was £2m rising to £5m but Ian seems to muddy the waters.

Screenshot_20240730-202908_Chrome.thumb.jpg.959bbc000072732e1073a08fd15428d0.jpg

Think he’s trying to split hairs & appear mightier than thou, payment structure is clauses and instalments, no?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ian is getting info from senior football source (allegedly!) 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately he doesn’t understand fee / payment structures / add-ons, etc!  It’s not the first time he’s got it wrong.  The last time it was off the back of another transfer and “someone from the club” told him something that is completely out of line with the club’s accounting practices .  He either didn’t listen or didn’t understand.

He allegedly knows more than most based on the HPC connection. Could be any of us, supported Manning and Tinnion in their time of need. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85

It was always going to be 5m in total after Ian declared it on FBC last week. Whilst he didn’t confirm the club had said that, he stated that’s what he thought we’d be looking for. He’s the sort of chap who loves people thinking he’s right. BT has obviously told him it’ll total 5m. One way or another at least. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

*Someone* has tried to explain it to him a few times on Twitter but as you say he perhaps doesn't fully get it. I'm sure that person isn't the only one either.

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Ian is getting info from senior football source (allegedly!) 

He allegedly knows more than most based on the HPC connection. Could be any of us, supported Manning and Tinnion in their time of need. 

That just isn't how it works though.

Is basic Accounting and FFP Rules. Cash Flow, Equity, Loans, Amortisation and Add-Ons are all unique categories.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Street red said:

What ever the fee is I just find it madness selling to a championship rival especially a striker.

Better a few quid than nowt, plus now it's out there with an actual bid it might encourage any other interested parties to enter the room. The Championship is currently his level, no higher at this stage, stick a decent resale % and we may benefit further in the future

1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

It was always going to be 5m in total after Ian declared it on FBC last week. Whilst he didn’t confirm the club had said that, he stated that’s what he thought we’d be looking for. He’s the sort of chap who loves people thinking he’s right. BT has told him it’ll total 5m. 

True, Ian Gay talked as though he'd plucked the figure out of the air, but clearly not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

It was always going to be 5m in total after Ian declared it on FBC last week. Whilst he didn’t confirm the club had said that, he stated that’s what he thought we’d be looking for. He’s the sort of chap who loves people thinking he’s right. BT has told him it’ll total 5m. 

Well Tinnion is being disengenous at best or plain ignorant then.

Unless we have a straight up £5m fee then the only guarantee is the base part of it.

• Like 1

It is disappointing from Tommy. Like many say, it’s hardly the dream move you can’t turn down. If rumours are to be believed, and he just can’t forgive the contract thing a year ago, it is what it is. But it would take a lot more than that for me to leave City, I like to think. Especially if they gave me vast minutes from about 19 years old and were offering me £10-15k a week.

Edit to add - no hard feelings to the fella. Some of the dogs abuse he’s getting on Twitter is a bit ridiculous.

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I called at the time of that Manning day one meet the players video how miserable Tommy looked, plus uninspired from Manning talk. He was a Nige player. 

Yep. Under Nige Tommy ran around with a smile on his face and looked happy. Manning micro-managed him about when he was and was not supposed to press, and it just seemed to strip him of all his natural joy and enthusiasm as a footballer.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Yep. Under Nige Tommy ran around with a smile on his face and looked happy. Manning micro-managed him about when he was and was not supposed to press, and it just seemed to strip him of all his natural joy and enthusiasm as a footballer.

But would not sign a contract under Nige

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Manning stripped me of natural joy for an extended period of the season too 🤣

• Haha 5

18 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

From you reply to ExiledajaxScreenshot_20240730_204432_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9634932667490758f98bec54d152dce7.jpg

No, that’s EA’s post.  I’d never suggest we had to ask Conway to turn down the move.  I’m merely commenting on the “supply and demand” aspect.  🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

32 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

It was always going to be 5m in total after Ian declared it on FBC last week. Whilst he didn’t confirm the club had said that, he stated that’s what he thought we’d be looking for. He’s the sort of chap who loves people thinking he’s right. BT has obviously told him it’ll total 5m. One way or another at least. 

I don't know what he has posted in the last two weeks that makes anyone think this is the case. He is desperate for people to believe it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Now that Boro have submitted an offer, City will now be hoping that Burnley come to the table for Conway in a hope that we can finally get the Twine deal done…..

If Burnley do come in, Boro have laid down the marker re market value.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think it’s very sad a player who has been with the club since age of 8 and benefited from an opportunity in the game which many kids of that age aspire to has decided to want out and join a club in the middle of nowhere. 

Blokes getting a pay rise, and a better chance of playing in the Prem. 

He owes City nothing. 

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Boston Red said:

we don’t know this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Burnley do come in, Boro have laid down the marker re market value.

Is Asante's transfer (WBA to Hull) a place marker re market value, £2.5M.

3 years older than Tommy, decent, record.

• Thanks 1

I've been very much England focused over the summer but totally city oriented now for my 46th season as a fan. Tommy is a good lad and simply looking to improve his career and wages. You can't really argue with his mindset as we would all do the same. I have reported on 2 friendly matches so far and TC has been in around me. He has been his cheeky self and the players around him are still having great friendly banter with him. It's how it works.

If TC moves on then BCFC move on. It really is that simple.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 3

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

Is Asante's transfer (WBA to Hull) a place marker re market value, £2.5M.

3 years older than Tommy, decent, record.

My simplistic response is no two transfer are alike.

According to Dood on X who is very ITK, the transfer fee is £3m….but he also says BTA doesn’t want to leave either.

FWIW BTA has done better at WBA than I thought he would from what I saw at Salford.

Yokuslu off to Turkey, tidy bit of transfer profit for both and wages saved, means they can go into the market.

So a few differences in the scenarios, imho.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know what he has posted in the last two weeks that makes anyone think this is the case. He is desperate for people to believe it.

I think it is pretty obvious he is being fed info regularly by BT. 

And trust me when I say BT has always been loose-lipped. 

Ian is clearly just flavour of the month, at the moment. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Selred said:

Blokes getting a pay rise, and a better chance of playing in the Prem. 

He owes City nothing. 

While you are obviously right in what you say Selred, what a sad state of affairs.

Thousands of kids dream of becoming a professional footballer and very few actually make it.

Bristol City have developed him as a player over more than a decade and have helped him achieve his dream. Whatever offer was on the table, it would have led to him becoming a millionaire over the term of the contract. He is still very young and would have continued to have played alot of football, had he stayed with us.

I don't know Tommy at all and maybe its just a reflection on modern life, but in my opinion, he has left a bit of a sour taste with his actions.

Alex Scott showed how it should be done and he's twice the player Conway will ever be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They met at a senior reds meeting and exchanged numbers (according to Ian).

He will neither confirm or deny that their online love affair started at that point.

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well you had your time Kid 🤣

JK

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

While you are obviously right in what you say Selred, what a sad state of affairs.

Thousands of kids dream of becoming a professional footballer and very few actually make it.

Bristol City have developed him as a player over more than a decade and have helped him achieve his dream. Whatever offer was on the table, it would have led to him becoming a millionaire over the term of the contract. He is still very young and would have continued to have played alot of football, had he stayed with us.

I don't know Tommy at all and maybe its just a reflection on modern life, but in my opinion, he has left a bit of a sour taste with his actions.

Alex Scott showed how it should be done and he's twice the player Conway will ever be.

A contract works two ways. Conway hasn’t said he won’t play for us in his final year, that’s City’s decision. You can’t force him to sign a new contact because he’s been here since 8, same way the likes of kids who we let go in the summer couldn’t force City to give them another year. 

What did Scott do differently?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Selred said:

A contract works two ways. Conway hasn’t said he won’t play for us in his final year, that’s City’s decision. You can’t force him to sign a new contact because he’s been here since 8, same way the likes of kids who we let go in the summer couldn’t force City to give them another year. 

What did Scott do differently?

Again, you're totally correct in what you're saying but i just think it leaves a sour taste when a homegrown player won't sign a new contract and (technically) forces the clubs hand.

I'm probably just old school Selred and i expect a bit more loyalty, but i appreciate we're not in the 80's or 90's anymore and football is purely now a business for most.

He could have easily signed a new contract and if he had continued to score goals next season, his move would have come, just as it did for Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Antoine Semenyo etc etc

A key difference perhaps with Scott was that

A) He was more sought after.

B) Two years left on his deal, club has that but more power at that time.

Had we offered TC a 3+1 year Option back in 2022, we would still be protected quite strongly. I see no real reason as to why he wouldn't have signed that in Summer 2022 say.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Again, you're totally correct in what you're saying but i just think it leaves a sour taste when a homegrown player won't sign a new contract and (technically) forces the clubs hand.

I'm probably just old school Selred and i expect a bit more loyalty, but i appreciate we're not in the 80's or 90's anymore and football is purely now a business for most.

He could have easily signed a new contract and if he had continued to score goals next season, his move would have come, just as it did for Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Antoine Semenyo etc etc

But he equally can take a pay rise now, score goals for Boro and be part of a team going for promotion. Does well at Boro and the door opens for the clubs next step up. 

If Conway ran his contract down, left on a free to join a similar club, I’d understand. But he’s bringing in up to £5m for the club, and joining a better club than City.

Let’s be honest, he ideally wanted a Prem team.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Come on Kid….everyone gets fed by a source over time and sometimes they move on and sometimes they stay…..he’s doing no different from anyone else (if people choose to say things, which not all do to respect the source). Hes currently the most ITK city fan like it or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Come on Kid….everyone gets fed by a source over time and sometimes they move on and sometimes they stay…..he’s doing no different from anyone else (if people choose to say things, which not all do to respect the source). Hes currently the most ITK city fan like it or not. 

he is indeed,  and if he puts something out there that spectacularly backfires, he will be first in the firing line for the comments that will follow.

quite a clever move by tins if he thought of it that way

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Selred said:

But he equally can take a pay rise now, score goals for Boro and be part of a team going for promotion. Does well at Boro and the door opens for the clubs next step up. 

If Conway ran his contract down, left on a free to join a similar club, I’d understand. But he’s bringing in up to £5m for the club, and joining a better club than City.

Let’s be honest, he ideally wanted a Prem team.

He could just as easily not get much game time at boro and end up at the blue few in 2 or 3 years time. Wouldn’t surprise given the agent he has and their obsession with ex city players. Conway won’t be on his 30s by then so maybe he’ll be too young for the retirement home at that stage !!

16 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

He could just as easily not get much game time at boro and end up at the blue few in 2 or 3 years time. Wouldn’t surprise given the agent he has and their obsession with ex city players. Conway won’t be on his 30s by then so maybe he’ll be too young for the retirement home at that stage !!

He is much too good for that lot.

58 minutes ago, Parkgate said:

Good for him - bad for all the otib haters who tried to so hard (and failed) to get in on it.

So exactly which former forum member are you?

Asking for a friend.

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Parkgate said:

Your friend the one who fancied me and then started DMing me constantly talking about sex?

No. I was joking. Sorry if that happened. I thought you might have been the latest incarnation of Lez/Dog.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

This thread goes from strength to strength...

Blimey, I thought it was bad before, this has gone to a whole new level now.

Would I be correct in saying some posters have either enjoyed a beer or 5 or have a bit of sunstroke? 🤯

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blimey, I thought it was bad before, this has gone to a whole new level now.

Would I be correct in saying some posters have either enjoyed a beer or 5 or have a bit of sunstroke? 🤯

Sounds like a ‘REGULAR’ poster has been having a stroke of other sorts. 

• Haha 3